Dell XPS 1340 mostly working with OSX 10.5.6,10.5.7

bcc9

514 posts in this topic

You can actually just delete the file and start with -f, but yea delete the extensions.mkext, anyway, you should look the SnowLeopard thread, since this one isnt updating anymore. SnowLeopard is a little bit different, but since we are using it in 32bit mode, everything should work just fine under leopard, for example, there's a new dsdt, new audio kexts, etc Should get the new files to get a better system anyway!

RAWR

Normally, juste delete the file and run these commands !

But you'd rather google that before, since I've already seen people using a third command reassigning permissions, so don't take my code snipped just like this, since this is a critical operation !

I am experiencing a problem after upgrading to 10.5.8 and bios a11.

i updated appleacpiplatform and dsdt a11 (found it in 10.6 post), but the computer doesn't go to sleep on lid close.

everything else seems to work fine, including battery. any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...

I have a big problem, dont have time enougt for trying snowy, will do that in my winter holydays. So i updated on 10.5.8, but now i found out that there is no IOPCIFamily.kext for 10.5.8, when i tried the 10.5.7/6 i got some booting errors, so i reset it on default 10.5.8 from the apple.update. So is there a chance to get quarz extreme under osx 10.5.8? Please say yes. :-) :-) :-)

i found out that there is no IOPCIFamily.kext for 10.5.8, when i tried the 10.5.7/6 i got some booting errors, so i reset it on default 10.5.8 from the apple.update. So is there a chance to get quarz extreme under osx 10.5.8? Please say yes. :-) :-) :-)

Back in posts #375, and #412 I recommended natit instead of iopcifamily to inject the graphics efi strings. I've updated post #1 with those instructions and also a newer version of natit.kext which should work for both 9400m & 9500m (the original version only worked for 9400m). Another choice would be to just use my modified dsdt to inject the graphics efi strings.

I am experiencing a problem after upgrading to 10.5.8 and bios a11.

i updated appleacpiplatform and dsdt a11 (found it in 10.6 post), but the computer doesn't go to sleep on lid close.

everything else seems to work fine, including battery. any ideas?

Last person that claimed that had a mechanical issue, and the lid close sensor would only work when he closed the lid slowly. Check whether or not your screen is going off as you close the lid. If not, then you have a mechanical problem.

If that checks out ok, confirm whether sleep works OK when you select it from the menu.

Back in posts #375, and #412 I recommended natit instead of iopcifamily to inject the graphics efi strings. I've updated post #1 with those instructions and also a newer version of natit.kext which should work for both 9400m & 9500m (the original version only worked for 9400m). Another choice would be to just use my modified dsdt to inject the graphics efi strings.

I just tried natit.kext, but got much trouble when booting, after 40 sec. i saw a grey "Restart"-Screen, every time, also when using other boot modes in Chamäleon, so i had to delete natit.kext with terminal over xXx-DVD boot.

I hope you can tell me whats the problem. I think its the boot.plist which makes trouble, cause i dont know how i reset it on default. I only combined it whit the audio.plist you mentioned in your manual.

I just tried natit.kext, but got much trouble when booting, after 40 sec. i saw a grey "Restart"-Screen, every time, also when using other boot modes in Chamäleon, so i had to delete natit.kext with terminal over xXx-DVD boot.

I hope you can tell me whats the problem. I think its the boot.plist which makes trouble, cause i dont know how i reset it on default. I only combined it whit the audio.plist you mentioned in your manual.

Boot with -v and see what the error is. Sounds like you didn't install the kext with the right permissions. Verify that you can load it manually with kextload.

Oh and you could just boot single user mode to delete the kext

Next step, i tried to install Natit.kext in combination with IOPCIFamily.kext (out of the 10.5.8 Combined.pgk). It doesn fit, same error when booting, same problem. Dont know wheres the solution?!?! :-( Maybe its my experimental system, i tried many kexts and programs. I think ill try to install snowy when i have holidays. :-)

Next step, i tried to install Natit.kext in combination with IOPCIFamily.kext (out of the 10.5.8 Combined.pgk). It doesn fit, same error when booting, same problem. Dont know wheres the solution?!?! :-( Maybe its my experimental system, i tried many kexts and programs. I think ill try to install snowy when i have holidays. :-)
So in this forum I've described 4 different ways to get QE/CI working on this laptop. 1) com.apple.boot.plist+iopcifamily change, 2) natit, 3) nvenabler 4) DSDT

All of these solutions work under 10.5.x. I stopped supporting #1 as of 10.5.8 as it's the most complicated to support but you could compile a fresh iopcifamily yourself.

#4 is detailed in the 10.6 thread but you could use that solution under 10.5.x if you also took care to update your audio solution as in the 10.6 thread.

Thnx bcc9, i used your prefered method, with dsdt table out of the 10.6 thread. There i also found the sollution for routing the sound of the intern sound card only to my headphones when i plug them in, not to the external speakers. :-) jihaaaa

• 3 months later...

Guys I've updated to 10.5.8 and have got everything working ok, just wondering however if anyone else is experiencing extreme heating up while using OSX? ... Even tho I do have temperature monitoring apps it doesnt seem to display the correct temps, and comparing to windows, my OSX in idling is heating up quite a bit. Any ideas?

• 4 months later...

I wasn't able to find a copy of 10.6 Vanilla..only copies that i found came up with the message "unable to find operating system" when booting from a usb. (I followed the hfs+ partitioning on the usb thumb, followed by restoring image to it)