[Guide] GA-EP45-UD3 retail install guide!

Scottapotamas

Gigabyte Boards  

442 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a Gigabyte board(s)???

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is it a EP45, EP45C or EP45T board?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. What are you using it for/ how did you install???

• I use Windows or linux of some description
    • I use Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) or 10.4 (Tiger)
    • I installed OSX using a distro... (iPC, iAtkos, Kalyway etc)
    • I installed a retail setup. (Guide below or other guide) (or made it up as I went along)
    • I am still installing

171 posts in this topic

@ armada741 not unless something wont work. IF yuo choose the right options, then it should work fine without any of my drivers

@tessa17 a new boot132 iso, more drivers, plugins and advanced options for Uinstaller, small other packs. MKexts to be placed in bootloaders for increased speed etc

@ armada741 not unless something wont work. IF yuo choose the right options, then it should work fine without any of my drivers

@tessa17 a new boot132 iso, more drivers, plugins and advanced options for Uinstaller, small other packs. MKexts to be placed in bootloaders for increased speed etc

Wow!! that sounds good to me i will look in my / extra folder to see what i have that may be able to help. I also keep a flash drive of kexts so that i will have it when i need it. :D:P

Edit

i, thanks for this guide all is perfect.

I have a little problem.

When my system "SLEEP" out i have some lag but i don't have this lag if i reboot or cold start.

One idee ?

Regards

You say the 9800GT works nicely... I am going to upgrade at some stage this week to either a 9800 or a gts250. Does teh 9800GT work flawlessly (QE CL etc...) and what did you have to do to get it working... Did you use an injector or a EFI string. I am trying to find out if it will be the right card for me... Thanks in advance.

I'm using a Gigabyte 9800GT 1024mb card on my first system listed in my sig. Everything works perfectly. I've tried both with the EFI string and with nvinject. The EFI string works great and allows my system to be 100% vanilla.

could one dual boot using this guide and if so which os is to be installed first?

I agree with mrfatboy, I have several os on my system and when i want to get into any one of them i just press f12 for the boot menu. Only the os i did not use much are on dual boot the rest are not.

Or for one of my leopard installs i used the chameleon 2 and just log into a drive that way which works great for me. Just make sure your hd in which you have leopard is set first (if you have more than 1 hd) :)

@ Victor Healey ... ummm, that wasn;t up for the OSX86 project and was not neccessary, one of my friends put it up to give to smoeone else... Its down now... Sorry if you caught it

@sup3r1or you can always give it a go... it is for your board after all, so you have a greater chance of success... My new iso contains many of those new kexts anyway, just with little differences here and there...

@theDeviL you have the same board as one of mine... I have no idea why this issue is happening to people, I have had no issues and other people have had no issues either. I am researching into it at the moment... All i can suggest is you keep trying new iso's or make one of your own or wait for my new one...

Hey mate just as an update it didnt work:( the one what for my mobo. Gave me the same error even though the iso I got said to have following kexts

How is the progress on your ISO going?

@sup3r1or almost finished... But it wont be completely done or up for another few weeks... Im moving house and internet is quite rare... When I am in however it should be up... I suggest trying as many as possible on a RW CD...

@ mrfatboy +1 the easiest and safest way. If you want a graphical option with no key pressing though, try either charmeleon 2 or bootthink 2

@ BJMoose Thanks... I got a gigabyte 9800GT (the last one in stock) and made a custom efi string for it... Works great!

@Everyone I am away from home/moving, so won;t be able to respond as fast as normal if at all, at least for a few weeks (3 at the most) By then I should have made the v3 pack whilst offline and the cd...

Edit

i, thanks for this guide all is perfect.

I have a little problem.

When my system "SLEEP" out i have some lag but i don't have this lag if i reboot or cold start.

One idee ?

Regards

OKI, sleep problem comes from Paragon NTFS 7.0.

i desintall it and my Hackintosh sleep out normally.

Thanks

PS : Sorry for my google's translation

Hey!...

Trying to get the osx to install using this guide, but it stops a bit in to the installation,

Complaining about "The installer could not validate the contents of the 'BSD' package."

I have tryed my best to do searches on google but come up with nothing, i have replaced what i thought

could be in-copatible memories, but still no luck .

The original setup was 4gb corsair cm2x1024 xms2 extreme memories (ddr2) and now

i used "noname" ddr2 2gb mems, but still the same fault, im using a core2 quad q8200 cpu.

Have anyone seen this before???.... im stuck . and it f*cking sucks =)

@ karlblau I have never experienced that issue, or read it about it either.... You have been using normal google or the hackintosh google... They give different results... Also... The insanelymac search tool has been fixed... So that will search this forum properly now.. Can you boot a distrobution???

Updated 6th July to include BootThink guide and steps involved. Can be used over the top of other bootloaders, but optimum result is over a completely vanilla system.

Updated 15th May to include 10.5.7 update...

If just upgrading, see bottom of guide.

This is a guide to installing a retail copy of leopard, onto a computer with a GA-EP45-UD3 motherboard or (presumably) similar gigabyte board. e.g. EP45-UD3L, UD3LR, UD3R etc. The method can be used, with some changes, for other boards!

READ THIS ENTIRE GUIDE BEFORE YOU START ANYTHING... WHEN INSTALLING, HAVE A PRINTOUT OR 2ND COMPUTER WITH THE GUIDE!!!

I have noticed how few proper guides there are for my motherboard. There is only one other thread (that I can find) which deals with the install/post install process, and that guide was brief. So I decided to share the "experience" with everyone else. Other people around 'here' have said this board is a nightmare, but it was really easy for me. This is because everyone's hardware is different, and therefore, will react differently to the install process...

This guide will give instructions to install a retail 10.5 disk then update to 10.5.7 and then make it bootable and perfect *perfect setup required*. The install is also updateable from apple!

What you need!

A GA-EP45-UD3 or variant motherboard, this method works also on GA-EP45-UD3L , GA-EP45-UD3LR and GA-EP45-UD3P boards. The following motherboards are the variant boards, and should also work...

GA-EP45-UD3 (works well)

GA-EP45-DQ6

GA-EP45-DS5

GA-EP45T-EXTREME

GA-EP45-EXTREME

GA-EP45-DS4P

GA-EP45-DS4 (works well)

GA-EP45T-DS3R

GA-EP45T-DS3

GA-EP45-DS3P

GA-EP45-DS3R (works well)

GA-EP45-DS3 (works well)

GA-EP45C-DS3R

GA-EP45C-DS3

GA-EP45-DS3L (works well)

GA-EP45-DS3LR

GA-EP45-UD3P (works well)

GA-EP45-UD3R (works well)

GA-EP45C-UD3R

GA-EP45T-UD3P

GA-EP45T-UD3R

GA-EP45-UD3L

GA-EP45-UD3LR

GA-EP45T-UD3LR

A intel dual core processor (or better) is strongly recommended! I don't know about AMD and single core processors are a pain to get working. If you don't have one, then you would need to try something like the Munky Method... Available elsewhere or use a common run of the mill distro.

A retail leopard disk like a 10.5 or 10.5.6 retail disk or box set. I don't think 10.5.7 ones are out yet, if ever)... I recommend buying it!

The Apple 10.5.7 combo update (kinda optional, if you don't want to download it or want a older version of leopard) if the retail disk is not a 10.5.7 disk.

This can be downloaded either through software update in mac, or with link below. I recommend downloading it with link, as it allows you to keep the file if the mac dies, saving another 730MB download.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/appl...omboupdate.html

Files you Need.... My EP45-UD3 package which contains most necessary kexts and optional kexts. AND INSTALLERS, the supplied kexts may vary for board, but this few will be the bare basic.

Everything is available at my FTP in a nice zip file currently weighing in a 18MB.

http://users.adam.com.au/rapsons/

The optional BootThink Bootloader and guide i Have written are up there also. weighing in a 12MB.

see link below for guide.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=173746

My Boot 123 iso (found in pack with kexts), which is required to boot the retail disk and contains the following:

AppleDecrypt.kext

Disabler.kext

JMicronATA.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

Note 1: This may not work for you! You may need to add to this. eg, If you need a PS2 kext for a laptop keyboard, then put one in etc...The same applies to video etc,

Note 2:This type of CD is now slightly outdated due to Charmelon 2's new method. I have not tried this and if anyone gets an iso working, please submit it so we can improve the guide. That said, it still gets the job done.

The Guide

1. Booted off the supplied boot-132 disk. When prompted, removed the disk and inserted the install disk.

2. With an internal IDE (200GB) ready to use I formatted it in HSF+ Journaled. Sata Drives are supported of course, but the ability to use ATA drives is still there. I found that most Boot-123 disks did not contain this ability!

3. Install OS X. Note: Near the end of the install, it will fail. This is normal, just force reboot to the boot 123 CD, but when prompted, type the dive number eg 81.

4. OS X booted normally, though"bare" with no other kext files or patches and with the ugly default video drivers. To skip the registration process, press cntl+q to quit it.

5. Install the 10.5.7 combo update and other updates like the security updates. *OPTIONAL* but recommended.

6. Reboot, still using the CD as before. Note 2: The start-up will appear normal, but take a while, then randomly reboot. Then boot again using the CD as normal. This is due to the update you probably applied.

7. You should now be using 10.5.7 with the latest updates. Check in System Info for info.

8. Now for the hard part.

You have several options on which boot-loader to use.

Option 1: PCEFI v9, what I used. Basic text interface. PCEFI v10 is also out with support for Snow Leopard which works well on our boards.

Option 2: Charmeleon 1 (the old one) pretty much the same as opt 1...

Option 3: Charmeleon 2. The newest and best in boot-loading and multi-booting. Provides a nice graphical interface that is skinnable, and lets you choose your OS, and can be skinned to appear like bootcamp... (botched my last install, if this happens to you, boot with the CD and install a different bootloader)

OR, the newest, latest and (possibly) greatest bootloader, BOOT THINK

BootThink is a new bootloader, looks exactly like the BootCamp on macs, allows nice installation and has better support for multibooting. Bet results on a USB flash drive, allowing a complete vanilla system. See my guide below for install... This removes the need to install any kexts or bootloaders to the Mac drive, keeping it clean.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=173746

9. Install the desired bootloader (PCEFI with UInstaller provided skip to step 11) (Chameleon 1 and 2 with installer provided )

IF BOOT THINK, SKIP STEPS 10, 11 and 12. Instead, follow link to guide and follow. This guide follows the creation process, installing of Kexts and customisation.

10. (If using PCEFI, SKIP THIS STEP)

If installing the Charmeleon bootloader, double click the icon in the icon and follow the prompts, install in the correct drive! Reboot without the CD! YAY... If that fails, use the CD to boot and try installing again, or a different bootloader.

11. Use UInstaller to install PCEFI v9. IF you do not install Charmeleon as above mentioned.

Reboot without the CD! YAY... If that fails, use the CD to boot and try installing again, or a different bootloader.

12. Use UInstaller (or EFI Studio) to add EFI Strings for your graphics card, apply the time Machine fix, and all the kexts provided in the "Needed Kexts" folder. Set a bootloader timeout and screen res if desired. If there is no string for your Video card or the string dosen't work properly, use NVinject for NVidia Cards and ATInject for ATI cards... You can figure this one out.

13. Reboot. When back at the desktop, everything should be working, sound etc. You most likely have problems with small things... See below for possible solutions.

Other Random Problems and Solutions

If you have random numbers or letters in your "About this Mac" menu, use OSX86Tools to change it! If you want more info to be in the system info, then a edited SMBIOS.plist is needed, I have not as yet experimented with this, but I know that Charmeleon 2 can do this automatically.

If you get kernel panics doing things with large files etc like I did, then you have a mismatched seatbelt.kext and you need to install the seatbelt.kext in the optional kexts folder using kext helper or Uinstaller.

If time machine is complaining about something like 'backup volume could not be found' then the time machine fix should be reapplied. If that fails, install the IONetworkingFamily.kext and needs to be installed like other kexts, with something like kext helper or Uinstaller.

If, for some reason that your hack cannot detect another mac or airport, then installing the Realteak 1000 kext has a good chance of fixing this... Will be in the optional kexts folder soon...

If your sound is not working, as some people have experienced, try the steps at link, or installing the sound kext into the actual Extensions folder if you are/were using Char 2. I will also add the linked 889a kexts in the optional kexts folder.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=128982

The above two solutions from Doug the Impaler, who managed to experience these sound and lan issues. Thanks for your contribution.

Already Installed 10.5.6 or earlier and want to upgrade to the newest 10.5.7??? easy!

Download the update from the Apple Software update or from either the below links:

Combo (10.5.5 or earlier): 730MB

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosx_updates/macosx1057comboupdate.html

Delta (10.5.6): 442MB

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/appl...1057update.html

Install, reboot (it will automatically do this again so don't worry) and you should be on the desktop, probably without sound (like me) simple, reinstall the AppleHDA and ALCInject kexts with something like Kext Helper. Reboot... You should have working sound. That's it.

If you can't get into mac, with various issues etc, try booting with one or more of the following (without quotes) " -x -s -f -v " or use the great boot123 disk to get in and reinstall the bootloader and kexts! Post success or failure as always!

Thanks for reading/using my guide. If this works for you, post success or failure, and if problems arise, search the forum or hackintosh community with the custom goggle search

Ask for solutions to odd problems, and help the people and report what you did to fix issues!

And (for those with limited bandwidth or who only need smaller installers) the individual files and installers (without the kext packs!)

BOOT-123 CD Found at

Search using google for the other utilities, Uinstaller, EFI Studio, OSX86Tools

Thank for this brilliant guide! it really helped me out, btw I have my ethernet installed and working but I can't see the other macs on my network. Hoping that the realtek 1000 kext would help but I don't find them in your package yet. Is there a link where I can download them? Or could you please kindly send it to me? Thanks so much.

Nick

nickyhkg@gmail.com

Thank for this brilliant guide! it really helped me out, btw I have my ethernet installed and working but I can't see the other macs on my network. Hoping that the realtek 1000 kext would help but I don't find them in your package yet. Is there a link where I can download them? Or could you please kindly send it to me? Thanks so much.

Nick

nickyhkg@gmail.com

I have got them in my new pack for upload... I will email it to you in a zip at some stage in the next day or 2...

@ Everyone.. When I have proper internet, and not dodgy CIBO's internet... I will upload the pack (should be soon)

@Chris1976

How do you remove BootThink? I have it installed but I don't like it.

If its the new version, there is a uninstall.script file. If not, then have another bootloader ready, delete the Darwin folder etc that contain the bootloader, then install another. Installing another bootloader over the top could also work.

Im having problems with the boot disc. First, There isnt supposed to be a flash screen or anything right?

I think my error is this System config file '/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found

Ive tried searching for this error with no luck, ive tried another boot132, and grub-dfe.iso.

Could this be a problem with my bios setup? Ive switched to an ide dvdrom and tried both with and without sata ahci mode.

Also i burned the boot132.dmg in disk utlities on my laptop mac, i saw it had the required texts already added, could the problem be i need additional ones? Thanks for any and all help!

Exact same issue on the EP45-UD3P

Tried in IDE / AHCI mode, enabling / disabling everything in the bios (ethernet etc). No luck.

Anyone else manage to fix this?

I have 2 hacky's with the P45-ud3r board. One with f9 and the other f5. The f5 one I got to install iPC 10.5.6 with IDE mode. The F9 I had to use AHCI to make it work. The bios is the only connection I could figure out. But the both work great.

Tried iPC 10.5.6 in IDE mode, didn't work either ;)

Edit: I just swapped out my 4870x2 with a 7900GT, removed my Creative sound card, removed one stick of ram, unplugged most of my HDD's. No effect.

Ok, I just tried with 3 different 132 bootloaders on IDE and AHCI mode.

I managed to force it to boot the OS X DVD by typing in 9f / ef as the hex for the device.

They all get stuck on "still waiting for root device".

This is with bios F5 and the board is revision 1.1.

Grats Eloquence for getting it to work ;)

2 quick questions, I'm about to order the hardware for my hackintosh.

I'm looking at the GA-EP45 series the UD3/UD3L/UD3LR/UD3P. Now I noticed the UD3 has a rev1.0 and 1.1 can't find any difference between the two on the gigabyte website. Is there any real difference or do they both work fine? The UD3 and UD3P have a realtek ALC888 audio chip. And the UD3LR and UD3L have a realtek ALC888 audio chip do they both work or is there a preferred one.

Is there a preferred board or do they all 4 work equally well. Gigabyte really has confusing names I'm used to Asus names :P

The UD3LR is the same as the UD3L except but with RAID. And the UD3P is the same a the UD3 but with 2 video card slots insted of 1 and RAID.