VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

Wait, nevermind. The common element here is:

Jan 29 23:49:28.624: vcpu-0| SCSI scsi0:0: Unsupported command START STOP UNIT issued. --ok

Jan 29 23:53:30.280: vcpu-1| SCSI scsi0:0: Unsupported command START STOP UNIT issued. --ok

Jan 29 23:53:50.784: vcpu-1| SCSI scsi0:0: Unsupported command START STOP UNIT issued. --ok

Jan 29 23:53:51.286: vcpu-0| SCSI scsi0:0: Unsupported command START STOP UNIT issued. --ok

Jan 29 23:53:51.287: vcpu-1| SCSI scsi0:0: Unsupported command START STOP UNIT issued. --ok

Jan 29 23:53:51.482: vcpu-1| VIDE: (0x170) OUTB Cmd 0xe6, Aborting Unknown Atapi Command

Jan 29 23:53:51.502: vcpu-0| E1000: -- read not allowed on IMC

Jan 29 23:53:51.509: vcpu-1| SCSI scsi0:0: Unsupported command START STOP UNIT issued. --ok

Jan 29 23:53:52.827: vcpu-0| UHCI: HCReset

Jan 29 23:53:52.830: vcpu-0| PIIX4: PM ignoring unimplemented suspend type 0x5!

If I'm reading that right, the Guest must be trying to go into some kind of Suspend Mode. Tries to spin down the SCSI HD, spin down the IDE CD-ROM, put the NIC in standby...

I'm going to add monitor = "debug" to the vmx and see what it comes up with.

As documented in the PDF you need to tell Mac OS X not to go to sleep in the power settings inside the guest. VMware recommend this. Or install Caffeine app inside the guest and leave it running, but bottom line VMware does not support sleep for Leo or SL.

As documented in the PDF you need to tell Mac OS X not to go to sleep in the power settings inside the guest. VMware recommend this. Or install Caffeine app inside the guest and leave it running, but bottom line VMware does not support sleep for Leo or SL.

Ahhh my PDF doesn't have anything about sleep mode. Now I wish I had done a little bit more troubleshooting before I posted. D'oh.

Thanks again for all your hard work Donk, you're a champ!

HELP? Ok, I was trying up "upgrade" a clone of the Leopard install.

I went back to the original instructions, created a new machine in VMware, and tried to install from the retail SL disk.

But, although the applescreen came up when booting from the DVD, I never got the flash screens for install.

Ideas? (Do I have to run the setup again with the iso from darwinwks7?)

Files and Logs attached.

Leopard is working just perfectly.

plz any solution for virtualise snow leopard Snow_Leopard_10.6.1-10.6.2_SSE2_SSE3_Intel_AMD_by_Hazard with Vmware

The link you pasted doesn't work, however...

You're using a pirated copy of Snow Leopard which has a voodoo kernel built into it. Go buy a retail copy and install it using the guide in the beginning of this thread. You don't need a custom kernel built on the Guest using Donk's method.

Is there anyway to make new resolution with the Zenith432's excellent graphics drivers?

I have SL running as virtual machine in VMware 7 wks under windows 7. My laptop has the native resolution of 1366x768. Since Zenith432's graphic drivers does not has this resolution pre-configured, I have black bar on either size with 1280x800 selected.

Thanks

Is there anyway to make new resolution with the Zenith432's excellent graphics drivers?

I have SL running as virtual machine in VMware 7 wks under windows 7. My laptop has the native resolution of 1366x768. Since Zenith432's graphic drivers does not has this resolution pre-configured, I have black bar on either size with 1280x800 selected.

Thanks

I just checked in my Leopard install and it looks like you are stuck with this driver. I think this is a bit of an odd size.

Can I ask you how you installed SL? Was it directly from the DVD, or an upgrade of Leopard. I am having trouble getting the install sequence right.

Thanks

If you install his guestd patch, you should be able to Maximize or Fullscreen WMware 7 and then Autofit the Guest. http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/files/

Two questions:

Is it possible to install SL on VMWare Server 2.0.2 using the wks7 darwin iso? Is the status 'not officially supported" or "definitely doesn't work on anything except workstation7"?

If I start using the SL iso for wks7, will I have to recreate Leo virtual machines or will my existing virtual machines run fine on top of new iso?

Thanks for the great work.

Two questions:

Is it possible to install SL on VMWare Server 2.0.2 using the wks7 darwin iso? Is the status 'not officially supported" or "definitely doesn't work on anything except workstation7"?

If I start using the SL iso for wks7, will I have to recreate Leo virtual machines or will my existing virtual machines run fine on top of new iso?

Thanks for the great work.

Yes and No, No it is not possible to install SL on VM Server 2.x, with a Vanilla kernel, which is what the wks7 darwin.iso was designed. The reason for the yes is Zenith432's topic, uses a non standard kernel based around Chameleon, which provided you have L up and running should allow you to install SL against VM Server 2 as it works with W6.5, again an unsupportable environment for SL with a Vanilla kernel. The only supportable VM platforms for SL are Fusion 3, Workstation 7 and Player 3.

The darwin.iso in the wks7 zip is fully compatible with L, but do not forget to uninstall, add the the new darwin.iso to your install directory, i.e. darwin-200 and install the darin tools again, need to recreate the signature files, just copying the darwin.iso will not work.

Good luck.

plz any solution for virtualise snow leopard Snow_Leopard_10.6.1-10.6.2_SSE2_SSE3_Intel_AMD_by_Hazard with Vmware

tuto used

http://www.insanelymac.com/2009/12/install...indows-edition/

Need to look in one of the other topics, as this topic is speifically for "retail" DVD's of L or SL and a Vanilla kernel.

Hi everybody,

I would like some help to install Leopard Snow on VmWare Workstation 7.

Each time I received this message :"Mac OS X is not supported with software virtualization. To run Mac OS X you need a host on which VMware Workstation supports hardware virtualization."

(But I already achieved to install Mac OS X Tiger on VmWare 6.5 on this same machine last year, but when Windows XP was installed.)

I followed exactly the procedure explained by Donk on Jun 26 2009 in the .pdf "VMware Mac OS X Guest Package" Version 1.0.0

Here is my configuration :

- VMware Workstation 7.0.0 build-203739

- Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit (Build 7600) 6.1.7600

- AMD Athlon 64 x2 Core Processor 6400+ 3.20 GHz

- Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Build: 10A432 "Golden Master"

- VMware 64-bit Compatibility Check (6.0.0-45731) = Passed

- AMD Virtualization = enabled (in the BIOS)

I attached the .vmx file and the latest vmware.log file (compressed).

Thanks you in advance for your attention and advices.

Kind regards,

--

Woody

Mac_OS_X_10.6.vmx.rar

vmware.log.rar

Hi everybody,

I would like some help to install Leopard Snow on VmWare Workstation 7.

I followed exactly the procedure explained by Donk on Jun 26 2009 in the .pdf "VMware Mac OS X Guest Package" Version 1.0.0

Here is my configuration :

- AMD Athlon 64 x2 Core Processor 6400+ 3.20 GHz

Woody

OK, Woody the problem is simple, in the words of a well know Meerkat, if you have an AMD processor then Donks manual is not going to help. It is only for intel based CPU's as it uses a Vanilla kernel, and since Apple Macs only come with Intel processors, your CPU is not supported. But all is not lost look at Zenith432's Snow Kitty topic, as you have a working OS X environment you should be able to SL running on your hardware pretty well, but it will be based on Chameleon.

Good luck.

Mac Son of Knife, thanks for the quick reply. This helps.

Glad to be of help, let us know how you get on.

OK, Woody the problem is simple, in the words of a well know Meerkat, if you have an AMD processor then Donks manual is not going to help. It is only for intel based CPU's as it uses a Vanilla kernel, and since Apple Macs only come with Intel processors, your CPU is not supported. But all is not lost look at Zenith432's Snow Kitty topic, as you have a working OS X environment you should be able to SL running on your hardware pretty well, but it will be based on Chameleon.

Good luck.

Glad to be of help, let us know how you get on.

@ Mac Son of Knife

Thanks a lot for this information on this AMD incompatibility. It wasn't noticed on Donk post.

I will look for further procedure on the link you gave me and give some news on my attemps.

Thanks again,

--

Woody

hello World,

In ESX 4.0, i try to activate a 10.5 VM with a SCSI drive.

With an IDE drive, everything is OK, but when i create a SCSI drive (with LSI Logic Parallel), this drive is all the time "read only".

Any ideas of what is the problem ?

post-561399-1265114084_thumb.jpg

I just wanted to say "thank you" to Donk, Mac Son of Knife, and this thread -- after following your suggestions, my mac is running MUCH, MUCH better!

Welcome to the growing band of happy OS X Snow Leopard running under VMware Geeks! Glad we were able to help on behalf of Donk, Zenith432, myself and the other contributors on this site, Enjoy!

Quick sanity check before I undertake the effort to shove SL into a VMWare.

Currently running Windows 7 64-bit as primary OS, do *not* have a VMWare Workstation 7 license. Am I correct in understanding that I can grab a VMWare Workstation 7 *trial* license, use that to build the Snow Leopard VM, and then run the SL VM on-going with the free VMPlayer 3.x?

Quick sanity check before I undertake the effort to shove SL into a VMWare.

Currently running Windows 7 64-bit as primary OS, do *not* have a VMWare Workstation 7 license. Am I correct in understanding that I can grab a VMWare Workstation 7 *trial* license, use that to build the Snow Leopard VM, and then run the SL VM on-going with the free VMPlayer 3.x?

No need you can do everything in VM Player 3, for information Workstation 7 comes with the guestOS tools pre-nstalled and supports ESX as a guestOS, so the only difference in terms of running OS X is you will be asked to download the FreeBSD VM tools when you use it to create the base VM, per Donk's manual. So do not bother with VM W7, just download VM Player 3, the darwin.iso tools from Donk's 200 + wks7 zips will install just as happily in P3 as W7, everything else works the same.

We are here if you need help! P.S. I have done a complete SL build using P3, with no W7 in site, good luck!

No need you can do everything in VM Player 3, for information Workstation 7 comes with the guestOS tools pre-nstalled and supports ESX as a guestOS, so the only difference in terms of running OS X is you will be asked to download the FreeBSD VM tools when you use it to create the base VM, per Donk's manual. So do not bother with VM W7, just download VM Player 3, the darwin.iso tools from Donk's 200 + wks7 zips will install just as happily in P3 as W7, everything else works the same.

We are here if you need help! P.S. I have done a complete SL build using P3, with no W7 in site, good luck!

So...I got SL running in VMware Player 3 on Windows 7 64bit, but I'm not sure if I follow you on which version of VMware tools I should be using in order to improve graphics or add sound to the VM?

BTW: I'm using the HP Envy 15 laptop in this particular configuration.

Thx ahead of time for any guidance you can provide me!

So do I (hint-hint). I am dead in the water trying to install SL. :)

Mac Son of Knife (MSK) is working on it but we also have real day jobs and so will be ready when it's ready. :( I am just reviewing a copy but been laid up with an ear infection for a couple of days so not had chance to give my feedback yet.. I have passed to MSK a new ISO with latest tools and patched boot loader for testing.

Hi

I thought a new guide is going to come out for VMware and SL etc.. just wondering when?

:)

Yes a new guide is on the way, will try and get it finished by the weekend, sorry for the delay, this strange thing called work keeps getting in the way!

So do I (hint-hint). I am dead in the water trying to install SL. :D

Hopefully the wait will be worthwhile.

Mac Son of Knife (MSK) is working on it but we also have real day jobs and so will be ready when it's ready. :( I am just reviewing a copy but been laid up with an ear infection for a couple of days so not had chance to give my feedback yet.. I have passed to MSK a new ISO with latest tools and patched boot loader for testing.

Spooky, Mate we must have been posting at the same time, speak later, LoL!

So...I got SL running in VMware Player 3 on Windows 7 64bit, but I'm not sure if I follow you on which version of VMware tools I should be using in order to improve graphics or add sound to the VM?

BTW: I'm using the HP Envy 15 laptop in this particular configuration.

Thx ahead of time for any guidance you can provide me!

The darwin.iso (VM Tools) provide all the base functionality, and you maust have them running to have SL working. In terms of enhancements go to Zenith432's site and pull down his latest graphics drivers, audio drivers and the guestd package which allows resolution scaling, then you should be cooking on Gas.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/files/

Good luck!

laid up with an ear infection for a couple of days so not had chance to give my feedback yet

Donk, Sorry to hear about your ear infection, really not pleasant, been there myself, hope you feel better soon, MSofK.