[Guide] GA-EP45-UD3 retail install guide!

Scottapotamas

Gigabyte Boards  

442 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a Gigabyte board(s)???

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is it a EP45, EP45C or EP45T board?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. What are you using it for/ how did you install???

• I use Windows or linux of some description
    • I use Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) or 10.4 (Tiger)
    • I installed OSX using a distro... (iPC, iAtkos, Kalyway etc)
    • I installed a retail setup. (Guide below or other guide) (or made it up as I went along)
    • I am still installing

171 posts in this topic

@Eloquence i just had a look... I found that one a while ago, but didn;t think much of it... It appears that there are a few extra kexts in teh CD which make it work, my guess is it is the AppleVIATTIA.kext, the LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA.kext or BlockStorage.kext and others that are in there... I had the solution all along, just didn't know it. They are in my new CD, which should be up in a day or two, however, I am still having issues getting the CD to an appropriate size for upload and download.

@N30 I have no idea what the difference is. I have the rev 1.1 UD3 as well as others (but that's my main machine) and its fine. I guess it would be a better idea to get the latter revision, as obviously there was something which needed a fix and gigabyte made a new rev... I think that most people would agree that they all work equally as well as each other, but the UD3P has had several boot132 disk booting issues. whereas the others have had no reported cases... The audio chip dosen't matter, but the one thats in my pack is a 889a one, so if you get a 888a you would need to locate an alternative one.

Thanks for the advice, I ordered the UD3, I don't need the raid and the UD3P version was 50 euro's more for some weird reason. The UD3 does have raid btw but only 0 and 1. The P version has raid 5 also. Only gonna use 1 hd have enough space in my main rig. Q9550 and 8gb ram should be fast :D

I will let you know how it goes

Hope some one can help me here,

first of all i an now a proud owner of nvidia 9600 gt 1gb which i upgraded from the x1600 and hd3850 which i could not get to show a picture.

The only problem now is that i can not get pass the 8min mark at install it just tell me to restart. I suspect it is due to my card because i can install just fine on my x1600 card. Is there a code i need to put in after pressing f8.

Edit/ update

I took a chance and changed the way i installed. At first with my x1600 card i would install using the ide burner because sata would not work but now with the nvidia card i am now able to install via sata burner. Really strange because all my settings are the same. The only the difference is the card. Go figure

off my topic but to the person who talked about bios version i think i will go back to f6 or f8 because i can not install ipc not matter what. But i may be just a bad burn.

@ tessa17... You don't need to reinstall leopard to put a new card in... When i upgraded from a 8600GT to a 9800GTX, All I did was remove my graphics card string from the com.apple.Boot.plist remove my dsdt.aml (which i don't have to have) and put the new card in. I booted, then made a custom efi string, and put it onto my bootloader stick, then it worked... I have not tried installing since, so i dont know if it is an issue for me... They are both NVidia, so maybe i don;t have that problem...

@N30.. Great, let us know when its going/when having probs...

Hey guys and Girls, hoping someone can help me out.

I have been able to install and update to 10.5.7 without too many problems (yet) but i just can not get the sound to work. I must have tried at least 10 different things but nothing works, including everything linked to in this thread.

I would be appreciative if someone could steer me in the right direction. I have no doubt that i have done something wrong, but i am out of ideas. MB is a GA-EP45PUD3LR, there must be someone who has been able to get it right.

Cheers,

Boombah

just to confirm, the UD3LR uses 889a ... And you have tried lots of different ones. Are you getting any indication of sound, volume controls, system profiler...

So are you using charmeleon 2.0, then the kexts need to go in the char folder. If not, then the normal extensions folder. If another bootloader, then in its related folder...

if not... then i will need to do some searching around for you...

I do have one... You do not need to have on, I just put my audio into it to stop it breaking after updates...

but it is best to use one that your computer generates. Use a DSDT.aml Generator. There is one in my pack under Uinstaller, then Extras. Run the script and it will make one... Get a better program if you want to add other things...

I can upload one if you want... Just cannot be sure it works.

@ tessa17... You don't need to reinstall leopard to put a new card in... When i upgraded from a 8600GT to a 9800GTX, All I did was remove my graphics card string from the com.apple.Boot.plist remove my dsdt.aml (which i don't have to have) and put the new card in. I booted, then made a custom efi string, and put it onto my bootloader stick, then it worked... I have not tried installing since, so i dont know if it is an issue for me... They are both NVidia, so maybe i don;t have that problem...

Thanks for the reply

I have two install that have leopard one is efi based and the other is chameleon 2. the one that has chameleon v2rc1 is my main install and the other which uses efi v9(10 seems to be beggy) is where i test out things. In my case i had bought an ati 3850 video card but decided to try it last week to upgrade.

However, upon doing so i could not get a screen so like a dummy i tried to reinstall leopard using that card only to find out that the 3600-3800 cards do not work properly in leopard. I tried everything from -x -v -f cpu=1 with very little success.

So then after all that :) i decided to take my last bit of funds to buy a nvidia card, so then i put the nvidia card in on a previous install (hd3850) still no screen so i did a reinstall with that card and viola i have take off. Yeah!!!! I don't think in my case from the gfx cards that i have, like being switched between ati and nvidia.

The only trouble is the install that through a small loop. The crazy thing was that the i always used the ide burner to install leopard but using the nvidia card i had to use the sata burner because it would freeze and tell me to restart.

@Scottapotamas you switched between two nvidia cards and i think that in my case the hd3850 was the cause of all my issues because it has been known not to work with out going through hell to get working properly.

Sorry for the long post but i always like to post my adventures in hopes that it will help someone else.

In any case i now have 2 working installs again. So i am back in business :P:jerry:

I have been able to install and update to 10.5.7 without too many problems (yet) but i just can not get the sound to work. I must have tried at least 10 different things but nothing works, including everything linked to in this thread.

I would be appreciative if someone could steer me in the right direction. I have no doubt that i have done something wrong, but i am out of ideas. MB is a GA-EP45PUD3LR, there must be someone who has been able to get it right.

Cheers,

Boombah

Have you tried using voodoo for sound i remember reading that others use it whether retail install or distro such as ipc or iatkos.

I also have hell installing sound drivers for my board and for some reason i have to use two different versions for my efi and chameleon install.

Hope that you find a fix for your sound if you want i can send you mine to see if that will work. :poster_oops:

hey guys, i need some help please, i get to the point when its installing os, about half way, it tells me that my computer needs to be restarted, "press reset, or hold shutdown", so i do, and load boot 132 again, and select 80, and it just stays on a gray screen, where i can move the mouse but thats it, any ideas? thanks in advance.

hey guys, i need some help please, i get to the point when its installing os, about half way, it tells me that my computer needs to be restarted, "press reset, or hold shutdown", so i do, and load boot 132 again, and select 80, and it just stays on a gray screen, where i can move the mouse but thats it, any ideas? thanks in advance.

what motherboard are you using.. what type of CD and Hd... what vidio card?

This is the same problem i ran into last Friday.

What gfx card are you using and what type of dvd drive are you using ide or sata.

Cheers,

Boombah

Ok going to gigabyte looking up gigabyte motherboards(my favorite) at newegg.com to compare boards to buy so i could build a pc for a friend. While looking at different boards and comparing features i saw that your board is alc888 and not 889 which may help you out with sound. This means that the pcwiz p35 dsxx app may work for you. But Scottapotamas knows more than i do so he could tell you more.

Something else i also do is i collect distros as they come out because they usually have fixes and files that have latter come in handy for me. So if you have a distro like ipc ideneb etc try them out for sound that has come in handy for me in the past. :)

This is the same problem i ran into last Friday.

What gfx card are you using and what type of dvd drive are you using ide or sata.

hi tessa, thanks for replaying, i figured out the problem, it was my dvd drive, i switched it and it installed without a hitch,

but i ran into another problem, when i hit shutdown, it turns off the display, and harddrives, but the fans stay on, someone please help me.

i am using gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3l

hi tessa, thanks for replaying, i figured out the problem, it was my dvd drive, i switched it and it installed without a hitch,

but i ran into another problem, when i hit shutdown, it turns off the display, and hard drives, but the fans stay on, someone please help me.

i am using gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3l

I had to do the same and in my case i had to switch to using sata and not ide. As far as the issue with shutting down did you install the openhaltrestart kext. To tell the truth i have not gotten around to fixing it yet.

I am using iatkos v7 on my laptop and installed the openhaltrestart kext with poweroff fix that at least works good on my lappy. Not sure if it will work but its worth looking into. :rolleyes:

Has anyone updated to 10.5.8 yet? If so what trouble did you have could you please post any problems

One thing i did you is backup all my kext so that i can go back and fix any issues later. :wacko:

From reading the forums everyone is having an issue with system profiler and this can i can confirm. I will post if there is a fix that works but the fix that came out today does not work.

sleep and usb are the complaints as well so be careful :unsure:

@tessa. (and everyone else to a degree).. i tested on my test partition. It works, like normal, reapply the audio. I also have no system profiler, but mine didn't work fantastically in the begining... I get kernel panics relating to a IONET.kext, in one of the families that i added to the pack. It doesn't make any difference though. Sleep I don't use and didn't have working in the first place, so i don't know... USB hard drives and flash disks seem fine, but my 13 in 4 card reader dosen't work, it did before with flash memory appearing as flash drives...

To everyone.... You probably shouldn't update as yet, as the full effects of the update are not yet fully known. Watch this space and the guide for more info as it becomes available. I can confirm that System PRofiler is DEAD with this update as of now... other panics follow suit....

This is correct as of the 7Th of August 9:42 insanely time.

@ jerok openhaltrestart.kext is the fix... without i get your issue, with, a nice fast shutdown.... Sorry about teh late reply.

@people on UD3P boards (and UD3R and LR to a certain extent), possibly others... Lots of you are getting issues with your boards from working properly with the Boot132 disk supplied. When I wrote this guide it was not intended for those boards, and I didn't do as much research into the kexts required for those boards.... Try Weaksauces guide.... However, a word of warning.... That guide is very board specific, and shouldn't really be used on other boards (has custom board kexts)...

and... just to note, I am slowly condensing this topics solutions within these pages into the guide for lazy people... like me! and adding some new stuff.

@tessa. (and everyone else to a degree).. i tested on my test partition. It works, like normal, reapply the audio. I also have no system profiler, but mine didn't work fantastically in the begining... I get kernel panics relating to a IONET.kext, in one of the families that i added to the pack. It doesn't make any difference though. Sleep I don't use and didn't have working in the first place, so i don't know... USB hard drives and flash disks seem fine, but my 13 in 4 card reader dosen't work, it did before with flash memory appearing as flash drives...

To everyone.... You probably shouldn't update as yet, as the full effects of the update are not yet fully known. Watch this space and the guide for more info as it becomes available. I can confirm that System PRofiler is DEAD with this update as of now... other panics follow suit....

This is correct as of the 7Th of August 9:42 insanely time.

@ jerok openhaltrestart.kext is the fix... without i get your issue, with, a nice fast shutdown.... Sorry about teh late reply.

@people on UD3P boards (and UD3R and LR to a certain extent), possibly others... Lots of you are getting issues with your boards from working properly with the Boot132 disk supplied. When I wrote this guide it was not intended for those boards, and I didn't do as much research into the kexts required for those boards.... Try Weaksauces guide.... However, a word of warning.... That guide is very board specific, and shouldn't really be used on other boards (has custom board kexts)...

and... just to note, I am slowly condensing this topics solutions within these pages into the guide for lazy people... like me! and adding some new stuff.

@Scottapotamas

Thanks for replying back i am still watching to see if there are any solutions yet. Sleep to tell the truth i never really cared if it worked or not. I did get a kp in ideneb as it was my test system but was able to fix it using my other install. I did manage to fix system profiler issue by using a patched smbios then reverting back to old vanilla smbios along with my smbios resolver kext.

I also had to reinstall my ioatafamily kext along with appleintelpiixata kext because my system would not starts. Looking into idenebs upgrade kit he had a backup of affected kext. I know that my test system is ideneb but most of the info i am give affected retail users as well. Looking into his kit gave me insight on how to fix my system. ;)

Before i go about updating my system i think i am going to do a test retail install to see how this update affect things. I will report my findings to everyone.

As far as the boot 132 disc you provided. That disc works great for my ud3r. If it is any help there is a ud3p and a big ud3r forum in which someone is constantly updating their kext package. For anyone needing a good boot132 disc a simple search here or in Google will turn up what you need.

Here are some sites that have come in handy in the past ud3r

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=141769

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=174385

This site is always updating its packages when problems arise so i hope this helps and it also help people with similar board.

For ud3p

http://wiki.auzigog.com/Hackintosh_v2_(GA-EP45-UD3P)

ud3lr

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...amp;pid=1181296

p35

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=157772

reason is because p45 are close and this board helped me out when i first started out doing retail installs and has some good file in the package i still use.

So Scottapotamas i hope this helps you and others find kext, fixes and solutions help you out when condensing this guide. As always thanx for keeping us updated with this guide. If you want i have several boot 132 disc and files for different boards i can send them to you some how. So that it may be of some help to you. ;):P

Something else i also do is i collect distros as they come out because they usually have fixes and files that have latter come in handy for me. So if you have a distro like ipc ideneb etc try them out for sound that has come in handy for me in the past. :(

This was excellent advice. I tried to dual boot, stuffed it up and went through the whole process of installing from the start again with the same results. I then tried iAtkos 10.5.7 and everything worked perfectly including the sound.

Thanks

10.5.8 update to retail Chameleon 2 side

Here are my specs

Leopard installed on external drive , ep45 ud3r, q9950, 4gig memory, x1600 video card

using smbios plist, installed the new netkas dsmos kext and disabler kext Back up my /extra folder and s/L/e folder

Updated via software updater to 10.5.8

And here is what happen to me

The system would not start so i had to reboot and boot with -v -x -f and finally it booted

I repaired permissions. I noticed that all my drives were not showing and the ones that was some of them was orange.

For some reason afteer update my sata drives including burners were seen as ide. So i installed ichx fix that is on one of the distros but there is one in the 10.5.8 forum. I used the fix because i am still trying to figure out all of what files control sata.

I also had to reinstall my realtek 8169 kext and my applehda and the hda enabler. Rebooted and all seem to be ok even system profiler is working ok.

My system is noticeably slower.

Not sure if sleep is working and if not it is ok.

I still say updating to 10.5.8 is risky because it seems that a lot of people are having trouble with it and i also hear that intelcpupowermanagement kext is no longer causing problems as it is needed for sleep to work. I am a chicken and to scare to give it a try. If anyone has else has updated and tried that please let us know the if it worked or not.

thanks tessa.... You seem to have gotten the same/very similar result to me. I didn't get the icon issues because my IOBlockstorage.kext is on my usb bootloader and therefore is untouched... Mine was noticeably slower also, but i was running on an external usb 120gb, so it may just be me!

Some kexts that control sata....

AppleVIATTIA.kext

IOFamily kexts (the IONETWORKINGFAMILY, Blockstorage, etc)

and maybe ApplePixiaa.kext. But NO one needs it...

NOTE: If anyone updates, Download the update from the website, so if it screws up, you can rego, you can also unpack and take bits with pacifist and it lets you do more stuff after installing the update. repair permissions after installing but before rebooting....

@Scottapotamas

Actually from reading your post my install is actually very similar to yours because i have my install on my external drive.

Also thanks for the info because i am going to backup those kexts for future installs so that i have them. I knew most of them but not all of them. The applepiixata kext i need because i run in ide mode and not ahci mode. The one thing good about having my system on an external drive is because this update killed my sata drivers.

I usually repair permissions after install but this time like dummy i did not and had to go the back door way to repair my system so learned the hard way. Luckily i back up my kext files before hand so i reinstalled what i needed. :)