Dell XPS 1340 mostly working with OSX 10.5.6,10.5.7

bcc9

514 posts in this topic

Awesome you are a really fast replier. They should pay you to do this.
Ha, then I'd have a support team to keep customers from bothering me directly and you wouldn't hear from me unless you flew out for a corporate visit :D

edit: NVM..

Hi can anyone help me on how can I make mic in (without gain) work in 10.5.x ?? It seems maybe I can use the same idea/ solution that was done under SL to make it work. This is the only thing that is not working on my 10.5.8.

Thank you.

Hi, Im running 10.5.7 and having some sleep issues. I believe that the laptop is going to sleep for about a second and then coming back on. When I close the lid the hotkeys stay lit and the disk drive is polled every 30 seconds or so. When I open the lid again I am prompted for my password, but the computer uses almost as much power with the lid closed as it would in normal use.

EDIT: I just figured this out...you must disable wake for usb in your bios to get sleep to work properly

Im having issues with video out though HDMI, I had to reinstall leopard after screwing with the system too much...and now it doesnt work even though it did on my previous install. I have CI/QE working and when I plug the display in the screen goes blue for a second, however when I go into system profiler it says 'Status: No Display Connected' even after I go into the display preferences and press 'detect displays'. Has anyone else been experiencing this issue?

Hi there,

I wondered if you had any suggestions for me, I've read a lot of the 1340 threads and you seem to be the guy who's getting it all going!

Can anyone help me out here?

I've installed the iDeneb 10.5.6 build with the only extras being things like Osx86Tools on my XPS 1340. I've gone through most of the instructions on this thread for the 10.5.6 from bcc9 at the beginning.

From that I installed a number of kexts, the modified IOPCIFamily, the AppleHDA.kext, AppleACPIPlatform (using KextHelper, but I'm not sure if it really worked or not), Bluetooth driver, and VoodooBattery.

I've got the sound working, Bluetooth going, and a battery icon (though it says there are no batteries in the system?!)

However the main big issue is that I've tried EFI plist to try and get my graphics working correctly as it's currently the 1024 resolution. For some reason OsX86Tools can't update the com.boot.apple file with the iDeneb install, but EFI Studio will so I've used that to update with the HEX values from your EFI list, inserting them inbetween the <string></string> tags at the end of the plist

When I reboot though I get kernal panic/errors and the system doesnt boot. Mainly the error complaints seem to be around the ACPI.

As i said though the sound currently works fine, I also tried using OSX86 tools to generate the HEX code for the manually create 9400m that I have but that didn't seem to work either.

and I'm not running Chamelon or any other bootloader/EFI type installer.. I just did a straight install with iDeneb and my boot manager is the Darwin one. So I haven't done any of the DSDT.aml stuff.

Any suggestions as to what might be going on? Why my graphics card isn't working and others are? (and yes I've got the 9400m G)

Hi !

I would just feedback on you with my personal experience, since this thread is not going to get along so much, as all the people involved are now moving to Snow Leopard.

Well, in order to get the correct screen res and Quartz Extreme working, I... just did exactly as bcc9 mentioned.

I am currently running Chameleon 2 as bootloader, but that was not the case after my fresh install, so just like you, I had a fresh 10.5.6 install with Darwin bootloader, which means the "normal" com.apple.boot.plist" was used.

The very big difference is that bcc9, and I, used the XxX distro and not the iDeneb one. I couldn't get further than annoying Kernel Panics when I checked out the iDeneb distro !

So what I did was to start from XxX 10.5.6, without chosing any extra kext from the installer, then, update my EFI strings through OSX86Tools, and changed the IOPCIFamily.kext with the one provided by bcc9 (be careful to chose the 10.5.6 version and not the 10.5.7) using kextHelper.

Be also careful to do these two steps one after each other, and only reboot after these two steps.

When you are going to run the 10.5.7 update, you will have to run these two steps again, using the 10.5.7 version of IOPCIFamily.kext.

Hey there,

Thanks very much for that. I know I will look into Snow Leopard soon, but I had the 10.5.6 disc already so thought i'd start with that and see how things worked!

I know, that's weird. For me the iDeneb install works perfectly fine.. I just do a default install and get in all ok, even the wireless works straight away as well (i've got the 1510 card)

As I said I tried the EFI strings but that just seems to cause Kernal Panics.. Do I need an EFI bootloader though (like Chameleon) before I can do EFI string stuff or were you able to make those EFI changes when you were using the Darwin loader?

Ah yes I thought that was the case that you might need to run both at the same time, as originally I just did the EFI strings and that caused problems. So I rebuilt again and then did the EFI strings and the IOPCIFamily.kext (the 10.5.6 one) at the same time but still got the Kernal Panics.

Hmm.. seems weird that the iDeneb works for me and not others, but the EFI strings change doesn't work for me!

p.s. with the 10.5.7 update is that just a software update via the normal Apple update?

Lucky one with the 1510 wireless ! I have 1515 so nothing to to about it... unless I upgrade to 10.6, which I haven't done yet.

Anyway, as far as I know (since I haven't upgraded) you will need a running 10.5 to install 10.6 (which is not an upgrade, you have to install to a different partition/drive).

The only thing that might be different between you and I is hardware (since you have 1510 wireless for example).

With iDeneb, install also worked fine, but I had either KP or "please reboot now" message at startup.

That's why I moved to XxX, and think you should give it a try.

And to reply to one of your questions, I got graphics working even before installing chameleon, so I don't think it might change anything...

PS : I let the 10.5.7 come by itself through Apple Update, then I had to rebuild EFi strings and replace IOPCIFamily.kext again.

haha, well your right about the lucky comment there! I was looking for a nice Dell laptop that was fast and not too big and also saw on this forum how it would run OsX as well.. But didn't know about the wireless issue when I got it from the Outlet store.. Just brought the best one that was up for sale there at the time i went to purchase.

From what I've read you can just start with a clean install for 10.6 - http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...start-to-finish

Mmm that is odd, because I assume your hardwares the same as well. I was happy when the iDeneb install just worked though, straight in with the wireless and most other things seemed all ok at startup, nothing that stopped it booting in the desktop at all.

Ok I'll see if I can find the XxX install still around and try that.

Did you do any of the DSDT.aml stuff, well before you switched over to chameleon? I assume that the chameleon bootloader is part of the XxX install process?

Well, reading back bcc9's original post, I now remember that Chameleon was installed by XxX, so, the point is, I didn't wonder so much and just did exactly what he described !

As far as I remember, graphic issues were resolved just as soon as I updated EFI strings and replaced IOPCIFamily kext. So any concern about patched DSTD has nothing to do about it, that's the first point.

Concerning the patched aml (and also extra kexts) they can be installed into a /Etras folder provided you have a recent version of Chameleon.

The simplest way is to get Chameleon 2 RC1 or RC2 (but not RC3) as a .pkg format, run the installer, then, download and unpack the RC3, and just replace the /boot file on the root.

Let me know once you've tried the XxX distro (shame that the project is discontinued, we shall never expect a 10.5.7 or 10.5.8 version, neither a 10.6 !)

BTW, thx for the guide you provided me, but actually this is intended for GUID partition Scheme, which is not compliant with multibooting configs, for which you will need a MBR partition scheme, and need to tweak OSX installer to allow that kind of partitions.

I have no experience with ideneb so I don't really know what is going wrong in your case. I'd just note that when people in this thread mention other distros it's usually in conjunction with having problems :) Seems that most distros pre-date OSX support of this chipset (mcp79) and or have the support stripped out.

Another problem I have is sleeping. My 1340 goes to sleep for a second or so and wakes up immediately after following the list of fixes in this thread. Is there anything wrong or did I miss anything ? is there a fix for this problem?

Did you ever find a fix for this problem?

Ah, I think the iDeneb install sets up Chameleon as well as that's what it says on my bootloader where I can choose which drive.

I recently tried the EFI strings separately, when I went into the thread that bcc9 for the audio and dropped in the EFI string for the audio that worked fine and my audio was going (along with doing the bcc9 kext), but when I tried doing the invididual steps for the GFX string (via the custom create option in OSX86 tools) and then dropping in just the EFI strings (along with the IOPCIFamily kext) it still didn't work.

Thanks, so it really is just the EFI strings that's the issue. haha that probably explains things as well, I went to get the latest version of Chamelon the RC3 and it was just lots of files and some long winded instructions.. So i put it off until another time, and wasn't sure that was the problem anyway.

Well I got the XxX distro, but I think I got the 2nd last version (the Final not the Final v2 one), and something went wrong with my download of it as the files occasionally would say they were corrupt in WinRar. But then another time they wouldn't. So got the iso and tried on at least three different discs.. Each time it would start going through the install and then fail saying that it could read the "essentials" directory on the disc.

I'm going to try and see if I can find it somewhere again.. Though if you know anywhere that I can easily get it from can you PM me (if that's allowed?)

That's ok.. ah I thought that guide seemed semi easy. I was going to try it myself once my 8 gig flash drive turns up... but maybe not as I want to dual boot as well. Is there any nice installer guide/process for 10.6 out there?

bcc9: Cheers.. well as I said the iDeneb install seems to work pretty well and the graphics come up in 1024 by default.. I have even changed the Graphics Mode string to get it to 1200x800 and that worked fine, but obviously it hasn't got the Quartz Extreme bits working. So you think the distro doesn't have support for that particular graphics card chipset? Hmm... well I'll see how I go tracking down the XxX distro from somewhere.. Doesn't seem to be around too much nowdays.

Thanks for the offer there, but I've got things working now (mostly!)

Got a proper version of the XxX build and installed it, then followed the instructions. This time around I was able to use OsX86 tools to update the com.boot file (previously in iDeneb it gave me an error) and the graphics and sound all work fine!

Great stuff.. just trying to get other things going now. Tried the SDHC Voodoo card reader file and it just seems to lock up the PC when I insert an SD card.

One question with the trackpad, etc. Bcc9 says that I should "uninstall any distro-provided AppleACPIPS2Nub,ApplePS2Controller kexts" before i install the Voodoo ones. How do I go about doing the "uninstall"? Just track down the files (whereever they are?) and delete them? Or is there some uninstall option somewhere?

Actually I don't remember doing anything like removing kexts for trackpad issues (but I don't really care about it ! I just works on sliding and tapping, that's enough for me, since I plug a mouse most the time !). Anyway, don't ever just remove a kext by deleting the file or you would get a Kernel Panic on reboot.

Whenever you manually add or remove a kext you have to rebuild the kext cache doing the following on a terminal :

For regular kext location :

rm -f /System/Library/Extensions/Extensions.mkext
kextcache -m /System/Library/Extensions/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

For extra kexts with Chameleon :

rm -f /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Caches
kextcache -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions

Haha, i suppose i'm just trying to get it all to work! :)

Thanks for that.. but how do I manually remove a kext then? or can I do it automatically via OsX86 tools?

Do I just delete the file but then have make sure i rebuild the kext cache afterwards before rebooting? Or have to go through lots of permission change steps as well? Thanks.