[Guide] Hackintosh on HP 550 Notebook

mardurhack

221 posts in this topic

Thanks, my bios (v 1.32) has none of that options. My HP550 Bios is very simple.

edit: No, its Bios Version F.05, newer as the Bios Version on the HP Website...

I tried some different settings with "Data Execution Prevention", "Sata Native Mode" and "HDD Translation Mode". It won't work ;)

Im getting now the Kalyway DVD. Maybe it works :)

Beside of that, it is a very nice and cheap laptop and Ubuntu runs perfectly.

Here is a picture of my bios settings, not very useful :D

post-454163-1247008870_thumb.jpg

Mine is the same... B) Ok then try kalyway and let us know! ;)

Thanks, my bios (v 1.32) has none of that options. My HP550 Bios is very simple.

edit: No, its Bios Version F.05, newer as the Bios Version on the HP Website...

I tried some different settings with "Data Execution Prevention", "Sata Native Mode" and "HDD Translation Mode". It won't work :)

Im getting now the Kalyway DVD. Maybe it works :)

Beside of that, it is a very nice and cheap laptop and Ubuntu runs perfectly.

Here is a picture of my bios settings, not very useful :(

Ciao!

allora, come promesso mi rifaccio vivo, dunque intanto informo tutti che le SD sono riconosciute a meraviglia!

poi per il problema alle usb, mi correggo, non dipende da safari, a volte vanno a volte no... a questo punto penso che il controller sia leggermente differente dal tuo. Non so che altro pensare. oppure se sei così gentile ed hai la possibilità di inviarmi (se ancora ce l'hai) il file torrent da dove scaricare la tua esatta distro IPC 10.5.6... ciao e grazie!

I tried to install windows first and created a fat32 20GB Partition. iPC DVD does still not boot.

Mine is the same... :( Ok then try kalyway and let us know! ;)

Kalyway won't work too. You get exactly the same error Message.

I can't understand why. The Hardware Specs are exactly what OS-X needs.

:(

Ciao!

allora, come promesso mi rifaccio vivo, dunque intanto informo tutti che le SD sono riconosciute a meraviglia!

poi per il problema alle usb, mi correggo, non dipende da safari, a volte vanno a volte no... a questo punto penso che il controller sia leggermente differente dal tuo. Non so che altro pensare. oppure se sei così gentile ed hai la possibilità di inviarmi (se ancora ce l'hai) il file torrent da dove scaricare la tua esatta distro IPC 10.5.6... ciao e grazie!

I am sorry, i don't understand a word.

I tried to install windows first and created a fat32 20GB Partition. iPC DVD does still not boot.

Kalyway won't work too. You get exactly the same error Message.

I can't understand why. The Hardware Specs are exactly what OS-X needs.

:(

...Mmmm I don't really know how to help you then... :P Because it's not a "solvable" kernel panic! Simply the kernel doesn't recognize your CPU! I'd try another kernel with Kalyway! I know you can do it with this distribution because it allows you to choose wich kernel to boot! ;) These are the possible kernels to use:

kernel_9.2_sleep

kernel_9.2_speedstep

kernel_9.2.2_kabyl

kernel_922_modbin

kernel_92_nforce

kernel_vanilla_922

You just have to type them (one by one obiouvsly until you find one that works) as boot parameters (I think you have to press F8 while it's doing the countdown in darwin bootloader) without any other symbol! Only the string you read! ;)

PS: Sorry about the Italian guy!! :P He was talking to me! ;) Because my Italian version of the guide has been removed for only-god-knows-what! XD

@milorambaldi: Cerca di scrivere in inglese se puoi sennò qui si incazzano! ;) Comunque non ho più il torrent di iPC mi dispiace :( Dovrebbe essere iPC OSx86 10 5 6 Universal FINAL il nome...Cerca su qualche sito di torrent lo trovi sicuramente ;)

...Mmmm I don't really know how to help you then... :) Because it's not a "solvable" kernel panic! Simply the kernel doesn't recognize your CPU! I'd try another kernel with Kalyway! I know you can do it with this distribution because it allows you to choose wich kernel to boot! ;) These are the possible kernels to use:

kernel_9.2_sleep

kernel_9.2_speedstep

kernel_9.2.2_kabyl

kernel_922_modbin

kernel_92_nforce

kernel_vanilla_922

You just have to type them (one by one obiouvsly until you find one that works) as boot parameters (I think you have to press F8 while it's doing the countdown in darwin bootloader) without any other symbol! Only the string you read! ;)

PS: Sorry about the Italian guy!! :P He was talking to me! ;) Because my Italian version of the guide has been removed for only-god-knows-what! XD

Thanks :) The Vanilla Kernel give me some new error codes. It says "disk1s2: Unsupported".

I have searched several hours.

It has nothing to do with the CPU. The Problem is the DVD-Rom/DVD. I don't know why (because i have installed with this disc another laptop), but it don't work in the HP550 Laptop. I have burnde it with an old NEC DVD-ROM.

I burned it again with the HP550 DVD-Rom under Ubuntu.

I could start the installer, and the installation process begins. But after 7, 8 minutes, the DVD was corruptet. Installation aborted.

Now i burdend it under Win XP and Nero9. The burning process failed :)

So i am trying now again my NEC DVD-Rom with 1x speed. Hope it helps...

To make a long story short: The kernel panic above in my screenshot means: DVD Corrupted.

So, after i have burned 5 or 6 DVDs and tried to install without luck, i have successfully installed osx.

I used an external DVD-ROM-Drive to install. Luckily, i bought an IDE 2 USB Adapter severals weeks ago :D

The OS-X DVD did not work in the HP550 built-in DVD-Rom Drive, but with my external Toshiba DVD-Rom it runs just fine.

So i guess, some of the HP550 Drives are a little fussy.

Thank you for the very fine tutorial and your help :) :)

NEWS: I tried Kalyway bundle and kexts for ACPI and powersaving on iPC....SAME PROBLEM! Instead with only Kalyway installed the problem is a bit different. Fan always spins at a low speed, but it spins at least, and there is that "intermittence" like in iPC! :) So it doesn't solve the problem either! :P

Nooo! Thank you for your report! ;) Anyway I would go to an HP Assistance Center to change the DVD Drive! I think it doesn't work properly! :P Because mine burnt, read and installed the OS without any problem ;) The model is in the page of the guide! :) Good Luck for post-installation!!

So, after i have burned 5 or 6 DVDs and tried to install without luck, i have successfully installed osx.

I used an external DVD-ROM-Drive to install. Luckily, i bought an IDE 2 USB Adapter severals weeks ago :D

The OS-X DVD did not work in the HP550 built-in DVD-Rom Drive, but with my external Toshiba DVD-Rom it runs just fine.

So i guess, some of the HP550 Drives are a little fussy.

Thank you for the very fine tutorial and your help :):)

• 2 weeks later...

i have few question guys regarding the boot load i always get the resolution like 1280 x 640 after install do you have any options on how to change the resolutions upon loading the operating system.

i tried various means and ways for my HP 540 it's very much the same with the HP 550 as per HP product bulletin :P

feedbacks and suggestions are very much appreciated

I tried the same thing because it shows the boot logo at 1024x768! :) It's awful! Anyway I could not solved...I tried to edit the boot.plist, to patch Darwin with a custom image...Nothing...

i have few question guys regarding the boot load i always get the resolution like 1280 x 640 after install do you have any options on how to change the resolutions upon loading the operating system.

i tried various means and ways for my HP 540 it's very much the same with the HP 550 as per HP product bulletin :)

you said it i tried various ways and means i guess this is the only flaw for the laptop same goes to the HP 550 and HP 540. Hope it will be solved soon... i'm digging for more information about the graphics

anyways

the voodoo HDA kext works perfectly on our laptops guys you might give it a try

mardurhack Posted Jul 23 2009, 08:42 PM

I tried the same thing because it shows the boot logo at 1024x768! :) It's awful! Anyway I could not solved...I tried to edit the boot.plist, to patch Darwin with a custom image...Nothing...

QUOTE (audiophile_user @ Jul 23 2009, 12:00 PM) post_snapback.gifi have few question guys regarding the boot load i always get the resolution like 1280 x 640 after install do you have any options on how to change the resolutions upon loading the operating system.

i tried various means and ways for my HP 540 it's very much the same with the HP 550 as per HP product bulletin :rolleyes:

you said it i tried various ways and means i guess this is the only flaw for the laptop same goes to the HP 550 and HP 540. Hope it will be solved soon... i'm digging for more information about the graphics

anyways

the voodoo HDA kext works perfectly on our laptops guys you might give it a try

yeah infact i've included it in the driver package and in the guide too... :unsure:

hi there

i have installed retail osx on my HP 550, its the core 2 duo 1.8 with all the other standard stuff. im running 10.5.7. Ive managed to get the sound, display and the lan working. Ive ready that i need to change my wifi card, im thinking either dell dw 1390 or the broadcom one everyones been suggesting. can someone tell me which one is the best?

and also, can someone help me get my brightness control working? im not too sure on how to install voodoo files and i really dont want to mess it all up.

please help

Hello!

I am new in this forum... and i have an HP550 with OSX.

I have install it with your tutorial, all is ok (USB, screen, soud...) but i dont have the utilitie (Airport) to select my wifi...

Do you have a driver for this bug??

Thx for your help!

hi there

i have installed retail osx on my HP 550, its the core 2 duo 1.8 with all the other standard stuff. im running 10.5.7. Ive managed to get the sound, display and the lan working. Ive ready that i need to change my wifi card, im thinking either dell dw 1390 or the broadcom one everyones been suggesting. can someone tell me which one is the best?

and also, can someone help me get my brightness control working? im not too sure on how to install voodoo files and i really dont want to mess it all up.

please help

I advice you to buy a broadcom since it's the most tested here. I own this one :( I mean a 4312.

Hello!

I am new in this forum... and i have an HP550 with OSX.

I have install it with your tutorial, all is ok (USB, screen, soud...) but i dont have the utilitie (Airport) to select my wifi...

Do you have a driver for this bug??

Thx for your help!

Maybe you didn't install correctly the wlan driver...What is the model number and brand?

I advice you to buy a broadcom since it's the most tested here. I own this one :D I mean a 4312.

Maybe you didn't install correctly the wlan driver...What is the model number and brand?

I think Broadcom BCM4312 but i'm not sure... how can i confirm it?

Hi,

don't try to install any other wifi card than the 4312 wich is present in some models of the hp 550 because it's the only card wich is allowed by the hp bios. (otherwise it will say error 104, wifi module unsupported, blablabla.., and the computer won't boot until you removed it)

To look for the model and number of the wifi card, use osx86tools, section "view pci device/vendor id".

Bye

this is the one im looking to buy Broadcom Mini PciE WiFi WLan Card BCM94312MCG. would it be compatable with my hp 550? i dont wanna mess around with my bios and whitelist. if someone can confirm this i will immediately pay for it since the auction finishes soon.

Edit: can someone help me get sleep working on retail 10.5.7? if i put it in sleep the screen goes off but the drive is still running and i need to force restart to get it back.

Hi,

don't try to install any other wifi card than the 4312 wich is present in some models of the hp 550 because it's the only card wich is allowed by the hp bios. (otherwise it will say error 104, wifi module unsupported, blablabla.., and the computer won't boot until you removed it)

To look for the model and number of the wifi card, use osx86tools, section "view pci device/vendor id".

Bye

Thx... I have an "Intel pro 4965"!!

I try to re-install all OS X with the good drivers!

Hi i can's resolve bug with my Intel Pro 4965 so i have install an external USB wireless...

But i have yet a bug when i update my system to 10.5.7, my driver graphique didnt work... :P

I have an GM965!

Someone have a driver for my??

Thx!!

@mardurhack

i have an idea to change the resolution settings, since we are using chameleon 2.0 i the sides of the screen doesn't extend right? and i tried various ways and means. in a nutshell we will just change the theme black and the middle will be the grey color of the logo and the spinning loading thing to turn grey. and the boot selection to black same background color as the missing resolution part is.

this will be the better solution for now, since I'm OC with the appearance of the OSX logo startup and boot up screens.

for the fan issue i was thinking of this way for now :)

Check The Link :)

and also i'm using this with the help of the USB at least i can manage placing the usb ports for power only

I was thinking about buying an external fan too. This can be a fix for a while, but we need to fix its internal fan too.

When A/C power is connected, the fan is working nice. Just shuts off when the laptop is on battery. So, we need to find what kext is causing that fan stop and fix it.

Any help?

Cheers!