Dell XPS 1340 mostly working with OSX 10.5.6,10.5.7

bcc9

514 posts in this topic

Meh, I think the laptop gets pretty hot, so to be honest I disconnected the blue wire from the fan controller, now its high speed all the time and waaaaaaay more cooler............

Bcc9, Ill check with cpu-x...also..do you use disabler.kext?

Cheers....

BTW, some users are claiming better CPU temps with the new A06 bios. Not sure whether it's just a placebo effect or what (haven't tried A06 yet myself). I haven't heard of disabler.kext.

BTW, in case it's not clear to Gambit642, yes my fan dynamically changes speed (between off, low&high actually) under OSX.

Didnt know about new bios, maybe has a better powermanagement!...So hey bcc9, mhmhmh You are using CPU-X or MSR Tools? I think that we have speedstep without any kext lol!...Let me confirm...

Later!

ps. Ill check the new bios thing...

edit:

mhmh bcc9, cpu-x doesnt seem to update real time.......and MSR tools..well....nothing either

Didnt know about new bios, maybe has a better powermanagement!...So hey bcc9, mhmhmh You are using CPU-X or MSR Tools? I think that we have speedstep without any kext lol!...Let me confirm...

Later!

ps. Ill check the new bios thing...

edit:

mhmh bcc9, cpu-x doesnt seem to update real time.......and MSR tools..well....nothing either

cpu-x

yes you do need GenericCPUPowerManagement.kext loaded for speedstep

Yes cpu-x does update in real time.

weird..do you have it in Extra Extensions? Or S L E?...It doesnt seem to do anything for me :hysterical:

edit: would be cool if you connect a while to irc.... real-time talk better than this lol...

edit2: about the acpi kexts..they dont unload with me.

Whats up with wlan? I heard that most of Atheros WLAN Modules still work, but not the 1515, is there a chance that this work next time or should i buy an other wlan card for my hackintosh next time?

I just received my 1510 from New Jersey thanks to eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=280331956957

$30 shipped.

Confirmed it works. But you have to disable the hardware antenna control in the BIOS.

Won't work with the Wifi-button control enabled. OS X sees it but always claims its Turned Off.

Meh, I think the laptop gets pretty hot, so to be honest I disconnected the blue wire from the fan controller, now its high speed all the time and waaaaaaay more cooler............

I like your style...

I just received my 1510 from New Jersey thanks to eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=280331956957

$30 shipped.

Confirmed it works. But you have to disable the hardware antenna control in the BIOS.

Won't work with the Wifi-button control enabled. OS X sees it but always claims its Turned Off.

You sure? Mine works just fine with it enabled.

You sure? Mine works just fine with it enabled.

There were two settings...Wi-fi Antenna & Antenna Control (or something like that). It was set to just manage the WLAN (cause I dont have a WWAN) which was causing OS to see it as disabled, even if you pushed the WiFi button. Flipped the same BIOS setting to "none" and booted, OS X saw networks right after login. I went back to confirm, and the behavior continued when set back to "WLAN".

Gabit, i can tell you and confirm you..that.....like......I boot to windows vista....work bla bla bla restart into osx and all works fine..BUUUUUUT

If im in Vista, and turn off wlan by any reason..and with the wlan "off" boot into osx..it will never turn on....so you just have to turn it on in windows and not turn it off to work!

Cheers

Nano

Niiiiiiiiice, i think ill buy such a wlan card, i hope Dell Germany may sell me one, but i think dell use this only in us? :-(

Oh i have a tip for u guys, im a crazy mountainbike guru and searched for years for a perfect sealing method for the varnish. I found Liquid Glass, a special sealing, u bring some layers of this on the varnish and its hard like stone. Its from Petzoldts, a Spacial Shop for car caring products.

Cause i found some scratches on the varnish of my dearly beloved 1340 after one day, im a photograph and the notebook often is in my photo-bag, so thats hard conditions for such a pretty notebook. :D

So i tried to da some layers of the sealing on it, no more fine scratches and best of all, the problem of fingerprints and dust isnt as evil as before, cause its a nano-effect.^^ Oh, and do not dab it on the keyboard accidentally, cause this stuff is like glass, i think for keyboard its better to have an rough surface. :-)

And no, they dont pay me a provision. :-P

At weekend ill try some kext for battery indicator and handmade cpu-trottling such as cool book...

I tried out genericCPUpowermanagement.kext, but it doesnt operates in my opinion, i dont feel a difference. When i use cpux multiplier and cpuspeed are allways the same. Maybe u have an other cpux program, i used this on the XxX distribution.

Wohoooooo, till yesterday i had only sound over the internal speakers, i tried some things and now i have sound over both 3,5mm outputs. Does anyone had working sound outputs when installing AppleHDA.kext, guys - please give me a review.Or does i really found a way to activate them?!?!

The only problem ive, that the internal speakers r still activated when i hear music over the outputs... :-(

Does anyone know what this is for a soundcard, in the specifications "about my mac" there stands Intel High Definition Audio. I think the laptop has 2 audio devices, one of them, the 2.0 HD Chip of the IDT Chip in front of the Laptop, then there is the motherboard intern solution of the nvidia chip for routing 5.1 sound over the HDMI.

I cant test if the hdmi soundrouting still is activated, cause i have a Dell 2709W Display, there was only a Displayport-cable in the package. Displayport supports audio, but i heard that the intel chip only give soudoutput over hdmi.

In windows the sound switches when enable the hdmi port, i heard. Maybe its same in Mac OSX, when switch a hdmi-cable in the laptop, maybe we have also 6 channel output. So that it is possible to have dolby surround sound with an extern decoder, ive the Teufel Decoderbox, so i could test this when having a hdmi-cable.

Next point is backup-sollution, i tried out SuperDuper, made a backup on a backup partition, when booting and clicking F8 i can choose if i boot the original or the backup with Chameleon Bootloader, i activated by installing the XxX Distri. Next time i try to boot from extern hd, ive such a one with firewire, but not a minifirewire cable. :-( That would be the best backup sollution i would say, cause hd could crash. :-/

Same here ElekTron.........still waiting for bcc9 response..because this is weird lol XD...............still no battery here ;) lol
I use cpu-x, which is from netkas: http://netkas.org/?p=72

With my P8600 CPU, when idle, cpu-x shows a core speed of 798mz, multiplier x6. When loaded, cpu-x dynamically changes to a core speed of 1197, multiplier x9. The reported core voltage changes from .925 to 1.137. The 7x and 8x multipliers work as well.

This is with GenericCPUPowerManagement loaded&running.

Without GenericCPUPowerManagement, cpu-x remains static with a core speed of 2400 and multiplier x18. Hmm, cpu-x is actually off by a factor of 2 for the multiplier in this case.

I've looked at the VoodooPower source code and I think I know why it's crashing the system. Will try to fix that now.

Wohoooooo, till yesterday i had only sound over the internal speakers, i tried some things and now i have sound over both 3,5mm outputs. Does anyone had working sound outputs when installing AppleHDA.kext, guys - please give me a review.Or does i really found a way to activate them?!?!

The only problem ive, that the internal speakers r still activated when i hear music over the outputs... :-(

Yes, muting the speakers doesn't work. The dell 1535/1735 folks got it working but the fix doesn't seem to be working here. Probably because we're stuck on the 10.5.3 version of AppleHDA. I could use some help figuring out how to fix that.

Does anyone know what this is for a soundcard, in the specifications "about my mac" there stands Intel High Definition Audio. I think the laptop has 2 audio devices, one of them, the 2.0 HD Chip of the IDT Chip in front of the Laptop, then there is the motherboard intern solution of the nvidia chip for routing 5.1 sound over the HDMI.
This laptop has 2 hardware codecs controlled by the nvidia HDA controller (which conforms to the intel High Definition Audio spec). The speakers&built-in ports use the IDT 92hd73c1 codec. The HDMI uses nvidia's mcp7a hdmi codec. Nobody has even attempted to get the mcp7a codec working with AppleHDA AFAIK. It should be working under linux with current alsa code but I haven't tested it.

I use cpu-x, which is from netkas: http://netkas.org/?p=72

With my P8600 CPU, when idle, cpu-x shows a core speed of 798mz, multiplier x6. When loaded, cpu-x dynamically changes to a core speed of 1197, multiplier x9. The reported core voltage changes from .925 to 1.137. The 7x and 8x multipliers work as well.

This is with GenericCPUPowerManagement loaded&running.

Without GenericCPUPowerManagement, cpu-x remains static with a core speed of 2400 and multiplier x18. Hmm, cpu-x is actually off by a factor of 2 for the multiplier in this case

I think genericCPUmanagement.kext doesnt work in my case,

why i have the P9600 CPU inside, cpu-z says:

th_P9600.png

Multiplier and Corespeed are allways 20x / 2660

I hope its possible to fix this cpu :-/

Same here ElekTron.........still waiting for bcc9 response..because this is weird lol XD...............still no battery here :whistle: lol

genericCPUmanagement.kext was causing a panic after I dropped it extensions. Are there any other kext or kernal dependencies?

Yehaaaa, ive still activated speedstep with my P9600 CPU :-)

http://code.google.com/p/xnu-speedstep/downloads/list

Using another throttling Software called SpeedStep

What ive done:

-downloading IntelEnhancedSpeedstep.kext and SpeedStep

-installing SpeedStep in Application Folder

-running the next lines in Terminal:

cd /Applications/SpeedStep.app/Contents/MacOS

chmod +x SpeedStep

sudo -s

chown root:wheel SpeedStep

chmod +s SpeedStep

-installing IntelEnhancedSpeedstep.kext with kextHelper in Advanced Mode with Tag cache build option, then install and reboot

-starting SpeedStep and youll have an underclocked cpu

-using auto or manual mode

-with many options :-)

Hope its a sollution for those guys who had no reaction with GenericCPUPowerManagement.kext like me.

In Automode my T9600 2660mhz runs with 1600mhz most of all the time :)

There is also a CPU-Indicator in the frontline of Mac OSX which shows u the current CPU-Speed, tried this out with Auto-mode, using X-Bench, the indicator jumps out of full cpu-speed when running cpu-intensive tests an also going down when the hd-tests were running. So it also gives you a response. The manual of intel speedstep technologie is also very interesting to read.

Sooooo, next point is battery status^^

PS: here is the original thread on insanelymac i found this prog: click

So I tried my change to VoodooPower, and sure enough, it fixed the system lockup. So now VoodooPower works for me. I.e.. the p-states are changing dynamically and it looks like the CPU multipliers and voltages are updating correctly based upon OS load.

I think the VoodooPower solution is preferable to the other two kexts: GenericCPUPowerManagement, and IntelEnhancedSpeedstep.kext, since of the 3 solutions, only VoodooPower is currently being supported. Note that the current thread by mercurysquad http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=151503 indicates: "Since superhai's VoodooPower has surpassed this kext in more ways than a few, and the current stable version of the kext has been working ok for the target audience, I have decided to halt the project for some time."

Anyways, here's my compiled VoodooPower, and source code changes. All I had to do was disable the P-states that looked like they weren't getting initialized right in superhai's code (If I'm not mistaken these problematic P-states are supposed to be the Super LFM (super low frequency mode) p-states).

Would be nice to see if it works for the rest of you with P9600 CPUs.

[edit: See newer version of VoodooPower posted & moved to first post of this thread]

bcc9, nice work....I can tell you are pretty ahead of us..I dont know anything about coding and compiling =( damn you. I guess it isnt that hard though, and I guess im also lazy lmao.

Its working just fine! as expected! You really have made some nice progress with our laptop! =) It is very very appreciated

Well, now we are only missing battery! After that we'll have a decent working system. Although I have to ask you..did you tried Dellmini's trackpad kexts? I never managed to get em working, I was interested in getting them working because kenten said they worked after sleep.

As for the 9500m, I know you were expecting more than me (I guess), though I dont really know how to debug my boot, I tried several ways to inject both cards and the result is always the same, black screen and it hangs there. My guess, both gpu's are fighting to get an output so it crashes, but at least in windowserver.log I dont see anything. I dont know where else to look.

Cheers and thanks!

edit: wow no reply yet D: lol

Nano

bcc9, nice work....I can tell you are pretty ahead of us..I dont know anything about coding and compiling =( damn you. I guess it isnt that hard though, and I guess im also lazy lmao.
Thank you. Yes, it's pretty easy to compile something when the source includes a working Makefile, or in the xcode case, working xcode project config files. The hard part is to understand undocumented 3rd party code well enough to make a fix.
Its working just fine! as expected! You really have made some nice progress with our laptop! =) It is very very appreciated
Thanks. I think it may not be defaulting the voltages optimally but I'm not sure as I haven't found proper documentation on the voltage stepping. Perhaps if superahi would respond to the my bug report over here
Well, now we are only missing battery!
Have you tried voodoopower yet? You say your ACPI event controller driver remains loaded, unlike mine, so maybe it'd just work for you.
After that we'll have a decent working system. Although I have to ask you..did you tried Dellmini's trackpad kexts? I never managed to get em working, I was interested in getting them working because kenten said they worked after sleep.
no, I haven't had a chance to try it yet. But it looks like I'll need to as I've noticed that voodoops2controller breaks a couple keys such as the backquote/tilde key.
As for the 9500m, I know you were expecting more than me (I guess), though I dont really know how to debug my boot, I tried several ways to inject both cards and the result is always the same, black screen and it hangs there. My guess, both gpu's are fighting to get an output so it crashes, but at least in windowserver.log I dont see anything. I dont know where else to look.
Have you figured out the minimal EFI plist change that leads to a hang?

I just tried again VoodoBattery.kext, but nothing, I downloaded debug version and it founds a battery and acp addapter but it seems to think that the battery is disconnected and the ac adapter is always connected!...I posted on superhai's forum. We'll just have to wait!

cheers

So here's a new version of my VoodooPower change that uses lower voltages at the lower cpu multipliers than my previous version. The previous version was being too conservative in scaling the voltages. This still isn't actually undervolting the CPU; you can always try doing that with VoodooPower's gui application.

[Edit: Moved voodoopower attachments to first post of this thread]

I just tried again VoodoBattery.kext, but nothing, I downloaded debug version and it founds a battery and acp addapter but it seems to think that the battery is disconnected and the ac adapter is always connected!...I posted on superhai's forum. We'll just have to wait!

Judging from your thread on Superhai's forum, it looks like a short-coming of the KEXT which handles ACPI. So there's nothing wrong with the Voodoo Battery kext? If so, I can code...which kext should we be looking to ensure that power states are being reported correctly?

It seems it has nothing to do with the kext, its our dsdt tables....Im playing with it..i managed to get the battery detected..though.....the ac adapter is detected all the time....so it says that its charging........I managed to un-detect the ac adapter too but then the battery will say its always charged (the ac adapter is actually disconnected)....IF you want to help me with this..search for: "BAT0" and "ADP0" in your dsdt.

Cheers

I debugged voodoobattery a bit and I still believe that the root problem is that AppleACPIEC is not running, per my first post.

Has anyone yet tried my voodoopower on a p9600? I'd like to clean up my instructions but I don't yet know whether the solution is working for everyone.