Dell XPS 1340 mostly working with OSX 10.5.6,10.5.7

bcc9

514 posts in this topic

Just tried it........same as before, black screen, it freezes! Im going to take a shower, but I ll try just putting the 9400m dev id so at least it works for that one!

Thanks for trying!!

edit: I was reading in old posts, you asked me to inject part by part too see whats the problem, I dont know if I ever tell you about it, look, wrong name (lazy to changed it) but:

post-120132-1248188531_thumb.png

I used this plist: combined2.plist.zip

As you can see (if compared with the one I atached two or three posts ago) the only change is that I deleted the "name" keys:

<key>@0,name</key>
	<string>NVDA,Display-A</string>

and

<key>@1,name</key>
	<string>NVDA,Display-B</string>

What do you think? I dont think the problem has to do with the injection, it has to do with the cards management, which happens in the "energy saver" preferences panel, but....I dont know how does that work!

What do you think? I dont think the problem has to do with the injection, it has to do with the cards management, which happens in the "energy saver" preferences panel, but....I dont know how does that work!

the plist that you attached b4 had a mistake in the devicepath.... you used 'c' instead of '0c' if i am not wrong... and i corrected that and used it.. but same thing.... even with these new injector today no luck... but thanks bcc9... thanks for the try...

and abt the two cards.. i mentioned this a long time ago... but i guess was overlooked.... leopard has no way of using the two cards together.... either 9400m or 9200m gs... no sli... so may be they desinged the hardware to use the internal display outputs from both cards...

however ours was made for sli... infact dell makes this as a powerful point... so in our laptop its either 9400m or 9400m + 9200m gs...

so wat if the internal display was connected to only 9400m and the 9200m gs is using the output through 9400m...??? i am not computer hardware expert but this is possible... right???

i tried using the nvinject without changing the probescore and with changing.... no luck....

but i did get one thing.... instead of using the universal dev id 000010de i used the individual dev id, for both them cards.... first i used only 9400m and i dont remember exactly whether got it working completely or not... but atleast i was able to get the properties changed....

then 9200m gs... same black screen... but in safe mode... the system profiles did accept the changes acc to the kext.... but still its showed only one display only connected to the other graphic adapter... which brings me to my point again.... wat if only 9400m has internal display attachments!!!

well enough of speculations... i am gonna open my laptop... ne advice??

Im not sure if its how you say, afaik you can use MBP's dual cards with hybrid sli under windows. Though, it sounds possible, that 9200 doesnt have an output at all, but again, I posted some time ago persons with a HP laptop with the same graphic card having the same problem.

And, well go ahead opening your laptop, though im not sure you can find out anything just by watching! good luck

Im not sure if its how you say, afaik you can use MBP's dual cards with hybrid sli under windows. Though, it sounds possible, that 9200 doesnt have an output at all, but again, I posted some time ago persons with a HP laptop with the same graphic card having the same problem.

And, well go ahead opening your laptop, though im not sure you can find out anything just by watching! good luck

you were right... couldn't figure out nething... hahaha... i just opened the thing and closed it back in a few seconds.... and may be 9200m gs cant work under os x altogether seeing that ppl with only one card also have a problem....

and yeah the macbook can use them in sli in windows even if 9600 is not totally dependent on 9400 for output... the real question is can windows on mbp run just 9600 and disable 9400 totally and still get output..

the combined.plist that you had uploaded for me.... did you write the entries yourself....??

Which one? the 1 or 2? Anyway lol I took the entries from the MBP, thats all the entries it has, and the only entries that breaks them is the keys "name" as I copy pasted before.

So on the real macbook pro with 9600m those entries exist on the secondary video pci device in the ioregistry. So I'd think they'd be required on the 9200m device as well.

I really thought it'd work this time.

Which one? the 1 or 2? Anyway lol I took the entries from the MBP, thats all the entries it has, and the only entries that breaks them is the keys "name" as I copy pasted before.

is that so.... the name keys are the info abt the displays attached to 9200m gs right??? but what if there are none... this is wat a guy wrote on the apple suport forum:

"With the certainty of revealing my ignorance, can someone tell me when is the 9600 used vs 9400? Whenever I look at system profiler is always says no display connected to the 9600. And if two displays, both connected to the 9400. Does it only work with certain types of displays? or applications? or connections?

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT:""

am trying without ne display entries....

will update

Dont worry, it was a good try anyway. So I dont know where to continue with the dual graphic matter.

Anyway, as I said a while go, I was reading all the thread again and I found this post where you say your cpu was working at 800mhz with some thread. Its just, I was wondering why is the batterylife difference under windows and osx sooo big. I mean I get almost 5 hours with this new battery under windows, but only 3 in osx :)...lol

Maybe its not the cpu could be that I guess.

is that so.... the name keys are the info abt the displays attached to 9200m gs right??? but what if there are none... this is wat a guy wrote on the apple suport forum:

"With the certainty of revealing my ignorance, can someone tell me when is the 9600 used vs 9400? Whenever I look at system profiler is always says no display connected to the 9600. And if two displays, both connected to the 9400. Does it only work with certain types of displays? or applications? or connections?

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT:""

am trying without ne display entries....

will update

Ok, LMAO that dude, bought a MBP and he doesnt even know how to use it, he has to change the power profile to performance mode. I just used a MBP a week ago, it wont show any displays (the 9600GT) when in "Better battery life". When you switch to performance mode, it will logout, restart display (go black and come back again) and you have to login again, after that 9400M has no displays and 9600M GT has both displays.

Hope that helps..

Ok, LMAO that dude, bought a MBP and he doesnt even know how to use it, he has to change the power profile to performance mode. I just used a MBP a week ago, it wont show any displays (the 9600GT) when in "Better battery life". When you switch to performance mode, it will logout, restart display (go black and come back again) and you have to login again, after that 9400M has no displays and 9600M GT has both displays.

Hope that helps..

well exactly my point... i mentioned this thing abt the gpus being regulated with the battery(which we cant cuz we use a mod) on like the 13th page... but since i got no replies regarding that i guessed thats not the case... cuz i just get crazy ideas... i have not computer background, i am a med student... watever i know is from my interest...

and i tried to use the plist without the name entries..... booted up fine... but no changes... but i guess you all already guessed that...lol

Yep, that plist just shows 9600GT in the pci-e line in system profiler! But no change.

Also as I mentioned before, in the new MBP under system profiler and graphic cards the cards has this line that says

Gmux version: 1.7xxxb la bla....

I think it has something to do with the dual card thing.

Whazup guys, any news on the built-in microphone? or 1515 atheros wireless card?
Does the part where I address both of these in post #1 not make sense?

1515 is working under snow leopard, there's a remote chance that the driver could ship with a 10.5.x update I suppose..

Some feedback after a few time !

Managed to get the 10.5.7 running via Apple Update. Had to reinstall Audio and graphics after that, but I was expecting that ! Intel Speed step is also working (checked with CPU-X).

Installed Chameleon 2 RC without any issue on the Mac OS side.

On Windows side, it happened to make my OS X partition active (3rd partition), and since my primary bootloader is Vista Bootloader, nothing was booting at all ! So thanks to Vista install DVD, I made 1st partition active again, then Vista bootloader was showing up again, and choosing the Mac OS X entry sent me to the new Chameleon bootloader.

For french users, I found a working French PC keyboard layout, you can find it here.

At last, I have set up VoodooBattery so the icon now shows up and dispays power and battery status, but it seems that when I plug out the cable, then back in, it never detects the cable is blugged back. I also think that sleep on lid close is not working, but for that I don't know if I missed something or if I just didn't chose the option in OSX.

To bcc9 : how did you manage to get graphics on external ports working ? Since I have reimported your new EFI strings for 10.5.7, I tried to plug some VGA, but when I hit "detect displays", all screens go black (I had to use LogMeIn from another PC to turn off properly !!) But something new happened : after plugging that screen, through LogMein, I could see the native resolution of my external screen added to the list of available resolutions.

Still not working : Wireless with 1515 chip, internal Mic.

Its the AppleHDA kext, im certenly sure. Eh..in the other side, I'll have to check those ApplePS2 kexts to see how they work, you are saying they work after sleep! at least i can have audio now without losing trackpad! =P

HI.... could you please how i can open AppleHDA..

Thank you!!

Hello... guys can any body help me with the IDT sound installation..i dont know which one is the rigth app for open it...

Thank you!! i hope somebody help me...

About_Stacks.pdf

Hello bcc9 and others, I just got this laptop and followed this post for a couple of days

I just wanna share some exp..and problems

1. When I updated to Chameleon 2.0RC1 I'll lose my QE/CI on Nvidia 9400M, still figuring out why...Now I am using the old one.

2. When in 10.5.6 with QE/CI enabled, iTune, front-row or any other video/audio apps would make my dell extremely laggy...but when I updated to 10.5.7 everything 's fine.

3. (HELP) I read couple post back that someone is also experiencing incomplete-shut-downs....me too T.T

4. (HELP) I installed the Voodoobattery.kext but I couldn't get a battery icon.

Other than the battery, sleep (trackpad), shut-down issues my dell runs pretty good with mac....thx 4 the guide. bcc9

When Chameleon2 installed, it will use /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist instead of Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist thats why your video doesnt work, because its not loading the efi strings.

Incomplete shutdowns, theres no fix for that yet, just restart the laptop and press the power button 1 sec it will shutdown.

For the battery you need to patch AppleACPI kext, did you do that? Did you copied dsdt.aml to root ( / )?.......

When Chameleon2 installed, it will use /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist instead of Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist thats why your video doesnt work, because its not loading the efi strings.

Incomplete shutdowns, theres no fix for that yet, just restart the laptop and press the power button 1 sec it will shutdown.

For the battery you need to patch AppleACPI kext, did you do that? Did you copied dsdt.aml to root ( / )?.......

For the battery, I patched and installed that kext, am I suppose too copy only the dsdt.aml to my root or to /Extra?

To bcc9 : how did you manage to get graphics on external ports working ?
For VGA, with OSX booted, I plug in the VGA monitor, VGA monitor goes black (laptop monitor stays working normally), hit settings->display->detect displays under OSX, and viola.

With DVI/HDMI, the external monitor comes up without hitting 'detect displays'.

With chameleon you don't need to make a new com.apple.boot.plist, you can stick with the standard OSX location.

I recommend this actually, as chameleon will pick up an alternate boot.plist from the active partition's /Extra directory even if the system is booting another partition. Quite confusing&surprising behavior if you have multiple OSX installs.

gambit posted a fix to force the shutdown even though the hacked AppleHDA doesn't want to shut down cleanly.

Why when i install the hid2hci (to fix bluethooth) program from bcc9, everything comes out successful but still dosent work, is there any little step that am missing? [ i just downloaded the file and installed ]. I have even tried to install it manually from terminal on sudo -s priviledges. Any Ideas why?? am using 10.5.7.

Once again, Thanks for your help guys.

hid2hci__direct_.tiff

hid2hci__sudo_.tiff

System_Profiler__Bluetooth_.tiff

I have same problem as it described in the last post, also found no sollution to fix it anyway.

Would be nive to have a bt-connection.

There is another problem, maybe someone has the same.

I bought a Terratec Phase X24 Studio Soundcard, its connected via firewire. The soundcard works perfect, but there is no plug and play support yet. So i lost the connection in running system, p.e. when i throw the cable and connect it. Then the soundcard is listed in the soundpreferences, but does not produce sound. Most of the audio/video programs then crash or freeze. Maybe someone knows to reset the firewire bus, or knows the terminal commands to fix this when i got this problem. Cause everytime i lost sound i must restart, its so busy... :-/ Plug and play in general works perfect, if i throw in my firewire harddisk in running system, its loaded normally.