NVIDIA's ION Platform and OS X

275 posts in this topic

Any change of making a step by step guide on how to install OSX ?

Specially foor N00bs like myself :thumbsdown_anim:

. . . very interesting: thank you for sharing this.

Please could you share your plist/binary hacked NVdarwin.kext & your smbiosenabler.kext [this last comes in many, many versions].

Can you disable hyperthreading in the BIOS of your IPX7A? . . or have you done this?

I see you have CPU alias' in the txt for your dsdt patching - shouldn't these be removed?

Can't wait !!

But this means you can install more than the 4GB Ram under OSX, (the BIOS on the Asrock doesn't support more than 4) am I right ?

Plus u can't use the overclocking utility that's a shame..

And I have another question, what do you guys use as a wifi adapter on the AsRock ?

. . I'm still playing with my Asrock ION 330 - works fine so far running vanilla OSX 10.5.7 w/ munky's 6.1 bootloader: will collect together some basic files/instructions in a day or so, unless someone else is quicker &/or kinder.

Prefer not hacking kexts - looks like we'll get most functions [bar audio] through EFI string editing.

Video non-trivial [well, trivial to get it working, non-trivial to work out how to mimic/exploit the way Apple use the onboard 9400m] - I don't have a unibody Macbook or NV mini to play with.

Dreamwalker has done a wonderfully thorough job of hacking OSX to run w/ his similar mobo.

did anyone know ION M/B, PEGATRON "IPX7A-ION/330/ODM" ? it's only ODM model, is selled in japan.

ION IPX7A-ION/330/ODM

i got it, run OSX 10.5.6.

M/B IPX7A-ION/330/ODM

MEM 8GB (DDR2-800 4GBx2)

HDD 120GB

ODD Blu-ray

os is consist of retail osx 10.5.6, acpi(using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers) fixed patch , and kernel flags cpus=1 or 2. biossetting is default.

screen shot is below.

up-xepid8042.jpg

i make dsdt file , shutdown and sleep is ok. but 1 core is unknown or may be busy. so 1 core / 2 thead is running now.

i want to correct dsdt table. please give advice to me.

. . here's a new dsdt.aml for your mobo, with the CPU alias' corrected: you should now have 2x cores, which should show per-core L2 cache in System Profiler. A similarly edited dsdt works well in my Asrock ION 330.

I'll leave it to you if you want to run the 'fixes' in the pcwiz GUI tool.

IPX7A_dsdt_CPU_alias_only.zip

thanks shoarthing!

erace Alias (P001, CPU1) - Alias (P004, CPU4) 4line in dsdt table. i success to run 2 core /4 thread working!

up-xepid8073.jpg

posted DSDT files , added kext files and plist below.

<quick guide>

step1. use LDMx86(*1) tool , rebuild retail OSX media.

step2. install custmized OSX to ION PC (etc.. IPX7A-ION/330/ODM)

step3. bootloader change to Chameleon 2.0 RC2 (not reboot).

step4. remove SMBIOSEnabler.kext , set DSDT.aml to root (/) and /Extra/smbios.plist.

step5. reboot!

*1 LDMx86 is distributed in japanese osx86 site. please try it in google search. LDMx86 is rebuild script for retail OSX media. it add user's any kext and PC_EFI patch to retail media , rebuild OSX medeia for Intel x86 PC.

DSDT.zip

KEXT.zip

thanks shoarthing!

erace Alias (P001, CPU1)�žAlias (P004, CPU4) 4line in dsdt table. i success to run 2 Core /4 thread working!

up-xepid8073.jpg

posted DSDT files , added kext files and plist.

after osx added files (LDMx86*1) installed, bootloader change to Chameleon 2.0 RC2.

remove SMBIOSEnabler.kext , set DSDT.aml to root (/) and /Extra/smblis.pist.

*1 LDMx86 is distributed in japanese osx86 site. please try it in google search. LDMx86 is rebuild script for retail OSX media. it add user's any kext and EFI patch to retail media , then rebuild OSX medeia for Intel x86 PC.

. . well, well, well . . I had no idea the vanilla kernel could handle hyperthreading :D

. . have you tried this under stress [Handbrake?] with all 4 physical/logical cores at 95~100%?

Does your nvdarwin solution allow video-memory change in the BIOS? . . I noticed you were at 256MB.

I am using a rather different solution which seems to allow changing the video memory.

Thank you for the audio kexts - 0.22b voodoohda [which I really like] doesn't work a damn on this platform. Were these produced by the iDeneb 662 package?

hi! , IPX7A-ION 's bios is AMI.

stress cpu's 95-100% test in 2 core/4 thread is complete!

no change HyperTreading on/off in bios . :D

video buffer size can change 64MB-512MB. i set 256MB in bios, change up to 512MB.

only simple manual. because IPX7A-ION is limited ODM model.

. . . hmph: ION 330 [also with AMI BIOS] doesn't work with a dsdt edited to show 4 'cores' . . . [with hyperthreading enabled in-BIOS] . . . . are you using the vanilla kernel?

Will try your nvdarwin solution - thanks.

Tell me more about this 'smbios.plist' . . . . :( . .

. . . hmph: ION 330 [also with AMI BIOS] doesn't work with a dsdt edited to show 4 'cores' . . . [with hyperthreading enabled in-BIOS] . . . . are you using the vanilla kernel?

Will try your nvdarwin solution - thanks.

Tell me more about this 'smbios.plist' . . . . :P . .

yes, hyperthrading is always enable in bios , i use vanilla kenerl. dsdt deleted alias can to run pure osx 10.5.6 (acpi fix no more).

smbios.plis is Chameleon 2.0 setting file. Chameleon 2.0 is GUI bootloader and rewrite smbios information.

this NVdawrin.kext detect deviceis 0x087d , print "NVIDIA ION". if your MCP7A's video deviceid is not 0x087d, add plist your vide deviceid.

Hey guys,

I am about to buy me an AsRock ion 330 to be used as my HTPC,

But I'm still in doubt on what OS to run on it..

Ubuntu + XBMC

WinXp/Vista / 7 ? + XBMC

But I would Love to run OSX on it 'cause I've been a Mac guy for 12 years and really can't think of using anything other than OSX.

Would you say it was easy to get 10.5.7 running on the AsRock 330 and use XBMC as my media management ?

Or should I go for the alternative..Windows or Ubuntu..

Keep in mind.. I am pretty much a N00b around the terminal :)

Thnx

Vince

Hey guys,

I am about to buy me an AsRock ion 330 to be used as my HTPC,

But I'm still in doubt on what OS to run on it..

Ubuntu + XBMC

WinXp/Vista / 7 ? + XBMC

But I would Love to run OSX on it 'cause I've been a Mac guy for 12 years and really can't think of using anything other than OSX.

Would you say it was easy to get 10.5.7 running on the AsRock 330 and use XBMC as my media management ?

Or should I go for the alternative..Windows or Ubuntu..

Keep in mind.. I am pretty much a N00b around the terminal :P

Thnx

Vince

. . there's a big community of folk using XBMC on the ION 330, so that seems the way to go if you want practical outcomes right now.

Edit 5th Nov 2009: For Asrock ION 330-specific info see this thread & illustrated Leopard *.pdf install-guide

Hmm reading your basic straightforward OSX86 twiddling.. this seems to go beyond my OSX basic knowledge, and I dont want to end up with a half working HTPC ( my kids would kill me :)

There's no easy way to get everything working on the ion 330 when running OSX I am reading between the lines..

So I think it will be a Vista or more likely an XP box.. :(

. . there's a big community of folk using XBMC on the ION 330, so that seems the way to go if you want practical outcomes right now.

Getting OSX 10.5.7 to work is pretty trivial, if you already have a Mac or Hac.

Once you've got a sorted dsdt.aml [from the moment I started this project it was obvious sorting this is key to getting ION 330 boxes to work], the rest is straightforward OSX86 twiddling.

My 10.5.7 install is completely vanilla bar for one kext to sort out USB2 hassles.

Audio looks to be a hassle - prob best right now to use a cheapo USB inteface. The ALC662 is a notorious &u*^er in OSX. I haven't looked inside the HDA kexts Dreamwalker hacked for his [similar] ION mobo but if these by some miracle work on the Asrock he's due heartfelt thanks.

Vista runs really well on it, tho' you can feel it is a bit of an effort for the poor little thing, & an incredible amount of RAM is used to just keep Vista from falling over: the only Linux I've run is the minimal GUI you get with Parted Magic - this ran really briskly.

Hmm reading your basic straightforward OSX86 twiddling.. this seems to go beyond my OSX basic knowledge, and I dont want to end up with a half working HTPC ( my kids would kill me :)

There's no easy way to get everything working on the ion 330 when running OSX I am reading between the lines..

So I think it will be a Vista or more likely an XP box.. :(

. . by OSX86 standards, I think the ION 330 is pretty easy to get running with a vanilla install. The MCP79 [chipset/GPU combo] is of course supported, since Apple are using it.

Getting the whizzo GPU-accelerated malarkey to work [in 10.6.x] may or may not happen - I think it probably will . . .

. . . but the box was designed to run Vista, & clearly is very well-suited to a modern Linux distro. XP probably work fine.

AsRock ION 330 has VIA VT1708S audio codec, not Realtek!

tpMmMQemUf.jpg

http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/audio/codecs/hd-codecs.jsp

. . yes: have just checked my mobo & you're right.

This is not good news, There is no OSX support for the VIA "vinyl" sound-processor series, bar voodooHDA, which AFAIK has a conflict with a working USB2 solution.

USB audio looks the way to go right now.

If there are a few folk reading this who really want to get their ION 330 working, & actually have one in their hands right now plus a known-working [or genuine] copy of Leopard 10.5.6 retail & a few hours to spare, please post in the dev thread & I'll walk you through an install.

If you already have a Mac or Hac plus a means to plug the ION 330's HDD into it, an install takes 20~30 minutes. That is how I do it.

So If I hook the Hdd of the ion to my macbookpro its takes half an hour ?

and then everything works ? that would be great !!

plz let me know if thats the case, so I can order the aSrock :thumbsup_anim:

. . yes: have just checked my mobo & you're right.

This is not good news, There is no OSX support for the VIA "vinyl" sound-processor series, bar voodooHDA, which AFAIK has a conflict with a working USB2 solution.

USB audio looks the way to go right now.

If there are a few folk reading this who really want to get their ION 330 working, & actually have one in their hands right now plus a known-working [or genuine] copy of Leopard 10.5.6 retail & a few hours to spare, please post in the dev thread & I'll walk you through an install.

If you already have a Mac or Hac plus a means to plug the ION 330's HDD into it, an install takes 20~30 minutes. That is how I do it.

But then all works like it should ? and I can still install XBMC :thumbsup_anim:

. . . if using a MBP you'll need to plug the ION's HDD into a SATA:[whatever] bridgeboard/enclosure - ie SATA-to-USB, or Firewire, or eSATA - if you have an eSATA expresscard34.

If you have a modern PC-based Hac you can of course plug the ION's HDD straight into a spare SATA port.

USB is the worst option.

But then all works like it should ? and I can still install XBMC :thumbsup_anim:
. . . as far as I can see; at present there's just this one ION 330 running OSX, & for me it is a fun project.

If you want everything to work right now, run an OS with a large community of users - the XMBC forums are busy with ION 330 owners :(

zivtong

Same problem with iDeneb 1.5. I installed iAktos v7 .

In customization options I chose:

-Video:nvenable

-Sound:voodooHDA

-Chipset: i tried nforce and via. I didn`t notice difference.

-Network:nforce network.

Kernel default

Video and sound work. Intro video appeared. There are problems with usb.Usb wireless network adapter and usb flash are not recognized. But usb mouse and keyboard work. :wacko:

P.S. I solved usb problem.Ethernet connection work.I have used OSx86Tools.In "System and Computer" section I used "View PCI Device/Vendor ID" and "Download and Install Hardware Drivers".

Now Usb devices work properly)

anything that you did to solve the usb problem? can put more details please?

• 2 weeks later...

LOOOOL POINT OF VIEW sells the board to same ION-330 as PEGATRON ^_^

View Photo:

post-17911-1250269698_thumb.jpg

post-17911-1250269746_thumb.jpg

The name became with lacquer over covers!!

post-17911-1250270130_thumb.jpg

I laugh my dead :hysterical:

ps. Sorry for my Englisch

::Edit::

has who that link to Pegatron HP???