NVIDIA's ION Platform and OS X

275 posts in this topic

hi shoarthing

Thank you for all the information you are sharing.

This evening I start to work to get the audio, which is very disturbed using an applehda cracked.

I'm using the 9400M with NVKush, and i am not sure that the acceleration is fully active.

Starting Arabesque screensaver my cpu load to around 80% ..

Could you do this test, even if you have a dual core?

I also created my DSDT to linux, and I have no problem with hyperthreading.

Now, with legacy disabled, I can also use the USB controller.

But I need to run well the video card, since my project is to use it as a media center with digital terrestrial.

To make comparisons, you may still attach your full DSDT?

I seem to have realized that to run your video card you have acted only on the DSDT?

Thanks again!

hi shoarthing

Thank you for all the information you are sharing.

This evening I start to work to get the audio, which is very disturbed using an applehda cracked.

I'm using the 9400M with NVKush, and i am not sure that the acceleration is fully active.

Starting Arabesque screensaver my cpu load to around 80% ..

Could you do this test, even if you have a dual core?

I also created my DSDT to linux, and I have no problem with hyperthreading.

Now, with legacy disabled, I can also use the USB controller.

But I need to run well the video card, since my project is to use it as a media center with digital terrestrial.

To make comparisons, you may still attach your full DSDT?

I seem to have realized that to run your video card you have acted only on the DSDT?

Thanks again!

. . the arabasque screensaver is notoriously CPU-intensive.

To test your graphics, download the 8K v2 of the OpenCL benchmarking tool Galaxies from the link here & run it [read the instructions as to keyboard controls first: q=quit; s=move from one to the next].

I see 20 Gigaflops from the GPU; 4~5 from CPU+GPU [this sort of fall is normal in systems with sloooow memory-transfer speeds].

. . . CI/QE is definitely working.

Edit 5 Nov 2009 - moving info to a Zotac-specific thread

Hello, sorry, you're right ..

I could not start galaxy ..

In the package there is a README that says to use the 9400M version 2x .. Do you know?

In the attached screenshot there are a lot of information.

Attach my dsdt(generated with linux)

I have blue screen using HDMI also turning off monitor or changing the source

With legacy bios opt disabled, usb2,shutdown and restart work fine with the kext, boot, etc. on screenshots.

I have not tried the sleep. Later I'll try.:D

EyeTV works well, but the CPU reaches 100% ..

Mount of kingston DDR2 800 1x2GB

Now I ask you something.

The benchmark results should be equal to or almost to a MacBook with 9400 and mine?

For my vga, i use nvkush, without nvcap or efi string, and vga, dvi are ok, hdmi with mentioned problem..!

What is your solution for the VGA?

Thanks

screen.tiff

hi shoarthing

I did just apply the audio dsdt to my dsdt. And Analog sound works flawless here. I did have to remove all the emty spaces and replace them with tabulator tabs from your code.

Multi channel analog output have always been done with making a Aggregate Device in the Audio Midi setup in Utilities, and then add the outputs to that device. So we can get around 4.1 channel analog output.

Will try it out here when i get the new speaker set for my DX58SO hack so i can take the speakers from that one and use together with the ION.

The mem speed can be fixed with adding the values to your smbios.plist...

Here is the one i use... The serial is a real Mac mini 3,1 serial i found on google.. :)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<string>Apple Computer, Inc.</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MM31.88Z.0081.B00.080209154</string>
<key>SMmanufacter</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>Macmini3,1</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>YM9122XS19X</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>Napa Mac</string>
<key>SMboardmanufacter</key>
<string>zotac</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>IONITX-D-E</string>
<key>SMmemtype</key>
<string>19</string>
<key>SMmemspeed</key>
<string>800</string>
</dict>
</plist>

After some testing ..

EyeTV shoot me too ..

My HDMI is seen only at first start with any configuration of the bios.

I start with the OS boot pciroot flag = 0, but I believe that it is only necessary with pcefi 10.3 or cham rc3, which I use.

System information gives me error in showing the memory .. we see from the screenshot ..

These are the output of commands:

kaious-Mac-mini:~ kaiou$ ioreg -lw 0 -p IODeviceTree | grep NVPM

| | | "NVPM" = <01000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000>

kaious-Mac-mini:~ kaiou$ ioreg -lw 0 -p IODeviceTree | grep NVCAP

| | | "NVCAP" = <04000100000003000c0000000000000a00000000>

However, I do not think the vga still working properly, and I think the same to your.

My bench result of xbench of 9400 ion is 4 times slow of 9400 of my macbook..

Your efi string is generated with osx86tools, custom geforce?

I have not understood why not put your DSDT ..

:D

Hallo

kaiou - thank you - most helpful . . . . but:

. . blast & damn. EyeTV [which I use a lot] doesn't run properly for me - it snags/hesitates every minute or so - infuriating.

I may try using the 'natural' 256M of video-buffer - I have 4GB & the 330 can only address 3.2GB of it, so I put as much as possible to video.

I use the dsdt to obtain video . . have done this from the start.

I have no problems with shutdown or restart now [using openhaltrestart]; but only recently have I got to grips with this 'blue screen malarkey.

I *think* the key is to set primary VGA to 'PCIe VGA adaptor' [if using HDMI output].

. . for the last couple of days this has been reliably OK; but thing are complicated by my using a Viera with several other devices attached, & by having to use SwitchResX to get the correct resolution [a custom one] for this 1024x720 panel.

What memory speed is shown in 'About this Mac'?

Could you please fire up a terminal & paste in:

ioreg -lw 0 -p IODeviceTree | grep NVPM

. . & copy the result to a post here; then

ioreg -lw 0 -p IODeviceTree | grep NVCAP

. . & similarly post the result.

Thank you

S

hi shoarthing

I have some usb problems on my board that i have written on the zotacusa.com forum about.

I wonder if the EyeTV problem could be a underpowering problem on the zotac boards and that the asrock dont underpower.. :(

But here is the link to my tread on the zotac forum.

http://www.zotacusa.com/forum/index.php?/t...;-usb-20-issue/

Well i allready have it working fine with Legacy enablet in the bios so i can use my usb k/b in the bios...

but i still want it the bios to be fully working so to speak... And my Fullspeed problem is not only osx.. as soon as i enable it, it hangs every os i try... And as you could see the zotac guy say they are not able to reproduce the problem.

As it is now i can see 4 usb hubs in osx.. 2 that are usb 1.1 and 2 that are usb 2.0 but if there is some bad code in there AMI ({censored}) bios they need to fix it.. :)

Ohh and where i did see the EHCI Handoff text was in osx boot verbosen but i did deside not to say that on there forum... looool...

I do not think it's a problem with usb.

I will use with legacy off.

And they work all 8 USB ports, I also have 2 controllers 1.0 and 2 2.0.

You might get in the bios by pressing del, enter me!

By placing the antenna well, DDT is also ok.

Some channels keep the CPU at 50% .. And the vision is perfect .. Changes channels faster than mine hackpro ..:(

if I pause the playback, EyeTV continues to "register", and in this situation, the CPU is below 10%.

Indeed, all video, even of very low quality is hard, and the CPU rises dramatically ..

I am increasingly convinced that the performance of the GPU is not fully active ..

Now the audio works fine, but not to HDMI, the HDMI output from me still having problems with blue images, blue, and I can not find when it happens ..

Well audio over hdmi wont get to work.. it dont even work on real macs... seems like apple have cut that option in anything but apple tv (Dont know if it works there i dont have one but i will guess it do)

i did try a HD movie from the apple quicktime guide hd section (Link: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/hd/ ) and that runs perfect... but QuickTime X can also use the gpu to do the x264 decoding. BUT if you install perian you loos the x264 decoding in QT X

I have been using win 7 just 2-3 days before going on the with snow... And there my Terratec Cinergy USB XS FM works fine with the Media center in 7 ultimate... No shuttering there... So it might be the lack of HT that do it in osx... or can be that win 7 MCE can unload to the gpu also...

Edit: The EyeyTV issues were my fault (of course): I had forgotten the application buffers its TV streams onto the volume where your EyeTV library is - in my case this is a Time Capsule not just far far away; but with the TC's default spindown - hence the skipping & so o as the remote HDD was spun up.

Have now set the buffer to RAM.

Hi.

No i dont use the widget, i did't know there was one and i dont need it.. :hysterical:

Well been playing with EyeTV a little over the weekend, and here on mine it is only on some of the channels i get the skipping.

But most of my channels are fine... i am running at 2GHz at the moment and i might give it a bit more to see if i can solve the last skipping.. i know i have been running 2.2 GHz with no problems.

Here are the screenshots you did request.

post-84138-1255300636_thumb.png

post-84138-1255300647_thumb.png

No i was only doing some CPU overclocking.

Well i have some bad news in the future of this card in osx86... as well as other atom mobos / computers...

Seems like the kernel that comes with 10.6.2 dont like the atoms.. I just get a black screen after the bootloader have loaded the kexts (In verbosen mode in normal mode it is just a spinning ball under the apple logo)

The Atheroes WLAN are not working oob also after updating to 10.6.2

Ofc we can still use the kernel from 10.6.0 and the kexts from 10.6.0 also... But so far dont go rusing out and updating to 10.6.2 as soon it comes...

There is no error message... Just black screen with verbosen... or the spinning wheel in normal mode... it never loads the kernel...

I have no problems on my i7 or my macbook with the 2 builds there is of 10.6.2... i will test the new builds on the ion also but like i say as it is now the 10.2.0 kernel dont like atoms.

I will have to say the blue screen problem when using HDMI and you change anything in the screen settings.. Also i have had it overscan my screen over the HDMI...

Even if it it stands to use the max res of my screen it can overscan it..

Hello

Now with the nvenabler and the changes you listed the HDMI works for me too.

The VGA seems faster, even if the result of Xbench is always the same. I'll do some bench testing with other software.

The sleep does not work, the motherboard does not turn off, turn off the screen, and you need a forced reboot. But honestly it is not so important.

Shutdown and restart working properly.

The OS starts up in one-two minute ..

I would be useful to monitor the temperatures, but the atoms do not think is possible.

The USB seems to work properly.

EyeTV 3.2 Functions perfectly.

The CPU load reaches about 70% ..

I like the results. Though I think the graphics department can improvement ..

I enclose my ioreg of terratec xs

Thanks!

cinergy.tiff