VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

Feeling rather silly, but where is the package with the scripts included for download?

See the ISO's but not the package..

Thanks

Not a problem, you need the vmware-darwin-200.zip file, then update with the wks7 zip version of the darwin.iso, then run the install script, "setup.cmd install" from within the expanded directory. Link below, see the first post by Donk on th is topic.

http://www.filedropper.com/vmware-darwin-200

Not a problem, you need the vmware-darwin-200.zip file, then update with the wks7 zip version of the darwin.iso, then run the install script, "setup.cmd install" from within the expanded directory. Link below, see the first post by Donk on th is topic.

http://www.filedropper.com/vmware-darwin-200

Excellent, thanks for the fast response!

Using Fusion 3, does this;

>> Fusion users can directly select the Mac OS X version from the options menu.

mean I should be able to select a Snow Leopard 64 template using Fusion, rather than editing a FreeBSD 64 template?

Thanks again

I am impressed, this must be the most idiot proof way of installing SL.

It's just as easy as installing SL on a normal mac really (apart from the editing of the vmware config file maybe).

I remember back when OSX 10.4.3 was running quite well in Vmware, and that all ended with the release of 10.4.4, which made it so slow it wasn't feasible to run OSX on Vmware (it reminded me of the pearpc performance :()

Anyway since 10.4.4 I have always installed OSX "native". And without a few exceptions, updating to a new version, always meant, replacing kernels, running terminal commands, (the continuous deleting of don't steal maosx.kext rings a bell). I was still running both Leopard and Snow Leapard on my old Pentium D830 (with patched kernel of course). Since a week I got myself a nice new I7 920 machine, and after installing Windows 7, I wondered if I would still do a dual or triple boot with SL. The fact is that my first two tries (with a patched SL disk and the original Disc, both failed (reboot just after the apple screen). I didn't really tried hard, but this is when I stumbled upon this thread and followed the idiot proof instructions, 30 minutes later OSX SL was happily running in Vmware 7 running on Win7 X64.

Updated to 10.6.2 using software update, installed the updated video and sound drivers, and installed a bunch of programs, all without problems, KP's or forced shutdowns. The machine runs flawlessly. In fact I much prefer it to the "native install", as it makes working so much easier and fun.

Yes there is a big downside to it, one that I guess will not cease to exists any time soon (hell it took vmware three years to get aero working inside a Vm).

So I would just like to thank the people who made this thread really ncie work. The easiest way to install SL (or leopard for that matter) and the performance is pretty good, probably thanks to apple's disire to be taken seriously in the server department (not sure about that one).

Again Thanks every much.

Mac Son of Knife (MSK) is working on it but we also have real day jobs and so will be ready when it's ready. :( I am just reviewing a copy but been laid up with an ear infection for a couple of days so not had chance to give my feedback yet.. I have passed to MSK a new ISO with latest tools and patched boot loader for testing.

I understand this is on the bleeding edge of technology and appreciate what it takes to make it work. My Leopard install works fine (amazed it runs as fast as it does), but always like to push things to (and beyond) the limit.

We are using the VMware in a scientific lab where we need to emulate various machines that have different sorts of software, so this is a good learning experience, but not essential to our days jobs yet... virtualizations of Ubuntu and Windows 98 are life and death matters....

The darwin.iso (VM Tools) provide all the base functionality, and you maust have them running to have SL working. In terms of enhancements go to Zenith432's site and pull down his latest graphics drivers, audio drivers and the guestd package which allows resolution scaling, then you should be cooking on Gas.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/files/

Good luck!

I got Snow Leopard running w/ multiple screen resolutions, Shared Folders and audio late last night after I posted. I used darwin_snow.iso VMware tools and EnsoniqAudioPCI.mpkg.tar.gz kext for the audio.

I have not yet used the darwin-wks7.zip. Again, I am using the VMware Player 3. I assume that zip archive, which contains a single darwin.iso file, is an updated version of VMware tools or is it more than that?

Thx again!

I have not yet used the darwin-wks7.zip. Again, I am using the VMware Player 3. I assume that zip archive, which contains a single darwin.iso file, is an updated version of VMware tools or is it more than that?

Yes, it is based on the Fusion 3.0 darwin.iso, if you do want to install it, uninstall the old version first, "setup.cmd uninstall" copy the new darwin.iso in to your unzip directory, and then reinstall the darwin.iso tools with the setup.cmd install command. It also contains PS/2 support which resolves an issue with Leopard keyboard and mouse not responding, not relevant for SL but for information.

Unfortunately, I appear to be the vilage idiot. Have Leopard installed but cannot get SL on. Can you tell me if you installed SL over the install of Leopard. When I try that, the install; start but when it reboots it just goes back to the original install sequence at the begging.

I know the gurus are making instructions for people like me, but thought I would ask.

Jerry,

Be patient, I know you are keen, but the tutorial will be with you hopefully by the weekend.

MSofK.

Unfortunately, I appear to be the vilage idiot. Have Leopard installed but cannot get SL on. Can you tell me if you installed SL over the install of Leopard? When I try that, the install starts but when the machine reboots it just goes back to the original install sequence at the begining.

I know the gurus are making instructions for people like me, but thought I would ask.

Unfortunately, I appear to be the vilage idiot. Have Leopard installed but cannot get SL on. Can you tell me if you installed SL over the install of Leopard? When I try that, the install starts but when the machine reboots it just goes back to the original install sequence at the begining.

Not sure how this got out of sequence, as I replied to this before you posted it, strange, but I am working hard to ge the new manual / tutorial out for you Jerry, hang on mate won't be long now. But also need to run it by Donk as it is his hard work that has made all this possible, but as you will see from Donk's earlier post we are working together to firstly get the unpdated manual out and on some interesting updates to the darwin.iso, more once we have done some more testing.

MacSofK.

P.S. Whats with this village idiot stuff, you have got Leopard up and running, that is pretty good, I am sure it will be something simple for SL when we work through it.

Problem Solved: the problem was that there must have been some residua from the Leopard install. I very carefully removed everything and did a clean install and SL is up and running.

I'll just install the audio and video drivers and should be good to go.

Advice, do not try to upgrade from L -> SL.

PS Before I cleaned everything I was having problems with the cursor disappearing. Does this sound familiar?

PPS Oh, are there amy problems with any of the upgrades to SL?

Problem Solved: the problem was that there must have been some residua from the Leopard install. I very carefully removed everything and did a clean install and SL is up and running.

I'll just install the audio and video drivers and should be good to go.

Advice, do not try to upgrade from L -> SL.

PS Before I cleaned everything I was having problems with the cursor disappearing. Does this sound familiar?

PPS Oh, are there amy problems with any of the upgrades to SL?

Jerry,

I seem to recall suggesting doing a clean install many posts ago, in the virtual world it is so easy to create a new guestOS, and either keep the old if you have the space, or blow away when you have moved what you need.

Glad you have made progress, not had the cursor disappearing but issues with the keyboard and mouse in L, but using the wks7 darwin.iso and changing the following setting in the .vmx file generally resolves the issues.

keyboard.vusb.enable = "FALSE"

mouse.vusb.enable = "FALSE"

In terms of SL upgrades should be fine, one or two people have had problems running software updates for the Mac OSX Update 10.6.2, so download it directly from the Apple site and install from the MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.2.dmg file.

The Zenith432 graphics, guestd package and the audio drivers also work fine.

Cheers MacSofK!

Does this method run youtube videos without studdering? If so, that would be awsome because I know it would be fast enough for me...

Thanks!

I think people are missing the point here, currently VMware is not designed to run graphics intensive applications, and although the graphics and audio driver enhancements by Zenith432, may help in some instances they are not the answer. If you want high performace graphics or video use the hostOS not a guestOS running under VMware.

VMware does what it says on the tin, and enhanced graphics, video and audio are not part of the package. If the enhancements offered by drivers from Zenith432 et al meet your requirements, then great, otherwise look for another solution, OK!

I take that as a no?

I think people are missing the point here, currently VMware is not designed to run graphics intensive applications, and although the graphics and audio driver enhancements by Zenith432, may help in some instances they are not the answer. If you want high performace graphics or video use the hostOS not a guestOS running under VMware.

VMware does what it says on the tin, and enhanced graphics, video and audio are not part of the package. If the enhancements offered by drivers from Zenith432 et al meet your requirements, then great, otherwise look for another solution, OK!

Yes there is a big downside to it, one that I guess will not cease to exists any time soon (hell it took vmware three years to get aero working inside a Vm). <br />

What is the "big downside"? I'm in the same boat as you - got SL running natively on i7 920, then decided it's just too much bother to keep my primary desktop on "beta" build forever. But, if I've got the horsepower to run it pretty well as a *VM*....

I take that as a no?

Joe, Sorry I was not aiming the comment at you, the answer is try it if it works for you great! The best you can currently achieve is with Zenith432's excellent graphics and audio drivers, link below:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/files/

Hope these work for you, let us know how you get on, yours eating humble pie Mac SofK!

What is the "big downside"? I'm in the same boat as you - got SL running natively on i7 920, then decided it's just too much bother to keep my primary desktop on "beta" build forever. But, if I've got the horsepower to run it pretty well as a *VM*....

The big downside is what I was "ranting about" to Joe, once again sorry, VMware is not currently designed to provide enhanced graphics and audio in a guestOS, it just is not currently in the code. Zenith432 has used the VMware guidelines to provide enhanced Grahics and Audio drivers but these as I understand, forgive me if I am off the mark Donk or Zenith432, are still purely virtual, i.e. no direct addressing of the graphics card. A problem for all virtual environments from RDP up. HP's RGS attempts to address this for remote graphics use, but takes over the host machine completely, I digress.

So cutting to the chase, VM's are great for running multiple OS's, but can have performance implications, especially in terms of graphics, audio and video. Basically virtual drivers are never going to be as fast as direct access drivers on a host OS.

Hope this helps, not sure it does, but I tired, Mac SofK!

The big downside is what I was "ranting about" to Joe, once again sorry, VMware is not currently designed to provide enhanced graphics and audio in a guestOS, it just is not currently in the code. Zenith432 has used the VMware guidelines to provide enhanced Grahics and Audio drivers but these as I understand, forgive me if I am off the mark Donk or Zenith432, are still purely virtual, i.e. no direct addressing of the graphics card. A problem for all virtual environments from RDP up. HP's RGS attempts to address this for remote graphics use, but takes over the host machine completely, I digress.

So cutting to the chase, VM's are great for running multiple OS's, but can have performance implications, especially in terms of graphics, audio and video. Basically virtual drivers are never going to be as fast as direct access drivers on a host OS.

Hope this helps, not sure it does, but I tired, Mac SofK!

Correct the only virtualization solution I am aware to that can currently talk directly to the graphics card is Parallels Workstation 4.0 Extreme and that only is supported on certain HP Workstations.

Watch out for VMware 7.01. In trying to fix my mouse problems I upgraded. Well, although it runs my Ubuntu just fine, the SL install stopped working (OS not found). I guess a mistake to install 7.01?

When I get back up, I will check in on the mouse problem.

Watch out for VMware 7.01. In trying to fix my mouse problems I upgraded. Well, although it runs my Ubuntu just fine, the SL install stopped working (OS not found). I guess a mistake to install 7.01?

When I get back up, I will check in on the mouse problem.

No mistake, you just need to re-apply the boot image to vmware by running the setup.cmd install (and making sure you have the right darwin.iso for SL).

I saw that there was an update today, updated and did the above, and it is running fine for me.

And @NeinDS, yes the big downside is the absence of QE/CI on a virtualized machine. For me it's no biggy really, yes it won't run imovie, or dvd player, but of course there are alternatives, I use Mplayer to play dvd's and with zenith432's driver it isn't all bad. In fact xvid video's are fairly watchable so to speak. Apart from the above apps, most of the screensavers also don't work.

The biggest advantage to this is the absence of needing to hunt for kexts to make your hardware run, I actually installed SL natively on my I7 now, but just getting my GTX260 with 1.8GB working on that install took me an hour without success, I personally can't be bothered, as well as the fact that for a dual boot to work, I probably have to reinstall Windows 7, as I had it installed under Sata raid mode (yes I know), and I can't be bothered, this method does very nicely for me.

Thank-God. You are correct reinstalled saved my SL.

One quirk. When I try to install the guestd_patches I get "VMware Tools daemon patches for VMsvga2 can't be installed on this disk. The target volume does not appear to have any version of VMware Tools installed.

I am now running 7.01, which I believe should have the tools installed and I have installed the Common_Installer package.

Second quirk (major). I am still having a problem with losing the usb mouse after 5-15 minutes on the machine. No idea of what is happening. These are the final lines of my settings (this is on a Dell laptop with a docking port and probably multiple usb ports- there 15 in device manager of Windows 7):

guestOS = "darwin10-64"

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

ide1:0.startConnected = "TRUE"

usb:0.present = "TRUE"

usb:1.present = "TRUE"

tools.remindInstall = "TRUE"

usb:1.deviceType = "hub"

usb:0.deviceType = "mouse"

tools.syncTime = "FALSE"

checkpoint.vmState = ""

Thank-God. You are correct reinstalled saved my SL.

One quirk. When I try to install the guestd_patches I get "VMware Tools daemon patches for VMsvga2 can't be installed on this disk. The target volume does not appear to have any version of VMware Tools installed.

I am now running 7.01, which I believe should have the tools installed and I have installed the Common_Installer package.

Second quirk (major). I am still having a problem with losing the usb mouse after 5-15 minutes on the machine. No idea of what is happening. These are the final lines of my settings (this is on a Dell laptop with a docking port and probably multiple usb ports- there 15 in device manager of Windows 7):

guestOS = "darwin10-64"

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

ide1:0.startConnected = "TRUE"

usb:0.present = "TRUE"

usb:1.present = "TRUE"

tools.remindInstall = "TRUE"

usb:1.deviceType = "hub"

usb:0.deviceType = "mouse"

tools.syncTime = "FALSE"

checkpoint.vmState = ""

Jerry, you may have tried this but try settting mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE" in SL the USB drivers are pretty good, and also just make sure you are using the latest darwin.iso for the WKS7 zip.

Also make sure you have turned off pwer saving in the SL guestOS, System Preferences, Enery Saver, Computer sleep: Never, Display sleep: Never

Hope this helps!

After 7.0.1 install of Workstation I managed to boot (just mounted the darwin.iso) but the OS crashes at the loading screen. kernel panic.

anyways, reran the setup.cmd from the pack and now it's working. It indeed needs the signatures to work.

After 7.0.1 install of Workstation I managed to boot (just mounted the darwin.iso) but the OS crashes at the loading screen. kernel panic.

anyways, reran the setup.cmd from the pack and now it's working. It indeed needs the signatures to work.

An uninstall setup.cmd uninstall followed by a re-install setup.cmd install refreshes the signature files which have been overwritten by the 7.0.1 update, as they are matched to there equivalent .iso files. You may get away without an uninstall but I would not take the chance.

P.S. Currently only appears to be Workstation, standalone Player 3 is currently still at build 203739. However Player shipped with Workstation 7.0.1 is 3.0.1. Plus if you download the full product and go to install 7.0.1 it uninstalls 7.0.0 requests a reboot before installing 7.0.1. So the darwin.iso needs to be installed from scratch, but it does appear to keep your license information.

Wel this forum does not work with FireFox.

Hi i need some help, I suscessfully used the first pdf manual and first iso in Vmware 7 and ESX 4u1 and after tweking the vmx it suscessfully installed Mac OSX 10.5.2

However i need to install Mac OSX 10.6 and in VMware ESX4 u1 and i am getting a kernel panic error about Local Panic version Ox11, OX14 or more expected .....

So my question is, What are the other zips for? darwin-wks7, vmware-darwin-voodoo?, which one should i use for VMWare ESX4u1 wit snow leopard?, or is not supported yet or help with the vmx information for making it work in VMware.

Thanks i apreciate your work. Sorry for my english

Jerry, you may have tried this but try settting mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE" in SL the USB drivers are pretty good, and also just make sure you are using the latest darwin.iso for the WKS7 zip.

Also make sure you have turned off pwer saving in the SL guestOS, System Preferences, Enery Saver, Computer sleep: Never, Display sleep: Never

Hope this helps!

Thanks. Well, it worked fine all day long at work with the FALSE seting, but when I got home, it was dead in the water. Let me go down ths issues:

1. The iso is called darwin.iso and is 25,990kb.

2. Sleep may have been a problem. I sent them to Never Never land.

3. Currently usb is FALSE but will not change until I see what power settings do.

Thanks

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It was the power settings. Works fine now and will, go back to the TRUE TRUE on the usbs. Happy with the install and just put OpenOffice on and that works fine.

Thanks for all the help.

Hi!

I followed this guide and try to install Mac OS X 10.6.1 Retail on VMWare Workstation 7. Everthing works fine, but after language selection at installation screen a got the message: "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer."

Has anybody the same problem? I tried so much? Please help. :)

Torben