Dell XPS 1340 mostly working with OSX 10.5.6,10.5.7

bcc9

514 posts in this topic

Can you please post your ps2controller.kext to check if trackpad works after sleep with it?! thanks! As I said before my install is retail, so I dont have that kext! thanks!

Its the vanilla Appleps2controller.kext, the same one included in the OS X Combo update 10.5.6 if you use Pacifist to extract. It works after sleep prior to the Voodoo stuff, after it breaks, its dun-done. There is nothing specific in my kext, in fact if I remove voodoo and replace the vanilla, it remains broken. I think the additions to the preference pane bundle is part of it, which are separate changes from the kext.

Dude, theres no vanilla ApplePS2Controller.kext...............PS2 doesnt exist in mac, I have the 10.5.6 retail disk, Can you please post your kext please?

Thanks

Huh, I didn't think that was deved. Its on the Xxx 10.5.6 disc...I will up it when I get home.

Okay, I have been able to duplicate my scenario. I can't explain why this works but I think it has to do with the order the kext are being loaded.

-After a fresh install (havn't been able to fix PS2 after sleep after it breaks without reinstalling)

-Install VoodooPS2 using their package and also selecting the trackpad install

-Delete AppleACPIPS2nub.txt only, NOT ApplePS2Controller.kext (removing both will break working PS2 after sleep)

-Yes keeping ApplePS2Controller.kext will cause a warning in verbose startup

-Wipe out the extensions cache, and restart

Reinstalled, and did this. Sleep still remains to have the system instantly turn on after being put to sleep. Also, my mouse still died after sleep. The only difference I did was I thought "AppleACPIPS2nub.txt" was "AppleACPIPS2nub.kext"

EDIT: After another reinstall after doing nothing.. (but 1 reboot), sleep does NOT work. It just freezes for a few seconds at the desktop when I hit sleep. Also, does anyone have any info on bluetooth?

im getting my xps 13 next week...and whats really bugging me is the wireless. i chose 1510 in the specs, but then dell contacted me saying only 1515 is available.

do you reckon if i can replace it with a standard size broadcom bcm4311? or does it only support half size cards?

It has an available wwan port (that is complete size) so..yea you can put the 4311...but you should tell dell to {censored} off! and give you an EXTRA wlan card because you want a broadcom based! lol......

It has an available wwan port (that is complete size) so..yea you can put the 4311...but you should tell dell to {censored} off! and give you an EXTRA wlan card because you want a broadcom based! lol......

thats good news! cheers for that!

does that mean i can run two wireless cards? -_-

indeed! i have an atheros 5007eg and the 1510 (broadcom 4322)...........One works with osx, linux win, atheros one with linux and win......and i crack wep with atheros one /gg!

awesome man B)

only problem now is that stupid dell is yet to confirm my order! apparently they had an 'internal processing error' lol.

its probably due to the fact that i used alot of discount coupons on this. haha.

Here's what I've figured out so far on getting OSX working on the dell studio xps 1340, aka dell studio xps 13.

Working "out of the box":

• gig-ethernet, usb, firewire, sata
  • system suspend
  • touchpad as mouse
  • webcam (video only), video capture verified with photo booth application

Working with mods below:

• GeForce 9400M G graphics with quartz extreme
  • Built-in speaker, hotkey volume/mute controls
  • Intel speedstep
  • Touchpad gestures with voodoo team's voodoops2controller Note that you should uninstall your AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext when installing this voodoo kext else you'll get panics and problems with keyboard input. Also I seem to be unable to post a link to this mod "You have entered a link to a website that the administrator does not allow links to"

Not working:

• Proper ps2 keyboard bindings (modifier keys for mac command/option map wrong)
  • Built-in digital mic, mic-in jack, mute of speakers when headphones attached
  • touchpad unusable resume
  • battery status, suspend on lid close
  • Dell 1515 802.11 wireless (atheros ar9280 aka ar5009). However some systems ship with the older Dell 1510 802.11 which is broadcom based and works. According to Atheros' press release in 2007 the 1515 supports OSX. So I think we basically just need to keep waiting for Atheros or Apple to publish the alleged driver. That is unless someone wants to roll their own based upon the linux version. I certainly don't care enough to do that.
  • SLI with 9500m video

For installation I recommend the XxX 10.5.6 distribution, as it's the only distribution I could find that handled booting off of nvidia sata devices.

(Before XxX I tried the iPC livedvd, and that would hang during boot, apparently due to lack of nvidia sata support. Older distributions such as kalyway, boot & install but the OS randomly hangs, apparently due to problems with the sata drivers.)

With XxX, during the install, you need not select any kext options other than the applenforceata.

For working quartz Extreme & core image (QE/CI), install my modified IOPCIFamily kext, and my EFI plist. My EFI plist includes EFI strings for the 9400m video and for the IDT audio. To apply the plist to your com.apple.boot.plist using OSX86 Tools:

1. Save attached plist file as something.plist
  2. Run OSX86 Tools
  3. Select Add EFI Strings/Boot Flag
  4. Select Import Hex/Plist
  5. Select Import File
  6. Select the plist file you just saved, click choose
  7. Select import string to boot editor
  8. select apply changes to com.apple.boot.plist

Replace the existing IOPCIFamily kext with my modified kext (manually or using something like kexthelper).

For working IDT audio you'll also need the attached AppleHDA.kext. Thanks to the Dell 1535/1735 folks (ridgeline, boombeng) for coming up with IDT audio pathmaps that begin to work on this laptop. Unfortunately this kext is from 10.5.3 and at also seems to be flaky for some users, as it was for the 1535/1735.

You should *not* need to install HDAEnabler.kext as advised elsewhere as my EFI plist includes the audio EFI string already.

Update: Verify working audio by ensuring that "Internal Speakers" is available and selected under System Preferences->sound->output, then go to the sound effects tab and try something.

For working CPU throttling (intel speedstep) use my modified version of superhai's VoodooPower.kext. Attached. (I've attached my source code changes as well, which is only of interest if you're a developer.) Superhai has some support applications: GenericCPUPMControl, vpower over here, and there's also cpu-x to monitor the CPU multiplier state.

I could really use some help on the non-working components! Such as:

• For the battery status and lid, the ACPI devices show up. If you install VoodooBattery from here, the battery icon shows up but the battery remains unavailable. Looks to me like this is because no ACPI events ever go thru. This in turn is apparently due to lack of working ACPI event controller (AppleACPIEC plugin doesn't load, nor does AppleSMBusPCI). I think both of these should be loading OK since the controller hardware is the same as for the unibody macbook (nvidia mcp79).
  • For SLI video, need someone who has the 9500m to try and work on a 2nd graphics EFI string for the 9200m part. I think the right devicepath for the 9200m is:
    PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x0c,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0), but I don't have a 9500m to play with this.
  • For audio, it'd be great if someone could figure out how to get the 10.5.6 version of the IDT-modified AppleHDA.kext to work. I get no audio devices with this version. Also both analog&digital mics work under linux with alsa 1.0.19, but not under OSX, even with what looks like the right pathmap. Clues?

Contributions welcome

have you tried voodoohda for the audio?

have you tried voodoohda for the audio?
No. A quick skim of the (long) bug list makes me think that nobody has put effort into supporting the sigmatel-based codecs and so it won't yet work. Please try the latest bits and report back :)

Can someone please help me get sleep working. My computer hasn't had an OS on it for a couple of days... because I'd really like sleep to work (everyone says it needs a fresh install). How can I get sleep working? I have XxX's 10.5.6 DVD, and I install it selecting only the NVidia Chipset, PC EFI, and Chameleon.

Also - Now that the 10.5.7 update came out, does the EFI Plist still work? (if I recall EFI plist's use to die when you would update)

Thanks!!

Can someone please help me get sleep working. My computer hasn't had an OS on it for a couple of days... because I'd really like sleep to work (everyone says it needs a fresh install). How can I get sleep working? I have XxX's 10.5.6 DVD, and I install it selecting only the NVidia Chipset, PC EFI, and Chameleon.

Also - Now that the 10.5.7 update came out, does the EFI Plist still work? (if I recall EFI plist's use to die when you would update)

Thanks!!

Sleep for mine works. Don't install any of the optional add-ons. You don't need any of the patched kernels or the nvidia chipset. Although the trackpad/mouse is still an issue after sleep. The working sleepable PS2Controller doesn't have trackpad capability (tapping, scrolling, sensitivity, ect).

Sleep for mine works. Don't install any of the optional add-ons. You don't need any of the patched kernels or the nvidia chipset. Although the trackpad/mouse is still an issue after sleep. The working sleepable PS2Controller doesn't have trackpad capability (tapping, scrolling, sensitivity, ect).

Cool, where can I get that PS2Controller kext?

Also, How did you get your sleep working? Did it just work off the back?

When I install next, I shouldn't do any optional things?

i found another problem, when i boot with plugged Dell 2709W over display-port cable i only come to the point where the screen gets blue. Normally the gui takes affect in the next step but not with plugged display. Do anyone know whats wrong? Has anyone tried out the display port? If i plug in the display after booting everything works normaly. :-/

Hi !

I'm new to this forum, and I've got no further information to provide. (sorry for the english, I'm french !)

I've recently had a Dell XPS Studio 13, and following the information provided by bcc9 I've got the following results :

Working :

------------------

- Graphics with Quartz Extreme

- Built-in Speakers

- Ethernet

- Trackpad for mouse gesture (don't try any further since I always use a mouse)

- Firewire (I own a Firewire M-Audio sound card, and works fine in musical apps like Garage Band or Ableton Live)

- On-board camera (tested with fun with Photo Booth ;p )

Not working :

----------------------

- Shut down doen't actually shut down the computer (OS is unloaded, but power stays on)

- Battery status

- Wireless

- Play/Pause/Stop keyboard hotkeys

- Bluetooth (to be honest I haven't tried)

- Infrared port (who cares since no remote is provided)

- Intel Speed Step (don't really care neither)

Install procedure and options :

----------------------------------

- XxX 10.5.6

- AppleNForceAta

- (Don't remember the exact name of the nVidia chipset, ends with ***67, and don't know if it was necessary)

- Some tools like OSX86Tools and KextHelper

- Loaded bcc9's EFI strings and applied IOPCIFamily Kext

- Applied AppleHDA1340 Kext to get sound working

Dual booting :

-----------------------------------

Windows Vista was installed on the first primary partition

Second primary dedicated for documents

Third Primary free, dedicated for OSX.

1. From windows, I've made my third partition active (Careful, windows will never restard without Install DVD, or Darwin bootloader, once this is made)

2. Boot on XxX, made up the install

3. Darwin is now on the MBR, you have a few milliseconds to hit F8 and reach Darwin Bootloader options, and Darwin gets able to load Vista.

4. Boot on Vista, use EasyBCD to add OSX entry into the VISTA Bootloader

5. Still in EasyBCD, rewrite Vista Bootloader on MBR.

6. Now you will be presented on startup with Vista Bootloader, with Vista or OS X options !

Issues I've had :

--------------------------

1. Started with the iDeneb distro, had boot issues (needed the DVD to boot), then OSX would never strop asking to reboot due to Hibernate issues...

2. Moved to XxX distro, never had any boot issues.

3. Went wrong with Kext loading (as a newbee I thought replacing the kext file was enough !!) and crashed my OSX install, with no way to recover (kernel panic on boot)

4. Replayed the install, and had Graphics and audio working, but had a kernel panic on shutdown. Thanks to log messages I realized I was using Voodoo kernel and HDA kext had an issue with it.

5. Re-replayed the install without optional Kernel

My expects

--------------------------

- Get Wireless working (think we have to wait fot Atheros to publish a driver)

- Get proper shutdown

- Get on-board Mic working

- Stop being afraid to replay the whole install everytime a Kext causes a kernel panic !!!

My question :

---------------------------

Still as a newbee, I think, but I'm not sure, that I should never accept the 10.5.7 update provided by Apple today, right ?

One last thing, I've noticed that when I boot back to Vista after an OSX session, my Vista clock is two hours late, though time zone are both correctly set is Vista and OS X. Just as if summer time would not be taken into account in OSX or sth like that !

And another last thing : I was expecting to ghost my OSX install using Linux Live CD SysRescueCD, but it happened not to be compatible with HFS+ partitions. What are you using to make a ghost including the partition, the Volume Boot Record, but not the Master Boot Record ? I'd like to try to replace PS2Nub Kext by VoodooPS2 Kext, but since I don't use the Voodoo kernel anymore, I'm afraid to crash my system again, and would not install it a 5th or 6th time !!

Kall

Ok, first of all speedstep do work with VoodooPower.kext.

Next, you can update to 10.5.7 if you have disabler.kext...

And for the image..well you can use Carbon Copy Cloner, make an image of the hdd burn it to a dvd, then if you want to restore, you would have to Insert your XxX DVD, open disk utility swap disks, restore from the image you burned to another dvd, after restoring..you will have to boot with the disc and let the countdown pass, then it should now boot to osx, install chameleon and you are settuped!

edit: you could..also put the chameleon files in your dvd with the image, and just install them through terminal!

I reinstalled with no options. Installed "disabler.kext", then updated to 10.5.7.

From there, I used OS X86 tools, put in the plist from the first post... and installed IOPCIFamily & AppleHDA with OSx86 tools.

Then I installed VooDoo PS2 (with trackpad)... and removed the original PS2 kext.

Since then:

QI/CE - Works

Sleep - is dead, it instantly wakes up... and the mouse is dead.

Shut down/reboot is dead - keyboard stays lit...

Sound doesnt work, it shows up... but doesnt play

Any help?

I think bcc9 will eventually get around to updating the intro post.

You don't need the NVidiaATA kext, it isn't used. From my experience, Audio is the only thing that should break your shutdown. This is resolved with the HDA Fix v3. Voodoo Speedstep...what can I say, its acceptable. Not all power states are supported, but it toggles voltage well.

I still don't think we have a resolution for trackpad through sleep, but the half-working solution I had working breaks very easily, with subsequent driver installs or OS updates.

OSX86 Studio 13 Driver Bundle v1.0

Any by popular demand, I added the XxX v10.5.6 default ApplePS2Controller.kext

ApplePS2Controller___XxX_10.5.6.dmg

I have found the reason why my computer won't sleep without instantly waking up.

Go to the bios and disable wake on USB events. and bam. it works.

Now I have to figure out how to get the mouse to work after sleep. (Voodoo's Ps2 installer (with touchpad option) doesn't work.

I think bcc9 will eventually get around to updating the intro post.

You don't need the NVidiaATA kext, it isn't used.

Concerning AppleNForceATA, yes, it looks like that driver only applies to older nvidia ATA controllers and ours uses the AppleAHCIPort.kext (as I mentioned before). I assume you've double checked that installs work fine without the AppleNForceATA option. Note that this extra kext is harmless - the PCI matching for that kext will fail and it won't even get loaded. I'll update the first post.

Otherwise, I'm not aware of any real problems with my first post. As far as I know it still represents the easiest/best way to get this laptop working as best has been discovered *and tested*. I could go further on many topics but that's a slippery slope and I don't have time to support general tutorials. It does seem that I should clarify that you *don't* need to install other XxX packages beyond what I wrote, as I've noticed users complaining about suspend being broken yet they install extra packages such as some random nvidia chipset kext that I never recommended. Most of the hackintosh nvidia stuff is for older desktop systems not this mcp79 chipset based notebook.