Cmedia 8738

Pons

228 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi guys. I have purchased an Asus Xonar D1 to use in place of my BadAxe2's onboard sound card and have installed the kext and followed the instructions throughout. Upon rebooting I go to System Preferences and it reports no output device. Has anyone succeeded in getting one of these to work in iATKOS v7?

The system is running 10.6.2. Scrub that, thats my MBP. The Hackintosh is running 10.5.8.

The output from ioreg -l lists IRQs iirc can be seen here:

http://pastebin.com/i60j1jwh

I'm a Windows developer so I'm pretty lost here so please help...

Thanks.

--

Lee

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heyyo,

Hi guys! Sound working on SnowLeopard with CMI8738! ;)

I've been able to compile from sources the kext for CMI8738 chipsets!

Output working perfectly under 10.6.0 64-bit. You will find the kext attached to this post.

Tried changing the IOPCIMatch to 0x878813F6 and it detects there's a soundcard, but no volume output. Indeed, the CMI8788 soundcard is different enough from the CMI8738 that it won't work unless modified.. maybe someday someone shall. My soundcard is an Asus Xonar DX PCI-E version. So no luck for me. :(

Heyyo,

Tried changing the IOPCIMatch to 0x878813F6 and it detects there's a soundcard, but no volume output. Indeed, the CMI8788 soundcard is different enough from the CMI8738 that it won't work unless modified.. maybe someday someone shall. My soundcard is an Asus Xonar DX PCI-E version. So no luck for me. :D

Hey, I am new here. I was reading this thread, hoping that by the end of it, I would find a compatible driver for my Asus Xonar Essence STX PCI-e sound card.

I built a HTPC, and and running win7, but microsoft is way to buggy for this OSX user.

I wanted to hackintosh my PC, but I need sound! Please anybody. We need your skills.

If someone compiles a driver that works for the CMI8788 chipset, would it not work for me anyways because my card is PCI-e? I know computers, but I am not a programmer at all.

Thanks!

Maybe we should put together a paypal donation fund, so we can pay someone to do it.

(A driver for CMI-8788 for SnowLeopard)

Any takers? Anyone with the skill to pull it off, and just needs a push of cash incentive?

If so, how much?

Lets see if there are any takers, then we can figure out a way to keep it honest.

Just an idea...a potential solution, seeing as Asus wont support the people who love a strong, clean OS. :D

• 4 weeks later...

snow leopard 32-bit 1.6.4

activated audio with "chaud 4.6.1"

installed CMI 8738 pci audio driver. kext (page 9)

placed .kext into /Extra/Extensions

run KextUtility.v2.3.2

reboot

stereo output only. mic seems to work (i don't have one but i see that the manager get it)

PCI Card : Nilox 8 Ch pci audio card (24 € :wacko:) (windows xp compatible only, now iMac too XD)

what we have to do to activate the quadrifonic ? next kernel ?

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to post a successful result with a card I haven't seen mentioned here yet:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16829270006

SIIG Soundwave 7.1 PCI Audio card - uses CMI8768 chip, working great with Cmedia 8738 kext. Using the version 0.6.4 (dated Nov. 8 2009) of the CMI8738 kext, and it's working in 64-bit snow.

This is a little bit higher-end card than some of the cheapo 10 dollar cards available with the 8738 chip. I'm hoping it will last well - bad reviews of the cheaper cards drove me to find this one. So far it works and sounds great.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can confirm the CMI8738PCIAudioDriver.kext works using the HT Omega Striker 7.1 on 10.6.5 retail DVD install with C-Media CMI8770 chipset. Only tested "Front" output on the PCI bracket (not the Front Panel output header) but I'm stoked... even 2 channels of output is infinitesimally better than 0 channels.

Two thumbs up!

• 1 month later...

I pulled a diamond xtreme 7.1 pci soundcard from a discarded pc and it has the 8768 chipset. used the kext for 64 bit and at first i tried the E/E folder, nothing so i put it l/s/e repaired permissions and now works on 10.66 64 bit. My onboard alc1200 on my p5q pro (dsdt injected, alc1200legacy and pearl script patched 10.66 applehda) is also still working.

that soundcard is nice especially for free!!

• 6 months later...

I think I should say my experience in order for others to see as I did in this forum that this chip is working (well, semi-working).

First of all I disabled the Azalia audio codec in BIOS (I have a Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3).

After many kernel panics and restoring my installation, what I did was to download from shagui's post this file, having to install it both in Extra/Extensions and in System/Library/Extensions and then running Kext Utility 2.3.2 so as to recreate caches...

Running 10.6.8 snow leopard 64bit

• 3 months later...