VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

Mac, thanks for your attention. I didn't use that before reinstalling last time; this time I will.

Still, I'll look into bringing the total RAM to 3GB or 4GB.

About your two other points: When you say I should make sure the power settings are off in the guest Snow Leopard running inside Windows 7 on the Dell, do you mean I should go to the Energy Saver preference pane and change the setting to never? Are are you talking about some other element of 10.6?

UPDATE: The restore default button in Virtual Network Editor brought back bridging to VMnet0. I now believe a Windows 7 update was the cause of the problem.

Side note: Apologies to Donk for misspelling his name in my first post. Also, to both Mac and Donk: If you'd like another set of eyes to look over your guide to Snow Leopard and Workstation 7 before you publish it, feel free to contact me.

Firstly and most important, Techies and Geeks cannot spell! Something in the genes!!! Also, when you amend the darwin.iso file your must uninstall and re-install as the installation creates a signature file which is specific! and it will not recognise the new file if it is just copied etc.

In terms of power settings, yes I meant in the the guestOS OS X energy saver settings, this may be less relevant with your situation but is a common problem, an application exists to assist caffiene.

Lets hope the reset of the network settting in VM Workstation7 has resolved your networking issue, not normally an issue, other than the switch from NAT to Bridged is sometimes better. We are always keen to try and break our working config's, then put them back together, did I mention we cannot spell! So I am sure Donk does not mind me speaking for both of us when I say no Apologies necessary.

Speak soon!

P.S. GIves us an update re the mouse issue when you can.

Lets hope the reset of the network settting in VM Workstation7 has resolved your networking issue, not normally an issue, other than the switch from NAT to Bridged is sometimes better. We are always keen to try and break our working config's, then put them back together, did I mention we cannot spell! So I am sure Donk does not mind me speaking for both of us when I say no Apologies necessary.

Speak soon!

P.S. GIves us an update re the mouse issue when you can.

Everything now works. The mouse persists—at least it has for several hours and through Windows 7–initiated screen dimming and sleep—and the network is up. Windows 7 and the iMac see each other, and the virtual machine Mac OS on the Dell sees the iMac. The sole hitch, which isn't important, is that the iMac isn't picking up the Dell's guest OS in Workstation.

Actually that's not the only hitch, but the other is an entirely different matter outside the scope of this thread. Now that the installation works properly, I want to back up the entire Dell hard disk with Acronis Home 2010, but none of my Mac-formatted external hard drives show up in Windows Explorer even with MacDrive 8. I may have to buy a larger internal drive for the laptop, swap out the present 60GB internal, and use it as the backup. It's on the small side anyway.

Mac, thank you and your collaborator donk for the work you've put into adapting Workstation and helping out perplexed people like me. You're a latter-day Maimonides, you are. :(

Everything now works. I may have to buy a larger internal drive for the laptop, swap out the present 60GB internal, and use it as the backup. It's on the small side anyway.

Mac, thank you and your collaborator donk for the work you've put into adapting Workstation and helping out perplexed people like me. You're a latter-day Maimonides, you are. :P

Great news, I have fitted a Seagate 2.5" 500GB 7200rpm SATA with the ASG disk parking function, just in case, into my HP laptop fast and lots of space, part no ST9500420ASG if you are interested, they do smaller versions depending on budget. But it's scary how quickly it gets eaten once you have half a dozon VM's and all the other c**p, I seem to need these days.

On the external drive front, could you not format them with FAT32, and then both Windows and OS X can read and write to them, not sure if this will work for you, it has in the past for me, but I do not have a mac at the moment, Boo Hoo! You may need Acronis to do the format, as Windows 7 uses exFAT.

Finally, I had to Google Maimonides, thanks for the compliment! but Donk is the Master, I'm just the apprentice but glad we were able to help.

ESX 4 vsphere

my VMX file

#!/usr/bin/vmware
.encoding = "UTF-8"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "7"
pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge4.functions = "8"
pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge5.functions = "8"
pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge6.functions = "8"
pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge7.functions = "8"
vmci0.present = "TRUE"
nvram = "OSX.nvram"
deploymentPlatform = "windows"
virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"
unity.customColor = "|23C0C0C0"
tools.upgrade.policy = "useGlobal"
powerType.powerOff = "default"
powerType.powerOn = "default"
powerType.suspend = "default"
powerType.reset = "default"

displayName = "OSX"
extendedConfigFile = "OSX.vmxf"
floppy0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0.sharedBus = "none"
scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
memsize = "2048"
scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:0.fileName = "OSX.vmdk"
scsi0:0.deviceType = "scsi-hardDisk"
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.clientDevice = "TRUE"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"
ide1:0.startConnected = "FALSE"
floppy0.startConnected = "FALSE"
floppy0.clientDevice = "TRUE"
ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
ethernet0.networkName = "VM Network"
ethernet0.addressType = "vpx"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:50:56:82:3e:73"
usb.present = "TRUE"
chipset.onlineStandby = "FALSE"
#guestOSAltName = "FreeBSD (64-bit)"
guestOS = "darwin-64"
uuid.bios = "42 02 7a d3 e3 f6 69 57-d9 d8 0a d6 8c 63 44 c2"
vc.uuid = "52 9d 74 df ca 14 04 cf-81 b9 18 89 6f 68 48 b7"
snapshot.action = "keep"
sched.cpu.min = "0"
sched.cpu.units = "mhz"
sched.cpu.shares = "normal"
sched.mem.minsize = "0"
sched.mem.shares = "normal"
ich7m.present = "TRUE"
keyboard.vusb.enable = "FALSE"
mouse.vusb.enable = "TRUE"
usb:0.present = "TRUE"
usb:1.present = "TRUE"
usb:1.deviceType = "hub"
usb:0.deviceType = "mouse"
monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"
monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"
svga.vramSize = "16711680"

uuid.location = "56 4d f9 0f ec f2 a2 94-45 99 b4 20 70 e5 78 b5"
cleanShutdown = "FALSE"
replay.supported = "TRUE"
sched.swap.derivedName = "/vmfs/volumes/4a7c39a2-c52846ae-8180-002481e2bd88/OSX-ceed865e.vswp"
debugStub.linuxOffsets = "0x0,0xffffffff,0x9c26ce8,0x0,0x9c26cfa,0x0,0xfc0520b8,0xffffffff,0x0,0x0,0x9
c26b88,0x0,0x9c26b9d,0x0"
scsi0:0.redo = ""
vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "16711680"
pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"
usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"
ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"
vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "34"
vmci0.id = "-1939651390"
hostCPUID.0 = "0000000b756e65476c65746e49656e69"
hostCPUID.1 = "000106a500100800009ce3bdbfebfbff"
hostCPUID.80000001 = "00000000000000000000000128100800"
guestCPUID.0 = "0000000b756e65476c65746e49656e69"
guestCPUID.1 = "000006f100010800800022010febfbff"
guestCPUID.80000001 = "00000000000000000000000120100800"
userCPUID.0 = "0000000b756e65476c65746e49656e69"
userCPUID.1 = "000106a500100800000022010febfbff"
userCPUID.80000001 = "00000000000000000000000120100800"
evcCompatibilityMode = "TRUE"

ide1:0.fileName = "/usr/lib/vmware/isoimages/darwin.iso"

tools.syncTime = "FALSE"
tools.remindInstall = "FALSE"

floppy0.fileName = "/dev/fd0"
smc.present = "FALSE"

When i installed it, it frooze at 99% install, but once i rebooted it was fine.

But when i'm in VI client console mode the mouse is laggy, i bumped up the memory to 2gb but still no good. So i had a look at the Hardware and this is what is shows.

osx.jpg

Is there anything in the vmx file i can edit to get a better processor?

ESX processor is E5540 quad core. 2.53ghz

EDIT: I grabbed the VMX file while it was running.

The reply function isn't working right ;) , anyways, why would you want airport? The VM connect through a virtualized ethernet connection via the host connection regaurdless of wether the host is wired of wireless. Sorry for any typos, I can't fix therm as the post box is refusing to cooperate with firefox.

Has anyone been able to get Airport working with a virtualized OS X 10.6 guest? If so, how do you configure for this?

The reply function isn't working right :P , anyways, why would you want airport? The VM connect through a virtualized ethernet connection via the host connection regaurdless of wether the host is wired of wireless. Sorry for any typos, I can't fix therm as the post box is refusing to cooperate with firefox.

Firefox 3.6 doesn't work with the forum software! I have reported it. Rolled back to 3.5.7 and works again.

On topic unless you have a USB based WiFi adapter then there is no wireless inside VMware.

hello world :-)

I try, i read, i search, i try and i read again, but that's don't work. :-(

I have an ESX 4.0 update1, and i try to virtualize an old OS 10.4 SERVER.

With the original OS 10.4 server DVD, i had the following errors during the installation (with darwin.iso and voodoo.iso too)

post-561399-1264442363_thumb.jpg

If someone has some ideas. Hardware incompatibilty ?

GE

hello world :-)

I try, i read, i search, i try and i read again, but that's don't work. :-(

I have an ESX 4.0 update1, and i try to virtualize an old OS 10.4 SERVER.

With the original OS 10.4 server DVD, i had the following errors during the installation (with darwin.iso and voodoo.iso too)

post-561399-1264442363_thumb.jpg

If someone has some ideas. Hardware incompatibilty ?

GE

Only 10.5 will work on ESXi 4. Snow Leopard may be working via some complex changes including a new kernel.

I have a disk problem.

I am trying to install using VMware but after I get the GUI from a retail version of Leopard the machine turns on "examining disks". If I use the disk utility there are no disks mounted.

I am following the instructions on the "VMware Mac OS Guest Package".

I am running on a Dell M2300. I believe this install has worked on its sister a Dell M6300... slightly bigger screen. The Processor has the VT instruction set enabled and verified by CPU-Z and is a dual Intel processor.

On device manager the drive is listed as:

ST9320423ASG ATA Device

Location 0(Channel 0, Target 0, Lun 0)

Driver: Microsoft 6.1.7600.16385

Driver files: disk.sys; partmgr.sys; SDDisk2K.sys

I guess basically the GUI install does not find this drive since it is not mounted... perhaps Windows 7 drivers are throwing a curve ball here.

Suggestions appreciated.VMX Configuration and Log files attached.

Thanks for the considerations... I think I am close.

Mac_Leopard___Copy.txt

vmware.log.txt

I have a disk problem.

I am trying to install using VMware but after I get the GUI from a retail version of Leopard the machine turns on "examining disks". If I use the disk utility there are no disks mounted.

I am following the instructions on the "VMware Mac OS Guest Package".

I guess basically the GUI install does not find this drive since it is not mounted... perhaps Windows 7 drivers are throwing a curve ball here.

Suggestions appreciated.VMX Configuration and Log files attached.

Thanks for the considerations... I think I am close.

The Windows 7 drivers should have no effect VM Workstation 7 uses its own virtual drivers, as you have used SCSI that is good, your .vmx file looks OK, although I have found leopard installs better with the USB for keyboard and mouse set = "FALSE", also need a couple of additional settings see below:

ich7m.present = "TRUE" already set, recommended

keyboard.vusb.enable = "FALSE" currently set to "TRUE" but I have had issues especially with the keyboard giving spurious results, seems to work fine if set to "FALSE" but requires the darwin.iso from the wks7 zip

mouse.vusb.enable = "FALSE"

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware" recommended addition

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software" recommended addition

smc.present = "FALSE" already set, but recommended

Assuming you have the relevant darwin.iso installed, via the setup.cmd install command, and a retail version of Leopard (as you state) then the GUI should get to a point where it wants to select a disk, but with nothing available.

Then go into utilities and select disk utility and there should be a VMware disk visible as well as your mounted OS X install DVD, under the partition tab, click on the VMware disk and create a single partition, make sure it is a GUID Partiton Table, via the options tab and make a single partiton, and give it a name I normally call it OS X, and set the formalt as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and apply. Once this is done exit Disk Utility and you should now see a disk to install at the select disk screen.

Hope this helps.

Then go into utilities and select disk utility and there should be a VMware disk visible as well as your mounted OS X install DVD, under the partition tab, click on the VMware disk and create a single partition, make sure it is a GUID Partiton Table, via the options tab and make a single partiton, and give it a name I normally call it OS X, and set the formalt as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and apply. Once this is done exit Disk Utility and you should now see a disk to install at the select disk screen.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, but when I look at the utilities I do not see any VMware disk available (just the CD). I wonder if I can just make one via this utility? Must be something wrong in the initial set up of the machine. I have successfully installed PC-BSD in the past.

Thanks, but when I look at the utilities I do not see any VMware disk available (just the CD). I wonder if I can just make one via this utility? Must be something wrong in the initial set up of the machine. I have successfully installed PC-BSD in the past.

OK, here is a thought, start again, but select FreeBSD 64-bit, go through the options as per the manual make the HD 64GB or more, you have a 320GB drive as I recall from your laptop spec and we are not going to pre-allocate it anyway, just giving it some headroom. The FreeBSD 64-bit will default to SCSI which is good, IDE can cause problems, which is the default for FreeBSD. Fire up the VM once, and close it down, alter the .vmx adding the following:

guestOS = "darwin10-64"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "FALSE"

Then with your retail OS X iso or DVD mounted, hopefully you will be able to see your VMware Hard Drive in Disk Utility.

A few pre-requisites, which I am sure you have comfirmed are correct, but for anyone else, and for completeness:

1: OS X Media must be Retail, £20 form Apple UK, $30 from Apple US, no torrents, no non Vanilla versions, well not in this Topic, OK.

2: PC/Laptop must support VT-x and be enabled in BIOS.

3: A vanilla Snow Leopard install needs either VM Workstation 7 or Player 3, and one of Donk's darwin.iso installs, darwin-200 plus snowy or wks7 zip files

Good Luck!

A few pre-requisites, which I am sure you have comfirmed are correct, but for anyone else, and for completeness:

1: OS X Media must be Retail, £20 form Apple UK, $30 from Apple US, no torrents, no non Vanilla versions, well not in this Topic, OK.

2: PC/Laptop must support VT-x and be enabled in BIOS.

3: A vanilla Snow Leopard install needs either VM Workstation 7 or Player 3, and one of Donk's darwin.iso installs, darwin-200 plus snowy or wks7 zip files

P.S. Thanks to Donk for his continued work in this and other topics on this site.

Looking good! I followed these instructions and then had to redo after lack of memory error. raised memory to 1024k. Then got to start page without disk. I then went to your instructions about the disk above. Installed and running.

Thanks for all the help.

There are a few display and other issues I am sure.

Can I ask what kind of performance you guys are seeing with your VMWares? I followed this guide to setting up Snow Leopard (it was a while ago, I'm not sure if the instructions have been updated to do something better than I did), and while it feels like everything works, it is still sluggish on my "beast" of a computer that I built ~6 months ago. Is there something in the graphics area that I could change to make it fast and happy like a real mac, or is what I am seeing typical? I can use it (xcode, safari/firefox), but it's noticeably slower than I know it would be on a mac with lesser hardware.

Thanks!

I have idendeb 10.5.8 Lite working in VMWare perfectly well, Only thing is no Audio.

Also is there a way to make the menu bar transparent, or is this not possible in VMWare?

I'm using VMWare Player 3.0.

Eveyrhting is running smooth and fast, the window can be resized and vmware will change the resolution of the guest OS to match. I'm not sure if there's supposed to be drag and drop support or anything :/ Oreven copy and paste from host to guest.

EDIT: I have sound now.

Can I ask what kind of performance you guys are seeing with your VMWares? I followed this guide to setting up Snow Leopard (it was a while ago, I'm not sure if the instructions have been updated to do something better than I did), and while it feels like everything works, it is still sluggish on my "beast" of a computer that I built ~6 months ago. Is there something in the graphics area that I could change to make it fast and happy like a real mac, or is what I am seeing typical? I can use it (xcode, safari/firefox), but it's noticeably slower than I know it would be on a mac with lesser hardware.

Thanks!

If you look right above you'll see I just installed Leopard. It is clearly slower than I would like. I have 4 other VM installs on the same machine, a Dell M2300. Ubuntu runs the best, followed by PC-BSD, then XP then 98. Machine runs W7 as primary OS. This Mac OS really reminds me of a Linux install, though Ubuntu 9.10 is clearly faster.

Thanks!

OK, since you built this sometime ago, may be worth updating your darwin.iso, the latest version wks7 zip, but do not forget to uninstall the VM tools via the setup.cmd uninstall command, update the darwin.iso and then reinstall with setup.cmd install. Need to do this as the uninstall / install creates new signatures.

Also I assume since you used the manual from this topic you have VT-x enabled in BIOS as this makes a huge difference in terms of performance. Other things to do is install Zenith432's excellent graphics drivers link below:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/files/

The final thing to check is a couple of settings in your .vmx, as a couple of additional settings have been added over the life of this topic, also I have had updates amend the .vmx away from the recommendations below, and had to re-apply:

guestOS = "darwin10-64" for 64-bit or "darwin10" for 32-bit

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

keyboard.vusb.enable = "TRUE" set this to "FALSE" if you have keyboard issues

smc.present = "FALSE"

For the record my VM OS X runs very well, using the above configuration.

Hope this helps!

Looking good! I followed these instructions and then had to redo after lack of memory error. raised memory to 1024k. Then got to start page without disk. I then went to your instructions about the disk above. Installed and running.

Thanks for all the help.

There are a few display and other issues I am sure.

Try Zenith432's excellent graphics drivers link below:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/files/

Glad the directions helped you progress, in terms of display issues use Zenith432's latest graphics driver VMsvga2_v1.2.2_Common_Installer.pkg and the guest package to allow scaling with Donk's darwin.iso guestd_patches.pkg. Zenith432 also has an audio driver on the same site which is well worth installing.

Good luck.

I have idendeb 10.5.8 Lite working in VMWare perfectly well, Only thing is no Audio.

Also is there a way to make the menu bar transparent, or is this not possible in VMWare?

I'm using VMWare Player 3.0.

Eveyrhting is running smooth and fast, the window can be resized and vmware will change the resolution of the guest OS to match. I'm not sure if there's supposed to be drag and drop support or anything :/ Oreven copy and paste from host to guest.

EDIT: I have sound now.

Try Zenith432's graphics driver with the guest package if you are using Donk's darwin.iso, i have posted the link in related posts today.

On another point this topic is specifically for OS X under VM with a vanilla kernel, i.e install from a retail DVD not one of the Hackintosh releases, so responses in this topic may not help. There are other topics on InsanelyMac which deal with the Hackintosh versions.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the help. I downloaded the various patches, but afraid I have to ask the dumb questions of where/how they are installed. Into the VMware or on the Mac? I have to say pretty hard to search on this website....

Hey, no problem, the drivers are for the OS X GuestOS, as they are .pkg which is along with .dmg's are for the Mac. The only component required for the VM side is the darwin.iso install package, everything else is done in the Mac OS X side.

So to get them to your GuestOS either put them on a USB stick and connect that to your VM or enable shared folders within your Virtual Machine Settings and point them at a relevant location on the host OS.

In terms of "pretty hard to search on this website" watch this space or should I say topic!

You are getting close, promise!

Firefox 3.6 doesn't work with the forum software! I have reported it. Rolled back to 3.5.7 and works again.

On topic unless you have a USB based WiFi adapter then there is no wireless inside VMware.

Donk,

Congratulations 1000 posts, should be a medal for that!!!! Thanks from everyone on InsanelyMac for your significant contribution, from an InsanelyMac Geek.

Got the video driver loaded and now I have one screen of my two screens filled with OS X and the other with Windows 7... makes for some interesting conversation around the lab.

I found the rest of the audio drivers at the bottom of the page! What, nothing else to mess with!?! Works just fine, so how to I upgrade to Snow Leopard to pass the time?

Thanks for all the help.

Just for the record this is a Dell Precision Workstation Laptop M2300.

Got the video driver loaded and now I have one screen of my two screens filled with OS X and the other with Windows 7... makes for some interesting conversation around the lab.

I found the rest of the audio drivers at the bottom of the page! What, nothing else to mess with!?! Works just fine, so how to I upgrade to Snow Leopard to pass the time?

Thanks for all the help.

Just for the record this is a Dell Precision Workstation Laptop M2300.

Jerry, I would build a new VM for SL, rather than upgrading, all the things we have done to get L up and running apply to SL, the graphics driver is common to both, although the audio driver is different but on Zenith432's site. Donk's latest darwin.iso wks7 zip works for both, all the .vmx setting are the same other than the guestOS = "darwin10" or "darwin10-64" i.e. 10 stands for SL.

You will need a "retail" copy of SL, other than that enjoy! Here to help, but I think you are pretty switched on to OS X now, LoL!

Hi Gurus,

I've been playing with my new SL VM... everything seems to be working almost perfect after a couple dozen re-installs. The problem I'm having is that the Guest will freeze at random and I'll be forced to power off the Guest and restart it. There's no rhyme or reason to the crashes but VMWare is successfully creating it's logfile. Could one of you guys take a quick look at the attached log files and let me know what might be up?

At first I thought it could be when my laptop shifts from wall power to battery... so I set the OS power settings to "High Performance" mode and then hand edited all the 20-30 advanced settings so the "Plugged-in" and "Battery" settings would mirror each other identically.

EDIT: I'm now noticing that the freezes happen even if there are no changes to the power state of the Host.

Background:

CPU: Core i7 Extreme 975 (3.33 GHz)

RAM: 12 GB DDR3-1333 (3 x 4GB)

VMWare: 7.0.0 build-203739

Donk's ISO: darwin-wks7.iso

OSX: Snow Leopard Retail.

Patched to 10.6.2 with Combo Patch

Installed VMWare Tools 300 from darwin-wks7.iso

Installed VMsvga2_v1.2.2_Common_Installer.pkg

Installed guestd_patches.pkg (2009-12-16 build)

Installed EnsoniqAudioPCI_1.0.2_for_SnowLeopard.mpkg.tar.gz

Everything else is bone stock.

In vmware.log the Guest booted at 23:30:01, froze at 23:54:23, powered off at 23:57:22

In vmware-0.log the Guest booted at 21:22:41, froze at 21:40:33, powered off at 23:27:00

OSX86 Snow Leopard.vmx

vmware.log

vmware-0.log

Thanks in advance and special thanks to Donk, Zenith432, and the rest of the crew for all the great information in the thread.

Wait, nevermind. The common element here is:

Jan 29 23:49:28.624: vcpu-0| SCSI scsi0:0: Unsupported command START STOP UNIT issued. --ok

Jan 29 23:53:30.280: vcpu-1| SCSI scsi0:0: Unsupported command START STOP UNIT issued. --ok

Jan 29 23:53:50.784: vcpu-1| SCSI scsi0:0: Unsupported command START STOP UNIT issued. --ok

Jan 29 23:53:51.286: vcpu-0| SCSI scsi0:0: Unsupported command START STOP UNIT issued. --ok

Jan 29 23:53:51.287: vcpu-1| SCSI scsi0:0: Unsupported command START STOP UNIT issued. --ok

Jan 29 23:53:51.482: vcpu-1| VIDE: (0x170) OUTB Cmd 0xe6, Aborting Unknown Atapi Command

Jan 29 23:53:51.502: vcpu-0| E1000: -- read not allowed on IMC

Jan 29 23:53:51.509: vcpu-1| SCSI scsi0:0: Unsupported command START STOP UNIT issued. --ok

Jan 29 23:53:52.827: vcpu-0| UHCI: HCReset

Jan 29 23:53:52.830: vcpu-0| PIIX4: PM ignoring unimplemented suspend type 0x5!

If I'm reading that right, the Guest must be trying to go into some kind of Suspend Mode. Tries to spin down the SCSI HD, spin down the IDE CD-ROM, put the NIC in standby...

I'm going to add monitor = "debug" to the vmx and see what it comes up with.