[Guide] GA-EP45-UD3 retail install guide!

Scottapotamas

Gigabyte Boards  

442 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a Gigabyte board(s)???

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is it a EP45, EP45C or EP45T board?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. What are you using it for/ how did you install???

• I use Windows or linux of some description
    • I use Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) or 10.4 (Tiger)
    • I installed OSX using a distro... (iPC, iAtkos, Kalyway etc)
    • I installed a retail setup. (Guide below or other guide) (or made it up as I went along)
    • I am still installing

171 posts in this topic

ok so i started the install and it will start to do it then it tells me to restart. and when i restart i boot off the HDD instead of DVD, ill get apple logo that loads, then it goes to a gray screen that does nothing except the mouse cursor is on the screen and it moves...but thats about it

@ Puteradq About this mac does not matter. It is an asthetic thing only. System profiler is though, as some software and ardware will work better, or not at all, and changes the software updates you get, like the macbook updates.

@JoeSpit

ok so i started the install and it will start to do it then it tells me to restart. and when i restart i boot off the HDD instead of DVD, ill get apple logo that loads, then it goes to a gray screen that does nothing except the mouse cursor is on the screen and it moves...but thats about it

You are booting off of the dvd until you install a bootloader right. If you try to boot from the Harddrive after the install, it won;t work because you have no bootloader

@ Puteradq About this mac does not matter. It is an asthetic thing only. System profiler is though, as some software and ardware will work better, or not at all, and changes the software updates you get, like the macbook updates.

@JoeSpit

You are booting off of the dvd until you install a bootloader right. If you try to boot from the Harddrive after the install, it won;t work because you have no bootloader

Yes I am booting off boot loader every time. When I do inital install though the install will get to about 80% and then a box will pop up with different languages saying that i have to force reboot. I never get to the green check mark. Then if I boot off DVD it does the install all over again with same results and if a boot off HDD it will just boot to a gray screen with cursor control and stay at that. I have partitioned it GUI and all but to no avail.

Yes I am booting off boot loader every time. When I do inital install though the install will get to about 80% and then a box will pop up with different languages saying that i have to force reboot. I never get to the green check mark. Then if I boot off DVD it does the install all over again with same results and if a boot off HDD it will just boot to a gray screen with cursor control and stay at that. I have partitioned it GUI and all but to no avail.

Also any and every patched OSX I use does not work even with boot loader. I'll try and load it and it will give me an error message and I have used just about everyone out there (iPC, iDeneb, etc)

From the sound of it, you are getting a kernel panic during the install. It will never get to the green check mark on a retail install, when it gets to around 98% or so, it gives a yellow triangle saying that it has failed. This is just because the bootloader cannot install. You don't get to that point though, which means that something is stopping it. Can you boot in safe mode with verbose???

I have another boot132 cd for increased stability and compatibility thats nearly done... If you can wait a few days ill have it up, it could prove a better cd for you.

From the sound of it, you are getting a kernel panic during the install. It will never get to the green check mark on a retail install, when it gets to around 98% or so, it gives a yellow triangle saying that it has failed. This is just because the bootloader cannot install. You don't get to that point though, which means that something is stopping it. Can you boot in safe mode with verbose???

I have another boot132 cd for increased stability and compatibility thats nearly done... If you can wait a few days ill have it up, it could prove a better cd for you.

... It's so simple... why didnt I think of that...

What is verbose? also you know why it wont boot bootleg versions either?

... It's so simple... why didnt I think of that...

What is verbose? also you know why it wont boot bootleg versions either?

Well, verbose is when you type -v at the text bootloader, then it gives a text output of everything that happens on startup, albeit a cd or harddrive. So, you can read where it crashes and stops, write down what it says, then do some research. For example, it could say something like

Crash caused by IONetworkingfamily.kext

and 5 dependancies

blah

blah

blah

etc...

This gives us the information needed to diagnose the problem. If you can get that soon enough, i can put the kexts you need into my cd...

Well, verbose is when you type -v at the text bootloader, then it gives a text output of everything that happens on startup, albeit a cd or harddrive. So, you can read where it crashes and stops, write down what it says, then do some research. For example, it could say something like

Crash caused by IONetworkingfamily.kext

and 5 dependancies

blah

blah

blah

etc...

This gives us the information needed to diagnose the problem. If you can get that soon enough, i can put the kexts you need into my cd...

I always run it in "-v" mode but that stuff fly's by really fast.. do i have to snap a pic asap or is there a way where i can read it?

Just like to report that D-Link DWA110 USB Wireless works with the latest Mac driver from their site. Although the product page doesn't say it support Mac, you have to search for the driver. I am using GA EP45T-UD3R, Hope this is useful.

@ puteradq thanks...

@m0ngole as in the FTP or independant link??? The ftp link is outdated, so just follow the redirect link. I haven;t gotten around to changing it. The iso is in the pack... It seems to be working for me...

@ Joe Spit, the Firewire issue happens to loads of people, it doesn't matter one scrap. So you get no other errors, and it just doesn;t work??? There;s a large amount of CDs compiled somewhere. Use the hackintosh search to find them and try the p45 one, you may have more luck. If not, then you could try making a boot132 disk or using slimbuild to make a condensed disk for install (bootloader, kexts, install files)... Can you get any distro to work???

@ puteradq thanks...

@m0ngole as in the FTP or independant link??? The ftp link is outdated, so just follow the redirect link. I haven;t gotten around to changing it. The iso is in the pack... It seems to be working for me...

@ Joe Spit, the Firewire issue happens to loads of people, it doesn't matter one scrap. So you get no other errors, and it just doesn;t work??? There;s a large amount of CDs compiled somewhere. Use the hackintosh search to find them and try the p45 one, you may have more luck. If not, then you could try making a boot132 disk or using slimbuild to make a condensed disk for install (bootloader, kexts, install files)... Can you get any distro to work???

I just tried iAtkos and it works all the wat. thanks for all the help thought!

@sup3r1or You are getting kernel panics because of some kexts on the cd (or lack of to be precise) You need to get a boot132 cd with the following

IONetworkingFamily.kext

IOATA.kext

IOAHCIFamily.kext

or the legacy version of these kexts. I am making a cd with these kexts and a few others in it, however it is still a while off. If you cannot wait, get my kext pack v2, and put all the kexts from the optional and needed kext folders into the cd.

Here are some links to get you started

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=114834

@sup3r1or You are getting kernel panics because of some kexts on the cd (or lack of to be precise) You need to get a boot132 cd with the following

IONetworkingFamily.kext

IOATA.kext

IOAHCIFamily.kext

or the legacy version of these kexts. I am making a cd with these kexts and a few others in it, however it is still a while off. If you cannot wait, get my kext pack v2, and put all the kexts from the optional and needed kext folders into the cd.

Here are some links to get you started

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=114834

Thanks for the help, I think I will wait for you, because I cant use tool for making ISO since its Under MAC OSX and I dont have it installed yet. I also need to learn the tutorial cuz Im new to this thing. Can you PM me when you compile the CD.

By they way do you think THIS ONE will work? I have EP35C-DS3R mobo.

Im having problems with the boot disc. First, There isnt supposed to be a flash screen or anything right?

I think my error is this System config file '/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found

Ive tried searching for this error with no luck, ive tried another boot132, and grub-dfe.iso.

Could this be a problem with my bios setup? Ive switched to an ide dvdrom and tried both with and without sata ahci mode.

Also i burned the boot132.dmg in disk utlities on my laptop mac, i saw it had the required texts already added, could the problem be i need additional ones? Thanks for any and all help!

help i'm having this same exact problem ...

GA-EP45-UD3

SATA DVD rom

SATA Hitachi 250GB

:D

@ Victor Healey ... ummm, that wasn;t up for the OSX86 project and was not neccessary, one of my friends put it up to give to smoeone else... Its down now... Sorry if you caught it

@sup3r1or you can always give it a go... it is for your board after all, so you have a greater chance of success... My new iso contains many of those new kexts anyway, just with little differences here and there...

@theDeviL you have the same board as one of mine... I have no idea why this issue is happening to people, I have had no issues and other people have had no issues either. I am researching into it at the moment... All i can suggest is you keep trying new iso's or make one of your own or wait for my new one...

@theDeviL you have the same board as one of mine... I have no idea why this issue is happening to people, I have had no issues and other people have had no issues either. I am researching into it at the moment... All i can suggest is you keep trying new iso's or make one of your own or wait for my new one...

where your bios settings altered in any way? i've just built the machine so the bios is untouched, but i've tried several obvious things like IDE and AHCI and such.

I've P45-UD3R and confirm that onboard sound works. I used Grub-dfe.iso and booted up perfectly and installed without ANY problems.

Once installed, bootup again with iso CD again, run OSXtools ( this board is not listed, so I ran the closest one, as well as the OSXtools must haves ).

Sound was fixed with ( if you have played around with other kexts, please sudo in and run rm to remove completely)

1. 1.6.2a37 AppleHDA.kext

2. HDAEnabler_for_1057

Nvidia 9800GT also works nicely. This post is just to share that onboard sound does work, no need do get a USB sound thingy

@ I haven't changed any setting in the bios except for the ACHI nad IDE ones... Others are having your issue also. Can you boot into a Distro installer, like kalyway or iAtkos. IF you can do that, then the cd needs something.

@tj Ooi sound has been working for all of us with the exception for Target, who couldn't get it to work. He had special audio equipment and software anyway... Thanks for your confirmation though...

You say the 9800GT works nicely... I am going to upgrade at some stage this week to either a 9800 or a gts250. Does teh 9800GT work flawlessly (QE CL etc...) and what did you have to do to get it working... Did you use an injector or a EFI string. I am trying to find out if it will be the right card for me... Thanks in advance.

@ tessa17 great... I have a v3.0 in mind for some other stuff... Any suggestions or improvements???

No i can say i can think of any right now but what do you have in mind for version 3.0 so far? :angry: