[Guide] Hackintosh on HP 550 Notebook

mardurhack

221 posts in this topic

Very nice mardurhack. I hope you will help making the guide better. I have HP 6720s which is very similar with HP 55o (Dual core 1.73 Ghz). Looking forward for gprince post...

Yep :D Sure I will! But as I said I own a Celeron version of HP 550 :) That is not compatible with ACPI kext based on Core 2 Duo CPUs...So until I don't replace the CPU I can't do so much...But any snow leo guide will be appreciated and put into the first post :) But it should be well written following my guide's format (highlits of shell commands, URLs etc.) (just to don't mess up the mind of someone who reads both the guides! XD)

INSTALLING SNOW LEOPARD

The following explains how I installed snow leopard on the hp550, using the original DVD and a leopard distribution.

I assume you read all the good guides on the subject.

ISSUES:

usb2 problem with the "unable to initialize UIM" error --> Waiting for a IOPCIFamily.kext for 10.6

booting with -f gives kernel panic

WHAT YOU NEED:

• A snow leopard DVD (or disk image)
  • Chameleon 2 rc3 installer made by Dr. Hurt (found here)
  • A Leopard distribution dvd (kaliway, iAtkos, iPc,..)
  • Lots of patience because it's a pain.

PROCEDURE:

1. Backup your data
  2. Install leopard
    Once the leopard dvd booted, select the disk utility and make two GUID partitions:
    one for leopard (the smallest possible, mine is 12 Go)
    the other for snow leo
    Let say they are respectively called "Leo" and "SnowLeo".

Install leopard on "Leo".

3. Install snow leopard
    Once in Leopard and ready to install Snow leopard, use the terminal to set the permissions of the "SnowLeo" partition:
    chown 0:0 /Volumes/Snow

Insert the dvd and click on the install icon, or mount the image, and open the installation package:

device:Volumes prince$ cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages/
    device:Packages prince$ open OSInstall.mpkg 

Select the "SnowLeo" partition and launch the installation.
    If it fails, erase "SnowLeo" (might be unnecessary) and reinstall.

Install Chameleon 2 rc3 on "SnowLeo", and then remove what is in the /SnowLeo/extra folder.
    Place there the DSDT.aml compiled by blackch, some extensions needeed: fakesmc.kext made by Netkas, VoodooPS2.kext, VoodooHDA.kext.
    As they will be loaded when you boot either Leo or SnowLeo, make sure you delete dsmos.kext, AppleDecrypt.kext, ApplePS2Controller.kext, AzaliaAudio.kext (in Leo) for Leopard to boot up correctly.

Remove the IOATAFamily.kext in /SnowLeo/S/L/E and replace it with the 10.5.8 one, you can find it here.

Take both AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext from /SnowLeo/S/L/E, change their device id to match 2A12 and replace them to their location.
    (for right brightness, place the FB.kext version 1.5.18 instead)

Airport
    Replace 4318 by 4315 in the plist. (hp550 users, assuming you have the broadcom card)

sudo nano /Volumes/SnowLeo/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/Contents/Info.plist

[CTRL O] [ENTER] to save
    [CTRL X] to exit

You should now be able to boot in Leo.
    If you use Chameleon 2 rc3, then the argument to boot in 32 bits is "arch=i386", if you use chameleon 2 rc2 with netkas boot file, then it's "-x32".

You will need to reinstall BSD package located in the dvd in the same folder as "OSInstall".

4. TroubleShooting
    This is the pain part.
    You need the useful kextutility software.

The extensions.mkext is no longer in /S/L/E but /S/L/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/ , so this is where you can delete it.

You can remove IOATAFamily.kext if you have some early kp to boot correctly, and then reinstall it.

Boot in both 32 and 64 bits to check if there is the same problem.

Boot in Leo and make some changes to SnowLeo.

UPDATES:

Any update should be straightforward.

You might need to repair the graphics, the wifi according to the updates.

I modified the patch for gmax4500 to reinsert our 2A12 device id in the kext after each update. It copy the stock kext on your desktop and modify the ones in /S/L/E .

You will find it attached.patchX3100update.bash.zip

(don't forget to reinstall FB.kext version 1.5.18 for brigthness).

10.6.1: just the graphics to reinstall.

Good Luck

@mardurhack

Thank you for putting gprince's tutorial on the first page of the post, but, I think, that you must explain that tutorial was written by gprince, sorry if it's mentioned and I didn't noticed.

@gprince

Thank you again and few questions:

Did you try to instal SL with boot CD from the other forums (black OSX or other)

or using Automator, because I think that problems with permission came from installing directly from DVD (it was mentioned on some forum)

@mardurhack

The guide wil look more precise if you attach the rest of the mentioned files ( dsdt, woodops2...)

@mardurhack

Thank you for putting gprince's tutorial on the first page of the post, but, I think, that you must explain that tutorial was written by gprince, sorry if it's mentioned and I didn't noticed.

@gprince

Thank you again and few questions:

Did you try to instal SL with boot CD from the other forums (black OSX or other)

or using Automator, because I think that problems with permission came from installing directly from DVD (it was mentioned on some forum)

@mardurhack

The guide wil look more precise if you attach the rest of the mentioned files ( dsdt, woodops2...)

Hoooly shhhh.......Thanks! I completely forgot to write that it's a gprince's guide! (sorry gprince!) But I don't understand what you mean when talk about attached files...I thought they were well linked...Maybe links have been corrupted during the copy and paste...Anyway I'll take a look to them :)

UPDATE: The guide is now well formatted and, I suppose, complete! :P gprince let me know if you want to make any modify :P

REQUEST: I've upgraded BIOS since I'm not able to find anyone who can sell me an Intel Core 2 Duo for notebooks here in Italy! :) I'll try the last time to install Leopard...But I'm yet wondering if it's possible to solve the "super funny fan" problem! I can't stand to have EVERYTHING working like a charm but this f****n' fan!! Thanks! :P

first of all big thanks to gprince for the snow leo guide, ive managed to get mine up and running with a few problems, the obvious usb kext. apart from that i cant seem to enable Quartz on my display, ive tried to install the kexts numerous times, and also, for some reason it doesnt pick up my hp battery, which means it dont display the battery meter at all.

any ideas?

thanks

Edit: i noticed that im having restart and shutdown problems too

@dakku

What's wrong with your graphics, do you have a black(or blue) screen or just no kext loaded at all?

For the battery I use voodooBaterry.kext, but work only in /S/L/E instead of /E/E.

Restart doesn't work for me, and shutdown ok but if I let it some time. This will be solved once the usb2 will be ok.

@dakku

What's wrong with your graphics, do you have a black(or blue) screen or just no kext loaded at all?

For the battery I use voodooBaterry.kext, but work only in /S/L/E instead of /E/E.

Restart doesn't work for me, and shutdown ok but if I let it some time. This will be solved once the usb2 will be ok.

at first i was getting full rez but no QE, after repeated reinstalling the kexts i get stuck at the blue screen, i can boot via -x or -f but no QE.

i will give voodooBattery a try, thanks

Edit: VoodooBattery worked just fine :) thanks, i managed to fix restart and shutdown with VoodooPower and SleepEnabler.

found an interesting topic http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t162431.html

anyone wanna try it? apparently 1680 res on x3100 on laptop display, a few people got it working, i dont want to try it since i dont have a backup of my install and x3100 is already causing problems for me in snow leo.

ive got the graphics working now but still no QE, are you using the same kexts for leo? all of them i mean, the bundles and that too.

No I just replaced the FB.kext, and modified the ids in the other kext, and let the bundles untouched.

@smilenkovski, thanks for the link, i translated it thru google translate but didnt find anything interesting, apparently one of them has managed to get snow leo working on his laptop

@gprince, do u mind posting your graphics kexts? since i replaced mine from leo i dont have the original ones anymore, could u post everything you used to get ur gfx working?

EDIT: nevermind, i reinstalled and got it working, thanks a lot ive got everything working in 32 bit besides usb.

After been using Snow leo for a couple of hours now, its been working flawlessly, sleep works and everything else works fine, the only issue i found is that 2 of my usb ports are not working, thats all! and i guess its coz of the one kext that fails to load, lets hope someone fixes that!

Hi,

There is a 10.6 iopcifamily created by slice available, so I tried it but didn't solve the usb2.

Therefore I recompiled the DSDT from the dsl file given by blackch with the option -newHPET, and now usb2 are working ok from now.

Note: I didn't try the new DSDT.aml with original iopcifamily, so I don't know whether it would work or not.

So install the iopcifamily, and recompile the DSDT.aml with "./DSDT\ Patcher dsdt_new_USB_ET_GFX_PRBT.dsl -newHPET".

Sure, but if you want to do it: download the dsdt patcher from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...pic=133683%2522

take the dsdt_new_USB_ET_GFX_PRBT.dsl file from the 6720s_DSDT_Fixed folder where you downloaded the DSDT.aml from Blackch and place it in the DSDT_Patcher1 folder.

open the terminal and navigate to this folder and type "./DSDT\ Patcher dsdt_new_USB_ET_GFX_PRBT.dsl -newHPET".

rename the dsdt.aml file generated to DSDT.aml and place it instead of the other.

DSDT.aml.zip

I can confirm that usb does NOT work with the original iopcifamily kext. however it did work with the kext by slice, thanks a lot. If only someone would port the x3100 gfx to work in 64bit. thats the only thing missing, not to mention the shut down and restart fix.

Guys I know I could be annoying...But I'm desperately trying to get LEOPARD working correctly! :rolleyes: I've already explained you that my fan is not working properly...I tried almost everything: Voodoopower, GenericCPUPowerManagement, Severals ACPIPlatform kexts taken from this forum, Patched DSDTs and SMBioses....But nothing! :blink:

I didn't solve anything! :( Sometimes fan speeds up without reason, sometimes it doesn't spin at all! I'm very desperate because this is the only thing that takes me away from getting a perfect Hackintosh!

I can't believe that ANYONE hasn't solved this problem...I've seen many people in the Italian forum with my same CPU and PC model (with a beautiful green "working" in their signatures) and they didn't even reply to my PMs! Unfortunately here you all have Intel Core 2 Duo CPUs that are capable of speedstep while mine is not... But please if you have ANY ideas, please, tell me! I'd be thankful to you!

OH MY HOLY GOD! I FINALLY SOLVED IT! I GOT FAN WORKING ALMOST BETTER THAN WINDOWS (Ok I'm lying...)... I'd really like to say THANK YOU to the owner of "my_kexts.zip" files where I found a GREAT AppleACPIPlatform (v. 1.1.0)! It solved EVERYTHING! Now the temperature is almost the same as in windows (just 2-3°C more). And without any "voodoo-dool_power" or something like this...Just a F***N' Apple official Kext! I can't believe it! Now let me enjoy my complete hackbook! ;) I'll add it to the guide very soon after I will test it for a while ;)

Unfortunately I must report a failure. I can't boot in SL. Immediate KP. I followed guide step by step and... Is there any chance that is because I use HP 6720s instead HP 550? I compared two comp. and its seems to me that those are same laptops with slightly case differences.