VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

Will it be possible in the future with a patch, just like leopard can be run in vmware even witout vt-x technology or wwill SL in vmware always require vt-x?

No idea sorry. Even if it was possible performance would likely be terrible.

Hey guys,

Firsty, thanks for the amazing work, tutorials, and time you've spent on this. I managed to get SL working the first time (still can't believe it...) using this guide on Workstation 7, but after I updated it I'm getting a message that says:

"A virtual CPU has entered the shutdown state. This would have caused a physical machine to restart. This can be caused by an incorrect configuration of the virtual machine, a bug in thi operating system or a problem in the VMware Workstation software. Press OK to restart or Cancel to power off the virtual machine."

Can anyone point me in the right direction in getting this resolved? I have a working VM of Leopard I can use to change/edit files on this partition and I have a snapshot before I updated.

Thanks a lot!

That guide is for Workstation 6.5.3. Use my guide here and then report back.

No idea sorry. Even if it was possible performance would likely be terrible.

Thanks. Also looking at my desktop computer The processor is AMD X4 Phenom-9550 which has amd-v virtualization technology. Is it possible to install snow leopard on that in vmware workstation7, or only on intel based processors?

Thanks. Also looking at my desktop computer The processor is AMD X4 Phenom-9550 which has amd-v virtualization technology. Is it possible to install snow leopard on that in vmware workstation7, or only on intel based processors?

Not a vanilla version of SL as no support for AMD processors. You would have to find some version that supports AMD. I don't support anything other than retail versions of Mac OS X as many of the other versions have so many different things added to them, I feel it confuses where things go wrong.

No, as Apple only use Intel processors the vanilla kernel will not support AMD processors, you will have to use a non vanilla kernel, which is outside this topic, but others on this web site will help.

Good luck.

Not a vanilla version of SL as no support for AMD processors. You would have to find some version that supports AMD. I don't support anything other than retail versions of Mac OS X as many of the other versions have so many different things added to them, I feel it confuses where things go wrong.

P.S. I can confirm as I have had leopard working under ESXi 4 on an AMD server, not directly relevent, but a pointer!

That guide is for Workstation 6.5.3. Use my guide here and then report back.

Donk, unless I have the wrong guide, it says that "This release supports the following products:" (doesn't include 7)

So after months of testing here is a new version of the package to run retail Mac OS X in VMware. This release supports the following products:
  • VMware Workstation 6.5 (Windows & Linux)
  • VMware Player 2.5 (Windows & Linux)
  • VMware Server 2.0 (Windows & Linux)
  • VMware Fusion 2.0 (Mac OS X)
  • VMware ESX 4.0
  • VMware ESXi 4.0

It is compatible with the other methods that have been previously described in the forums. I have attached the manual to the post.

Also, I was about to try your guide when i noticed I have the Core 2 Duo T5750 which doesn't support VT-x.

Since I successfully got Snow Leopard to install on VMware 7 and I'm just having update issues, I'll see if I can get some help on Zenith's thread.

Donk, unless I have the wrong guide, it says that "This release supports the following products:" (doesn't include 7)

Also, I was about to try your guide when i noticed I have the Core 2 Duo T5750 which doesn't support VT-x.

Since I successfully got Snow Leopard to install on VMware 7 and I'm just having update issues, I'll see if I can get some help on Zenith's thread.

It was updated for SL and Wks 7, but the manual wasn't. Some of us are working on a newer version. If you have SL running via Zenith's thread that's great. Please post there are we were tryong to keep everything separated so there as no confusion.

Hello Im using vmware workstation 7 on windows 7 RC1

Im "getting the CPU has been disabled by the guest Operating System" Error

I have attached, my VMX , and Vmware latest log, ad the CPUZ report. please tell me what i have done wrong.

im using hackintosh SnowOSX_Universal_10.6(432)GM_v3.5.iso for isntallation.

Configs.rar

Hello Im using vmware workstation 7 on windows 7 RC1

Im "getting the CPU has been disabled by the guest Operating System" Error

I have attached, my VMX , and Vmware latest log, ad the CPUZ report. please tell me what i have done wrong.

im using hackintosh SnowOSX_Universal_10.6(432)GM_v3.5.iso for isntallation.

You will need to find one of the other topics on InsanelyMac, as this topic is only for installing OS X on VMware based on retail OS X and a vanilla kernel.

Sorry!

You will need to find one of the other topics on InsanelyMac, as this topic is only for installing OS X on VMware based on retail OS X and a vanilla kernel.

Sorry!

HI, it is the retail version? and i created the VM using this manual, anyway ill try posting it as seperate thread. thanks

HI, it is the retail version? and i created the VM using this manual, anyway ill try posting it as seperate thread. thanks

SnowOSX_Universal_10.6(432)GM_v3.5.iso is not the retail version of Snow Leopard.

oops ;):unsure: ill try to find the retail version then. thanks.

We were not trying to put you off installing OS X, and we are keen to help, but we need the right baseline, and in this topic that is a retail copy of OS X, and you can buy that on the web or from an Apple store for £20.00 UK or $30 + US.

We await your return, hopefully retail DVD in hand!!!

We were not trying to put you off installing OS X, and we are keen to help, but we need the right baseline, and in this topic that is a retail copy of OS X, and you can buy that on the web or from an Apple store for £20.00 UK or $30 + US.

We await your return, hopefully retail DVD in hand!!!

HI is this what i have to purchase http://store.apple.com/us/product/MAC_OS_X_SNGL

it says its an upgrade for leopard users ???

Hi Donk,

I was looking into running snow leopard on a friend's pc, an AMD Phenom II with AMD-V. I have tested the qoopz/nawcom kernel for 10.6.2 on my intel laptop and it works fine, I was wondering how you injected the voodoo kernel into your voodoo iso. I have downloaded it and have not been able to find the kernel using ultraiso. Could I just drop it in the root of your snowy-darwin iso? If so, what would be the parameters to get it to boot. Additionally, does the current version of the snowy darwin iso have fakesmc, and if so, should the vmx be set to apple.smc.present = TRUE?

Thanks,

smarty94

Hi Donk,

I was looking into running snow leopard on a friend's pc, an AMD Phenom II with AMD-V. I have tested the qoopz/nawcom kernel for 10.6.2 on my intel laptop and it works fine, I was wondering how you injected the voodoo kernel into your voodoo iso. I have downloaded it and have not been able to find the kernel using ultraiso. Could I just drop it in the root of your snowy-darwin iso? If so, what would be the parameters to get it to boot. Additionally, does the current version of the snowy darwin iso have fakesmc, and if so, should the vmx be set to apple.smc.present = TRUE?

Thanks,

smarty94

It has to go into the RAM Disk on the ISO. The use the boot time parameter to point ot the new kernel. It's documented somewhere in the thread how to rebuild the ISO. I would do it on the latest ISO for SL. BE careful about updating the guest though as kernel is paired with other kexts and if say 10.6.3 comes out with new kernel they won't match.

It does contain FakeSMC but you need to keep the parameter set to false as it instructs the VMware code not to look for the SMC on the real machine.

It has to go into the RAM Disk on the ISO. The use the boot time parameter to point ot the new kernel. It's documented somewhere in the thread how to rebuild the ISO. I would do it on the latest ISO for SL. BE careful about updating the guest though as kernel is paired with other kexts and if say 10.6.3 comes out with new kernel they won't match.

It does contain FakeSMC but you need to keep the parameter set to false as it instructs the VMware code not to look for the SMC on the real machine.

I found the ram disk, but how do I write to it?, ulraiso gives me "unsupported filetype, and osx won't let me write to it. (initrd.img) Could you point me to the thread with the instructions on extracting and rebuilding the iso, the search function isn't doing much (as usual)

I found the ram disk, but how do I write to it?, ulraiso gives me "unsupported filetype, and osx won't let me write to it. (initrd.img) Could you point me to the thread with the instructions on extracting and rebuilding the iso, the search function isn't doing much (as usual)

Found it eventually from remembering some words for Google to ferret it out. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1318440

I can try and put it together for you tomorrow if you want?

Found it eventually from remembering some words for Google to ferret it out. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1318440

I can try and put it together for you tomorrow if you want?

That would be awesome! No hurry though. I believe that said ramdisk would need two kernels, one for installing (10.6.0 from a dvd), and one for after the update to 10.6.2. both kernels can be found here http://nawcom.com/osx86/files/10.6/Kernels/

Dork, I'd love to see an updated manual for Workstation 7 and Snow Leopard, because while I got an installation to boot and run on a Dell Latitude D630 laptop, I've run into a couple of intractable problems for which I've found no solutions via our friend Google. So here's the story: The Dell runs 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate with all drivers up to date. Following your guide and two others on external sites (Taranfx and Bob's Mental Moshpit) I set up Workstation 7 and installed Snow Leopard from a retail 10.6 DVD. There were the usual false starts, but eventually I got it going and added the Ensoniq driver and VMware Tools. But then I ran into two problems:

First, the mouse—actually a touchpad cursor—sooner or later disappears when I click inside the virtual machine. I can get it back into Windows 7 by pressing control + alt, but I can't use the mouse inside the VM and have to shut it down. I've reinstalled the touchpad driver, but that hasn't kept the mouse from periodically retreating into some virtual hole from which I can't coax it out without restarting.

Second, and maybe more seriously, while the ethernet connection worked after installation, a day later I started getting a VM boot message saying Workstation couldn't establish a vmnet0 connection, meaning no Internet or networking, though I'm set up for a bridged network, as advised. I've attempted to fix the broken networking by using the custom radio button in network options to use vmnet1 and vmnet8, since by default they're set up to use host and NAT network routes, but neither has worked. I turned off the Windows 7 firewall and added Workstation to the applications allowed to use the network, and that failed too. There are probably other settings to mess with, but I'm not all that up on the ins and outs of Windows. I'm steering clear of the Registry until there's absolutely no alternative.

I updated to 10.6.2 via a direct download from Apple on an iMac, then installed via flash drive. That didn't affect the problems. Nor did a rollback via a snapshot to the initial 10.6 version. Here are the specs:

Version: VMware Workstation 7.0.0 build-203739

Host OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 2.00GHz; 2GB RAM

Mac OS: 10.6 via retail DVD

Log and vmx files attached.

snow.vmx.zip

vmware.log.zip

Dork, I'd love to see an updated manual for Workstation 7 and Snow Leopard

Here are the specs:

Version: VMware Workstation 7.0.0 build-203739

Host OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 2.00GHz; 2GB RAM

Mac OS: 10.6 via retail DVD

Log and vmx files attached.

Hi, for information Donk and I are working on a new manual with detailed tutorials for L, SL in Workstation7.

Your .vmx looks fine, are you using the wks7 zip, if not uninstall the darwin tools and re do with wks7. The wks7 zip has the proper PS/2 drivers included and should work better with your mouse.vusb.enable = "FALSE" entry. Also make sure your power settings are all turned off in OS X, as this can cause mouse and keyboards problems.

On the networking front sounds like a VM Workstation 7 setting rather than the OS X guest, do you have any other guest OS's installed, if so do they work. I will have a look at my settings and get back to you. Finally your memory looks tight for Windows 7 Ultimate and a GuestOS with 1GB allocated, but if it works for you, fine.

Speak soon.

SnowOSX_Universal_10.6(432)GM_v3.5.iso is not the retail version of Snow Leopard.

For those who can't get a copy of the retail version, I believe any SL distro can be used as long as all options are UNSELECTED except the main system (System.mpkg). I used UniversalOSX 3.6 and it worked so fine with me.

For those who can't get a copy of the retail version, I believe any SL distro can be used as long as all options are UNSELECTED except the main system (System.mpkg). I used UniversalOSX 3.6 and it worked so fine with me.

But we are not going to support that as I and am sure others do not have the time or inclination to have to spend time analysing any differences when issues arise! As alsways your choice but really why not spend the £20 or so and get a proper copy?

Second, and maybe more seriously, while the ethernet connection worked after installation, a day later I started getting a VM boot message saying Workstation couldn't establish a vmnet0 connection, meaning no Internet or networking, though I'm set up for a bridged network, as advised.

Had a quick look at my working VMW7 running SL OS X, using bridged networking for the guestOS, in VMW7 VMnet0 is set to Bridged Auto-bridging with the Bridged set to Automatic with my physical LAN and WLAN ticked in Automaitc Settings. These appear to be a restore default button which uninstalls and then reinstalls and recreates all the IP subnets, may be worth a try just incase you have a networking issue, did not break anything for me.

Had a quick look at my working VMW7 running SL OS X, using bridged networking for the guestOS, in VMW7 VMnet0 is set to Bridged Auto-bridging with the Bridged set to Automatic with my physical LAN and WLAN ticked in Automaitc Settings. These appear to be a restore default button which uninstalls and then reinstalls and recreates all the IP subnets, may be worth a try just incase you have a networking issue, did not break anything for me.

Mac, thanks for your attention. I am indeed using the VMware Tools package from the darwin-wks7 link on the first page of this thread, and I've reinstalled it once already in my attempt to resolve the mouse and network issues, but I'll do that again, follow your other recommendations, and see what happens. Actually, let me correct that: After mounting the Darwin 300 iso in my kosher iMac, I see two files, the second being a VMware Tools uninstaller. I didn't use that before reinstalling last time; this time I will.

I'm not running any other guest OS on the Dell. I agree about the tightness of the memory allocation—2GB total for the machine, with 1GB set for Snow Leopard in Workstation 7—but it seems to run well enough. Still, I'll look into bringing the total RAM to 3GB or 4GB.

About your two other points: When you say I should make sure the power settings are off in the guest Snow Leopard running inside Windows 7 on the Dell, do you mean I should go to the Energy Saver preference pane and change the setting to never? Are are you talking about some other element of 10.6?

Second, I'm inclined to agree that the bridging failure is a problem with Workstation, not Snow Leopard. I saw the restore default button in the Virtual Network Editor inside Workstation under the edit menu, but I hesitated to use it until I better understood how it might affect the .vmx file. Now that I've heard from you, I'll give it a go. As it presently stands, the Virtual Network Editor shows no external connection, host connection, or DHCP status for VMnet0, which is surely why I'm getting the message at Snow Leopard startup that ethernet is on the fritz. In fact the VMnet0 row is set to host-only rather than bridged. When I attempt to change it to bridged, which is what it should be from the documentation I've read, I get the alert "Cannot change network to bridged: There are no un-bridged host network adapters." It's that message that set off my hunt for a solution among the network and firewall settings in Windows 7.

So here's the plan: I'll uninstall VMware Workstation Tools, reinstall with the Darwin 300 mkpg, and then hit the restore default button inside Virtual Network Editor. I'll let you know how that turns out after I get to it later today.

UPDATE: The restore default button in Virtual Network Editor brought back bridging to VMnet0. I now believe a Windows 7 update was the cause of the problem. It probably broke the Workstation network adapter install and configuration. I'm now up to date with 10.6.2. The touchpad: So far so good. I'll leave Workstation on for a while to see if the cursor disappears as it has in the past and report back.

Side note: Apologies to Donk for misspelling his name in my first post. Also, to both Mac and Donk: If you'd like another set of eyes to look over your guide to Snow Leopard and Workstation 7 before you publish it, feel free to contact me. I can't do much vis-à-vis content, obviously, but I might be able to help edit for clarity (if not spelling).