[GUIDE] Installing Snow Leopard/Leopard retail DVD on the GA-E7AUM-DS2H

dlach

761 posts in this topic

THanks for pointing me right direction. All it took was

<key>Default Partition</key>
	 <string>hd(0,2)</string>
	 <key>Timeout</key>
	 <string>10</string>

Now i just gotta get the darn IDE channel working. I have 2x750GB drives and i would hate to lose them. I connected them and they show up in BIOS fine but Snow Leopard totally ignores them. They dont show up in Disk Utility at all. Any ideas how or where i can start testing ?

Thanks a lot for help and this thread.

EDIT -> my search took me to this page http://code.google.com/p/darwin-ata/downloads/list but i have no idea what i'm supposed to use.

I am running SL using onboard IDE, I am using this JMicronATA.kext in /Extra/Extensions. Let us know if it worked for you.

JMicronATA.kext.zip

I am running SL using onboard IDE, I am using this JMicronATA.kext in /Extra/Extensions. Let us know if it worked for you.

so you just put that jMicronATA.kext in Extra/Extensions and that's it ? YOu dont have to tell chameleon somewhere in boot list to use that file ?

Also , do you have JMicronATA.kext ( or AppleVIAATA.kext ) in /System/Library/Extensions ?

Thanks for your help !!!

EDIT -> thanks. Just tried it and it worked. Just put it there and upon reboot it was instantly recognized. Thank you very much. Now i guess i can dump AppleVIAATA.kext from Extra/Extensions as well....( it didnt do any good but i was trying everything )

Thanks for the contribution, I'll put a link in post #1. Where did that kext come from? Can you use it to do the install? The ones I've see are legacy 32 bits, though I must admit I didn't really look, I just came across them while researching other issues.

looks like there is a "new" f4 bios out for this board. Do you think Jon55 or someone can patch it as the f3a was?

many thanks,

g\

What does f4 bring to the table ? Is >2gb RAM fixed natively ?

I have a quite generic question about hackintosh and back up of system partition ? Is Time Machine working on hackintoshes ?

I put too much time into this thing only to loose it when HD crashes., I'd like to be able somehow boot off chameleon , stick in retail DVD , and restore my hackintosh to the state it is now on new hard drive .... is it possible ?

Thanks for the contribution, I'll put a link in post #1. Where did that kext come from? Can you use it to do the install? The ones I've see are legacy 32 bits, though I must admit I didn't really look, I just came across them while researching other issues.

Got the Driver from [GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard Install on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185097

Credit goes to digital_dreamer. I reckon Gigabyte used the same JMicro386 chipset for most of their motherboard

What does f4 bring to the table ? Is >2gb RAM fixed natively ?

I have a quite generic question about hackintosh and back up of system partition ? Is Time Machine working on hackintoshes ?

I put too much time into this thing only to loose it when HD crashes., I'd like to be able somehow boot off chameleon , stick in retail DVD , and restore my hackintosh to the state it is now on new hard drive .... is it possible ?

I am currently backing up via time machine to a NAS. There are plenty of Time Machine info in the InsanelyMac forums, search and have a look.

If you are interested in backing up to a NAS this topic may be particularly interesting.

looks like there is a "new" f4 bios out for this board. Do you think Jon55 or someone can patch it as the f3a was?

many thanks,

g\

I flashed my board with f4 and am working on a dsdt that I pulled from it using a linux livecd. I don't know that it brings anything to the table, the notes with it a vague. As far as I can tell it doesn't address any of our issues.

I've been mostly trying to solve the wake problems. I've been in contact with eno who created nforcelan from nforcedeth, the linux driver. He is aware of our sleep issue and says he'll look into it. I'm not sure what to think because the nic doesn't work with nforcedeth on the latest ubuntu livecd and my experiments on SL tend to bear that out. If you follow the original Leopard instructions and delete or rename nvenet in /S/L/E/IOnetworkingFamily/Content/PlugIns and put nForceLan there instead and you wind out with no network interface (after flushing and rebuilding the kext caches). The same technique works fine in Leopard.

I've been mostly trying to solve the wake problems. I've been in contact with eno who created nforcelan from nforcedeth, the linux driver. He is aware of our sleep issue and says he'll look into it.

This seems promising to me. If that is solved we can say we would have 100% working Hackintoshes with our beloved GA-E7AUM-DS2H!

I really like to put my PCs to sleep instead of powering off (no need to close the myriad of windows open). This wakeup issue is still a minor but anoying problem that I hope you guys can solve. Good luck and keep us posted.

I am currently backing up via time machine to a NAS. There are plenty of Time Machine info in the InsanelyMac forums, search and have a look.

If you are interested in backing up to a NAS this topic may be particularly interesting.

well i did search the forum and theres just so much contradicting info on the forums here that its hard to figure out what exactly works what doesnt. I DO not want to back up to NAS. I need it to be bootable , fast and reliable.

if anybody has experience with using carbon copy cloner or time machine to make fully bootable backup of their system partition on their hackintosh i would be interested how to achieve it.

Thanks

EDIT -> i'm thinking in theory it should work something following but i dont have spare SATA drive to try.

Back up using time machine to USB drive as with real mac. When restoring, boot off bootiso.cd , put in snow leopard dvd. prepare new disk with disk utility and simply restore using time machine from usb drive to fully working snow leopard.

IF it worked like this that would be awesome :-) but i'm not sure if /Extra folder gets backed up properly.

I am getting a bit tired of bashing my head against these problems. I am seriously considering adding a network card that just works.

The one I am considering is HERE

If this works with sleep and my USB audio HERE which does resume from sleep, then I am just going to let it go.

I am getting a bit tired of bashing my head against these problems. I am seriously considering adding a network card that just works.

The one I am considering is HERE

If this works with sleep and my USB audio HERE which does resume from sleep, then I am just going to let it go.

Do you have any info on this eth card working? I would not mind as well putting and add-on eth card and USB audio as well, provided sleep would work.

Got the Driver from [GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard Install on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185097

Credit goes to digital_dreamer. I reckon Gigabyte used the same JMicro386 chipset for most of their motherboard

I dont know if there's something wrong with that kext or something specific to my setup but copying from primary hard drive ( SATA ) to IDE drive is VERY slow ( about 4mb/s ) and causes Finder to consume 100% of CPU. Is yours working fine ?

(its probably my setup , since my IDE drives are in RAID-0 ( 2x500gb drives ) and are 99.1% full. :-) ) But i thought i'd ask.

Copying from IDE to SATA is as fast as it should so i'm guessing it has something to do with RAID-0 being so full.

Do you have any info on this eth card working? I would not mind as well putting and add-on eth card and USB audio as well, provided sleep would work.

I've poked around the forums and it looks like the chipset working in SL. And someone on newegg replied in the customer reviews that it was great for hackintoshes so I'm going to bet the $30 on it and should be able to confirm by the end of the week. If it works vanilla it will be worth it I guess.

I've poked around the forums and it looks like the chipset working in SL. And someone on newegg replied in the customer reviews that it was great for hackintoshes so I'm going to bet the $30 on it and should be able to confirm by the end of the week. If it works vanilla it will be worth it I guess.

Great to hear! Please let us know.

Thanks for the link to the Jmicron kext as that works a treat in 64bit mode.

The dsdt posted (edit: and chameleon patch) also gets rid of the memory problem for me I have 5G of memory installed and its very stable :( and I now have working HDMI port too!

Just the sleep issues now :)

Guys,

this weekend I will have to move some parts of my PCs and I think it is time to put those 4Gb of RAM back.

I will play the newbie here. Honestly, after following the posts here about the >2Gb patch, I still do not understand completely how to do the changes needed, there are loads of links to files (256-512 graphics mem, 4Gb 8Gb RAM, PCEFi, Chameleon, Pacifist ...). I would be very grateful if some of you successful >2gb-guys would produce a small cooking-recipe style, showing the exact steps and files needed.

I will put 4Gb, am running Chameleon-2.0-RC3, SL 10.6.1.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Use Pacifist to extract the boot file from core/usr/standalone/i386. You don't need the other files in this folder as long as you already have an installed Chameleon bootloader. Open terminal, login using sudo -s, and cp the extracted boot file to the root of your sl install. works.

Right now I am using 8 gigs of ram and all seems well.

Continuing from my last post, I understood that adidasprince Chameleon patch package would not work for me, as it was compiled in 10.5.8, and contain its kexts (I actually learned it when I rushed installing it just as it was released without noticing this detail).

I suppose core/usr/standalone/i386 is a directory inside a certain package is that correct? What package? Sorry for the newbieness.

Regards

Great to hear! Please let us know.

This PCIe card works flawlessly out of the box, it resumes from sleep and and as a bonus fixes a problem I was having accessing FreeNAS using the built-in ethernet.

It is a Rosewill RC-401-EX $29 at newegg. Given the trouble the nForce ethernet chip has been, I think I won't be trying to fix it in the DSDT anymore.

When coupled with my USB audio, there are no remaining resume from sleep issues.

This PCIe card works flawlessly out of the box, it resumes from sleep and and as a bonus fixes a problem I was having accessing FreeNAS using the built-in ethernet.

It is a Rosewill RC-401-EX $29 at newegg. Given the trouble the nForce ethernet chip has been, I think I won't be trying to fix it in the DSDT anymore.

When coupled with my USB audio, there are no remaining resume from sleep issues.

Good to hear. I agree that time has come to go for a workaround on the sleep issues, and with these two cards reported working, that is a completely acceptable solution for me.

Will have to hunt for these cards as Newegg does not accept international orders :/

Good to hear. I agree that time has come to go for a workaround on the sleep issues, and with these two cards reported working, that is a completely acceptable solution for me.

Will have to hunt for these cards as Newegg does not accept international orders :/

Rosewill is newegg's brand, but any card with the Marvel Yukon PCI-E 88E8053 chipset should do the trick. I'd also bet almost any usb audio will resume properly. The one I point out doesn't offer any controls in the pref pane (have to look into that).

Guys,

this weekend I will have to move some parts of my PCs and I think it is time to put those 4Gb of RAM back.

I will play the newbie here. Honestly, after following the posts here about the >2Gb patch, I still do not understand completely how to do the changes needed, there are loads of links to files (256-512 graphics mem, 4Gb 8Gb RAM, PCEFi, Chameleon, Pacifist ...). I would be very grateful if some of you successful >2gb-guys would produce a small cooking-recipe style, showing the exact steps and files needed.

I will put 4Gb, am running Chameleon-2.0-RC3, SL 10.6.1.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Continuing from my last post, I understood that adidasprince Chameleon patch package would not work for me, as it was compiled in 10.5.8, and contain its kexts (I actually learned it when I rushed installing it just as it was released without noticing this detail).

I suppose core/usr/standalone/i386 is a directory inside a certain package is that correct? What package? Sorry for the newbieness.

Regards

A "very simple" recipe:

1. Install original Chameleon package after SL installation

2. Extract a file named "boot" from core/usr/standalone/i386 in my Chameleon package

3. Override /usr/standalone/i386/boot with the above one

4. Restart, and see the memory table is without overlapping

I dont know if there's something wrong with that kext or something specific to my setup but copying from primary hard drive ( SATA ) to IDE drive is VERY slow ( about 4mb/s ) and causes Finder to consume 100% of CPU. Is yours working fine ?

(its probably my setup , since my IDE drives are in RAID-0 ( 2x500gb drives ) and are 99.1% full. :-) ) But i thought i'd ask.

Copying from IDE to SATA is as fast as it should so i'm guessing it has something to do with RAID-0 being so full.

I am running single 250GB IDE Drive for OSX. No slowness experience for both read/write.

Good news, I think. Eno has posted a new nForceLan package HERE (nForceLAN_0.64.3.mpkg.zip). It claims to fix the resume from sleep issue and people who said they observed the same problem we have, have said it fixes it for them.

Caveat: I tried it and initially it did resume the LAN but my mouse was jittery and eventually the network went down again. But I have all kinds of stab in the dark tweaks to my DSDT that may causing it, if you try please post back and let us know how it went.

Good news, I think. Eno has posted a new nForceLan package HERE (nForceLAN_0.64.3.mpkg.zip). It claims to fix the resume from sleep issue and people who said they observed the same problem we have, have said it fixes it for them.

Caveat: I tried it and initially it did resume the LAN but my mouse was jittery and eventually the network went down again. But I have all kinds of stab in the dark tweaks to my DSDT that may causing it, if you try please post back and let us know how it went.

Hi dlach,

thanks for the hint. Unfortunately it didn't work for me at all.

Cheers

wanky