Dell XPS 1340 mostly working with OSX 10.5.6,10.5.7

bcc9

514 posts in this topic

Check whether lid close suspends the system. If not, you don't have the dsdt change installed&working. The dsdt filename must be exactly DSDT.aml, not what you wrote above, unless you configure a different name with your boot.plist.

If lid close works, boot with -v and check for error of the form "ACPI: EC <number> register GPE handler failed". If you see that error, you don't have my AppleACPIPlatform change installed right.

Otherwise, make sure voodoobattery is running and assuming it is, try the voodoobattery debug instructions over at superhai.com.

hi, thanks for the reply! i have the file written as DSDT.aml, just like you have it, and when i close my lid, that doesnt put my computer to sleep. did i do something wrong with chameleon? sorry, but how do i boot with -v?

thanks!!!!

hi, thanks for the reply! i have the file written as DSDT.aml, just like you have it, and when i close my lid, that doesnt put my computer to sleep. did i do something wrong with chameleon?
Seems that way; I assume you installed Chameleon 2.0RC1 or RC2.

could it be because i have the A07 bios? i sure hope not, mine runs much cooler on A07...

ok, it now shows a battery icon with an x in it... but no battery status, and it says now battery available... i formatted it again and started over, but i cannot get it to work correctly... i have got to be doing somethign wrong, do you know what it is?

thanks again!!!

could it be because i have the A07 bios? i sure hope not, mine runs much cooler on A07...
A06, A07, and the pulled A08 bioses have identical DSDT.

yes, i installed 2.0 is there some way i need to configure it?
You need not configure anything.

sorry, but how do i boot with -v

Can't believe you asked me that. Check a newbie thread or even the chameleon "docs"

A06, A07, and the pulled A08 bioses have identical DSDT.

You need not configure anything.

Can't believe you asked me that. Check a newbie thread or even the chameleon "docs"

ok, sorry for asking that, i figured it out tho :( it was pretty easy actually, i just figured that while i was here i would just ask real quick.

anyways... i reformatted my computer and went down your list, step by step, doing a reboot after each step, i did everything, including audio, mouse/keyboard, and the intel Speedstep thing. i then downloaded the appleachpci 10.5.6 v2 from the bottom of the page because the link up in the instructions is broken (maybe that is my problem?) and i copied it to where you said to. rebooted, copied DSDT.aml to the /Extra folder, rebooted, everything was fine (i know that reboot wasnt necessary, i just wanted to be safe :D) i then installed chameleon, rebooted, selected osx, and it was fine again (still no battery icon) i then installed voodooBattery, rebooted, and now it wont boot, it goes to the apple, and says to hold down the power button. the error is:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x00434A1F): "unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.9.59/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1407

Can you please tell me what i might have done wrong? thank you for your help!!!!!!

ok, sorry for asking that, i figured it out tho :) it was pretty easy actually, i just figured that while i was here i would just ask real quick.

anyways... i reformatted my computer and went down your list, step by step, doing a reboot after each step, i did everything, including audio, mouse/keyboard, and the intel Speedstep thing. i then downloaded the appleachpci 10.5.6 v2 from the bottom of the page because the link up in the instructions is broken (maybe that is my problem?) and i copied it to where you said to. rebooted, copied DSDT.aml to the /Extra folder, rebooted, everything was fine (i know that reboot wasnt necessary, i just wanted to be safe :) ) i then installed chameleon, rebooted, selected osx, and it was fine again (still no battery icon) i then installed voodooBattery, rebooted, and now it wont boot, it goes to the apple, and says to hold down the power button. the error is:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x00434A1F): "unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.9.59/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1407

Can you please tell me what i might have done wrong? thank you for your help!!!!!!

also, i thought i would add, i have actually formatted and gone thru this process like 3 times, all three times i get the same error :)

ok, sorry for asking that, i figured it out tho :( it was pretty easy actually, i just figured that while i was here i would just ask real quick.
I cannot explain how to do this better than existing documentation so it is not in-fact easier to re-document the basics here. Not too mention too time consuming and would make maintaining the instructions harder (which is already quite a chore). Since you say you are seeing an apple screen then you're still not booting with -v.

anyways... i reformatted my computer and went down your list, step by step, doing a reboot after each step, i did everything, including audio, mouse/keyboard, and the intel Speedstep thing. i then downloaded the appleachpci 10.5.6 v2 from the bottom of the page because the link up in the instructions is broken (maybe that is my problem?) and i copied it to where you said to. rebooted, copied DSDT.aml to the /Extra folder, rebooted, everything was fine (i know that reboot wasnt necessary, i just wanted to be safe :( ) i then installed chameleon, rebooted, selected osx, and it was fine again (still no battery icon) i then installed voodooBattery, rebooted, and now it wont boot, it goes to the apple, and says to hold down the power button. the error is:

The bulletin board mangled one of my edits so the 10.5.6 link is broken; will fix.

Sounds like you didn't install the appleacpiplatform change right, and the change didn't bite you until later as you also didn't update your kext cache at the time. You need to preserve permissions and ownerships just as you do for installing a kext. Recommend you copy the original appleacpiplatform.kext, make the change to the copy, and install the change with a kext helper. Or at this point, just fix the permissions and rebuild the kext cache.

also, i thought i would add, i have actually formatted and gone thru this process like 3 times, all three times i get the same error :)
Normally you can just boot single user and fix any kext flubs. It's crazy that you're installing over&over instead. Worst case you have to boot a different OS install, mount the problem partition and fix it that way.

I seem to have problems installing DSDT patch after reading the above comments. I am wondering how to properly install the DSDT.aml patch. I have Chameleon RC2 installed and put the DSDT.aml v3 bcc9 posted in the /Extra/DSDT.aml. Is there anything else I need to do, e.g a flag in the /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist? I am getting really frustrated. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thank you :-)

Another problem I have is sleeping. My 1340 goes to sleep for a second or so and wakes up immediately after following the list of fixes in this thread. Is there anything wrong or did I miss anything ? is there a fix for this problem?

Hi All, and thanks for the great guide and for everyone's input. It has been extremely helpful.

I only received my 1340 on Wednesday, but by default it came with the older 1510 wireless, so having working wireless OTB was an added bonus.

I have everything working (of what has been identified as working) bar audio and sleep. I haven't touched audio at all, so no worries there, but I can't for the life of me get this machine to go to sleep when the lid goes down. I'm dual booting this machine with Windows 7 RTM and and oddly enough I can't get it to go to sleep when the lid goes down either, but I dont think there is a connection there as Windows7 reports a VGA Driver error is the cause of its insomnia.

For what its worth, Im running XxX 10.5.6. I updated the AppleACPIPlatform as outlined in the first post, I then installed the DSDT.aml from the front page (Version 2 I believe), installed the latest version of Chameleon (same as BCC9 is using in the first post) and installed VoodooBattery.

Once I re-booted, the battery icon in the top tool bar was visible, but it would not update from its starting position. For example, if battery was at 95% at boot, it would stay saying 95% no matter if I used the machine on battery power for the next hour, or if I plugged in the ac cable. And no sleep when the lid was put down either.....

I upgraded to the DSDT.aml v3 thats on page 22 of this topic. With that file, the battery indicator updates perfectly (I've watched it go from 95% to 98% while typing this post), but if I put the lid down, the machine refuses to sleep.

From what I can gather, I *should* have the AppleACPIPlatform working properly otherwise the battery icon would just show a big fat 'X' in it. By going from DSDT v2 to DSDT v3 and the battery icon now updating properly *should* show that I have DSDT installed and working properly. Seen as the machine isn't doing what it should be, obviously there is something wrong in my logic above.

Now of course I could send the machine to sleep by clicking on the apple button, but now after dedicating far too many hours, and even re-formatting twice for good measure, pride is at stake and I can't let it go.

For the sake of completeness, my bios is A07 and I have scoured through it to make sure that i have no events like wake on usb enabled that might be causing the problem. I have also scoured the logs through both -v and console, and the only thing of any note is :

22/08/09 12:47:49 AM kernel Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.

From doing some reading on that problem that seems to be fairly common and not something to be worried about.

Once again, thanks for everyone who has contributed in enabling OS X on the 1340, but I would greatly appreciate any help in what might be causing my complete and utter won't go to sleep on lid close ever problem

I cannot explain how to do this better than existing documentation so it is not in-fact easier to re-document the basics here. Not too mention too time consuming and would make maintaining the instructions harder (which is already quite a chore). Since you say you are seeing an apple screen then you're still not booting with -v.

The bulletin board mangled one of my edits so the 10.5.6 link is broken; will fix.

Sounds like you didn't install the appleacpiplatform change right, and the change didn't bite you until later as you also didn't update your kext cache at the time. You need to preserve permissions and ownerships just as you do for installing a kext. Recommend you copy the original appleacpiplatform.kext, make the change to the copy, and install the change with a kext helper. Or at this point, just fix the permissions and rebuild the kext cache.

Normally you can just boot single user and fix any kext flubs. It's crazy that you're installing over&over instead. Worst case you have to boot a different OS install, mount the problem partition and fix it that way.

bcc9: thanks alot for all the help, i now have it working fully functional, and im very pleased with my experience. i however cannot get bluetooth working to save my life. according to your first post, it should be working out of the box, however mine wont work at all, i cannot get to a bluetooth icon at all, and i cannot add a mouse or anything. is there something that i need to add? all i want to have working is my mouse, however i cannot add it. thanks again

bcc9: thanks alot for all the help, i now have it working fully functional, and im very pleased with my experience. i however cannot get bluetooth working to save my life. according to your first post, it should be working out of the box, however mine wont work at all, i cannot get to a bluetooth icon at all, and i cannot add a mouse or anything. is there something that i need to add? all i want to have working is my mouse, however i cannot add it. thanks again
Bluetooth seems a bit finicky. You ran hid2hci? You have the bluetooth radio turned on? Works under windows? Broadcom device for the 370 shows up under usb devices, or bluetooth devices? Perhaps you need to pair the mouse with windows first. Try also re-logging in after running hid2hci.

I can't for the life of me get this machine to go to sleep when the lid goes down.
Seems like you have the dsdt change working so I don't get why your lid status isn't working as well. As you close the lid, do you see the screen go black when it's nearly closed? That should work even when the OS is ignorant of the lid state. If it's not working then you've got a mechanical problem I think.

Seems like you have the dsdt change working so I don't get why your lid status isn't working as well. As you close the lid, do you see the screen go black when it's nearly closed? That should work even when the OS is ignorant of the lid state. If it's not working then you've got a mechanical problem I think.

It was mechanical, well sort of. I knew when the lid was down that the screen turned off, but I didn't know if the keyboard etc would. So I closed the lid like I normally would, didnt enter sleep. Using your suggestion I pulled the lid down until it was almost closed, but enough so I could just see the screen. Not only did the screen turn off, the machine actually entered sleep. Opened the lid and the system came back up again. Pulled the lid down slowly and the machine entered sleep again.

So as long as I leave a tiny pause just before the lid physically closes, it all works! Horray, thanks for your help!

Just doing a random question I think it has been talked before, but im not 100% sure. Had you all Atheros wifi card owners tried SL kext?? I just installed SL and noticed that the kext is built in 32bit architecture. So maybe it will work in Leopard, hadnt trieD?? cheers

I know I'm a little late to the game, but I'd like to thank everyone for the progress on this notebook.

Has anyone been able to get proper headphone output? If not, it maybe it is possible though an expresscard or USB device. It seems like a fairly important feature to me. I am also not able to get my bluetooth working properly, I however do not believe I can tell which card I have in here because I neglected to do so before formatting the HD

Just doing a random question I think it has been talked before, but im not 100% sure. Had you all Atheros wifi card owners tried SL kext?? I just installed SL and noticed that the kext is built in 32bit architecture. So maybe it will work in Leopard, hadnt trieD?? cheers
Yes this has been answered a few times and is in post #1. Yes it works. Yes it's 32 bit only (I wonder why; you'd think all OS kexts would be required to support both 32&64).

Well...one of the SL main features is the 64 bit support. I really dont understand why the atheros driver isnt built in 64 bit tbh. Is it wrong to think like that oO?
Yes, that's basically what I wrote. Yet it's still 32 bit only in the "gold" 10a432 build.

Yes, that's basically what I wrote. Yet it's still 32 bit only in the "gold" 10a432 build.

Should we start a new thread for the snow leopard on studio XPS 1340?

This will be very helpful for newbies in setting up their system.

Should we start a new thread for the snow leopard on studio XPS 1340?
Probably. I did just get audio working under snow leopard using stock AppleHDA (no more hacked 10.5.3 version!!) , so I think it now works well enough for every day use.

This will be very helpful for newbies in setting up their system.
Well probably there should also be a separate thread for newbies. I prefer a learn&do it yourself approach and I don't have time to also support true newbie questions or installers.

Probably. I did just get audio working under snow leopard using stock AppleHDA (no more hacked 10.5.3 version!!) , so I think it now works well enough for every day use.

Any luck with "mic in" in Snow Leopard? I'm assuming the audio is a lot more stable due to the later driver.

Well probably there should also be a separate thread for newbies. I prefer a learn&do it yourself approach and I don't have time to also support true newbie questions or installers.

Do you mind sharing how you get audio using stock AppleHDA.kext in Snow leopard? Any other issues relating to this particular laptop? Thank you for your reply

Do you mind sharing how you get audio using stock AppleHDA.kext in Snow leopard? Any other issues relating to this particular laptop?
I started a new snow leopard thread here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181293

with that addressed. New improvements:

• No more EFI string required at all in com.apple.boot.plist
    Uses generic AppleHDA, so no more shutdown hang
    Dell 1515 802.11 works out of the box
    No more IOPCIFamily change
    Patch script to make AppleACPIPlatform change simple

Any luck with "mic in" in Snow Leopard? I'm assuming the audio is a lot more stable due to the later driver.
The mic(s) still aren't working with my first try, but that should be fixable with the stock drivers. There must be a mistake in the pathmap. Maybe someone else could review it and provide the fix...

Wow this thread is awesome. I got my refurb 1340 a week ago and I followed instructions on this thread to the letter. I do have the older 1510 wireless so it was working fine. The only problem I seem to have atm is that I can't dual boot it. I have it running Vista Home Premium for now. My attempt at dual booting starts with partitioning the HD (I have a 500GB drive) and setting the partition as a "simple drive", which according to Microsoft means that it is viewed as a separate HD or something. I installed Mac OS X using XxX 10.5.6 and it runs fine the first restart, internet and all. I did install the latest version Chameleon but whenever I restart the computer after the first install it goes to the boot:0 boot: main screen. I tried other guides like using the Vista disk to set the partition as active, but it says it can't. Any solution?

Specs:

Dell Studio XPS 1340

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 @ 2.4ghz

4GB DDR3 RAM

500GB SATA HDD @ 7200RPM

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M G

Dell Wireless 1510 Wireless N WLAN Mini-Card

Windows Vista Home Premium (soon to be Windows 7 courtesy of free Dell upgrade)

Also when Leopard ran after the first install I noticed that it can only run in 1024 x 768 resolution. Is that the only resolution or can mod or fix allow a higher resolution for the monitor? Thanks!

Wow this thread is awesome. I got my refurb 1340 a week ago and I followed instructions on this thread to the letter. I do have the older 1510 wireless so it was working fine. The only problem I seem to have atm is that I can't dual boot it. I have it running Vista Home Premium for now. My attempt at dual booting starts with partitioning the HD (I have a 500GB drive) and setting the partition as a "simple drive", which according to Microsoft means that it is viewed as a separate HD or something. I installed Mac OS X using XxX 10.5.6 and it runs fine the first restart, internet and all. I did install the latest version Chameleon but whenever I restart the computer after the first install it goes to the boot:0 boot: main screen. I tried other guides like using the Vista disk to set the partition as active, but it says it can't. Any solution?
I don't know if you used a GUID or MBR partitioning scheme. With MBR partitioning, chameleon can only handle booting from a primary partition (#1 thru 4). The current chameleon bootloader doesn't handle booting from extended partitions. That error makes me think you might be having a problem with that, or just that your active partition is not set to be your OSX root partition. chameleon should be able to chainload windows (disclaimer: I use grub to do my chainloading).

Also when Leopard ran after the first install I noticed that it can only run in 1024 x 768 resolution. Is that the only resolution or can mod or fix allow a higher resolution for the monitor? Thanks!
You should get 1280x800 automatically. I did clean up the procedure for 10.6, you might be better off with that guide :D