Dell XPS 1340 mostly working with OSX 10.5.6,10.5.7

bcc9

514 posts in this topic

Just to tell you that I am not using voodoo power and voodoo battery, just using vanilla Appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext and recompiled vanilla AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext. The CPU throttles correctly and the battery meter works ok. Here are my AppleACPIBatteryManager kext and my dsdt (slightly modified from bcc9's as to enable Appleintelcpupowermanagement to work correctly).
Sounds promising. I seem to have thrown out my 10.5.7 copy of AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, can someone point me to a copy so that I can try this? (blush) Nevermind, I have the 10.5.8 version now.

Actually I tried it under snow leopard and it didn't work for me. With VoodooPower, my CPU multiplier throttles down from 9X to 6X. With this modified dsdt, and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, the cpu stays pegged at 9X.

Can you tell me what the relevent change to the dsdt was? All the changes look cosmetic (replacing _T with T0 to avoid aml compiler warnings, etc.)

With this, it is easier to upgrade, you do not need any disablers and no script to remove appleintelcpupowermanagement during upgrades.
If you keep your kexts in /Extra, and use NullCPUPowerManagement, then hackintosh upgrades can be done as if the system is genuine.

Also I thought pmcnano tried this back in this post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1210582

but I couldn't quite understand what he wrote :(

I cant check it since cpu-x doesnt report voltage here. Dont know why.
You can check your voltages with the GenericCPUPMControl gui application, or with the vpower command line application. 'vpower v' reports the voltage for the cpus. [edit: except these won't work unless vodoopower is running...]

If we can get get AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement to throttle down to the super-lfm modes then it would obviously be a lot better than VoodooPower.

Sorry again for my non-explained posts. I found in another page (its in spanish sorry) a method that will make your system use speedstep via DSDT, but It didnt worked. So nevermind that.

On the other side, yea, using IntelCPUPowerManagement.kext actually loaded increases my battery life. I hadnt check voltages yet, but I will and I will report.

So to make it short, at the moment for me, the best solution is VoodooPower + Vanilla IntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

=)

edit: btw, 10.5.8 has been released!

I should backpeddle and just say that with the "power over esata" standard being MIA, there seems to be no powered esata enclosures for sale in the US, and it's not clear whether esata+usb combo ports conform to the standard. There is this enclosure: http://www.delock.com/produkte/gruppen/Geh...SATA_42465.html but US pricing&availablility&compatability info is missing. If the "power over esata" standard winds up simply being esata+usb combo ports then there's hope that we can eventually buy a solution without building a custom cable.
Just an update on this. I just bought this: http://newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_p...products_id=235

"enclosure" and I now have a working powered esata solution on my 1340.

Details in this thread: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=349325

Sounds promising. I seem to have thrown out my 10.5.7 copy of AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, can someone point me to a copy so that I can try this? (blush)

Actually I tried it under snow leopard and it didn't work for me. With VoodooPower, my CPU multiplier throttles down from 9X to 6X. With this modified dsdt, and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, the cpu stays pegged at 9X.

Can you tell me what the relevent change to the dsdt was? All the changes look cosmetic (replacing _T with T0 to avoid aml compiler warnings, etc.)

I am using the following asl compiler:

Intel ACPI Component Architecture

ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20080926 [Oct 4 2008]

Copyright © 2000 - 2008 Intel Corporation

Supports ACPI Specification Revision 3.0a

with this compiler, I cannot have code like this:

While (One)

{

Name (_T_0, Zero)

Store (Arg0, _T_0)

}

without getting an error regarding the name definition inside of a while loop and so to compile the dsdt I had to move all the name definitions outside loops like this:

Name (_T_0, Zero)

While (One)

{

Store (Arg0, _T_0)

}

It is either this change or the version of the compiler I am using that would be different from others that use AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

Regarding the super-lfm modes, it seems I am stuck at 1.068 V as the minimum voltage at idle. I am using MSR tools to check the CPU voltage and get the following results (see the attached image).

Regards !

post-104928-1249524778_thumb.png

I dont think The voltage is reported correctly..........but check this out..........ill post a pic in some minutes!

edit:

Ok, I DONT KNOW what changes when AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is loaded here are pics, I deleted the kext and restarted and magicaly from 4 hours (battery time) i went to 3 hours, restored and restarted and 4 hours again!...Here are pics, MSRtools reports something different than superhai's tool! And, btw If i unload voodoopower in msrtools it will stick at 1.6ghz......see by yourself..

post-120132-1249533679_thumb.png

post-120132-1249533757_thumb.png

post-120132-1249533791_thumb.png

post-120132-1249533821_thumb.png

The AppleACPIPlatform bug with the GPE registers remains in 10.5.8, so I've posted a fixed version for 10.5.8 in post #1.

System sleep is somehow broken in 10.5.8 (as reported by many users, not just this system) so it may not be worth upgrading yet.

IRegarding the super-lfm modes, it seems I am stuck at 1.068 V as the minimum voltage at idle.
So I don't get it. I tried AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement under 10.5.8 and it also doesn't allow the CPU to throttle across different P-states. The CPU stays pagged at 1 individual state. Are you seeing the P-states change dynamically without voodoopower?

If you kextunload VoodooPower, then the P-state remains frozen at whatever state it last left it at. So perhaps you were running voodoopower, switched to appleintelcpupowermanagent, and thought that it was throttling the cpu because of that.

Also I still don't see the point of the dsdt change you posted. I get that you used an older version of the aml compiler and so had to clean up cosmetic errors. But I posted a dsdt.aml that I pre-compiled with a newer version of the compiler and doesn't require those changes. I see no other difference in what you posted, and don't see why or how any of those changes would matter to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. Do you know which change does? (It doesn't make a difference in my testing).

Ok, I DONT KNOW what changes when AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is loaded here are pics, I deleted the kext and restarted and magicaly from 4 hours (battery time) i went to 3 hours, restored and restarted and 4 hours again!...Here are pics, MSRtools reports something different than superhai's tool! And, btw If i unload voodoopower in msrtools it will stick at 1.6ghz......
In your screen shots I notice that msr tools and cpu-x aren't even agreeing on the current core speed. I think this shows that the two applications are fighting over getting the status info from the hardware. On my machine MSR tools readily hogs 100% of the CPU and so it seems to really be misbehaving.

The fact that unloading voodoopower shows your cpu sticking at one rate shows that AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement isn't working when it comes to managing P-states. I'm having that problem with it as well, and thus I don't see any benefit from appleintelcpupowermanagemnt. When you say your batter life changes between 3 & 4 hours depending upon just appleintelcpupowermanagemnt, how are you measuring? If you're just checking the time remaining reported by an application, maybe it is being faked out like msr tools above.

Also, my machine would not upgrade from 10.5.7 to 10.5.8 unless I ran disabler.kext to disable appleintelcpupowermanagemnt. Otherwise the system would crash at about 10% thru the upgrade. This was with cheesy's dsdt version of the dsdt loaded...

I don't see any benefit from appleintelcpupowermanagemnt.
Ok, I found a benefit :D . As of 10.5.8, sleep&resume only work when appleintelcpupowermanagement is loaded. Hmm. At least that's the only fix for the 10.5.8 sleep problem I've found so far.

So I don't get it. I tried AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement under 10.5.8 and it also doesn't allow the CPU to throttle across different P-states. The CPU stays pagged at 1 individual state. Are you seeing the P-states change dynamically without voodoopower?

Yes, the clock is idle at 1.6 GHz then goes to 2.53 GHz under increased CPU load. With MSR Tools I see the clock value changing.

If you kextunload VoodooPower, then the P-state remains frozen at whatever state it last left it at. So perhaps you were running voodoopower, switched to appleintelcpupowermanagent, and thought that it was throttling the cpu because of that.

Nope, voodoopower is not installed on my machine and never was.

Also I still don't see the point of the dsdt change you posted. I get that you used an older version of the aml compiler and so had to clean up cosmetic errors. But I posted a dsdt.aml that I pre-compiled with a newer version of the compiler and doesn't require those changes. I see no other difference in what you posted, and don't see why or how any of those changes would matter to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. Do you know which change does? (It doesn't make a difference in my testing).

I know that any of those changes should not matter.

Attached is my compiled dsdt.aml, try it, if it has to do with the compiler version we will then know.

Maybe it has to do with the CPU used (should not matter but...) my 1340 has the P8700.

Also, my machine would not upgrade from 10.5.7 to 10.5.8 unless I ran disabler.kext to disable appleintelcpupowermanagemnt. Otherwise the system would crash at about 10% thru the upgrade. This was with cheesy's dsdt version of the dsdt loaded...

I upgraded from 10.5.8 using software update without disabler.kext.

dsdt.aml.zip

Eh...well bcc9, I checked the remaining time in the battery status? Left my laptop IDLE and the remaining time is completely different with the kext loaded than unloaded (you have to restart).

Why dont you try it yourself??? It shouldnt be difficult to notice the difference, at least for me its pretty obvious.

edit:

@cheesy, could you please check your cpu freq with cpu-x?? I dont trust in msr tools, they tell me my idle cpu is @ 450mhz lol not even in windows i get that clock speed

Yes, the clock is idle at 1.6 GHz then goes to 2.53 GHz under increased CPU load. With MSR Tools I see the clock value changing.
I used your DSDT.aml, and same result - my p8600 cpu stays fixed at 1.6ghz, no change shown with msr tools or cpu-x. msr tools does still consume all the cpu and cause the system to hang if I use it for very long.

Eh...well bcc9, I checked the remaining time in the battery status? Left my laptop IDLE and the remaining time is completely different with the kext loaded than unloaded (you have to restart).

Why dont you try it yourself??? It shouldnt be difficult to notice the difference, at least for me its pretty obvious.

Um ya, I did try to find a way to get the battery icon to report time remaining (like it does under other OSes), but no such luck. That's why I asked. Under the battery icon details, it still shows "Power source: Power adapter" even when the icon itself has changed to show that the power source is the battery. With the battery icon configured for 'show->Time' it displays "(Charged)" even though 'show->Percentage' reports a number < 100%.

Here is a new dsdt I made that includes the graphics EFI strings for the 9400m.

With this dsdt you don't need either my Natit kext or my IOPCIFamily change to have working graphics QE/CI. You do still need to disable the IOPCIFamily change if you are using it, per my natit instructions:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1204995

I think this version is preferable as it eliminates all extra kext changes to support video, and the dsdt needed to be modified anyways. It is somewhat more complex in that one has to be able to compile dsdt to make any graphics config changes.

Works for me under 10.5.7,10.5.8, snow leopard.

dsdt.v3.zip

@bcc9:

Ok, now I didnt understand you. Just leave all like you used to have it, and delete any disabler kext for appleintelcpupm so it gets loaded. Thats all.

Executive summary: voodoobattery is busted as of 10.5.8, and I have no intelcpupowermanagement for 10.5.7. So I cannot help you troubleshoot your intelcpupowermanagement in the way that you ask.

Hi bcc9, thanks a lot for all of your help before. I hope you don't mind answering a few questions for me again... sorry for bothering you so much!

Currently I got the boot132 + retail disc + EFI Partition(Munky's method) working. I tried using your Natit.kext that you provided, but I still have the same problem: A blank/black screen. This is a completely clean install with no other drivers other than dsmos and VoodooPS2Controller. Is there a certain requirement for using the Natit.kext that I'm not aware of? Do you mind briefly outlining your retail install and how you installed your Natit.kext?

Also, for the new DSDT that you just created, I'm guessing that only applies for your guys XPS 1340 right? I am guessing not so good thing would happen if I use it. Speaking of using it, is it just a matter of having chameleon and placing the DSDT file in root, or is there an actual install process?

As always, thanks a lot for all your help and dedication!

EDIT: BTW, would kind of max screen resolution do you guys have? I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it, although it doesn't sound like it should... Mine is 720p: 1366x768.

Here is a new dsdt I made that includes the graphics EFI strings for the 9400m.

With this dsdt you don't need either my Natit kext or my IOPCIFamily change to have working graphics QE/CI. You do still need to disable the IOPCIFamily change if you are using it, per my natit instructions:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1204995

I think this version is preferable as it eliminates all extra kext changes to support video, and the dsdt needed to be modified anyways. It is somewhat more complex in that one has to be able to compile dsdt to make any graphics config changes.

Works for me under 10.5.7,10.5.8, snow leopard.

Currently I got the boot132 + retail disc + EFI Partition(Munky's method) working. I tried using your Natit.kext that you provided, but I still have the same problem: A blank/black screen. This is a completely clean install with no other drivers other than dsmos and VoodooPS2Controller. Is there a certain requirement for using the Natit.kext that I'm not aware of?
So HannibalX said the natit approach worked on the 14z, and another user just PMd me the same, and also indicated that the dsdt change worked too (although the 1340 dsdt on a 14z breaks battery, no surprise).

Probably you need to use a kext helper to get Natit installed correctly. If you boot with -v you should see natit reporting what it's doing about 3 times over during the boot process. Personally I use the /Extra approach for my kexts, so I installed Natit in /Extra/Extensions, and ran

rm -f /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Caches
kextcache -a i386 -K /mach_kernel -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions

Do you mind briefly outlining your retail install and how you installed your Natit.kext?
I started with XxX 10.5.6 actually. I outlined the steps in post #1 and throughout this thread, is there something that doesn't make sense?. There are many ways to get to the same result so there isn't a 1 mandatory way to do things recipe to post. Basically stock OS + dsmos + the other changes in post #1 to address platform specific issues.
Also, for the new DSDT that you just created, I'm guessing that only applies for your guys XPS 1340 right?
Yes a downside of dsdt moding is that the changes (which are often generic) are lumped into the platform specific tables. If you guys post the 14z dsdt I could probably help configure it. I see you already have a 14z thread for such things, here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=175003

If one of you follows up there about the dsdt and I'll take a look.

I am guessing not so good thing would happen if I use it. Speaking of using it, is it just a matter of having chameleon and placing the DSDT file in root, or is there an actual install process?
With chameleon, yes, just /DSDT.aml or /Extra/DSDT.aml.
EDIT: BTW, would kind of max screen resolution do you guys have? I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it, although it doesn't sound like it should... Mine is 720p: 1366x768.
The 1340 is 1280x800, which is automatically picked up by the nvidia driver (from the LCD display's EDID presumably). I assume the 14z only comes with 1 video card config: the 9400m, unlike the 1340 which can be 9400m or 9400m+9200m=9500m. The later case doesn't work with the natit I posted (though it should if one changes the Info.plist in natit to just match the 9400m PCI id and not the 9200m PCI id) Aka:

<key>IOPCIMatch</key><string>0x080010de&0x0f00ffff</string>

Thanks again for your detailed reply bcc9, your help is much appreciated!

Was the other user who just PMd about his success westep23 that just posted above? It's hard to deduce what is working and what is not since none of the 14z users are sharing any information.

I am using OSX86Tools to install the kexts since I got lazy :rolleyes: But I will do the manual terminal method just to make sure that there is nothing missing. I will also try to use the DSDT after I get Chameleon set up with the EFI partition. The battery is of secondary importance to me at the moment.

The 14z does only come with the 9400M, which your Natit.kext should theoretically be able to work with it. You raised an interesting point about the LCD's EDID. It seems like the Macbooks 13in all have native resolution of 1280x800 which could be the reason why the XPS 1340 has no trouble. But the 14z has 1366x768 which I am guessing OSX's NVidia driver doesn't know how to manage? I don't know if the NVCAP value in Natit.kext has to do with this, or something in the NVDAResman.kext. Or maybe I'm completely off all together..

Anyhow I'll be looking into EDID and screen resolution info, thanks again for all your help!

So HannibalX said the natit approach worked on the 14z, and another user just PMd me the same, and also indicated that the dsdt change worked too (although the 1340 dsdt on a 14z breaks battery, no surprise).

Probably you need to use a kext helper to get Natit installed correctly. If you boot with -v you should see natit reporting what it's doing about 3 times over during the boot process. Personally I use the /Extra approach for my kexts, so I installed Natit in /Extra/Extensions, and ran

rm -f /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Caches
 kextcache -a i386 -K /mach_kernel -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions

I started with XxX 10.5.6 actually. I outlined the steps in post #1 and throughout this thread, is there something that doesn't make sense?. There are many ways to get to the same result so there isn't a 1 mandatory way to do things recipe to post. Basically stock OS + dsmos + the other changes in post #1 to address platform specific issues.

Yes a downside of dsdt moding is that the changes (which are often generic) are lumped into the platform specific tables. If you guys post the 14z dsdt I could probably help configure it. I see you already have a 14z thread for such things, here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=175003

If one of you follows up there about the dsdt and I'll take a look.

With chameleon, yes, just /DSDT.aml or /Extra/DSDT.aml.

The 1340 is 1280x800, which is automatically picked up by the nvidia driver (from the LCD display's EDID presumably). I assume the 14z only comes with 1 video card config: the 9400m, unlike the 1340 which can be 9400m or 9400m+9200m=9500m. The later case doesn't work with the natit I posted (though it should if one changes the Info.plist in natit to just match the 9400m PCI id and not the 9200m PCI id) Aka:

<key>IOPCIMatch</key><string>0x080010de&0x0f00ffff</string>

Follewing the instructions posted by bcc9 using xXx 10.5.6 install DVD, I managed to get 10.5.6 installed on my 1340.

But sleep and resume don't work properly after installing sleepwatcher and scripts. It seems to sleep for a second and then goes back to normal immediately. After resume, trackpad works though. Any progress on fixing the shutdown issue caused by the old AppleHDA.kext? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Another issue I have is the about this mac not reporting correct system info. It's not showing correct CPU info. It says 2.4GHz processor, I believe it should say Intel core 2 duo 2.4ghz P8600, IN the memory, it says 4gb 667Mhz DDR2 instead of 4GB 1066Hhz DDR3. How can I correct this?

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600@2.4Ghz, 3MB L2 cache

2x2GB DDR3

320GB HDD

Nvidia Geforce 9400M G

Nvidia MCP79 Gigabit ethenet

Dell half-mini Wireless N 1510

Dell Bluetooth 370

IDT HD audio

Follewing the instructions posted by bcc9 using xXx 10.5.6 install DVD, I managed to get 10.5.6 installed on my 1340.

But sleep and resume don't work properly after installing sleepwatcher and scripts. It seems to sleep for a second and then goes back to normal immediately.

Sounds like something is interrupting the sleep request. Check your system.log for starters.
Any progress on fixing the shutdown issue caused by the old AppleHDA.kext? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Yes gambit posted a fix for that if you want

Another issue I have is the about this mac not reporting correct system info. It's not showing correct CPU info. It says 2.4GHz processor, I believe it should say Intel core 2 duo 2.4ghz P8600, IN the memory, it says 4gb 667Mhz DDR2 instead of 4GB 1066Hhz DDR3. How can I correct this?
With chameleon you can make the system info report whatever you want with /Extra/smbios.plist. For example
 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
 <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/
 PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
 <plist version="1.0">
 <dict>
	  <key>SMproductname</key>
	  <string>MacBook5,1</string>
	  <key>SMmemspeed</key>
	  <string>1066</string>
	  <key>SMexternalclock</key>
	  <string>266</string>
	  <key>SMmemtype</key>
	  <string>24</string>
 </dict>
 </plist>

To set the memory to ddr3, the system and memory clocks, and the system to a unibody macbook. Some of these, in particular the product name may affect (screw up) OSX upgrades.

Sounds like something is interrupting the sleep request. Check your system.log for starters. Yes gambit posted a fix for that if you want

With chameleon you can make the system info report whatever you want with /Extra/smbios.plist. For example

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
 <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/
 PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
 <plist version="1.0">
 <dict>
	  <key>SMproductname</key>
	  <string>MacBook5,1</string>
	  <key>SMmemspeed</key>
	  <string>1066</string>
	  <key>SMexternalclock</key>
	  <string>266</string>
	  <key>SMmemtype</key>
	  <string>24</string>
 </dict>
 </plist>

To set the memory to ddr3, the system and memory clocks, and the system to a unibody macbook. Some of these, in particular the product name may affect (screw up) OSX upgrades.

Thanks for the quick reply. But I don't see an entry for the processor speed and type. Am I missing anything?

If possible, could you please post a sample smbios.plist for me to play with. Thank you very much

Thanks for the quick reply. But I don't see an entry for the processor speed and type. Am I missing anything?

If possible, could you please post a sample smbios.plist for me to play with. Thank you very much

The processor speed had better be set correctly automatically. It is for me.

I'm not sure about setting the processor type, I haven't tried it. The above example I just gave is an smbios.plist that I wrote&tested.

hi! i just started trying this on my dell xps 1340, and i have been having good luck except for one thing, i cannot get the battery simble to show up at all, and as far as i can tell, it has no idea im on a laptop. i followed the instructions word for word, but i just cannot seem to get that working. i have reformatted this thing at least 5 times, and everything else is working. i can put my computer to sleep if i click on the apple and click sleep,but i cannot get it to work in any other way. im using the XxX 10.5.6 build now, but i have tried 10.5.8 also, but i couldnt get it to work either way. i am going to purchase a legit copy of leopard (and probably snow leopard) however, i dont wanna do that until i get everything working. can someone please help me? i installed AppleACPIPlatform.kext, then i put the DSDT.alm file in the /Extra folder, and then i installed Chameleon and then i installed VoodooPower.kext. is there anything else i have to do? thanks!!!

hi! i just started trying this on my dell xps 1340, and i have been having good luck except for one thing, i cannot get the battery simble to show up at all, and as far as i can tell, it has no idea im on a laptop. i followed the instructions word for word, but i just cannot seem to get that working. i have reformatted this thing at least 5 times, and everything else is working. i can put my computer to sleep if i click on the apple and click sleep,but i cannot get it to work in any other way. im using the XxX 10.5.6 build now, but i have tried 10.5.8 also, but i couldnt get it to work either way. i am going to purchase a legit copy of leopard (and probably snow leopard) however, i dont wanna do that until i get everything working. can someone please help me? i installed AppleACPIPlatform.kext, then i put the DSDT.alm file in the /Extra folder, and then i installed Chameleon and then i installed VoodooPower.kext. is there anything else i have to do? thanks!!!

Check whether lid close suspends the system. If not, you don't have the dsdt change installed&working. The dsdt filename must be exactly DSDT.aml, not what you wrote above, unless you configure a different name with your boot.plist.

If lid close works, boot with -v and check for error of the form "ACPI: EC <number> register GPE handler failed". If you see that error, you don't have my AppleACPIPlatform change installed right.

Otherwise, make sure voodoobattery is running and assuming it is, try the voodoobattery debug instructions over at superhai.com.