VMware Mac OS X Guest Package for ESX, Workstation, Player, Server and Fusion

2,213 posts in this topic

Donk,

How do you "shrink" a Mac OS X virtual hard disk? Your "manual.pdf" says to use the "vmware-tools-guestd" executable to shrink a virtual hard disk.

The latest darwin.iso (AKA: darwin-wks.zip) does not include the "vmware-tools-guestd" executable.

I am current running VMware Fusion 3.01.

Note:

The "vmware-tools-guestd" executable only appears in the darwin.iso file (which is part of the vmware-darwin-200.zip file). I do not want to use the vmware-darwin-200.zip. I use Mac OS X 10.6 guests and the vmware-darwin-200.zip will not work with Mac OS X 10.6 guests.

Actually if you read my original post and the PDF, the changes I published also allow Mac OS X client version on Fusion as well, not just Server

Donk,

Yes, that's why I use it.

Mac Son of Knife,

How do you "shrink" a Mac OS X virtual hard disk? The "manual.pdf" (by Donk) says to use the "vmware-tools-guestd" executable to shrink a virtual hard disk.

The latest darwin.iso (AKA: darwin-wks.zip) does not include the "vmware-tools-guestd" executable.

I am current running VMware Fusion 3.01.

Note:

The "vmware-tools-guestd" executable only appears in the darwin.iso file (which is part of the vmware-darwin-200.zip file). I do not want to use the vmware-darwin-200.zip. I use Mac OS X 10.6 guests and the vmware-darwin-200.zip will not work with Mac OS X 10.6 guests.

I'm confused by this statement:

VMWare Fusion on a "real" Mac only supports Mac OS X Server as a guest.

You can run the client version on Fusion on a real Mac, I do it all the time.

The VMware tools have changed in Fusion 3 and a different way of shrinking is needed. I can't find my notes at the moment and will post when I find them.

The VMware tools have changed in Fusion 3 and a different way of shrinking is needed. I can't find my notes at the moment and will post when I find them.

Donk,

Straight out of the box, Fusion cannot run the client version of Mac OS X as a guest. You need the VMware Mac OS X Guest Package or some other mod to make this happen.

Donk,

Straight out of the box, Fusion cannot run the client version of Mac OS X as a guest. You need the VMware Mac OS X Guest Package or some other mod to make this happen.

Doesn't matter I just read from the comment that you used a Hackintosh to solve that problem.

Donk,

It looks as if Fusion 3 only allows for a "Disk Cleanup" under "Setting/Hard Disks". They took the capabilty of shrinking a Mac OS X guest out of the equation. The only executable they left us for shrinking disks (which won't work on Mac OS X guests) is the following:

"vmware-tools-cli"

Donk,

It looks as if Fusion 3 only allows for a "Disk Cleanup" under "Setting/Hard Disks". They took the capabilty of shrinking a Mac OS X guest out of the equation. The only executable they left us for shrinking disks (which won't work on Mac OS X guests) is the following:

"vmware-tools-cli"

You tried ./vmware-tools-cli disk shrink via sudo? Need to do the dd stuff in the PDF first.

You tried ./vmware-tools-cli disk shrink via sudo? Need to do the dd stuff in the PDF first.

Did the precompact (AKA: DD command) and zeroed out the drive

ran sudo ./vmware-tools-cli disk shrink /

Note: A mount point is required.

It says: "Partition / is not shrinkable"

I read the Fusion 3.0 documentation. VMware has ripped this shrinking feature right out of their software. It states that the "vmware-tools-cli" utility cannot be used to shrink a Mac OS X virtual hard disk.

I guess that they have included shrinking in the "Cleanup Disk" feature. In the past, the "Cleanup Disk" feature was used to defragment and compact the ".vmdk" files (not the guest os file system). Now I guess the "Cleanup Disk" feature does it all for you.

The process used to be 3 steps:

1) Guest OS is compacted (dd command to zero out drive)

2) Guest OS is compacted (AKA: shrink)

3) "Cleanup Disk" feature is used to defragment and compact the ".vmdk" files

Hey, not a problem, if you are not familiar better to ask! In terms of updating from Workstation 7.0.0 to 7.0.1. It does a complete uninstall of 7.0.0, requests a re-boot, then installs 7.0.1, so you loose your darwin.iso, so you need to re-install it.

Click on start and select Run... and then type CMD and click on OK this will bring up the Command Prompt. Click in to the command prompt window and change directories to where you unzipped the darwin-200 zip with the updated darwin.iso from the wks7 zip, this superceeds the snowy zip. Once in the correct directory run the "setup.cmd install" command.

msok,

Thanks as usual. I may throw caution to the wind and update. One other question before the momentous step: on the VMware download page there are two options for 7.0.1: with tool and without tools. Are we using the VMware tools supplied by the bigger download? Section 4.0 of the pdf manual speaks of tools included in the darwin.iso.

So, here are the zip files I've downloaded from the thread:

darwin-wks7.zip

vmware-darwin-200.zip

vmware-darwin-voodoo.zip

If I understand correctly…

• I replace the darwin.iso in the unzipped vmware-darwin-200 folder with the darwin.iso from darwin-wks7

• I run the setup.cmd file from vmware-darwin-200

• Inside the VMware Snow Leopard installation I install the voodoo.iso from the unzipped vmware-darwin-voodoo and the AppleAC97Audio kext from vmware-darwin-200

I appreciate any and all guidance. No rush!

Donk,

The "manual.pdf" states that people will have problems with "Shared Folders" and should use a UID. I've never had problems with the Shared Folders in Fusion. Works fine. I am running Fusion 3.0.1.

Was this "Shared Folder" section (within the manual.pdf) suppose to be for users running another type of VMware software (ex: Vmware workstation, etc).

Donk,

The "manual.pdf" states that people will have problems with "Shared Folders" and should use a UID. I've never had problems with the Shared Folders in Fusion. Works fine. I am running Fusion 3.0.1.

Was this "Shared Folder" section (within the manual.pdf) suppose to be for users running another type of VMware software (ex: Vmware workstation, etc).

It's out of date now. Mac Son of Knife is working on newer documentation and I will update the main manual at some point but work and a paper I am writing for VMware forums is higher priority at present.

msok,

Thanks as usual. I may throw caution to the wind and update. One other question before the momentous step: on the VMware download page there are two options for 7.0.1: with tool and without tools. Are we using the VMware tools supplied by the bigger download? Section 4.0 of the pdf manual speaks of tools included in the darwin.iso.

So, here are the zip files I've downloaded from the thread:

darwin-wks7.zip

vmware-darwin-200.zip

vmware-darwin-voodoo.zip

If I understand correctly…

• I replace the darwin.iso in the unzipped vmware-darwin-200 folder with the darwin.iso from darwin-wks7

• I run the setup.cmd file from vmware-darwin-200

• Inside the VMware Snow Leopard installation I install the voodoo.iso from the unzipped vmware-darwin-voodoo and the AppleAC97Audio kext from vmware-darwin-200

I appreciate any and all guidance. No rush!

Dogen,

Nearly there, all OK until you come to the voodoo, you do not need the voodoo version of the darwin.iso, mount the one you installed in the VMware Workstation or Player directory, and install that version of the VMware Tools. In terms of Audio and Graphics use the drivers on Zenith432's site url below, but also install the guestd package to allow graphics scaling.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmsvga2/files/

Hope this helps!

It's out of date now. Mac Son of Knife is working on newer documentation and I will update the main manual at some point but work and a paper I am writing for VMware forums is higher priority at present.

As Donk says the new documentation nearly sorted, well for Windows anyway, will be working with Donk on other host OS's once the Windows version is finished. Hopefully it will have been worth the wait.

Cheers, MacSofK!

Hey Guys,

i tried that today within an ESXi 4.0 Update 1 Hypervisor.

It simply don't starts the VM coming with an Error Message that the "darwin10" is not an supportet OS Code..

As long as

guestOS = "darwin10"

is in the config file it doesnt start the VM - if i delelte that line or change it to freeBSD it will start but halt with "no operating system found.."

any suggestions on that? somebody here successfully managed to get it running on latest esxi?

Hey Guys,

i tried that today within an ESXi 4.0 Update 1 Hypervisor.

It simply don't starts the VM coming with an Error Message that the "darwin10" is not an supportet OS Code..

As long as

guestOS = "darwin10"

is in the config file it doesnt start the VM - if i delelte that line or change it to freeBSD it will start but halt with "no operating system found.."

any suggestions on that? somebody here successfully managed to get it running on latest esxi?

Snow Leopard is not supported on ESXi with a vanilla kernel, only Leopard is supported, so guestOS = "darwin". The work by Zenith432 on the Snow Kitty topic may help as it uses a Chameleon based kernel, and SL can be made to work on Workstation 6.5 which is at the same release level as ESXi 4. Workstation 7 is at a later release hence it will support SL.

Hope this clarifies the situation.

Snow Leopard is not supported on ESXi with a vanilla kernel, only Leopard is supported, so guestOS = "darwin". The work by Zenith432 on the Snow Kitty topic may help as it uses a Chameleon based kernel, and SL can be made to work on Workstation 6.5 which is at the same release level as ESXi 4. Workstation 7 is at a later release hence it will support SL.

Hope this clarifies the situation.

Hi,

I have been searching this forum for that topic, could someone please share a link to it?

I have successfully managed to get SL server to run in ESX4.0/vSphere4, but that solution is based on kernel hacks etc - and prolly does not fit in this topic . Unfortunately I have not managed to start the GUI, so I need to administer it with the server tools from another workstation. Hopefully pointers to a solution could be found in another topic, but I find it hard to find certain info in this forum.

Mike

Hi,

I have been searching this forum for that topic, could someone please share a link to it?

I have successfully managed to get SL server to run in ESX4.0/vSphere4, but that solution is based on kernel hacks etc - and prolly does not fit in this topic . Unfortunately I have not managed to start the GUI, so I need to administer it with the server tools from another workstation. Hopefully pointers to a solution could be found in another topic, but I find it hard to find certain info in this forum.

Mike

Indeed, this topic is purely for a vanilla kernel, and retail DVD, hence no support for SL under ESX(i). Perhaps we need a new topic to run through the requirments for getting SL running under ESX(i), I will have a look once I have got my ESX(i) Server back up and running. In the meantime the best topic I can suggest is Zenith432's "Snowy Kitty" link below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1286951

Hope this helps!

Is there a darwin.iso that works with VMware 3.x. I use Mac Fusion 3.0.1 (which uses EFI, instead of a BIOS).

Has someone figured out a method of modifying the VMware 3.x EFI so that a user can install Mac OS X (client) without receiving the following error:

"The guest operating system is not Mac OS X Server"

Note:

I can use the darwin.iso (from the darwin-wks7.zip archive) and delete the "firmware=efi" entry in the .vmx file to boot the virtual machine via the BIOS and install the Mac OS X (client) operating system, but I do not like this method. This method always keeps your darwin.iso mounted on the desktop, which is not desirable!

Thanks, Nihilator

Hi Donk,

Thank you for a great thread and very helpful files.

My only suggestion (albeit one you are likely aware of) involves the currently "experimentally supported" vmware player 3. I completely understand that you do not officially support the player yet, but in light of the darwin.iso for Vmware 7 I thought an additional change to the script to support Player 3 might be nice. In particular the script on the front page may need to be modified to work with Vmware player. I tried to install the script on Linux (Ubuntu 9.10) and initially got an error message that said

"/home/myname/downloads/vmware-darwin-200/setup.sh: 27: vmware: not found"

Apparently vmware player version 3 has it's own command for giving the program version (vmplayer -v) instead of using vmware -v. When I modified the script and replaced "vmware -v" with "vmplayer -v" the script ran correctly.

If this ends up being a repeat from something said earlier in the thread, please accept my humble apologies.

Hi Donk,

My only suggestion (albeit one you are likely aware of) involves the currently "experimentally supported" vmware player 3. I completely understand that you do not officially support the player yet, but in light of the darwin.iso for Vmware 7 I thought an additional change to the script to support Player 3 might be nice. In particular the script on the front page may need to be modified to work with Vmware player. I tried to install the script on Linux (Ubuntu 9.10) and initially got an error message that said

Apparently vmware player version 3 has it's own command for giving the program version (vmplayer -v) instead of using vmware -v. When I modified the script and replaced "vmware -v" with "vmplayer -v" the script ran correctly.

If this ends up being a repeat from something said earlier in the thread, please accept my humble apologies.

Thanks for that. I will check out how to make it more usable for Player.

Hi Donk,

Just a note, the standard script for Windows works just fine for Player 3 on Windows, and functions for an OS X geustOS just the same as Workstation 7 on Windows.

Donk,

Have you figured out a method of modifying the VMware 3.x EFI so that a user can install Mac OS X (client) without receiving the following error:

"The guest operating system is not Mac OS X Server"

Yes I have but can only be used on Fusion on a real Mac. If that is useful I can post it.

Yes I have but can only be used on Fusion on a real Mac. If that is useful I can post it.

Donk,

I have Hackintoshes :D .

I guess I'll use my Fusion 2.x hackintosh to create virtual machines and use another hackintosh to run the virtual machines in Fusion 3.x.

What a pain! :D

Thanks, Nihilator

Hello, anybody found a way to run aperture 3?

I get a message that the installed graphic card does not meet the minimum requirement.

Graphic card being the default vmware wk7. I also tried the VMsvga2 driver but no luck.

Hello, anybody found a way to run aperture 3?

I get a message that the installed graphic card does not meet the minimum requirement.

Graphic card being the default vmware wk7. I also tried the VMsvga2 driver but no luck.

No chance needs QE/CI and no drivers for it on VMware currently.