Dell XPS 1340 mostly working with OSX 10.5.6,10.5.7

bcc9

514 posts in this topic

Hi bcc9, well I forced the dsdt, and i got battery but the AC adapter is detected all the time, also...i forced the adapter not to be detected and now it detects the battery full all the time! LOL but it do detects its a 4400mah battery :P..Im getting through..=)

Cheers

Hi bcc9, well I forced the dsdt, and i got battery but the AC adapter is detected all the time, also...i forced the adapter not to be detected and now it detects the battery full all the time! LOL but it do detects its a 4400mah battery :P ..Im getting through..=)

Cheers

You aren't seeing any state changes because the ACPI event controller's driver is not running.

Also I don't believe you need to do anything to DSDT as linux is able to read the battery state just fine thru ACPI with the existing DSDT config.

I can try on my T9800. Would that feedback help you?
Yes, I've only seen feedback from pmcnano and he has the same p8600 as I. Since there were reports that the p9600 didn't work at all with the GenericCPUPowerManagement it'd be good to double check that voodoopower works with the newer processors with newer steppings. (I didn't think dell offered a t9800 option for the xps 13?)

It'd be good to double check that voodoopower works with the newer processors with newer steppings.

About 1.6GHz Idle

idled.jpg

Lil help from Fusion (2.93GHz):

turbocharged.jpg

(I didn't think dell offered a t9800 option for the xps 13?)

They don't. I had to seek other means.

bcc9, mh lol curious..now i dont have ACPIEC thing like you said, THOUGH nawcom says acpiec is for real macs...so?..I dont think it has something to do with all this. Still waiting to talk with nawcom I guess I'll have to wait! =P

You aren't seeing any state changes because the ACPI event controller's driver is not running.

My behavior has changed, and I'm not sure why. I WAS noticing for the past couple of days, the same thing that:

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleACPIEC.kext

was not loading but VoodooBattery kext was.

Now AppleACPIEC.kext is loaded as part of boot, but I am not seeing battery options in Preferences, even though VoodooBattery is also loaded.

After login, I can see the battery icon flash for less than a second, it is then replaced by the Sound icon almost instantly. One thing worth mentioning is that the brief flash of the icon is reflecting the correct state of the power-plug...not the (X) it was doing before. I can see the lighting bolt if plugged in, and an empty battery when unplugged (i'm assuming its empty because the icon is gone before ACPI can retrieve the ETA). I tried to take snapshots of it, but Shift-CTR-3 doesn't work until the desktop items and everything are loaded (not to mention, holding the Shift key while the VoodooPS2Controller driver is loading causes both buttons of the mouse to operate as a righ-click until a restart). I can get away with a quick logoff and login again to see the battery icon for another split second. I am still not sure why none of my battery related checkboxes and powersettings aren't in Preferences with either the modified PowerBundle or Voodoo battery, in addition to my battery icon not sticking around.

bcc9, mh lol curious..now i dont have ACPIEC thing like you said, THOUGH nawcom says acpiec is for real macs...so?..I dont think it has something to do with all this. Still waiting to talk with nawcom I guess I'll have to wait! =P

FYI:

You can navigate to

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/Plugins/

and kextload AppleACPIEC.kext

It appeared to be the only plugin not being loaded before

Thanks, looks like everything is working with the newer stepping/E0 revision. Updating the first post...

They don't. I had to seek other means.
Wow, an extra 10W of power use on a laptop that already runs hot :)

Wow, an extra 10W of power use on a laptop that already runs hot :)

Some hi conductivity thermal paste, scrape off those garbage thermal pads that Dell uses. Never had any heat related issues. I even have SODIMM heat spreaders, didn't even have to use them. The paste is must though, even if no after-market proc.

lol Gambit642, sorry I wasnt clear, by "i dont have ACPIEC.kext" i meant..loaded! ^^.....anyway still waiting for nawcom reply. He is confident that we have a problem with ACPI in the dsdt table. Are you both using debug version? What does it says in verbose?

Cheers

edit: btw my hdmi-out is not working under osx.

If the stock ACPIEC is only for real macs, then what kext is supposed to relay ACPI events to voodoobattery? Also this notebook has the very same SMBus controller as the real unibody macbook, so you'd think this system could use the "real" kexts even if other hackintoshes cannot. (As is the situation for the graphics hardware).

Well but i did a quick look to the mbp dsdt..and its pretty different..so..I dont know D:......
Right, those differences might explain why the stock event controller is not loading properly, but still leaves me wondering why the ACPI event controller & dynamic battery stats work fine under linux with the stock DSDT. And also how is voodoobattery working on other hackintoshes without dsdt mods.

Well every computer is different.....and its dsdt table is differnt. But yea i dont know why acpi tables work under linux/windows and doesnt seem to work under osx. Like I said, it seems that nawcom spotted a problem under the dsdt. He's afk so..i cant do anything for now.

Right, those differences might explain why the stock event controller is not loading properly, but still leaves me wondering why the ACPI event controller & dynamic battery stats work fine under linux with the stock DSDT. And also how is voodoobattery working on other hackintoshes without dsdt mods.

More importantly, those dstl tables are static variables. We are missing a service which monitors realtime events.

I have news for you guys!!!!!!............:D:D:D:D.....

We are on our own....lol

DSDT editing is a pain. Maybe you can use the same DSDT entries for battery as on other new DELL laptops that have this working.

Anyway, I have no plans to change the kext for this.

by Superhai....

lmao...

More importantly, those dstl tables are static variables.
Well actually the dsdt has method objects, not just variables, and OSes can override the tables. I agree with superhai that it'd be a pain to edit, not to mention a maintenance nightmare as dell keeps changing the bios. Shouldn't be necessary anyways as linux is able to get the acpi events without any dsdt changes.
We are missing a service which monitors realtime events.
Like an acpi event controller perhaps? Where have I heard that? :D

hi everyone. i finally got everything working. i just downloaded XxX and it pretty much solved all the problems. :D leo4all was a deadend.

everything works now, after following these instructions. sound works. speedstep works. video works.

there was one problem during the installation of video plist - chameleon loader got corrupted so i no longer had my dual boot menu. so i just downloaded chameleon 2.0 rc1 from the internet, installed it and it fixed the problem.

the only thing i wish really worked now is 1515 lan :-(((((( i have no adapters compatible, and certainly i dont want to buy one just for this purpose. i guess i will have to wait.

also it would really be nice for the battery to work.

once again, thanks for this post!

Hi, I'm a bit of a newb here. I installed Leopard 10.5.6 already using iDeneb before I ran across this thread. It's seems to be working for the most part, so I'd like to just leave it, but I'm trying to use your steps to get the video card and audio working on my 1340.

When I use OSx86Tools to try to add the EFI string, it tells me that some directory doesn't exist and throws a script error. Do I need to install Chameleon or another PC EFI so that this will work?

I've already used fdisk to set my boot flag and set up the dual boot in Vista, so I wanted to avoid setting up EFI because I read on some other forum/post that having EFI set up and the fdisk flags would cause conflicts. The author of this post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=73952

wrote:

Reminder:*Do not mess with boot flags with parted magic gparted or anything. EFI uses different little partitions to boot if you noticed there are 2 "Unallocated Space" that is really were all the EFI stuff and GUID things are held DONT MESS WITH THEM!*

What should I do, help pls? :)

Hi, I'm a bit of a newb here. I installed Leopard 10.5.6 already using iDeneb before I ran across this thread. It's seems to be working for the most part, so I'd like to just leave it, but I'm trying to use your steps to get the video card and audio working on my 1340.

When I use OSx86Tools to try to add the EFI string, it tells me that some directory doesn't exist and throws a script error. Do I need to install Chameleon or another PC EFI so that this will work?

I've already used fdisk to set my boot flag and set up the dual boot in Vista, so I wanted to avoid setting up EFI because I read on some other forum/post that having EFI set up and the fdisk flags would cause conflicts. The author of this post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=73952

wrote:

Reminder:*Do not mess with boot flags with parted magic gparted or anything. EFI uses different little partitions to boot if you noticed there are 2 "Unallocated Space" that is really were all the EFI stuff and GUID things are held DONT MESS WITH THEM!*

What should I do, help pls? :thumbsup_anim:

I had got dual boot working by using MBR instead of GUID, and EasyBCD. I don't remember having any issues with EFI imports.

I this point I am not sure if it is a problem with ACPI driver or a logic error in Voodoo battery

[Edit]

Well it has to be an ACPI issue because various other Battery monitoring apps fail to detect this info correctly too. I found a terminal based app and tried the old PowerManagement.bundle fix which all reflect the same thing. No battery detected...you are plugged through AC.

A note: If AppleACPIEC.kext isn't loading on startup (which it wasn't for me initially), you can do a kextload on it in the AppleACPIPlatform.kext plugins folder, and it will continue to load successfully automatically in subsequent restarts.

I read some threads about trying Vanilla versions of PowerManagement.Bundle and AppleACPIPlatform.kext. Another note, the versions of these files which were installed from the CD weren't the same size as the Vanilla versions in the 10.5.6 combo updater. I tried the Vanilla version with no success.

When comparing the 10.5.6 AppleACPIPlatform to an older version (i think 10.5.3) I noticed that a plugin called AppleACPIPowerSource.kext is missong. Has this been depricated from the newer AppleACPIPlatform.kext? I believe the old PowerManagement.bundle fix used this plugin to fix the battery status on older versions os OS X.

Last note, I don't think AppleACPIEC.kext is the culprit. The innability to detect a battery or plug-states is not affected if it loaded successfully (without errors) or not loaded at all.

there was one problem during the installation of video plist - chameleon loader got corrupted so i no longer had my dual boot menu. so i just downloaded chameleon 2.0 rc1 from the internet, installed it and it fixed the problem.
I don't know why you'd have this problem; I assume you're having some problem with osx86 tools not working right with your distro. For the EFI string change, you simply need a boot loader that handles EFI combined with the change to com.apple.Boot.plist, your bootloader should not be corrupted. One can of course manually update com.apple.Boot.plist and not use osx86 tools at all
  • Convert plist file to hex file
    ./gfxutil -i xml -o hex combined.plist.txt combined.hex
  • Insert the string from combined.hex into your /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

A detailed example is here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&p=809664

You're welcome!

Well I have no experience with ideneb, and you didn't detail what the error message was, so I don't know. But yes, you do need an EFI capable boot loader of course. If you don't want to switch distributions or troubleshoot that error, then I'd suggest following the manual EFI string instructions I just posted (that doesn't require osx86 tools).

What should I do, help pls? wacko.gif

My OSX disk is partitioned with fdisk, and I actually boot off of a different disk with grub which then chainloads the EFI boot loader that XxX installed. I never had any troubles with OSx86Tools changing the bootloader on me. I also don't have any such "little partitions", just 1 big fdisk allocated partition for all of OSX.

I don't think AppleACPIEC.kext is the culprit. The innability to detect a battery or plug-states is not affected if it loaded successfully (without errors) or not loaded at all.

Disagree. The fact that the battery ACPI entry is detected is independent of whether or not ACPI events are working. The same issue exists for the ACPI LID entry - it is detected but open/close events on the lid are not registered.

This all points back to ACPI events failing to work.

Also I think you're confused about AppleACPIEC.kext loading - even when it does load, it auto-unloads after about a minute, presumably because it fails to initialize properly.

Hi all,

Thank you all for all your work on getting this up and running. Especially you bcc9! Anyway, I've been following this thread as well as the Studio XPS 13 one and I'm glad to see all the process you've all made. I'm kinda new to the whole osx86 thing in general and I've been very nervous to start trying this out, but I think I'm ready to make the jump.

Anyway, because I'm rather new and inexperienced, I was wondering if you the guide on the first page is still applicable and up to date since I know you guys are experiencing different errors on different set ups. I believe I have similar spec to bcc9 so if I follow everything on the front page, will it be the least buggy build?

Thanks for answering my questions! Keep up the hard work.

Also I think you're confused about AppleACPIEC.kext loading - even when it does load, it auto-unloads after about a minute, presumably because it fails to initialize properly.

I was not aware that it was unloading, but it was. Not essentially after any given amount of time. I notice that the very first time (and only the first time) you open System Preferences after a restart, it pretty much guarantees an unload immediately.

As for the DSDT tables, I am having a hard time interpreting the fact that OS X needs a table which is unique to every motherboard (even BIOS versions) to handle standard ACPI events. If this was the sole method of communicating with ACPI, OSX86 wouldn't have working battery support for any notebook which didn't have a custom DSDT. I am assuming there is not way to recieve logging as to why the service is terminating?

Also, AppleNVidiaATA.kext doesn't appear to be necessary. I removed the kext to rule out any drivers, and the OS still starts fine.

hi everyone. i finally got everything working. i just downloaded XxX and it pretty much solved all the problems. :) leo4all was a deadend.

everything works now, after following these instructions. sound works. speedstep works. video works.

the only thing i wish really worked now is 1515 lan :-(((((( i have no adapters compatible, and certainly i dont want to buy one just for this purpose. i guess i will have to wait.

also it would really be nice for the battery to work.

shumik

I installed from the XxX distribution as well, did you install the default or do a custom install? If custom, what packages did you add?

I have tried every which way to install the .plist addition. If I use OSX86Tools, the computer hangs on reboot. If I use the plist Edit pro, it boots fine, but I do see any difference in the video card settings in the system info. The system profiler should display NVidia 9400M, correct? Also, how much memory is listed as allocated when things are working properly (I am still seeing 32 MB)? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, once the bcc9's mods have been made, what screen resoluton do you have? How do I get full 1280x800 instead of 1024x768?

Thank you.

Update: the problem was an issue with the boot loader. I did a fresh install and reinstalled the boot loader, then everything worked fine.

Thank you for the well detailed instructions and the hard work.

Anyway, because I'm rather new and inexperienced, I was wondering if you the guide on the first page is still applicable and up to date since I know you guys are experiencing different errors on different set ups. I believe I have similar spec to bcc9 so if I follow everything on the front page, will it be the least buggy build?
I have tried to keep my first post up to date. I believe I have with the exception of the keyboard instructions. Others claim the dellmini keyboard kext works better than the voodoops2 kext I first recommended. I must be missing something, because I installed the dellmini version of ApplePS2Controller.kext and my touchpad still fails to work after resume from suspend, and my backquote key still generates garbage.

Perhaps someone could post detailed instructions on the dellmini keyboard kext.

If anyone has noticed other items else in my first post that need updating, please chime in.