Dell XPS 1340 mostly working with OSX 10.5.6,10.5.7

bcc9

514 posts in this topic

I have already tried injecting 9200m gs data to the com.apple.Boot.plist, the problem is that when injecting the data it wont boot at all, but feel free to try whatever you want!,

Theres another thread talking about the problems of getting the 9200m gs working, in some hp laptops, they have the same issue, black screen, computer freezed, maybe its a problem of.....nvcap? But I dont think nvcap values freezes boot, not sure though..

any quick tutorial on how to use usb boot 132 and another usb drive to do retail install? I don't fee like burning the retail image to a dvd+R DL. Thank you.

btw, I am suprised by the performance of the MCP79(geforece 9400M) It can play mainstream dx9/10 games at 60fps with the lowest setting. It's sufficient for a 13.3'' display. I believe it has 16 universal stream units(pixel/vertex combined). Can't wait for this babe to be fully hacked to work in leopard/snow leopard. great alternative to mac book.

any quick tutorial on how to use usb boot 132 and another usb drive to do retail install? I don't fee like burning the retail image to a dvd+R DL. Thank you.

btw, I am suprised by the performance of the MCP79(geforece 9400M) It can play mainstream dx9/10 games at 60fps with the lowest setting. It's sufficient for a 13.3'' display. I believe it has 16 universal stream units(pixel/vertex combined). Can't wait for this babe to be fully hacked to work in leopard/snow leopard. great alternative to mac book.

well,, you can just use disk utility to dump the dmg to a usb drive if you already have leopard or tiger installed... if not then you can use Leopard HD Installer Helper v0.3 to dump the iso(can use transmac to convert .dmg to .iso of the retail to a usb drive and then boot off of the drive with boot 132 disk entering 81 or 82 depending on the no of internal hdds you have...

here is the link to a tutorial on this

havent tried this myself yet...!!!! best of luck.. do let us know abt the results...

dell 14z same or different ?

looking at the dell 14z, with bigger battery,

would think, should be almost the same as the xps 13 ( 1340) ,

anybody have some news / specs,

any easy way to have osx on USB, and give it a shot ?

or a live linux USB, to get the device ID's ?

doublepost! =D...

So I just found out a friend of mine has the new macbookpro, I see something different in this one, theres something in the graphics information "gmux version" they talk something in some thread about this all in the dsdt.

Also I changed graphic card to see what changes, and yes..it only changes the display from one card to another....

Ill make a research about that gmux version, I think it has something to do with all this!

Cheers

lmao, Ok ill try to not get offended by the "its better to ignore" part :P ..anyway, testing!

Thanks dude! have a nice weekend! :)

edit: works perfect! rawr

Good, it was meant to be a constructive comment, kind of like a "how to get help" type FAQ entry.

So VoodooPS2Controller seems pretty good now; I've updated post#1 with guides on getting that going, and updated my rc.wakeup script&instructions so that it doesn't try to reload the trackpad (as that's no longer necessary with the fix).

Curious: Did you manage to get a deal from dell on the 9 cell battery since your original wore out so fast?

Oh, no I just took advantage that a cousin was comming from Washington and buy it..weird that 6cell battery goes for 150 dollars when 9 cell battery goes for 100 dollars lmao...But..well my crazy battery with crazy wear levels, I will just ask for an exchange before my warranty expires.......And then I'll ask again for the possibility of getting a 9 cell battery, that would be 2x9cell battery 10 hours of battery =D crazy..........

Mh cant found anything yet about gmux thing!

iwas trying to get the device path of the nvidia cards... and i used gfutil and with the command -f display i got only one device path... was hoping for 2...

the device path is PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x10,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0).... well am gonna try to inject it in the efi strings... see wat happens....

Edit: i have one more problem... when i drag a window it just be comes transparent and if i scroll something in a window the first icons remain there and the icons scrolled up appear only after i click on them.... its weird... hard to explain... but may be cuz i didnt enter the efi strings for 9400m may be dats y.... nebody having that issue??

Its because you dont have QE and CI enabled. And the device path are in the first post, no need to do those steps again, also If you download mbp ioreg and dsdt you can see the graphic cards and everything....Its almost the same but it just doesnt work!

well well well... i might be getting somewhere.... okay this is wat i did...

i have used modified boot 132 disk image to install retail leopard... then i didnt use any of the mods that mentioned here... cuz i wanted to work on the 9200m gs....

as mentioned b4 i got only one device path with -f display command....

i used a generic 256 mb nvidia card .plist from aquamac forums.... and renamed the card as Nvidia 9500M GE and obviously changed the device path....

i then generated the hex with this plist... and then placed the hex in the com.apple.boot.plist and rebooted back into the system with the same disk.. and viola!!!

the card is recognised by the os x and i have a resolution of 1280 x 800.... and i dont know wat qe / ic or whatever they are...(i just logged in mac 3rd time today)

so either i created the efi string for the 9400m which we already had or i got 9400m+9200m gs together as one working in os x...

only way to find out would be if bcc9 says that the device path i got was the same for 9400m !!!!

Edit: the vram size is 256 mb... cuz i didnt change the size of the memory... am gonna try it now... with 512mb....see wat happens!!!

Its because you dont have QE and CI enabled. And the device path are in the first post, no need to do those steps again, also If you download mbp ioreg and dsdt you can see the graphic cards and everything....Its almost the same but it just doesnt work!

ok... so i guess i will have that weird problem of mine solved... thanks...

but the device path i mentioned was different from the device path bcc9 mentioned earlier... so i thought lets try wat i had to work with...

neways i have it working.. just dont know which one!!! lol

Lol, You know that you can setup the plist to tell osx you have 2tb of video ram? It doesnt change anything, its just the data displayed. Thats first, then if you used another device path then you are using the 9400m device path, that is the device path you got with the command.

As far as I understand most of the information injected by the plist is..just information, i mean, the name the size, etc.......So you can setup the card as a 295 GTX and it will show that.

Anyway, to check which card you are using just go to system profiler, graphics and you'll see one card in the PCI bus and other in the PCI-E bus, the pci=9400m, pci-e=9200gs

Check it and you'll know..

Lol, You know that you can setup the plist to tell osx you have 2tb of video ram? It doesnt change anything, its just the data displayed. Thats first, then if you used another device path then you are using the 9400m device path, that is the device path you got with the command.

As far as I understand most of the information injected by the plist is..just information, i mean, the name the size, etc.......So you can setup the card as a 295 GTX and it will show that.

Anyway, to check which card you are using just go to system profiler, graphics and you'll see one card in the PCI bus and other in the PCI-E bus, the pci=9400m, pci-e=9200gs

Check it and you'll know..

k thanks for the info... appreciate it...

i'll surely check it... but wat i dont understand is how bcc9 got the device path then??? and why cant i get the second device path??? may be should try to turn off one of the graphic cards...

Update: You were right pmcnano.... the device path i had was of 9400M....

i was playing around with efistudio and i used the pc info tab in it which displays the device detail info using LSPCI....

there are two vga controllers listed...

1. VGA COMPATIBLE CONTROLLER: nVidia Corporation GeForce 9200M GS

2. VGA COMPATIBLE CONTROLLER: nVidia Corporation Unknown device

the thing is in the properties the second one which is obviously 9400 is enabled at I/O ports at 5000 while 9200M GS is I/O ports at 4000 Disabled.... i dont know if it will be helpful...

Hello pratik, again my question, why are you trying to get the device path for the 2nd video card if its already given?? Anyway, you can check it in the ioreg, or ioregistryexplorer if im right..thats the gui for the ioreg.

Anyway, I didnt understand where did you get the IO ports thing. Which properties?

i was playing around with efistudio and i used the pc info tab in it which displays the device detail info using LSPCI....

there are two vga controllers listed...

1. VGA COMPATIBLE CONTROLLER: nVidia Corporation GeForce 9200M GS

2. VGA COMPATIBLE CONTROLLER: nVidia Corporation Unknown device

the thing is in the properties the second one which is obviously 9400 is enabled at I/O ports at 5000 while 9200M GS is I/O ports at 4000 Disabled.... i dont know if it will be helpful...

If you install lspci and lspcidrv.kext from osx86utils, then you can run:

lspci -vn

and

lspci -t

and you'll see the pci ids for the 2 video devices. With the -t output, you can see that the 9400 part is connected via a controller at 10.0, and for the 9200 part you should see that it is connected via a controller at 0c.0. Thus the devicepaths I've posted in post #1. Congrats you'll at this point verified that old work.

Next go to my post about adding plist entries for the PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x0c,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0) part methodically and checking the results with the ioreg command. See also the posts about macbook pro ioregistry contents for ideas on the necessary and sufficient set of attributes to add to the 9200m device.

If you install lspci and lspcidrv.kext from osx86utils, then you can run:

lspci -vn

and

lspci -t

and you'll see the pci ids for the 2 video devices. With the -t output, you can see that the 9400 part is connected via a controller at 10.0, and for the 9200 part you should see that it is connected via a controller at 0c.0. Thus the devicepaths I've posted in post #1. Congrats you'll at this point verified that old work.

Next go to my post about adding plist entries for the PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x0c,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0) part methodically and checking the results with the ioreg command. See also the posts about macbook pro ioregistry contents for ideas on the necessary and sufficient set of attributes to add to the 9200m device.

huh???? i was with you till the device paths... then you completely lost me with the ioreg and stuff... like i said i am almost a noob.... so will google all of this and get back to you in a day or two...

and i did try the device path that you mentioned.... i added the entry in the combined plist that you had made... so 2 gpus and audio device and then entered the hex in com.apple.boot.plist.... but like everybody else... same result... the internal is turned off... however i saw the hdd activity lights flashing....

do you think a different NVCAP value could get it to output to the correct display???

huh???? i was with you till the device paths... then you completely lost me with the ioreg and stuff... like i said i am almost a noob.... so will google all of this and get back to you in a day or two...

and i did try the device path that you mentioned.... i added the entry in the combined plist that you had made... so 2 gpus and audio device and then entered the hex in com.apple.boot.plist.... but like everybody else... same result... the internal is turned off... however i saw the hdd activity lights flashing....

do you think a different NVCAP value could get it to output to the correct display???

Please guys, this is supposed to be a genuis bar thread, could we keep the newbie questions in a separate thread. You probably should start a new newbie thread if you want to ask such questions.

If you look back in this very thread you should see that details of what you're asking have already been discussed.

One obviously (as it has repeatedly been reported to fail) don't just add the device path to the plist, one needs to figure out the necessary&sufficient set of attributes that go along with it to get the stock nvidia driver to pick up the secondary card.

The NVCAP question is answered by looking at how things work with the macbook pros that have 2 nvidia pci devices.

Whazzup guys quick question...

- Did anybody found a solution or sort of solution for the atheros 1515?

- In mac is there something on Safe Mode such as System Restore, as i keep messing up the extensions sometimes and i need to reinstall. Any way round it to roll back or save me all the trouble?

Thanks a lot guys, take care and speak to you soon.

Well you can just delete the extensions you dont need! in single user mode.........

Anyway, practik, here's bcc9's combined (audio video) plist...with the extra device (9200gs) it has all the keys....that the actual mbp has, you can delete one by one and check. My results was that the display key's are the one's that {censored} up the system.

Cheers

combined.zip

the AppleHda.kext breaks shutdown for me... the os unloads and the screen turns off but the power doesnt turn off.... i am pretty sure that its applehda.kext... cuz i installed all the kext and individually and checked shutdown twice for each individal kexts.... am i doing nething wrong??

Dude, you have to read a little bit, thats a known issue, there's no good fix for it atm, theres a file somewhere in the thread to fix it..but it also break it sometimes so at least I dont use it....I just restart and press the power button.

rawr

Just bumping the thread, I just recieved my 9cell battery, well in osx it reports 3:45 minutes of battery life. Of course under windows I get almost 5 hours lol...

With the 9cell battery the laptop is more de-balanced. It tilts the laptop like 15º. I hadnt used it that much to tell how much it helps in heat dissipation.

Also, I just noticed theres a Card-reader driver from voodoo, no SD card to try it atm.

Cheers!

Nano

Been playing with snow leopard on this laptop, and user zerotri found that with an nvidia injector solution, you can get working graphics QE/CI without my IOPCIFamily modification.

I've investigated further and found that in 10.5.x, I was able to modify Natit to enable graphics QE/CI without my IOPCIFamily change or static EFI graphics change. I think this is a bit simpler setup, and may finally allow 9500m systems to enable their 9200m device. So hopefully someone with a 9500m could try the following.

1. Disable my IOPCIFamily change, either by putting back the original kext or adding the following to your boot options: io=0x02000000 (I added this option to my modified kext to allow you to revert to stock behavior).
  2. Take the graphics EFI string out of your com.apple.Boot.plist. Attached is a version with just the audio EFI string for your convenience
  3. Install my modified Natit.kext. This kext will inject the same EFI strings as before, but should do so for both the 9200m&9400m devices, without the IOPCIFamily change.

Natit.bcc9.zip

audio.plist.txt

Natit.bcc9.src.zip