[Guide] Hackintosh on HP 550 Notebook

mardurhack

221 posts in this topic

Welcome to HP 550 Official Hackint0sh Topic

This guide is divided into 2 parts: The first is about the new Snow Leopard OS (10.6) installation, the second is about the "old" Leopard (10.5)...Read the issues section before all! :glare:

At the end of 2nd part you can find a pool of useful kexts (thanks do dakku) to use with Snow or Leo. REMEMBER TO BACKUP EVERY EXTENSION BEFORE REPLACING IT WITH ONE OF THESE

--------------------------------------1st Part-------------------------------------------------

INSTALLING SNOW LEOPARD

(BY GPRINCE)

The following explains how I installed snow leopard on the hp550, using the original DVD and a leopard distribution.

I assume you read all the good guides on the subject.

ISSUES:

usb2 problem with the "unable to initialize UIM" error --> Waiting for a IOPCIFamily.kext for 10.6

booting with -f gives kernel panic

WHAT YOU NEED:

A snow leopard DVD (or disk image)

Chameleon 2 rc3 installer made by Dr. Hurt (found here)

A Leopard distribution dvd (kaliway, iAtkos, iPc,..)

Lots of patience because it's a pain.

PROCEDURE:

1. Backup your data

2. Install leopard

Once the leopard dvd booted, select the disk utility and make two GUID partitions:

one for leopard (the smallest possible, mine is 12 Go)

the other for snow leo

Let say they are respectively called "Leo" and "SnowLeo".

Install leopard on "Leo".

3. Install Snow Leopard

Once in Leopard and ready to install Snow leopard, use the terminal to set the permissions of the "SnowLeo" partition:

chown 0:0 /Volumes/Snow

Insert the dvd and click on the install icon, or mount the image, and open the installation package:

device:Volumes prince$ cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages/
 device:Packages prince$ open OSInstall.mpkg

Select the "SnowLeo" partition and launch the installation.

If it fails, erase "SnowLeo" (might be unnecessary) and reinstall.

Install Chameleon 2 rc3 on "SnowLeo", and then remove what is in the /SnowLeo/extra folder.

Place there the DSDT.aml compiled by blackch, some extensions needeed: fakesmc.kext made by Netkas, VoodooPS2.kext, VoodooHDA.kext.

As they will be loaded when you boot either Leo or SnowLeo, make sure you delete dsmos.kext, AppleDecrypt.kext, ApplePS2Controller.kext, AzaliaAudio.kext (in Leo) for Leopard to boot up correctly.

Remove the IOATAFamily.kext in /SnowLeo/S/L/E and replace it with the 10.5.8 one, you can find it here.

Take both AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext from /SnowLeo/S/L/E, change their device id to match 2A12 and replace them to their location.

(for right brightness, place the FB.kext version 1.5.18 instead)

4. Airport

Replace 4318 by 4315 in the plist. (hp550 users, assuming you have the broadcom card)

sudo
 nano
 /Volumes/SnowLeo/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/Contents/Info.plist

[CTRL O] [ENTER] to save

[CTRL X] to exit

You should now be able to boot in Leo.

If you use Chameleon 2 rc3, then the argument to boot in 32 bits is "arch=i386", if you use chameleon 2 rc2 with netkas boot file, then it's "-x32".

You will need to reinstall BSD package located in the dvd in the same folder as "OSInstall".

5. Troubleshooting

This is the pain part.

You need the useful kextutility software.

The extensions.mkext is no longer in /S/L/E but /S/L/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/ , so this is where you can delete it.

You can remove IOATAFamily.kext if you have some early kp to boot correctly, and then reinstall it.

Boot in both 32 and 64 bits to check if there is the same problem.

Boot in Leo and make some changes to SnowLeo.

UPDATES:

Any update should be straightforward.

You might need to repair the graphics, the wifi according to the updates.

I modified the patch for gmax4500 to reinsert our 2A12 device id in the kext after each update. It copy the stock kext on your desktop and modify the ones in /S/L/E .

You will find it here:

zip.gif patchX3100update.bash.zip ( 1.47K ) Number of downloads: 0

(don't forget to reinstall FB.kext version 1.5.18 for brigthness).

10.6.1: just the graphics to reinstall.

Good Luck!

GO TO THE NEXT POST FOR THE SECOND PART (Leopard)

-------------------------------------------2nd Part-----------------------------------------

MAC OSX LEOPARD 10.5.X INSTALLATION (BY MARDURHACK)

ISSUES (TO-SOLVE LIST - SORTED BY IMPORTANCE):

1. Intermittent fans with excessive heat! (Solved only on Intel Core 2 Duo while persistent on Celeron M CPUs) (to Dual Core users: DELETE AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext)
  2. Sleep doesn't work for some users (Celeron M generally)
  3. Volume regulation comes back to the default (mid-level) every reboot (VoodooHDA)

BEFORE YOU INSTALL PLEASE READ THE "LITTLE ISSUES" SECTION AT THE END OF THE POST TO KNOW WHAT COULD NOT WORK WITH YOUR SYSTEM (AND EVENTUALLY DECIDE TO NOT INSTALL) :rolleyes:

HP 550 is a cheap and versatile Notebook of Hewlett-Packard Businness Channel. It mounts cheap but efficient components (like Celeron M530/550 and Dual Core T5670) and it provides a very intresting 2years warranty. It comes with FreeDos Operating System (installed on ROM) so you don't have to pay any Windows License! wink_anim.gif But the most beautiful news is that is 100% compatible with Hackintosh! wink_anim.gif Enjoy!

FIRST OF ALL DOWNLOAD THIS PACKAGE:

This is an updated version of previous DriverPackage (16 Jun 2009). It contains a lot of optional kexts. You don't necessary have to use them but they could be tested or simply used if previous doesn't work.

I've collected my informations and packages by surfing the web (Google) and from Insanely Mac forum, obiouvsly...

I'm not responsable of ANYTHING and you should take care of what you do and what you "don't do" making regular backups (I used Carbon Copy Cloner - Free and easy2use Google for it)

HP 550 WORKING CONFIGURATION:

-CHIPSET: Intel ICH8M AHCI (Just one package for all ICHs exists)

-CPU: Intel Celeron M530 @ 1.73 Ghz with 2MB L2 Cache

-OPTICAL DRIVE: Optiarc DVD RW AD-7561A

-AUDIO: SoundMax AD/ADI 1981 with HD - Device ID 0x103C3618 - Audio ID 12

-GRAPHIC: Intel GMA X3100 - Device ID 0x2a12 (Be sure to have this Device ID!)

-HARD DISK: SATA Model: ST9120817AS - Revision: 3.AHC - Serial Number: 5RE150VV (Don't know brand but is should do not matter)

-WIFI: Broadcom BCM4312

-ETHERNET: Intel 82566MM 10/100

-TRACKPAD: PS/2 Synaptic Touchpad (Don't know version but it doesn't matter wink_anim.gif )

-CARD READER: Should work according to what someone said in this topic.

Now let's start the guide!

BASIC INSTALLATION

Find and download "iPC 10.5.6 OSX Leopard Final" distro and burn it on a Single Layer DVD

Boot from it and let it load until configuration window appears

Open Disk Utility (Upper bar---> Utility ----> Disk Utility) and get a partition table useful to install Leopard (AT LEAST ONE PARTITION OF 12 GB OR MORE HAS TO BE FORMATTED IN MacOS Extended (Journaled) / HFS+)

If you want to dual boot with Windows XP you must edit partition table before (with GParted is OK - Google for it) following this procedure:

1. 1 Install Windows XP on a NTFS dedicated partition

2. 2 With a Partition Editor resize NTFS partition and create another PRIMARY partition (It's very important to be primary! Not Extended/Logical)

3. 3 Then format this new partition by selecting FAT32 (or simply FAT) to let MacOS recognize it during installation

4. 4 All done! You'll be able to see this new partition and format it into MacOS Extended (Journaled) / HFS+

5. 5 TIP: When you install iPC its bootloader, darwin/EFI, will automatically see Windows Partition and you'll be able to select what to boot during countdown!

Once you have created a MacOS compatible partition you just have to proceed to installation. Click continue and select the partition where to install Leopard (you should see only one disk) then STOP! You know, if we install only the basic Operating System we'll have a lot of Kernel Panics...In other words our system won't boot! Or by the way it won't boot properly...

How to overcome this annoying defect? Simply by selecting the appropriate packages to install clicking on the button CUSTOMIZE.

Select ONLY these packages and nothing else or your system will get in troubles! tongue.gif

1. 1 iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Base System (already checked)

2. 2 Any Language Translation (I selected Italian because I'm...Italian!)

3. 3 Expand iPC OSx86 Intel AMD SSE2 SSE3 and select, after expanding each category, the following packages:

4. 4 Driver -> Chipset Drivers -> Intel ICHx SATA Drivers (to better SATA performances)
    (Not necessary if you update to 10.5.7! It's included!)

5. 5 Driver -> Ethernet -> Intel 82566 MM/DC (Try the default one, if it doesn't work use other method here described)

6. 6 Wireless -> Broadcom (Airport will recognize correctly our BCM4312, works also with WPA2)

7. 7 PowerManagement -> PowerManagement Package (to recognize battery duration)

8. 8 Fixes and Patches -> PS/2 Device Support -> PS/2 Keyboard fix (also for touchpad basic recognition to avoid kernel panic)

9. 9 Applications -> Kext Helper 7 (MUST INSTALL), OSx Tools (MUST INSTALL), EFI Studio, AppleJack, Perian, Pacifist (shareware), NTFS 3-G (MacFuse) (if you want to read/write NTFS partitions like Windows XP) and whatever you need/wannatry

VERY IMPORTANT: DO NOT SELECT KERNELS OR OTHER DRIVERS/PACKAGES NOT INCLUDED IN THIS GUIDE (AT LEAST IF YOU'RE NOT SURE OF WHAT YOU'RE DOING!)

Then let the installation begin and...end! It should install all in not more than 15-20 minutes. Then restart and let's proceed to Basic configuration: You'll have to insert some informations, I suggest you to continue without giving any information to Apple until Leopard asks for username and password. Then configure your wireless network (if DHCP is enabled or it won't connect) or leave it for later and continue until main desktop (with Dock and aurora background) is shown.

PS: Don't install or select any optional software like MobileME if you don't need it.

Now let's install other peripheral devices:

PERIPHERALS INSTALLATION

GRAPHIC AND SOUND:

Download the Driver Package attached to this post (DriverPackage_HP550.zip) and do the following...

1. Then unzip the Driver Package and open "Kext Helper v7" from Go -> Applications

2. Drag and Drop all the Kexts you find in Graphic/
    10.5.7/Modded
    (not the Backup one) and Sound directories, insert your password and cilck "EASY INSTALL". If a message like "Installation seems to be fine. Cross fingers etc etc." is shown up you can rebot and you should have installed all correctly.

Little Sound issue: Volume returns to mid-level every reboot (PCM or Master). You have to increase it from Sound preferences.

ETHERNET (Only if the default driver doesn't work. You can see that if in AirPort only Wireless card is recognized)

Just Drag and Drop the Kext you find in Ethernet Folder inside DriverPackage to the Kext Helper window and even without rebooting it's perfectly recognized as a new Network device wink_anim.gif (if not...well..Reboot!)

TRACKPAD (with sidescroll, twofingers scroll, twofingers tap, tap, double tap and circular scrolling)

(Thanks to user cogombo for reporting -

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=#entry1167106)

(Thanks to user lebidou from voodooprojects.org for configuration fix)

(Thanks to sam2x from voodooprojects.org for this little-simple how to)

Open terminal and type these instructions

cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

rm -Rf AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

cd /System/Library/Extensions

rm -Rf ApplePS2Controller.kext

rm -Rf ApplePS2Controller.kext.orig (if it exists, if not go ahead)

Then...

1. 1 Open OSX86Tools (Go -> Applications)

2. 2 Select Repair Permissions, Set Extensions permissions, Clear Extensions Cache and click "Run Selected Tasks"

3. 3 Install VoodooPS2Controller-0.98-installer.pkg (DriverPackage -> Trackpad)

4. 4 Reboot...

To enable clicking and scrolling it's enough to go to Apple -> System Preferences -> Trackpad and check "Use two fingers to scroll" (even for side scroll), "Allow Horizontal Scrolling", "Clicking"/"Dragging", "Tap trackpad with two fingers for secondary click" (Optional) and "Ignore accidental trackpad input".

Finally you have to copy (typing password if required) the file "org.voodoo.trackpad.configurationloader.plist", found in Trackpad folder, to /Library/LaunchAgents/ directory by terminal or Finder! wink_anim.gif Then repair its permissions or it won't be recognized because of a "dubious ownership" (you can see it from Console messages)

sudo cp FOLDER/DriverPackage_HP550/Trackpad/org.voodoo.trackpad.configurationloader.plist /Library/LaunchAgents/

sudo chown root:wheel /Library/LaunchAgents/org.voodoo.trackpad.configurationloader.plist

sudo chmod 755 /Library/LaunchAgents/org.voodoo.trackpad.configurationloader.plist

This is made to avoid the loss of personal settings like sensibility, 2fingers scroll etc.

This worked on my Synaptic touchpad but it should work on every Synaptic, APLS or Sentelic touchpad...Try and give feedback wink_anim.gif

Now your Hackint0sh it's ready to use!

Enjoy and give feedback!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TIPS AND TRICKS (UPDATING):

Battery Icon (VoodooBattery.kext)

Go to www.superhai.com (thanks to superhai) and download VoodooBattery.kext. Then copy it to your Extension's folder. That's it.

IF YOU WANT TO UPGRADE TO 10.5.7 YOU JUST HAVE TO REINSTALL ALL DRIVER KEXTS! :P EVERYTHING ELSE WILL WORK AS FINE AS PREVIOUS VERSION ;) TESTED!

Graphic Problems (Flash, Quartz, OpenGL):

BEFORE READING TRY TO DISABLE QUARTZ AND TEST. IF THIS DOESN'T WORK WELL THEN PROCEED.

If you experience some graphic problems please update to 10.5.7 and before reinstalling other kexts (sound, ethernet etc.) read here:

Copy all AppleIntelGMAX3100* kexts you find in /System/Library/Extensions to a Backup folder (in my case on the Desktop):

mkdir /Users/USERNAME (yours...)/Desktop/Backup_Intel

sudo copy -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100* /Users/USERNAME/Desktop/Backup_Intel

Then remove all the previous original kexts

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100*

Ok, now copy the Backup folder (as "Backup 2" or whatever you want) and since now ACT ONLY IN THIS FOLDER! DON'T TOUCH THE BACKUP_INTEL FOLDER!

Follow these instructions:

. In the AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext there are respectively 2 binary files in MacOS directory. Edit them with a hex-editor (I used 0xED - free). Find and replace ALL hex digits like this:

Find: 8680022a

Replace
ALL
with: 8680122a (always talking about VID 2a12 and NOT 2a02! In this last case default ones should work correctly w/o modding)

. Edit the Info.plist in AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext package. Find the following line:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
		   <string>0x2A028086</string>

and replace with:

<string>0x2A128086</string>

It's enough that you write 0x2A
28086 instead of 0x2A
;)
or copy and paste...same thing...

Then install modded kexts with Kext Helper v7 or osxtools and reboot ;) Surprise!! Flash 10 is already installed in 10.5.7 update and browser is VERY SMOOTH WITH ANY KIND OF MULTIMEDIA CONTENT

SCREEN-LIGHT KEYSTROKES:

GPRINCE METHOD: (Thanks to GPrince)

Hi,

I get the right brightness control on hp 550 by:

using the DSDT.aml (put it into your root directory: / ) from BlackCH

using the appleintelgmaX3100FB.kext version 1.5.18

using the efi strings found in osx86tools (gma950 card) (In the section of EFI strings add your video card to the list, to see how please read the osx86tools documentation)

using the "function flip" (google for it) prefpane (found on the forum) to replace F1 and F2 as the functionkeys to dimm the screen (but any other else should be fine)

Note: if I use this dsdt with the current X3100FB.kext I have the half-dimmed screen problem.

Attached File: AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext_v1.5.18_devID2A12.zip

Keyboard Layout and Special Chararacters

Voodoo Package also provides a full win-like keyboard layout so it's possible to type pipe operator ( | ) by pushing the default button wink_anim.gif To change Control, Command (Apple), and Option keys it's enough to go to System Preferences -> Keyboard and Mouse -> Modifier Keys and choose your best configuration! wink_anim.gif Mine is:

Caps Lock -> Caps Lock

Control -> Command

Option -> Control

Command -> Option

that is more similar to default Win Layout. Infact you can almost use the same shortcuts: Contol+C to copy, Control+V to paste and Control+Tab to change task... wink_anim.gif That's all!

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!

----------------------------------------------------

USEFUL KEXTS POOL:

Snow leopard

Leopard 10.5.8 retail kexts

Good Guide!!

Has anyone got both cores working on a HP550 with an intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T5670?

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF...98-3921556.html

Thanks! Unfortunately I have the solo version so I can't help you... ;) But, as always, if someone has tried and got a solution...Please post here! ;)

Hope I'll able to find something! ;) Anyway I want to update the guide with the correct Core Duo version (I wrote T5500 :P ) and a little "To-Do (Issues)" section! ;)

I tried this method, but I can't get my HP 550 to sleep. Also, the buttons for controlling screen backlight doesnt work (screen is at high brightness allways) which is very annoying.

Any light on this?

Cheers!

I tried this method, but I can't get my HP 550 to sleep. Also, the buttons for controlling screen backlight doesnt work (screen is at high brightness allways) which is very annoying.

Any light on this?

Cheers!

Mmm...I've read somewhere that Sleep feature works if you set "Automatically reboot after power failure (or something like this)" in Energy preferencePane...I've tried but nothing...Only the screen gets black, everything else remains active... ;) Someone should try to give a look to the energy saving plist and prefPane...I'm sorry but I have High-School exams in 20 days, I've really no time! :wacko:

Gosh! :help: I've never used (even in Windows) the screen-light shortcuts because I don't need them...I really don't know ho to solve it, adding to "issues" section :) Thanks!

Any light on this?

Cheers!

I have a HP530 (very similar to HP550) and had the same sleep problem. I solved this by:

Updating to 10.5.6 or 10.5.7 (both work)

Installing Clamshelldisplay.kext

Patching my DSDT to include hpet and rtc fixes. (Do this before removing disablers!!)

Using vanilla ApplePowerManagement..kext (remove all PM disablers)

Using vanilla IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext

Installing voodoobattery.kext (following installation instructions exactly).

After i did this my HP530 will now sleep and wake up.

Although I still only have one core working (CPUS=1)

What processor do you have in your HP550? Do you have both cores working if it's a C2D (Core2Duo)?

Hope this helps.

--

AB

Hi,

I get the right brightness control on hp 550 by:

using the dsdt.aml from BlackCH

using the appleintelgmaX3100FB.kext version 1.5.18 combined to the efi strings found in osx86tools (gma950 card)

using the function flip prefpane (found on the forum) to replace F1 and F2 as the functionkeys to dimm the screen.

note: if I use this dsdt with the current X3100FB.kext I have the half-dimmed screen pb.

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext_v1.5.18_devID2A12.zip

Thanks for that file gprince!!

Finally I think I put the right FB kext. The only problem is I didnt install flip preference panel before I booted up with 1.5.18 kext so now I have screen completly dimmed. ;)

I can try to boot up in safe mode and install flip there. Which are the exact mapings I should use inside flip prefpanel?

Cheers!

Well, the the 3rd and fourth keys on the top right side of the keyboard also control the brightness for me.

And so does the fn-End combo. So no need to boot in safe mode.

Attached is what I use in the function flip prefpane. It may not be ideal but now the F1 F2 control the brightness (without holding Fn), the F12 F11 the volume, F10 the mute mode, and F7, F8, F9 the quictime or itunes control.

functionflip.tiff

Great, gprince, really appreciate your help.

Now brightness is working nice. The problem is that DSDT is giving me bad graphics performance when I unplug the power adapter and use the battery power. Which version of the other GMAX3100.kext drivers are you using?

I'm currently with 1.5.44 with your 1.5.18 FB kext

Working fine now!! I'm trying to add Graphics Mode to com.apple.Boot.plist, but If I set the 1280x800, it keeps showing the apple boot logo at 1024.

Also found a trick, if you are using Voodoo PS2, the brightness keys are already mapped to pause key (third from top right), so no need to install any preference panel!

Cheers!

... ...

... ...

Thanks to both of you ;) I'll add these tricks to the guide soon! GPrince could you explain how to use your files? Unfortunately I'll be on windows for a while... ;) (Need flash player performance for a school test) so I can't even test them... Thanks in advance! ;)

Are you guys having issues with integrated audio & VoodooHDA.kext? My sound skips like the buffer is too low. If I set output freq to 22050hz, it fixes a little, but still bad sound.

I've tried 0.2.1 and 0.2.2 beta with same results.

Is there any other method to have audio on this laptop without VoodooHDA?

Are you guys having issues with integrated audio & VoodooHDA.kext? My sound skips like the buffer is too low. If I set output freq to 22050hz, it fixes a little, but still bad sound.

I've tried 0.2.1 and 0.2.2 beta with same results.

Is there any other method to have audio on this laptop without VoodooHDA?

Really I haven't got any problem with the Package's drivers (vodoo + hda enabler)...Did you use them?

Please could you tell me your flash-based contents performances? I'm not able to watch any youtubeHD video with Mac while they are so smooth (even in Full screen!) with Windows! :unsure: Why??

Yes, I was using both HDAEnabler + VoodooHDA, but since they are both the same thing (injectors), there is no need to have them both. Just deleted HDAEnabler. Audio device keep being detected as before, but still have audio skipping issues.

I'm not using VoodooPower at the moment, just VoodooBattery.kext

I will try youtube when I'm back home and give you feedback.

Cheers!

Thanks Gidi ;) "Unfortunately" I don't get your problem using both of them so I don't know how to help you at all... :( What do you mean by saying "injectors"? Could you explain?

PS: You could try a fresh install of iPC and use both Voodoo and HDA...without editing anything..If it works then you've modified something wrong...Otherwise analyze your soundcard's VID and PID and I'll compare them with mines... ;)

For graphic problems I'll try to modify with a Hex Editor the x3100's kexts...Hope to not burn my display! XD Let me know your impressions ;)

Yes, I was using both HDAEnabler + VoodooHDA, but since they are both the same thing (injectors), there is no need to have them both. Just deleted HDAEnabler. Audio device keep being detected as before, but still have audio skipping issues.

I'm not using VoodooPower at the moment, just VoodooBattery.kext

I will try youtube when I'm back home and give you feedback.

Cheers!

Alright, I think I found the origins of my audio skipping and general jerky mouse problems. It should be some incompatibility in the power management of the DSDT file. Sound problems happen when I disconnect power adapter and use laptop's battery.

If I delete the DSDT.aml file, sound and system is alright working with battery, also with power adapter (but I can't control brightness).

I'm not using any VoodooPower.kext, and the OS is installed clean today ;)

Alright, I think I found the origins of my audio skipping and general jerky mouse problems. It should be some incompatibility in the power management of the DSDT file. Sound problems happen when I disconnect power adapter and use laptop's battery.

If I delete the DSDT.aml file, sound and system is alright working with battery, also with power adapter (but I can't control brightness).

I'm not using any VoodooPower.kext, and the OS is installed clean today ;)

BIIIGGG UPDATEEE!! :)

BEFORE YOU READ -- OFFICIAL! DO NOT ACTIVATE QUARTZ IF YOU DON'T STRICTLY NEED IT! (opengl will work anyway :) maybe better!) - TESTED! EVERYTHING IS SMOOTHER WITHOUT IT ENABLED :P

GRAPHIC PROBLEMS: SOLVED! EVERYTHING WORKS LIKE A CHARM! (except for fu** youtube videos! Megavideo is very smooth instead!! Normal or Full! :P I don't understand...) with 10.5.7 modded (thanks to cele_82 hex modding) and Flash 10...Better: fresh install, update to 10.5.7, then mod and install graphic kexts and reinstall all other kexts :P Here's a little guide to modding:

1. In the AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext there are respectively 2 binary files in MacOS directory. Edit them with a hex-editor. Find and replace ALL hex digits like this:

Find: 8680022a

Replace with: 8680122a (always talking about VID 2a12 and NOT 2a02! In this last case default ones should work correctly w/o modding)

2. Edit the Info.plist in AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext package. Find the following line:

<string>0x2A028086</string>

and replace with:

<string>0x2A128086</string>

It's enough that you write 0x2A128086 instead of 0x2A028086 ;) or copy and paste...same thing...

Then install modded kexts (BACKUP FIRST THE OLDERS!) with Kext Helper v7 or osxtools and reboot ;) Surprise!! Flash 10 is already installed in 10.5.7 update and browser is VERY SMOOTH WITH ANY KIND OF MULTIMEDIA CONTENT! Even in scrolling! BUT FOR THOSE CRAPPY YOUTUBE VIDEOS! Now I'm beginning to think that youtube has a problem...with Mac I mean! :P FLV vs QT maybe! XD

@Gidi: Strange! Today, after updated, I got successfully working brightness default keys! Later I substituted graphic kexts and the feature disappears....Or, maybe, the update installed another powermanagement package! I'll try to reinstall the older one...10.5.6 and try...

About audio: I think there's some kind of hardware problem at this point...It's impossible that we have the same notebook with same hardware, included soundcard, and we have different problems! Have you followed the guide or your installation is a previous one? Are you sure it's iPC 10.5.6? Thanks for eventually feedbacks ;)

Now I have another clean installation of 10.5.6. Can you tell me the exact procedure you followed? Just update to 10.5.7, install the GFX kext from your package and put DSDT.aml to / ?

Cheers!

Now I have another clean installation of 10.5.6. Can you tell me the exact procedure you followed? Just update to 10.5.7, install the GFX kext from your package and put DSDT.aml to / ?

Cheers!

Just updated to 10.5.7 and modded 10.5.7 IntelGMAX3100 kexts (as is written in my previous post). And DISABLE QUARTZ! By the way I didn't touch any DSDT....what is it?

As Gprince suggested:

"I get the right brightness control on hp 550 by:

using the dsdt.aml from BlackCH"

And when I put that DSDT.aml file into / , the audio becomes skippy and system performance decreases a lot when using battery instead of power adapter.

Cheers!

As Gprince suggested:

"I get the right brightness control on hp 550 by:

using the dsdt.aml from BlackCH"

And when I put that DSDT.aml file into / , the audio becomes skippy and system performance decreases a lot when using battery instead of power adapter.

Cheers!

Let me understand...If you use DSDT you're able to use keystrokes but performance are slower aren't they??

Yes, that's it, If I use the DSDT, system goes right to sleep, and lets me change screen brightness with pause keys, but low performance when computer is using battery power.

Without the DSDT inside / , the computer is fine with battery power, but can't control screen brightness or put it to S3 sleep.

It's a clean 10.5.6 install, and I'm not using any VoodooBattery or VoodooPower at the moment (but I tried to use them in another installs with same issues)

Cheers!