[GUIDE] Installing Snow Leopard/Leopard retail DVD on the GA-E7AUM-DS2H

dlach

761 posts in this topic

dlach

Yes, thanks for that, I'd loaded it a couple of hours ago and noticed it was 3a or something, which you are right, is indeed the latest.

The weird thing is, profiler shows the graphics chip as a 9400 not an 8400!? edit OK this might be as I haven't installed SMBIOSenabler yet.....

I've not had chance to check the thread to see if that is expected or not.

Also, when I connect hdmi with VGA, both screens get their signals dropped!

So I don't get a chance to setup the displays. Maybe my NV string is incorrect for the format of display outputs (not sure yet)

At least I now have QE enabled, but the other things are weird.

I have done all the steps up to installing the OS from my retail 10.5.6 and I checked my DVD and it passed and starts the install then at about 10% the screen piexelates in rainbow and then goes purple and does nothing.

Any ideas????? I did use disk utility to make 2 partitions before hand but I don't know why that would hurt anything. Also I'm using an IDE Optical DVD and a SATA HDD.

I have done all the steps up to installing the OS from my retail 10.5.6 and I checked my DVD and it passed and starts the install then at about 10% the screen piexelates in rainbow and then goes purple and does nothing.

Any ideas????? I did use disk utility to make 2 partitions before hand but I don't know why that would hurt anything. Also I'm using an IDE Optical DVD and a SATA HDD.

dlach

Yes, thanks for that, I'd loaded it a couple of hours ago and noticed it was 3a or something, which you are right, is indeed the latest.

The weird thing is, profiler shows the graphics chip as a 9400 not an 8400!? edit OK this might be as I haven't installed SMBIOSenabler yet.....

I've not had chance to check the thread to see if that is expected or not.

Also, when I connect hdmi with VGA, both screens get their signals dropped!

So I don't get a chance to setup the displays. Maybe my NV string is incorrect for the format of display outputs (not sure yet)

At least I now have QE enabled, but the other things are weird.

Do you have a graphics card plugged in? Otherwise the board should report a 9400 as that is what the board has.

As for hdmi and VGA simultaneously, I think there were other notes in this thread about that. If it is even supported by the board I'm pretty sure you need special NVcap settings for it. Check the old thread listed in the first post.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Those sure sound like the symptoms of trying to install with greater than 2GB of ram. Current situation with this board is 2GB of ram is the limit.

Those sure sound like the symptoms of trying to install with greater than 2GB of ram. Current situation with this board is 2GB of ram is the limit.

Is this a limitation of OS X or the motherboard. So does that mean once I start dual booting Win 7 I will have to add/remove everytime I want to run 4gb in WIN 7? Sure wish we can get 4gb working on this!!!

Also, I notice everytime I power on, it seems my OS makes a brand new connection profile each time, i.e. Ethernet then next Ethernet 2, etc Anyone else having that quirk happen.

Is this a limitation of OS X or the motherboard. So does that mean once I start dual booting Win 7 I will have to add/remove everytime I want to run 4gb in WIN 7? Sure wish we can get 4gb working on this!!!

Also, I notice everytime I power on, it seems my OS makes a brand new connection profile each time, i.e. Ethernet then next Ethernet 2, etc Anyone else having that quirk happen.

Windows should see >2GB of ram. I don't know about linux. The problem as I understnad it is that OSX uses the DSDT standard and the motherboard manufacturers(except Apple) don't implement it properly.

I haven't seen the ethernet profile problem.

Just for others who have interested in this mainboard, I have this mainboard and flash the BIOS to stock F3A and hack F3X firmware (with EFI string).

Installed 8GB (4 x 2GB module) with iPC OSx86 10.5.6 and update 10.5.8. I have also have Palit 9500GT 1GB PCIe installed and still get into problem of the leopard hanging when running memory test.

Windows 7 runs fine with 8GB RAM, sleep (S3) works - ethernet + sound all woke up without issue.

For me, it's more or less conclude that this board is not good >2GB for Leopard.

Anyone else have similar experience, i.e using >2GB RAM with external PCIe Video?

Windows should see >2GB of ram. I don't know about linux. The problem as I understnad it is that OSX uses the DSDT standard and the motherboard manufacturers(except Apple) don't implement it properly.

I haven't seen the ethernet profile problem.

For me, it's more or less conclude that this board is not good >2GB for Leopard.

Wintelmac,

I state the >2GB ram issue up front in the first post and in more than one reply so I kind of have to say "Duh!". It is the one real limitation and basically I don't find it a problem. If you are running memory intensive stuff maybe the system would thrash. I am holding out some hope that SSDT override using Chameleon could solve the memory issue and plan on looking into it when I get a chance. UPDATE: I just went over to the old thread and found you cross posted there. Really bad etiquette. Please don't waste our time.

INsERT,

Sorry but please keep this thread about the Gigabyte board. If you use google and search with site:forum.insanelymac.com you may find a more helpful thread. Good luck.

hi,

i have just one question, do you need to modify any settings in bios after F3fix or is this just fix and you can change whatever as normal.

thanks

The modified F3a BIOS just adds/updates some of the DSDT info in the BIOS. The bios still functions normally and you can make whatever changes work for you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Installing a retail 10.5.6 DVD on the GA-E7AUM-DS2H

2) Flash your BIOS with Koalala's updated bios. You must do this. Flashing the bios on this mobo is low risk due to its dual bios feature. Just unzip e7aumd2hf3x.zip and copy to a FAT formatted USB stick. Reboot and go into Qflash at the first screen.

Hi!

I've got Koalala's bios file, but i can't load it with the Qflash: it doesn't show this file on the flash card (other bios files like original f3a or saved from Qflash to the same disk are there and can be choosed).

I've noticed the size difference between original f3a and Koalala's. The orihinal is a 1 megabyte and Koalala's is 503 Kb.

Is there any trick to update?

Thanks in advance.

post-166822-1251048767_thumb.jpg

post-166822-1251048792_thumb.jpg

Hi!

I've got Koalala's bios file, but i can't load it with the Qflash: it doesn't show this file on the flash card (other bios files like original f3a or saved from Qflash to the same disk are there and can be choosed).

I've noticed the size difference between original f3a and Koalala's. The orihinal is a 1 megabyte and Koalala's is 503 Kb.

Is there any trick to update?

Thanks in advance.

Koalala's is 1MB if you uncompress it. If you tried to install it without uncompressing it would explain your problem. I used stuffit.

Koalala's is 1MB if you uncompress it. If you tried to install it without uncompressing it would explain your problem. I used stuffit.

Hi!

I've uncompressed it on Vista 32, it was 503Kb uncompressed (Winrar). When i did in under Mac os it became ok (1M).

Thank's for attention :)

Hi!

I've uncompressed it on Vista 32, it was 503Kb uncompressed (Winrar). When i did in under Mac os it became ok (1M).

Thank's for attention :welcomeani:

Excellent. Yet another of the many reasons to use OSX. Good luck with the install.

Installing a retail 10.5.6 DVD on the GA-E7AUM-DS2H

Last Updated: 08/09/09

Any help with the sleep issues and 2GB limit welcome.

Hi. I wonder if it's a real help, but it may be a begining of some new investigations on 2GB limit.

There is a hidden menu in Gigabyte's BIOS setup. The manual does not explain it's options meaning, but in the section of FAQ it sais:

Q:In the BIOS Setup program, why are some BIOS options missing?

A: Some advanced options are hidden in the BIOS Setup program. Press <Delete> to enter BIOS Setup during the POST. In the Main Menu, press <Ctrl>+<F1> to show the advanced options.

So i did it and i've seen this (see attached images).

Any ideas if it can bdice used and which way?

Or their meaning...?

post-166822-1251223852_thumb.jpg

post-166822-1251223884_thumb.jpg

post-166822-1251223923_thumb.jpg

Hi

Are the efforts on making this MB work with more than 2Gb all halted? Is there a thread where it is being actively discussed?

Would be interesting to read how it was resolved if it ever will be...

Cheers!

As far as I know they are stalled. I haven't had time to study the issue of modding the SSDT to have the correct value. Frankly I'm not too motivated because of the 2GB limit, it works fine with 2GB for my purposes. I am a bit more motivated to learn how to patch the DSDT and SSDT to fix other problems like the audio sleep. It will be interesting to see what SN adds to the mix, I pre-ordered so my disks will arrive Friday. I am not expecting much, especially in the 2GB limitation problem since it is allegedly the Gigabyte BIOS that is not publishing the SSDT properly. Who knows, we might actually get some action if someone wrote to Gigabyte or in their forum.

Hi. I wonder if it's a real help, but it may be a begining of some new investigations on 2GB limit.

There is a hidden menu in Gigabyte's BIOS setup. The manual does not explain it's options meaning, but in the section of FAQ it sais:

Q:In the BIOS Setup program, why are some BIOS options missing?

A: Some advanced options are hidden in the BIOS Setup program. Press <Delete> to enter BIOS Setup during the POST. In the Main Menu, press <Ctrl>+<F1> to show the advanced options.

So i did it and i've seen this (see attached images).

Any ideas if it can bdice used and which way?

Or their meaning...?

Thanks for the heads up. Some of those settings (BIOS cachable and Mem power) might be interesting. The spectrum modulation has to do with trying to reduct EMI from the clocks for the various devices. By modulating down it should reduce EMI somewhat but also reduce performance.

I doubt it has anything to do with any of our issues.

@dlach

do you know if somebody tried to install Mac OS 10.6 on this Board? When i´m starting the Installation my Screen is getting black and nothing else happens.

*Edit*

Sorry, i´ve didn´t notice your entrya bout 10.6!

I have this board with 4 GB of RAM. No problems. But I'm not using the integrated video. I have an old 8800-GT tossed in it. This is what I did:

Place a HD into an Intel chipset system.

Use standard install methods (boot-132) etc. I used a 10.5 retail DVD.

Install 10.5.7.

Reboot from CD back to HD.

Let the patch spin on boot... *WAIT 2-3 MINUTES after HD activity STOPS* All retail Macs reboot at this point, they do not spin forever. Let it finish hitting the HD, wait and reboot.

Make sure it starts. It should without a problem.

*DO NOT INSTALL ANYTHING ELSE*

Move HD to GA-E7AUM-DS2H based system.

Boot with the CD, start with HD 80 (or whatever it is)

Reinstall 10.5.7.

Reboot. CD boot, HD the usual.

Let it spin again...reboot.

Install the nVidia drivers from the nVidia site (GTX-285). Show contents, explore down into the package. Install the 3 component package files (video, driver, GL). This bypasses the version checker. These drivers have full hardware acceleration.

Install the nVidia injector from Netkas. (the same one as GTX cards)

Install Chameleon v2 RC2.

Add AppleDecrypt, AppleNForceATA, Disabler, IOPCIFamily and OpenHaltRestart.

Search for downloads here don't PM me.

mkexttool it.

Reboot.

Enjoy. I don't have audio working correctly yet.

Came up recognized as a MacPro2.1. Running a E5300 CPU, 4 GB 800 Mhz RAM.

I'll try flipping my video to built-in and see what it does.

*UPDATE*

4GB RAM with on-board video. I did get it to panic and lock up eventually. :D Does work fine with an add-on board though.

Note: I do not have a custom BIOS loaded into the motherboard. All Gigabyte.

I have this board with 4 GB of RAM. No problems. But I'm not using the integrated video. I have an old 8800-GT tossed in it. This is what I did:

Place a HD into an Intel chipset system.

Use standard install methods (boot-132) etc. I used a 10.5 retail DVD.

Install 10.5.7.

Reboot from CD back to HD.

Let the patch spin on boot... *WAIT 2-3 MINUTES after HD activity STOPS* All retail Macs reboot at this point, they do not spin forever. Let it finish hitting the HD, wait and reboot.

Make sure it starts. It should without a problem.

*DO NOT INSTALL ANYTHING ELSE*

Move HD to GA-E7AUM-DS2H based system.

Boot with the CD, start with HD 80 (or whatever it is)

Reinstall 10.5.7.

Let it spin again...reboot.

Install the nVidia drivers from the nVidia site (GTX-285). Show contents, explore down into the package. Install the 3 component package files (video, driver, GL). This bypasses the version checker. These drivers have full hardware acceleration.

Install the nVidia injector from Netkas. (the same one as GTX cards)

Install Chameleon v2 RC2.

Add AppleDecrypt, AppleNForceATA, Disabler, IOPCIFamily and OpenHaltRestart.

Search for downloads here don't PM me.

mkexttool it.

Reboot.

Enjoy. I don't have audio working correctly yet.

Came up recognized as a MacPro2.1. Running a E5300 CPU, 4 GB 800 Mhz RAM.

I'll try flipping my video to built-in and see what it does.

*UPDATE*

4GB RAM with on-board video. I did get it to panic and lock up eventually. :angry: Does work fine with an add-on board though.

Note: I do not have a custom BIOS loaded into the motherboard. All Gigabyte.

Yes I should make it clear in my main post that it is the on-board video that causes the memory limitation.