VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

Hi!

I followed this guide and try to install Mac OS X 10.6.1 Retail on VMWare Workstation 7. Everthing works fine, but after language selection at installation screen a got the message: "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer."

Has anybody the same problem? I tried so much? Please help. ;)

Torben

Need more details. CPU type, VT-x in BIOS enabled and is this a retail disk that is one bought from Apple not shipped with a Mac or some other distro downloaded from the web?

Need more details. CPU type, VT-x in BIOS enabled and is this a retail disk that is one bought from Apple not shipped with a Mac or some other distro downloaded from the web?

Hi Donk,

thank you for your answer.

I've a C2D E8500 with a Asus P5 Q Pro, VT-x is enabled in BIOS. For installing I use a image of a Mac OS X 10.6.1 DVD shipped with a Mac Book.

Maybe I should use another image? I searched the web, but found no working solution for this error.

Torben

Hi Donk,

thank you for your answer.

I've a C2D E8500 with a Asus P5 Q Pro, VT-x is enabled in BIOS. For installing I use a image of a Mac OS X 10.6.1 DVD shipped with a Mac Book.

Maybe I should use another image? I searched the web, but found no working solution for this error.

Torben

You can't use a restore DVD for a machine only the retail version.

You can't use a restore DVD for a machine only the retail version.

Oh okay, then this was my fault, I thought this is the retail :D Don't know that this is a restore version. Which is the difference between the two versions?

So I've to look for a new image :P

Wel this forum does not work with FireFox.

Hi i need some help, I suscessfully used the first pdf manual and first iso in Vmware 7 and ESX 4u1 and after tweking the vmx it suscessfully installed Mac OSX 10.5.2

However i need to install Mac OSX 10.6 and in VMware ESX4 u1 and i am getting a kernel panic error about Local Panic version Ox11, OX14 or more expected .....

So my question is, What are the other zips for? darwin-wks7, vmware-darwin-voodoo?, which one should i use for VMWare ESX4u1 wit snow leopard?, or is not supported yet or help with the vmx information for making it work in VMware.

Thanks i apreciate your work. Sorry for my english

Aldo,

Unfortunately none of the darwin.iso zips will help you with ESX(i) 4u1, SL is not supported, as ESX is at an early version than Workstation 7, Fusion 3 or Player 3 which can run SL. This is of course for a vanilla kernel and retail copy of OS X. Switch over to Zenith432's Snow Kitty topic which uses a non vanilla kernel based on Chameleon, you may have more luck.

P.S. Once I get some hardware sorted I am going to try and get SL working under ESX(i) 4u1

Oh okay, then this was my fault, I thought this is the retail :rolleyes: Don't know that this is a restore version. Which is the difference between the two versions?

So I've to look for a new image :)

Honeytree,

The easiest way is to go to the Apple Website, the Snow Leoaprd DVD is £25.00 (UK) and $35.00 (US), well worth the expense, as it makes the install process much simpler, and allows the Geeks, Gurus and Legends on this site / topic help more quickly if you have issues.

Honeytree,

The easiest way is to go to the Apple Website, the Snow Leoaprd DVD is £25.00 (UK) and $35.00 (US), well worth the expense, as it makes the install process much simpler, and allows the Geeks, Gurus and Legends on this site / topic help more quickly if you have issues.

Hi,

for me 29 Euro. :rolleyes: I didn't know, that it is so cheap. I'll buy it and then try it again. :)

Hi, is there any way of getting Quartz Extreme / Core Image to work with the virtual osX?

Thanks

No

Is there any way to run SL in vmware without vtx ?

I have a Core 2 Quad Q8200 without vtx :D

Look for Zenith432's Snow Kitty topic which uses a non vanilla kernel based on Chameleon.

Hi,

I buyed a Mac OS X SL in a local store. Installation worked fine.

I installed the VMWare Tools. The guide says the following:

"The darwin.iso supplied has the Fusion 2.0.5 tools and can be used to install to the guest after Mac OS X has been installed. The current tools supplied by VMware are a subset of those found for the other supported operating systems but do include:

... VMware SVGA II video driver."

But after installation I can't notice a difference. Mac OS X still says VGA a with 128 MB. Is there a way to get a better graphic support? I have a HD 4870.

Thank you. :rolleyes:

Sorry for my not so perfect englisch.

Torben

Hi

I know I have used this guide before and installed on a PC but it is not working for me this time.. Here is the info

VMware product and version being used : VMWare Workstation 6.5.3

Host operating system : Windows 7 64bit

Host CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo / E8600 @ 3.33Ghz (Supports VT-x and Enabled)

Vanilla Leopard or other distro : Vanilla Snow Leopard

VMX File

.encoding = "windows-1252"

config.version = "8"

virtualHW.version = "7"

scsi0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"

memsize = "2048"

scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0:0.fileName = "Mac OSX SL.vmdk"

ide1:0.present = "TRUE"

ide1:0.autodetect = "TRUE"

ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"

floppy0.startConnected = "FALSE"

floppy0.autodetect = "TRUE"

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"

usb.present = "TRUE"

ehci.present = "TRUE"

sound.present = "TRUE"

sound.fileName = "-1"

sound.autodetect = "TRUE"

mks.enable3d = "TRUE"

pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge4.functions = "8"

pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge5.functions = "8"

pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge6.functions = "8"

pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge7.functions = "8"

vmci0.present = "TRUE"

roamingVM.exitBehavior = "go"

displayName = "Mac OSX SL"

guestOS = "darwin-64"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

#guestOS = "freebsd-64"

nvram = "Mac OSX SL.nvram"

virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"

ft.secondary0.enabled = "TRUE"

tools.upgrade.policy = "useGlobal"

extendedConfigFile = "Mac OSX SL.vmxf"

floppy0.fileName = "A:"

floppy0.present = "FALSE"

ide1:0.fileName = "D:\ISO\macosx_10_6_Snow_Leopard.img"

ide1:0.startConnected = "TRUE"

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"

uuid.location = "56 4d 2b be b4 eb 6d 4c-d7 fb 74 85 2c 49 6e ac"

uuid.bios = "56 4d 2b be b4 eb 6d 4c-d7 fb 74 85 2c 49 6e ac"

scsi0:0.redo = ""

vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "134217728"

pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"

pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"

pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"

pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"

pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"

scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"

usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"

ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"

sound.pciSlotNumber = "34"

ehci.pciSlotNumber = "35"

vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "36"

usb:0.present = "TRUE"

usb:1.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:49:6e:ac"

ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

vmci0.id = "743009964"

usb:1.deviceType = "hub"

usb:0.deviceType = "mouse"

tools.syncTime = "FALSE"

I have downloaded the darwin.iso for SL support from http://www.filedropper.com/darwin-wks7 and try to boot via that

I get the following screens 1.jpg and then 2.jpg

I also tried booting off the darwin from http://www.filedropper.com/vmware-darwin-200 and also my vanilla Macosx.img

but same problem

how can i fix this?

post-369693-1265592381_thumb.jpg

post-369693-1265592389_thumb.jpg

Hi

I know I have used this guide before and installed on a PC but it is not working for me this time.. Here is the info

VMware product and version being used : VMWare Workstation 6.5.3

Host operating system : Windows 7 64bit

Host CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo / E8600 @ 3.33Ghz (Supports VT-x and Enabled)

Vanilla Leopard or other distro : Vanilla Snow Leopard

VMX File

I have downloaded the darwin.iso for SL support from http://www.filedropper.com/darwin-wks7 and try to boot via that

I get the following screens 1.jpg and then 2.jpg

I also tried booting off the darwin from http://www.filedropper.com/vmware-darwin-200 and also my vanilla Macosx.img

but same problem

how can i fix this?

You can't run SL on Workstation 6.5 this way you need Workstation 7 or Player 3. look for the Zenith432 Snow Kitty topic for one possible solution.

But after installation I can't notice a difference. Mac OS X still says VGA a with 128 MB. Is there a way to get a better graphic support? I have a HD 4870.

Torben

VMware creates its own virtual graphics device and does not pass through the real graphics card. There is a 3rd party attempt to improve the graphics drivers for VMware running Mac OS X http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/. However you will not get any QE/CI support if that is what you were after.

Hello,

First of all I've tried reading trough all the replies and guides in this topic, so sorry if I have missed anything and am asking a similar question as posted before.

• VMware product and version being used
    - Workstation 7.0.0 build-203739
  • Host operating system
    - Windows XP SP3 (English)
  • Host CPU
    - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (vt-x enabled in BIOS and CPU)
  • Vanilla Leopard or other distro
    - ?
  • Version of Leopard 10.5.6, 10.5.7 etc.
    - Snow Leopard 10.6.x or so
  • Please attach the VMX file
    Click here
  • Please attach the latest vmware.log file
    Click here

My problem is as following: I've followed the guide that was attached in the first post of the topic, and everything went well untill the step of installing the actual OS. I pass the point of booting from disk, the Apple logo appears with some loading icon below it, and after a few seconds that switches to a darker grey background with a black cursor. When I click randomly in the window with the cursor, this turns into a loading icon (the circle rainbow thingy) and that's where it stays. The cursor can be moved, but nothing gets displayed on the screen. I've waited for ~30 minutes but nothing happened, any clue what has caused this?

Regards,

Spherix

Hello,

First of all I've tried reading trough all the replies and guides in this topic, so sorry if I have missed anything and am asking a similar question as posted before.

• VMware product and version being used
    - Workstation 7.0.0 build-203739
  • Host operating system
    - Windows XP SP3 (English)
  • Host CPU
    - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (vt-x enabled in BIOS and CPU)
  • Vanilla Leopard or other distro
    - ?
  • Version of Leopard 10.5.6, 10.5.7 etc.
    - Snow Leopard 10.6.x or so
  • Please attach the VMX file
    Click here
  • Please attach the latest vmware.log file
    Click here

My problem is as following: I've followed the guide that was attached in the first post of the topic, and everything went well untill the step of installing the actual OS. I pass the point of booting from disk, the Apple logo appears with some loading icon below it, and after a few seconds that switches to a darker grey background with a black cursor. When I click randomly in the window with the cursor, this turns into a loading icon (the circle rainbow thingy) and that's where it stays. The cursor can be moved, but nothing gets displayed on the screen. I've waited for ~30 minutes but nothing happened, any clue what has caused this?

Regards,

Spherix

OK, initial look through your .vmx file shows most things are as they should be, but displayName is odd, although not an issue I would change it something more appt, i.e.

displayName = "OS X Snow Leopard"

Also need to add the following lines, as many boot issues have been resolved with these added:

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

To confirm the SL media you are using is "Retail", and you have used the darwin-200 zip updated with the darwin.iso from the wks7 zip before running "setup.cmd install".

The Mac ISO I'm using is retail yes,

I was aware of the display name, didn't think it matter as well but I'll change it along with adding those other lines as well.

I don't quite follow the darwin.iso thing; I've followed the guide and that said to install the darwin stuff via CMD, which I did succesfully. It only mentions using the ISO áfter the intsallation of the OS; Do I have to use or mount it beforehand?

Edit: I've added those two lines, but it still gets 'stuck' at the never ending rainbow icon animation..

Edit2: I forgot to mention my OS is 32 bit and I tried installing with both the -legacy flag at boot options and without, but it gets stuck at the same point every time.

Edit3: I've just completely redone all steps in the guide, with the exception of preallocating the disk space during the setup of the FreeBSD guest system, which I forgot to do so earlier, with no luck again.

I think it's quite odd that the cursor that appears after the mac logo only changes in the rainbow cursor after I clicked with it (doesnt matter where I click, it's all just grey)

VMware creates its own virtual graphics device and does not pass through the real graphics card. There is a 3rd party attempt to improve the graphics drivers for VMware running Mac OS X http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/. However you will not get any QE/CI support if that is what you were after.

Okay, thank you Don.

Is it useful to install this driver or is the difference almost unnoticeable? Because I installed it and boot with the option -svga3d and noticed no difference, but I'm not sure that I'm doing it right.

Or is there any other way to improve the performance of the virtual Mac OS? It's running fine, but if there is a little bit performance I can get. :)

Hi,

I buyed a Mac OS X SL in a local store. Installation worked fine.

I installed the VMWare Tools. The guide says the following:

"The darwin.iso supplied has the Fusion 2.0.5 tools and can be used to install to the guest after Mac OS X has been installed. The current tools supplied by VMware are a subset of those found for the other supported operating systems but do include:

Thank you. ;)

Sorry for my not so perfect englisch.

Torben

Good question. I'll look for the Guru's answer as my install is a touch slow also. I assume you have installed the post-install Mac packages. See the long dialog above about my install.

The Mac ISO I'm using is retail yes,

I was aware of the display name, didn't think it matter as well but I'll change it along with adding those other lines as well.

I don't quite follow the darwin.iso thing; I've followed the guide and that said to install the darwin stuff via CMD, which I did succesfully. It only mentions using the ISO áfter the intsallation of the OS; Do I have to use or mount it beforehand?

Edit: I've added those two lines, but it still gets 'stuck' at the never ending rainbow icon animation..

Edit2: I forgot to mention my OS is 32 bit and I tried installing with both the -legacy flag at boot options and without, but it gets stuck at the same point every time.

Edit3: I've just completely redone all steps in the guide, with the exception of preallocating the disk space during the setup of the FreeBSD guest system, which I forgot to do so earlier, with no luck again.

I think it's quite odd that the cursor that appears after the mac logo only changes in the rainbow cursor after I clicked with it (doesnt matter where I click, it's all just grey)

What worked for me- see long litany above- was to change the install to the 64-bit BSD even with a 32-bit machine and that got the right drives for the disk installed.

Also increased RAM to 1048MB and Disk to 64 GB.

I also started from scratch, delete all machines and make sure you have the right iso 25,990kb I believe.

It does work....

Alright so I've fixed my earlier problem, the guide failed to mention a few details.

The darwin.iso for windows 7 must be placed in the other darwin.zip directory's contents, replacing the original darwin.iso; and then (re)installed. (I did not know that)

Which brought me up to the actual install of the OS; Next problem is that the OS does not display any place to install the OS on, I've tried a few options (see screenshot) but I'm stuck here:

Click me for screenshot

Edit: *slaps self in face* I forgot to partition the disk with the Disk Ulities in the OSX installer menu, perhaps something that can be improved to mention clearer in the guide next time as well.

Alright so I've fixed my earlier problem, the guide failed to mention a few details.

The darwin.iso for windows 7 must be placed in the other darwin.zip directory's contents, replacing the original darwin.iso; and then (re)installed. (I did not know that)

Which brought me up to the actual install of the OS; Next problem is that the OS does not display any place to install the OS on, I've tried a few options (see screenshot) but I'm stuck here:

Click me for screenshot

Edit: *slaps self in face* I forgot to partition the disk with the Disk Ulities in the OSX installer menu, perhaps something that can be improved to mention clearer in the guide next time as well.

Hi Spherix,

after language selection at installation you have to click on tools (in the toolbar above) and then choose the disk utility and create a partition on your virtual disk. The go back and you can install the OS.

Edit: Didn't see your edit. ;)

Click me for screenshot

I thought I had indicated the need to replace the darwin-200 darwin.iso with the one from the wks7 zip and reinstall? Sorry the instruction was not clear!

However, all will be clear in the updated manual, with full support for Snow Leopard and plenty of screenshots!

Donk,

I have a computer with a T2400 that I'm trying to get Snow to work on. I also have a Q6600 that I managed to set up just fine using your main guide.

My T2400 machine has VT-x, and it's enabled, but for some it still fails to work. The way I tested it is I copied the working image from the Q6600 machine to this one and it refuses to boot, giving me a message about trying to use a software MMU.

Anyway, I noticed your experimental guide at the bottom of your first post but I wanted to ask if there is a way I can just boot into and mod the working VM (set up voodoo alpha kernel for example) on the Q6600 and then transfer it, to save some time and tinkering by not reinstalling it...

Any thoughts?

Donk,

I have a computer with a T2400 that I'm trying to get Snow to work on. I also have a Q6600 that I managed to set up just fine using your main guide.

My T2400 machine has VT-x, and it's enabled, but for some it still fails to work. The way I tested it is I copied the working image from the Q6600 machine to this one and it refuses to boot, giving me a message about trying to use a software MMU.

Anyway, I noticed your experimental guide at the bottom of your first post but I wanted to ask if there is a way I can just boot into and mod the working VM (set up voodoo alpha kernel for example) on the Q6600 and then transfer it, to save some time and tinkering by not reinstalling it...

Any thoughts?

I have moved SL VM's between my laptop Core 2 Duo and my Workstation Xeon 3520 Quad Core without any issues, tell VM I have copied the VM, and it all appears to work, should not need the Voodoo kernel. Need to make sure you have the darwin tool installed, I am sure you have, just crossing the T's and dotting the i's. Also I have noticed the following setting have been changed during the process, and still works fine, maybe relevant for your situation.

monitor.virtual_exec = "automatic" recommended to be set monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor.virtual_mmu = "automatic" recommended to be set monitor.virtual_mmc = "software"

Hope this helps!

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the advice, but I already did that. Like I said, I got it working on one machine, I am just having trouble because (i think) my T2400 is not a Core 2 Duo, but a Core Duo (little older)...

This is why I want to try the alternate kernel. Any other ideas?

Thanks for the advice, but I already did that. Like I said, I got it working on one machine, I am just having trouble because (i think) my T2400 is not a Core 2 Duo, but a Core Duo (little older)...

This is why I want to try the alternate kernel. Any other ideas?

Nick, It may be because your T2400 CPU does not support 64-bit at the CPU level, so you may need to run with guestOS = "darwin10" rather than "darwin10-64", whereas your Q6600 will support 64-bit at the CPU level, so will run the guestOS in 64-bit mode.

Give it a try!