Dell XPS 1340 mostly working with OSX 10.5.6,10.5.7

bcc9

514 posts in this topic

i am wondering if anybody is having the same problem with dual view through vga port.

when i connect it to a tv... i get no display. the primary display shuts down and the tv display doesn't show anything. does anybody know the solution?

i am wondering if anybody is having the same problem with dual view through vga port.

when i connect it to a tv... i get no display. the primary display shuts down and the tv display doesn't show anything. does anybody know the solution?

You tried other connection type? When im @ home, ill try vga with an older tft-display. :-)

You tried to connect the second display after booting? Cause ive the problem when i connect my second display over display-port osx wont start, it freezes before showing gui with a blue screen, maybe thats the same Problem youve?!?! Try to connect in running osx phase.

bcc9, does 10.5.7 applehda works? Had you tried? same results as .5.6?
shumik wrote that it worked. I won't have time to try 10.5.7 (or anything involved) myself 'till the end of the month.

Yes I have the exact same problem ! It's not a solution but you are not the only one.

The problem occured when plugging VGA while OSX running, and also when plugged before boot.

Has anybody tried dual display with the HDMI port as well ?

You tried other connection type? When im @ home, ill try vga with an older tft-display. :-)

You tried to connect the second display after booting? Cause ive the problem when i connect my second display over display-port osx wont start, it freezes before showing gui with a blue screen, maybe thats the same Problem youve?!?! Try to connect in running osx phase.

I didn't try hdmi, because i thought it doesnt work anyway. am i not wrong? i only tried VGA on two TV's and no results. Also I do it after booting up, not during or before. It doesn't work for me in any of the ways ;) . No positive changes after updating to 10.5.7, either.

I dont know how far the audio progress is right now (I read through this thread a couple of days ago) but I have found this interesting bit in Dell Manual for this notebook (see picture attached).

The mic input is actually being used also as an output when using 5.1?

post-35371-1242671591_thumb.png

I've tried every possible way to install my 9400M driver but failed!!

My Mac hangs on boot each time I make this EFI string method with OSX86utils

I'd to re-install iDeneb each time it hangs, and try the whole process again ;)

Please guys I need a way to enable my 9400M full power cause Keynote keeps telling me Low Graphic Card VRAM when running a slideshow, so I couldn't run any slideshow//

Guys ur help is really needed,

Thanks a lot for your support

Did you changed IOPCIFamily.kext?

edit:

I just noticed something interesting for the 9500M under Windows. When activating hybrid sli, the system uses a 2nd display. In fact, when you open the "change resolution" window, you can see the 2 monitors, but you can just control monitor 2. Maybe this is a lead of why it isnt working.

I tried the following:

1- Added the EFI using OSX86util

2- Added the OPCIFamily.kext using OSX86util

-----

Also I've noticed that chameleon uses another com.apple.Boot.plist located in /Extra, so I've copied com.apple.Boot.plist in the SystemPreferences folder to the /Extra... But Still I got the same problem :S it freezes while booting.. specifically it says "Starting" then freezes when in the verbose mode..

Please guys help me.. or someone please tell me step by step method how he got it to work may be I missed something...

after updating to osx version 10.5.7 i had no sound, so i reinstalled AppleHDA.kext, woundering as it worked without installing HDAEnabler.kext. With 10.5.6 i had no sound without HDAEnabler.kext.

So HDAEnabler.kext isnt necessary when updating to 10.5.7

I also ordered Dell 1510n Wireless Card, still hope that wlan still works with this sollution.

Is the 1515n Wlan Card better than 1510 in the specifications?!?! Maybe i use the 1510 till 1515 works with osx, cause on the atheros webpage they mentioned that this card is supports osx.

Did you changed IOPCIFamily.kext?

edit:

I just noticed something interesting for the 9500M under Windows. When activating hybrid sli, the system uses a 2nd display. In fact, when you open the "change resolution" window, you can see the 2 monitors, but you can just control monitor 2. Maybe this is a lead of why it isnt working.

That actually makes sense seeing as how Hybrid SLI is actually toggling between two physical GPU's. Windows displays them as two cards. A high voltage/heat GPU and a low temp GPU, both of which are visible under the heatsink (not one GPU in two different power modes). Another thing about hybrid is that it isn't all driver. XP didn't even fully support it (despite a Hybrid driver) until SP3. Additionally, it is the ATI catalyst service that is driving the switch, not the OS. If you remove the NVidia services, Hybrid doesn't toggle. If BIOS was managing the switch, it should occur if enabled in BIOS despite the service.

Windows also remembers their refresh-rates, res settings and theme/acceleration settings independently, treating them as different devices. I don't think OS X will have something comparable without a management service of some kind directing the OS to use a different device and driver. Something like when you press Function + [Monitor] on a Dell to tell the hardware to toggle off the laptop display and output through the VGA port (not displaying concurrently).

There may be better luck trying to modify a driver for another working Hybrid card, instead of building on the 8400GS, which was a single GPU driver/device. I don't do original Apple hardware so I don't know what cards did hybrid power fully supported.

Bcc9; I would be willing to give you VNC to my config if you want to play with the 9200 device path. If my girl buys a used m1210 like she plans to, I should be able to also provide you with a Dell with a working BAT0 device. I know you are busy, but I don't think anyone is sick enough to mess with this stuff.

I've tried every possible way to install my 9400M driver but failed!!

My Mac hangs on boot each time I make this EFI string method with OSX86utils

I'd to re-install iDeneb each time it hangs, and try the whole process again :blink:

Please guys I need a way to enable my 9400M full power cause Keynote keeps telling me Low Graphic Card VRAM when running a slideshow, so I couldn't run any slideshow//

Guys ur help is really needed,

Thanks a lot for your support

Boot Verbosely;

When in OS, run Terminal and type

sudo dmesg

Provide password, and look for a message referring to video. My guess is you have the wrong driver. Proper res should work with just the EFIString, the IO kext only enables quartz.

I posted a driver bundle a few post back which had the driver with the fixed string for the Device name: ie. 9500M

shumik wrote that it worked. I won't have time to try 10.5.7 (or anything involved) myself 'till the end of the month.

Audio in 10.5.7 works. However, I have to reboot 2-3 times to get it (In 10.5.6 for the short time I had it... I didn't have to)

Thnx Gambit642 But..

I'm having a nVidia 9400M Graphics Card not 9500M..

+ I just tried ur bundle, but now my mouse and keyboard doesn't work... Keyboard just keep pressing on a key all the time. I could notice that in the login's password field when I boot in safe mode.

Anyway I wasn't having problems with my mouse and keyboard initially .. My biggest concern now is with my Graphics Card..

Thnx again for ur interest, hope u can lead me to solve the problem..

i just tried HDMI - and that doesnt work either. it detects something, coz as soon as i plug in the cable, the screen fades and prepares for dual screens, u know like it usually does. but it never goes to the second monitor. this is a bummer!

and one more thing, i discovered that chameleon 2.0 rc1 breaks voodoops2controller, coz it doesnt work with that bootloader. PC EFI v9 1.0.12 works fine, but the fsb is detected as 533 (any word on this?). ram speeds are detected properly. with cham.2.0rc1 the fsb is right, but ram speeds are 667.

im using ideneb1.4 10.5.6

everything else mentioned on this guide by bcc9 works as he has explained. >> thanks!

im afraid, i have to go back to windows...what a sad day.

Actually, i have chameleon 2.0 and voodoops2controller without a problem. and.. Shedo is the same thing..dont worry ¬¬..its just the name.........The string will actually install the 9400M graphic card!

:'( Couldn't solve it..:S

it hangs at "/usr/sbin/ocspd[75]: starting"

I tried every method u've mentioned..!!

Am using iDeneb v1.4 with just Chipset mcp67 & Kernel Voodoo 9.5.0 chosen..

My laptop's specification: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 with NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

I just need a way to get around this problem pleaaase, and if possible anyway to recover the com.apple.boot.plist instead of reinstalling the system each time//

Come on guys, most of you got it working... I need it too :) Please Help..

I just need a way to get around this problem pleaaase, and if possible anyway to recover the com.apple.boot.plist instead of reinstalling the system each time//

Come on guys, most of you got it working... I need it too :unsure: Please Help..

Dude, follow the tut in the 1st post. You can't use other distro's and expect us to know what is causing your issues.

XxX 10.5.6, default checkboxes !! (DONT add additional kernels, drivers, or bootloaders (You don't need AppleNForceATA.kext either). Use the defaults! )

After install is complete, you provide the drivers that Bcc9 has in the first post, or my 1340 Driver Bundle link on page 9.

Bcc9 even said that many of the other distro's had problems.

For installation I recommend the XxX 10.5.6 distribution, as it's the only distribution I could find that handled booting off of nvidia sata devices.

FYI All;

Found the cause for the common SATA boot failures. As we discussed, our MCP79 SATA controller is provided by AppleAHCIPort.kext. In 10.5.3 a new revision of IOAHCIFamily.kext conflicted with AppleAHCIPort.kext, causing it to complain about compatible dependencies. AppleAHCIPort.kext doesn't load and you get your failed boot.

I found that most of the distro's have an "AHCI Fix" checkbox in the OS X installer which resolves this issue and allows our beloved AppleAHCIPort.kext to load.

Congrats, we can now boot on other distro's!

I found details on this issue here:

AHCI fix after 10.5.3 update

Actually, i have chameleon 2.0 and voodoops2controller without a problem. and.. Shedo is the same thing..dont worry ¬¬..its just the name.........The string will actually install the 9400M graphic card!

Yo, you got another response from SuperHai on his forum.

Come on guys, most of you got it working... I need it too :) Please Help..

if ur using ideneb 1.4 leave everything as it is, dont select any kernel or any chipset drivers. only thing i changed was to select the stock 10.5.6 ACPI under essentials, and ps2 for acpi 10.5.6. that should work for you.

No. A quick skim of the (long) bug list makes me think that nobody has put effort into supporting the sigmatel-based codecs and so it won't yet work. Please try the latest bits and report back :)

i tried and it is still messed up. distorted audio!

I've got a Dell Studio XPS 1340; P8600 2.4GH, 4GB DDR3, nVidia M9400 Integrated. Everything else is the same as the others. Following the instructions here I got XxX OS X to run smoothly, notwithstanding the known issues. The wireless of course not working - tempted to buy the 1510 but probably not going to. Audio works but shutdown does not power down the system (also known issue). I tried the solution with HDAEnabler.kext, but it killed the audio but shutdown did work. So I guess I have to choose what I want - unless someone has both working and could point me in the right direction.

I also in stalled Warcraft 3 ROC and TFT everything works fine but when I join or host a game on Battlenet and or single mode the screen hangs at "Loading". Then I have to hard boot, which sucks.

Thanks again for the great guide.

So, with 10.5.7 my truemobile 1395 disappeared from the OS (yes, I know no one else with a 1340 has one... yet). It shows it in the menu next to the clock, but it says its off. Whenever i try to turn it on.... it remains off...

I figured if I switched PCI express slots it would work.... so I decided to swap it with the Bluetooth card. It appears as if my bluetooth card has a stripped screw holding it in. Anyone have any ideas how to get working?

Thanks!