[Guide] Hackintosh on HP 550 Notebook

mardurhack

221 posts in this topic

Hi

mardurhack, did you try the kext AppleACPIThermal which was in the Plugins of AppleACPIPlatform for the fan regulation? For the battery to be recognised I use ACPIBattery.kext from Superhai, but I think now it's called voodooBattery.

Hi! What do you mean? The package is already included in ACPIPlatform. Do I have to extract and copy it (from the ACPIPlatform.kext/Content/Plugins) in /System/Library/Extensions as a unique kext? Otherwise could you post here your ACPIPlatform.kext? Thanks in advance! ;)

For the battery I used ACPIBattery by NanChuan and it worked very well. Anyway I'll try also the one by superhai. What about your fan? It's crazy like mine?? :P

@Ryan: You SHOULD delete the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement because it causes only "defects" in the power management. Or you should use Disabler.kext ;) It's written in the guide.

TO ALL: MAYBE I'VE FORGOTTEN TO INCLUDE THE TRACKPAD PACKAGE BY VOODOO PROJECTS! ;) IF YOU DON'T FIND IT PLEASE TELL ME AND I'LL POST A DIRECT LINK TO IT...

Ok,

I deleted it ages ago, and tried to load it yesterday, the fans blowed, but the computer didn't go to sleep.

So this is maybe what is prevent sleep to work for you.

What kext are you talking about? Thermal or IntelCPUPowerManagement? Thanks :)

OFFTOPIC: I see you're francais! How much there for an iPhone? :P

Hey people how do you get your wifi to work? I had intel 3965 which didn't work, tried to replace by broadcom 4321 but bios wont boot up. It says 104 error. Did you manage this to work?

Cheers!

Hi,

I tried to disable wlan inside BIOS devices and it doesn't show the 104 error, but in this way the wlan card doesn't work because is disabled.

When I enable again the wlan, the 104 error came again. I also tried to boot the laptop without the card and connect it after bios check before OSX boot, but the system hangs if I connect it when the laptop is powered on.

What's your bios rev. and bios date?

Cheers!

Ciao,

scusa se scrivo in italiano qua, ma l'altro post in italiano è sparito da un po' di tempo, ho aspettato qualche gg poi...

vorrei chiedere se c'è il modo per risolvere il problema usb: vanno 2 volte su 10...

ho seguito alla lettera le indicazioni della guida (in italiano), fatta eccezione per il trackpad (che mi va bene così). Inoltre se può essere utile ho aggiornato tutto alla 10.5.7 ed il problema usb permane (diverse installazioni-tentativi fa ho anche provato anche con usb fix 1.3)

grazie!

Oh ok! :P I understand...But, even if you didn't activate any powermanagement kext, your fan goes "intermittent" does it? :( I've talked to another user who has our same configuration (HP 6720s) and he experiences the same problem but he doesn't care about it! XD Instead I can't stand this loud noise! :P Am I alone?? Thanks for the fast reply! ;)

Hmm, my Laptop runs now for two hours. It plays music with itunes in the background and surfing the web.

The fan is quite so far. The fan starts only if i use cpu od gpu intensive apps. Then it is really loud for a few seconds.

So i can live with it.

I have installed iPC 15.5.6 with the 10.5.7 upgrade also on my desktop. This is a much faster machine (core2Duo, nvidia9800gt). So i use cpu/gpu intensive apps on the desktop only.

Ciao,

scusa se scrivo in italiano qua, ma l'altro post in italiano è sparito da un po' di tempo, ho aspettato qualche gg poi...

vorrei chiedere se c'è il modo per risolvere il problema usb: vanno 2 volte su 10...

ho seguito alla lettera le indicazioni della guida (in italiano), fatta eccezione per il trackpad (che mi va bene così). Inoltre se può essere utile ho aggiornato tutto alla 10.5.7 ed il problema usb permane (diverse installazioni-tentativi fa ho anche provato anche con usb fix 1.3)

grazie!

Si tranquillo ;) Purtroppo l'hanno eliminato per chissà quale motivo! Comunque per le USB non so davvero che dirti...A me sono andate al primo colpo da sempre...Piuttosto rifai tutta la procedura seguendo questa guida (anche se in inglese dovrebbe essere comprensibile) e fammi sapere ;)

Hmm, my Laptop runs now for two hours. It plays music with itunes in the background and surfing the web.

The fan is quite so far. The fan starts only if i use cpu od gpu intensive apps. Then it is really loud for a few seconds.

So i can live with it.

I have installed iPC 15.5.6 with the 10.5.7 upgrade also on my desktop. This is a much faster machine (core2Duo, nvidia9800gt). So i use cpu/gpu intensive apps on the desktop only.

Yeah I mean that! Why it is "intermittent"? It always spins in Windows but very quitely and this avoids an excessive temperature with a minimal noise...As it should be for Mac! :) Anyway with Kalyway 10.5.2 there's not this problem.............F**** exams!!! I want to install MAC!!! XD I'll try to replace ACPIPlatform kext and CPUPowerManagement plist with those taken from Kaly...After 10th of July... :P

Ciao e grazie intanto,

ho scoperto che esistono almeno 2 versioni ipc 10.5.6... io le ho provate entrambe e quella reperita da demonoid risulta essere quella che hai usato te, l'altra ha qualche kext e applicazione in meno.

dopo 1563 installazioni ho riscontrato che il problema usb diventa irrimediabile dopo l'aggiornamento dell'ultimo safari.

in più se può esserti utile in qualche modo, quando lancio il comando che hai suggerito nella guida, il mack restituisce questo...

Last login: Fri Jul 3 12:26:26 on console

lucas-hp-550:~ luca$ sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleintelGMA*

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss

or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your

typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:

rm: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleintelGMA*: No such file or directory

lucas-hp-550:~ luca$

buona giornata!

PS: è andata bene la maturità?

Ciao e grazie intanto,

ho scoperto che esistono almeno 2 versioni ipc 10.5.6... io le ho provate entrambe e quella reperita da demonoid risulta essere quella che hai usato te, l'altra ha qualche kext e applicazione in meno.

dopo 1563 installazioni ho riscontrato che il problema usb diventa irrimediabile dopo l'aggiornamento dell'ultimo safari.

in più se può esserti utile in qualche modo, quando lancio il comando che hai suggerito nella guida, il mack restituisce questo...

Last login: Fri Jul 3 12:26:26 on console

lucas-hp-550:~ luca$ sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleintelGMA*

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss

or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your

typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:

rm: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleintelGMA*: No such file or directory

lucas-hp-550:~ luca$

buona giornata!

PS: è andata bene la maturità?

Beh la maturità è ancora in corso :P Speriamo bene...Comunque mi sa che sbagli nel digitare! Ricorda che MacOSX essendo basato su Unix è Case-Sensitive quindi non devi scrivere Appleintel (con la i minuscola) ma AppleIntelGMA (con la I maiuscola!) :rolleyes: Spero di esserti utile!

English: I'm sorry I'm answering in Italian but my Italian version of guide has been misteriously deleted!

Anyway we are talking about a post installation procedure: The removing of AppleIntelGMA kexts ;) Bye!

Bought a C54RU USB stick and finally I have wireless. Still waiting for intel 3945 stable airport drivers.

I also have the overheat / fan problems. The laptop gets very hot, then the fan sounds to the max noise and it disables again. Would be nice if someone has a working solution for this.

Cheers!!

Bought a C54RU USB stick and finally I have wireless. Still waiting for intel 3945 stable airport drivers.

I also have the overheat / fan problems. The laptop gets very hot, then the fan sounds to the max noise and it disables again. Would be nice if someone has a working solution for this.

Cheers!!

Kalyway hasn't this problem... :D 10.5.2 version. I tried it. But it has neither other basic kexts of iPC. Should try to replace some kext/bundle from kaly.

Hello there,

I followed all the steps of the first post an I have a working 10.5.8 system on my hp business 550, BUT I still don't understand how to make my brightness control working properly since I really don't understand the steps I should go in order to fix it (gprince method).

Could you please re-explain it step by step? What should I do with DSDT file/s?

Thanks a lot!

Ciao, grazie dell'ottima guida!

Tutto chiarissimo e utilissimo, ma le righe che riguardano il "metodo gprince" per la regolazione della luminosità mi rimangono di significato oscuro... Posso sapere come devo fare? Soprattutto non capisco cosa devo faere con i file DSDT, se devo installare qualcosa, un patcher :D grazie mille per l'ottimo lavoro cmq! Questo pc sarebbe un computerino di bassissima fascia tra tanti, ma adesso è una vera bomba!!

Pino

Hello there,

I followed all the steps of the first post an I have a working 10.5.8 system on my hp business 550, BUT I still don't understand how to make my brightness control working properly since I really don't understand the steps I should go in order to fix it (gprince method).

Could you please re-explain it step by step? What should I do with DSDT file/s?

Thanks a lot!

Ciao, grazie dell'ottima guida!

Tutto chiarissimo e utilissimo, ma le righe che riguardano il "metodo gprince" per la regolazione della luminosità mi rimangono di significato oscuro... Posso sapere come devo fare? Soprattutto non capisco cosa devo faere con i file DSDT, se devo installare qualcosa, un patcher :rolleyes: grazie mille per l'ottimo lavoro cmq! Questo pc sarebbe un computerino di bassissima fascia tra tanti, ma adesso è una vera bomba!!

Pino

hi thanks for your report! ;) another proof that osx works on this fantastic laptop! But have you really updated to 10.5.8?? I had no idea it has been already released :P anyway i don'understand too! I would ask directly to gprince to post here how to replace the dsdt file correctly... Just to avoid any mess! XD gprince are you listening to?? :P thanks in advance!

woww immediate reply

so, here we are:

Hi,

I get the right brightness control on hp 550 by:

using the dsdt.aml from BlackCH

I downloaded a .zip file, containing dsdt.aml and another .dsl file... what should I do with these? Maybe I put these somewhere, replacing something?

using the appleintelgmaX3100FB.kext version 1.5.18 combined to the efi strings found in osx86tools (gma950 card)

ok, so I download the attached file, install the .kext and... what does it mean "combined to efi strings found in osx86 tools"?

using the function flip prefpane (found on the forum) to replace F1 and F2 as the functionkeys to dimm the screen.

this should be ok

note: if I use this dsdt with the current X3100FB.kext I have the half-dimmed screen pb.

this too

thanks!!

ehm, scusa, leggendo in fretta avevo capito che non ti era chiaro quello che avevo scritto..

cmq 10.5.8 perchè se vado su finder-->info su finder mi dice 10.5.8

ok.. so summarizing still unsolved problems

-intermittent fans

-volume still regulation

-powersave not always working

-brightness up/down keys

io ho hp business 550, scriverò presto la mia configurazione in firma, visto che ti hanno fatto un cazziatone mica da ridere in un altro post..

ho letto che qualcuno aveva problemi con l'usb, ma che li ha risolti, ad un certo punto anche a me nn riconosceva più le chiavette, allora ho reinstallato tutti i .kext del pacchetto driver updated ed ha funzionato..

sorry for my bad italian! :rolleyes:

Madurhack,

Any news with extracting power management from Kaly 10.5.2?

Would be great to have the laptop cool this summer!

Cheers!!

I'm sorry guys I'm having my exam on 10th of July! :rolleyes: So I'm burning my brain with literature, math, physic and so on right now............ XD Anyway keep hoping or try for yourself and post the solution!! ;) ehehe!

Hello, i bought this notebook today and i can't install :)

Shortly after booting from the DVD (3 or 4 seconds after the bootmenu) i got a kernel panic.

See Screenshot

Ich have no idea what to do now.

The System Specs of my HP550 are:

Intel Celeron® (M) 550 2,0 GHz

1024 MB DDR2 SDRAM

15,4" 1280 x 800 Pixel (WXGA TFT) HP BrightView

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

160 GB HD 5400rpm

DVD Super Multi Brenner (Double Layer) DVD DL±RW/CDRW LightScribe

Any ideas, please? :wacko:

post-454163-1246986000_thumb.jpg

Ehhhmmmm...Why did you install a Voodoo Kernel and not a Vanilla one??? :P Are you using iPC or some other distribution?

Hello, i bought this notebook today and i can't install :D

Shortly after booting from the DVD (3 or 4 seconds after the bootmenu) i got a kernel panic.

See Screenshot

Ich have no idea what to do now.

The System Specs of my HP550 are:

Intel Celeron® (M) 550 2,0 GHz

1024 MB DDR2 SDRAM

15,4" 1280 x 800 Pixel (WXGA TFT) HP BrightView

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

160 GB HD 5400rpm

DVD Super Multi Brenner (Double Layer) DVD DL±RW/CDRW LightScribe

Any ideas, please? :)

Ok updated the first post with the still unsolved problems ;)

Hello, thanks for your answer :)

Ehhhmmmm...Why did you install a Voodoo Kernel and not a Vanilla one??? :D Are you using iPC or some other distribution?

I used the "iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Universal PPF6 Final v1.1" DVD.

I did not install anything, because i cannot boot the DVD. I have just booted from the DVD (without any commad line instructions). But after a few seconds i get the kernel panic.

Can i boot the Vannila Kernel with some commandline instructions?

Currently there is still "FreeDOS" installed.

btw: The DVD is okay, because i have installed with this dvd a buddys laptop.

Gooosh!! I'm really sorry! I didn't understand! :) I noticed that you have a different CPU model! I don't think this is much important but...Could it be the cause of this mess??? I don't know...Anyway try to install boot a Kalyway 10.5.2 distro. If it won't boot then there should be a compatibility issue! :) Because my celeron is a 530 1.73 Ghz and it boots correctly both vanilla and voodoo kernel! :D I don't know any parameter to type to boot with another kernel! You should read the iPC documentation. You can find it googling somewhere ;) Sure you find it easily!

EDIT: Ehi try to install Win XP before and then proceed installing Mac! Maybe that NFS means NSOMETHING-File-System! So, maybe, the hard disk has to be initialized with another OS (not freedos obiouvsly!) ;)

Gooosh!! I'm really sorry! I didn't understand! ;)
I'm sorry, my native language is not english :)
I noticed that you have a different CPU model! I don't think this is much important but...Could it be the cause of this mess??? I don't know...

I don't know too. But it's interesting that the kernel panic message says "panic (cpu 0 caller"

I don't know why the differen cpus should be that important, both are Celerons.

Anyway try to install boot a Kalyway 10.5.2 distro. If it won't boot then there should be a compatibility issue! :( Because my celeron is a 530 1.73 Ghz and it boots correctly both vanilla and voodoo kernel! :( I don't know any parameter to type to boot with another kernel! You should read the iPC documentation. You can find it googling somewhere ;) Sure you find it easily!

Thanks, i try to get the Kalyway DVD. The Buddys Laptop has also the 1,73Ghz Celeron (Acer 5220). Beside of that, it has the same hardware in it.

I'll read the documentation. If i find a solution, i'll post it here :) If not, i pull off my Apple Sticker :wacko:

EDIT: Ehi try to install Win XP before and then proceed installing Mac! Maybe that NFS means NSOMETHING-File-System! So, maybe, the hard disk has to be initialized with another OS (not freedos obiouvsly!) ;)

I installed Ubuntu 9.04, the iPC DVD won't still boot. I give it a try with WinXP :) Thanks. :)

I'm sorry, my native language is not english ;)

I don't know too. But it's interesting that the kernel panic message says "panic (cpu 0 caller"

I don't know why the differen cpus should be that important, both are Celerons.

Thanks, i try to get the Kalyway DVD. The Buddys Laptop has also the 1,73Ghz Celeron (Acer 5220). Beside of that, it has the same hardware in it.

I'll read the documentation. If i find a solution, i'll post it here ;) If not, i pull off my Apple Sticker :wacko:

I installed Ubuntu 9.04, the iPC DVD won't still boot. I give it a try with WinXP :) Thanks. :)

:( I'm sorry...I found something...Try this (taken by another poster on this forum:

QUOTING FROM VERDANT

The info you give is helpful. Suggest you start by checking your BIOS settings......

if you have the following or similar BIOS options....

Configure SATA as "AHCI" or Serial-ATA Configuration [Enabled]

JMicron SATA / PATA Controller [Disabled].....if JMicron present.....unless it works for you [Enabled].....

but JMicron is known to cause problems for some....but JMicron patches/drivers for OS X Install DVDs are now appearing......

JMicron Controller Mode [AHCI]....if present.....

CPU Internal Thermal Control [Auto]

Limit CPUID MaxVal [Disabled]

Execute Disable Bit [Enabled]

ACPI APIC Support [Enabled]

ACPI Suspend Mode [s3] or [s1] or [s1 and S3]

END OF QUOTE

Be aware that you have to modify values ONLY if they are present in your BIOS :( If not don't get in panic! :) And try to reboot ;)