NVIDIA's ION Platform and OS X

275 posts in this topic

No i am doing osx86 only... i hate to dual boot..

Well if you have a extra drive then try the windows xp thing.. :) Might bring it back... ;)

I'll give it a try after I figure out the osx86 graphics issue.

wrc4 - Hi - first suggest you check you have allocated 256M or 512M to video [in the southbridge section of the BIOS]

Then please get hold of ioregistryexplorer [included in xcode tools, also in dsdtse] & take a look at what is shown when you type

'igpu' into it

. . you can see the sort of output Mushishi & I see above in his thread.

Downloading XCode for Snow Leopard now... Will take a couple of hours on my link.

BTW, Are you running 64 bit kernel? From Activity Monitor I can see that all Processes (including kernel_task) are 64bit except one called usbmuxd. Interesting enough that kernel_task on my friend's MacBook G4 still shows running in 32bit mode.

EDIT: The IGPU@0 Node only has four values: _ADR, _STA, acpi-device & acpi-path. I guess either the DSDT.aml is not working or GraphicsEnabler is not working. I have 256M RAM assigned to Video in BIOS. Also, trying to switch to 32bit kernel using -arch=i386 failed to boot.

Any idea?

. . . xcodetools [which includes ioregistryexplorer.app] is not on the install DVD.

I am running the modbin test7 kernel . . . . . this is 32-bit only, & gives working HTT.

. . if the dsdt didn't load you wouldn't have sound.

Possible your com.apple.Boot.plist isn't loading properly.

Remove any instances of this except the one in /Extra

Boot flag for 32bit is either:

arch=i386

OR

-x32

. . . my Boot.plist reads:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
  <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
  <plist version="1.0">
  <dict>
   <key>Kernel</key>
   <string>mach_test7</string>
   <key>Kernel Flags</key>
   <string>-v  -x32</string>
   <key>Timeout</key>
   <string>10</string>
   <key>UHCIreset</key>
   <string>n</string>
   <key>GUI</key>
   <string>n</string>
   <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
   <string>Yes</string>
   <key>VideoROM</key>
   <string>/NVIDIA.ROM</string>
   <key>VBIOS</key>
   <string>Yes</string>
   <key>ForceWake</key>
   <string>n</string>
   <key>ForceHPET</key>
   <string>n</string>
   <key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
   <string>Yes</string>
   <key>EHCIacquire</key>
   <string>n</string>
  </dict>
  </plist>

You're right. DSDT.xml did load. I tried to rename it to something else and then sound went away. I also tried your com.apple.Boot.plist. But with "<key>GUI</key><string>n</string>" my display got messed up (A white bar on the top of the screen and nothing else). However, this probably means that com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra is getting loaded.

I'm thinking about trying the EFI string method but EFI Studio 1.1 only has "9400GT 512M" selection. Can I use that or the string has to be customized too? (Too many newbie questions B))

. . it is dsdt.aml

Not clear why you're having these hassles. Suggest you start again with a clean install, & immediately use the dsdt.aml made for you.

If you don't want to do that, remove/disable all the graphics stuff in your boot.plist & try nvenabler in /S/L/E - this definitely works without the need to edit your NV kexts.

If you're going the EFI-string [or injection via dsdt] route, ask Mushishi to post his NVCAP values - I originally used graphics injection from the dsdt [worked fine] but I had HDMI hassles between the Zotac & my plasma - I've got quite a few devices connected to the panel & this appeared to cause hassles with the NVCAP value I was using.

[Edit] - are you using VGA out?

Sorry. I meant .aml.

I think I will try a clean Install later. But while I'm at it, I definitely want to try different things to gain some experience.

I'm using DVI to connect to my ASUS monitor.

EDIT: After putting nvenabler 64.kext in /Extra/Extensions and rebuilding cache Video worked. After reboot the display automatically switched to 1920x1080 and seemed to be accelerated.

Now the only thing that's not working is the Network. I tried nForceLAN.kext and EthernetBuiltIn=Yes but neither of them helped. It's very strange that the Network Card seems to be OK--When I pull out the cable it says Not Connected; When plugged in it tries to get ip address from DHCP, but always end up with Self-Assigned address.

you dont need any kexts for the lan to work.. you just need the lan to be it self.. as i did tell you.. try to use a windows xp to get the lan card back on track.. i had the same problem after been using ubuntu 9.04..

And shoarthing xcode together with ioregexplorer IS on the dvd.. it is under optional installs when you add the dvd.. then you just run the xcode pkg...

XCode have always been on the osx dvd.. it have been removed on the dirstos to make them single layer.. But on the retail all the way from atleast 10.3 that i know have had xcode under optional installs.

And all the values you have in your boot.plist that say no are not usefull.. The values you say no to have no as default.. That you would know if you have read the Readme from the chameleon doc.

BootHelp.txt

But you can see it there. So they dont need to be in the boot.plist as you are just telling chameleon something that it do from default.

you dont need any kexts for the lan to work.. you just need the lan to be it self.. as i did tell you.. try to use a windows xp to get the lan card back on track.. i had the same problem after been using ubuntu 9.04..

And shoarthing xcode together with ioregexplorer IS on the dvd.. it is under optional installs when you add the dvd.. then you just run the xcode pkg...

XCode have always been on the osx dvd.. it have been removed on the dirstos to make them single layer.. But on the retail all the way from atleast 10.3 that i know have had xcode under optional installs.

And all the values you have in your boot.plist that say no are not usefull.. The values you say no to have no as default.. That you would know if you have read the Readme from the chameleon doc.

BootHelp.txt

But you can see it there. So they dont need to be in the boot.plist as you are just telling chameleon something that it do from default.

You're right, Mushishi. I installed Windows XP on an external eSATA drive with the latest nForce chipset driver. When I switched back to OSX, the network suddenly worked! Isn't that amazing? But I really wonder what nasty things Ubuntu 9.04 has done to the Network card!

Now my Zotac OSX86 system is up and running. I'm going to play with it for a couple of days to see if it works well. The next step is to try this on another MCP79/A a.k.a ION based system that I have. I will post the result here later.

wrc4 i really dont know why that happens.. but that factor and the one that the 10.6.2 kernel dont like the atom cpu makes me thinking about getting a socket 775 mobo with the nforce 9300/9400 chipset and then a c2d or a socket 775 xeon.. :rolleyes:

wrc4 i really dont know why that happens.. but that factor and the one that the 10.6.2 kernel dont like the atom cpu makes me thinking about getting a socket 775 mobo with the nforce 9300/9400 chipset and then a c2d or a socket 775 xeon.. :rolleyes:

Hello, I have the Zotac ION 330 working with snow leopard 10.6.1 but itunes and flash crash instantantly.

I don't know why but my motherboard don't work with leopard.

Can anybody upload her Extra Folder and extension used for this mobo and bios configuration.

(mine: OC 2Ghz, USB legacy enable, HT disable)

Now my Zotac OSX86 system is up and running. I'm going to play with it for a couple of days to see if it works well. The next step is to try this on another MCP79/A a.k.a ION based system that I have. I will post the result here later.
. . . glad to hear it is all running now: which make/model is your other ION setup?

wrc4 i really dont know why that happens.. but that factor and the one that the 10.6.2 kernel dont like the atom cpu makes me thinking about getting a socket 775 mobo with the nforce 9300/9400 chipset and then a c2d or a socket 775 xeon.. :wacko:

You know I really like those ITX form factor Motherboards and Cases. Right now I'm using an Aopen S120 case with the Zotac board. The cooling is OK with what's available with the board and the case. But I'm not sure if the cooling will be sufficient if you use a Desktop CPU because the TDP will be around 65W comparing to Atom's 8W. In that case you may have to use a larger case.

Hello, I have the Zotac ION 330 working with snow leopard 10.6.1 but itunes and flash crash instantantly.

Can anybody upload her Extra Folder and extension used for this mobo and bios configuration.

. . . do you have a fan on the heatsink?

Yes @ 5V with molex adaptator.
. . . OK: so you can run the thing @ 90~100% CPU for prolonged periods using, say, handbrake? - you're *sure* it isn't a basic h/w stability issue?

I'm running the included Zotac 60x10mm fan @ 7v - the fan wasn't starting 100% reliably at 5v

When overclocked to 2GHz & without a functioning fan, the heatsink didn't stabilise below 90c [i have a dual-ch lab-quality 'T' type thermocouple to measure this stuff] . . . ie it wasn't stable for realworld use, run passive at 2GHz

[Edit] . . what are you using for sound?

In /Extra I have these:

-The same com.app.Boot.plist as shoarthing's;

-The same smbios.plist as posted earlier in this thread.

-DSDT.aml that shoarthing customized for me.

In /Extra/Extensions I have:

-fakesmc.kext

-NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

-OpenHaltRestart.kext

-NVEnabler 64.kext

-ALC662.kext,

All downloaded from the Internet. (Well, ALC662.lext was from shoarthing).

In BIOS:

-USB Legacy Disabled

-HT Disabled

-AHCI for SATA

That's it.

hi wrc4

i have Fiono 330

can you email /extra and /Extra/Extensions files to me ?

thanks

yzhaoo@gmail.com

In /Extra I have these:

-The same com.app.Boot.plist as shoarthing's;

-The same smbios.plist as posted earlier in this thread.

-DSDT.aml that shoarthing customized for me.

In /Extra/Extensions I have:

-fakesmc.kext

-NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

-OpenHaltRestart.kext

-NVEnabler 64.kext

-ALC662.kext,

All downloaded from the Internet. (Well, ALC662.lext was from shoarthing).

In BIOS:

-USB Legacy Disabled

-HT Disabled

-AHCI for SATA

That's it.

It's this one made by a Taiwan company. http://www.funtwist.com/web_e/html/03_prod...nt.aspx?PID=447

I left it in my office so I don't have access to it at the moment.

. . what a neat little box [if not as wonderfully compact as Nvidia's pico-ITX reference platform] - pity it lacks mini-pcie. I had the Asrock ION 330 for a while; but tho' a very easy OSX86 install [except for onboard sound] it was unpleasantly noisy even at its 'ultra-quiet' fan setting.

. . . my present setup is inaudible at 1m

Thx wrc4, I hva fixed all my problem thanks to shoarthing and modbin kernel test 7 (with HT enable)
. . glad it works for you:

Edit 5 Nov 2009 - moving info to a Zotac-specific thread

hi wrc4

i have Fiono 330

can you email /extra and /Extra/Extensions files to me ?

thanks

yzhaoo@gmail.com

As soon as I get it up and running I will post the details here. But right now, the same install drive that I used for Zotac doesn't work for this board - CPU panic. It looks like the kexts in /Extra/Extensions didn't get loaded.

Then I switched back to the Extensions.mkext file from LifeHacker's method and was able to get to the OSX install GUI (which means all the loading should have passed) and stuck there. I tried to unpack that mkext to see what's in there, but KextUtility 2.3.2 reported an error unpacking the file!

EDIT: I guess the board (since it comes from an unknown, possibly small vendor) has a really coarse DSDT in BIOS and may need the CPU aliases treatment or something. I'm going to extract the DSDT with a Linux LiveCD but I want to try something different than Ubuntu 9.04 since it could mess up the nForce Network Card. Maybe Ubuntu 9.10?