[Guide] Hackintosh on HP 550 Notebook

mardurhack

221 posts in this topic

Thanks Gidi.

It works. Actually because i have no apple.com.boot.plist file in Extra before, I copied from Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ and paste arch=i386 in empty string.

gprince is mentioning in his guide something about reinstalling bsd.mpkg from SL install disk. I haven't done that. Can somebody explain me what that is and is it necessary.

Thanks Gidi.

It works. Actually because i have no apple.com.boot.plist file in Extra before, I copied from Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ and paste arch=i386 in empty string.

gprince is mentioning in his guide something about reinstalling bsd.mpkg from SL install disk. I haven't done that. Can somebody explain me what that is and is it necessary.

its necessary if your cant repair your permissions in snow leopard under disk utility, you can install it from the snow leopard retail dvd or the dmg using the go to location trick, its in the same location as Osinstall.pkg

@smilenkovski: Pay attention to your temperatures! They are too high like mines! I think that you have our same fan problem...

PLEASE TO ANYONE WHO HAS EXPERIENCED THE FAN PROBLEM: POST A EVEREST LOG HERE (just the basic data: cpu, mainboard, ram, video card, chipset and so on) AND HIS AppleACPIPlatform.kext AND IOACPIFamily.kext (and DSDT if patched)

IF YOU HAVE A CELERON M CPU (530, 550 and so on) PLEASE DO THE SAME THING! THANKS IN ADVANCE! If we collaborate we could find a solution!

@dakku: Thanks for the kexts ;) I'll add them to the guide!

@Gidi: It's strange that my notebook's fan doesn't work even if it's AC connected! It does something like this:

for 2 minutes it doesn't even spin! Then it spins for 5 seconds at maximum speed...Then it comes back to the original speed (near to 0) and so the cpu overheats each time the fan doesn't work!

EDIT: I've updated the guide. I divided it into 2 posts to avoid confusion :) And some text-formatting...

Something quite weird is happening with my HP 6720s. SL works flawless for an hours, after restart I just suddenly lost usb mouse. After second restart: immediate KP. Then, again, restart and comp works normally and very nice. I cant find causality here. I tried to repair disk permissions with disk utility and all went OK except two files being reported as modified and can't be repaired.. Now I'm writing this message on laptop and seems to be everything normal.

Anyone else in similar situation?

@mardurhack

I have problem with temperature only when disconnected from power.

:P:P:D .... OK I'm done...

EVERYTHING WORKS NOW, really EVERYTHING... even wifi picked up as airport... !!!!! ... I'm happily using 10.5.8....

I have been using Ubuntu on a HP 550 with Intel® Celeron® M Processor 530 (2.0 GHz 1 MB L2 cache 533 MHz FSB), this one (This One) for the past year. I got this laptop upon my arrival to Europe with a cell phone contract (yes in Europe you get freebies with a two year mobile contract - not certainly in my beloved NYC)... anyways...

This is my Hacktintosh:

4GB DDR2, Celeron 2.0 Ghz, 160GB HD, etc.... check this link for more info about this VERY CHEAP mac replacement. I followed this guide faithfully, then I update through apple updater to 10.5.8. Upon reboot I started in safe mode "-f" ... logged in and rebooted again.... that was it... 10.5.8... (I had to reinstall the following kexts though: Video, Battery, tPad, Sound, WiFi and Clamshell... Man I'm happy... this thing is FAST!!! like a real macbook, it took me like 2 hours to get it up and running... I still cant believe it, very stable, sleep, shut dow, reboot, usb, etc....... if anybody needs help just message me...

Roswell.

:D:D:D .... OK I'm done...

EVERYTHING WORKS NOW, really EVERYTHING... even wifi picked up as airport... !!!!! ... I'm happily using 10.5.8....

I have been using Ubuntu on a HP 550 with Intel® Celeron® M Processor 530 (2.0 GHz 1 MB L2 cache 533 MHz FSB), this one (This One) for the past year. I got this laptop upon my arrival to Europe with a cell phone contract (yes in Europe you get freebies with a two year mobile contract - not certainly in my beloved NYC)... anyways...

This is my Hacktintosh:

4GB DDR2, Celeron 2.0 Ghz, 160GB HD, etc.... check this link for more info about this VERY CHEAP mac replacement. I followed this guide faithfully, then I update through apple updater to 10.5.8. Upon reboot I started in safe mode "-f" ... logged in and rebooted again.... that was it... 10.5.8... (I had to reinstall the following kexts though: Video, Battery, tPad, Sound, WiFi and Clamshell... Man I'm happy... this thing is FAST!!! like a real macbook, it took me like 2 hours to get it up and running... I still cant believe it, very stable, sleep, shut dow, reboot, usb, etc....... if anybody needs help just message me...

Roswell.

Hi Roswell! Glad the guide has worked for you ;) But maybe even if you don't know yet, you have got our same temperature problem! Please could you check your fan speed and your temperature and eventually post a Everest Log (in Windows). This could be very useful if you don't experience this problem! ;) Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Could you even say what kind of installation you used? The "hacked" (iPC, ideneb etc.) or a "retail" (official Apple Mac OSX discs)? Thanks!

Hi Roswell! Glad the guide has worked for you :D But maybe even if you don't know yet, you have got our same temperature problem! Please could you check your fan speed and your temperature and eventually post a Everest Log (in Windows). This could be very useful if you don't experience this problem! ;) Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Could you even say what kind of installation you used? The "hacked" (iPC, ideneb etc.) or a "retail" (official Apple Mac OSX discs)? Thanks!

I use iPC 10.5.6 - then I upgraded to 10.5.8 via Apple Updater... like I said before, I rebooted -f ... and done...

about the temperature... everything seems to be working real good... no crazy fan forever spinning or really hot battery... - considering that this machine is ON 24x7 since transmission is always working (if you know what I mean.)

Anyways about the Everest report... I will be more than happy to share it with you but I fully switched to HAckpple. I no longer use Windows, I'm not dual booting - this machine is STABLE man, rock solid!!!. Point me on the right direction to an alternative program to Everest and I will post the results here for everybody to do the same thing I did. I'm a Mac User since I was a kid (I'm on my 30s now) and I was using a PC on Ubuntu for financial reasons... but now Im back! -

I use iPC 10.5.6 - then I upgraded to 10.5.8 via Apple Updater... like I said before, I rebooted -f ... and done...

about the temperature... everything seems to be working real good... no crazy fan forever spinning or really hot battery... - considering that this machine is ON 24x7 since transmission is always working (if you know what I mean.)

Anyways about the Everest report... I will be more than happy to share it with you but I fully switched to HAckpple. I no longer use Windows, I'm not dual booting - this machine is STABLE man, rock solid!!!. Point me on the right direction to an alternative program to Everest and I will post the results here for everybody to do the same thing I did. I'm a Mac User since I was a kid (I'm on my 30s now) and I was using a PC on Ubuntu for financial reasons... but now Im back! -

I don't really know a similar software on Mac...But it's very strange that you don't experience my same problem because you also have a Celeron! :censored2: So I was wondering if there is something else that change between your HP and mine...Anyway did you follow the guide step by step or did you change something (even few settings) during or after the installation? Thanks for your help!!

you can install windows via vmware, best alternative, i dual boot between snow leopard and leopard but i have 4 os's in virtual too.

Edit: does anyone know who i can make snow leopard boot as default? at the moment it boots leopard as default.

my partition structure, leopard, snow leopard, storage, storage 2.

you can install windows via vmware, best alternative, i dual boot between snow leopard and leopard but i have 4 os's in virtual too.

Edit: does anyone know who i can make snow leopard boot as default? at the moment it boots leopard as default.

my partition structure, leopard, snow leopard, storage, storage 2.

I think this is not possible with Chameleon 1...I don't know if it's possible with Chameleon 2 but I'm pretty sure to have read that is not possible to change chameleon 1 boot parameters ;) Anyway you could just erase Leopard and leave only Snow if it runs without problems...

• 2 weeks later...

has anyone else noticed the usb problem? i have the patched IOPCIFamily kext and when i restart my laptop my usb ports are working fine but after a while (possibly sleep, still havent figured out when why) it stops working, i need to restart my laptop to make it work again.

Also, while using my laptop, if i take the power lead out and plug it back in, my sound is muffled, very horrible, again, only fix is to restart.

Anyone having these same problems? Any possible fix?

as a bonus if anyone can tell me how to make my second partition as the first boot pref in chameleon would be great!

Finally! I solved the stupid fan issue. Now fan works and laptop doesn't get above 50ºC.

Need some beta testers, because may work for me and not for others, so please PM me and I will give you the steps I followed.

PS: YOU WILL NEED UNTOUCHED VANILLA SNOW LEOPARD INSTALL. NOT FOR LEOPARD. SRY!

Cheers!

Hi all,

does anyone know how to open the HP 550 to replace the processor with a T2390 which I just bought for installing Snow Leopard?

I've been trying to remove all screws, but got nowhere. I guess I'm not too good at messing with hardware ;)

Thank you

Regards

No, I have C2D 1.8 as you. The temps may be 10 degrees up because of loading AppleIntelCPU...kext and using vanilla speedstep. Are you using it, or using vpower?

Anyways, only "issue" now is that it waits up to 2 minutes to enter S3 sleep (keep with black screen for long time before sleeping).