[GUIDE] Installing Leopard on Dell Studio XPS i7

Yardie

267 posts in this topic

Firstly, i'd like to say thank you to you all for writing your guides and having the modified plists and kexts!

I'm now running a full Vanilla 10.5.8 system very very happily :D

Only trouble I have is my graphics.

I have the stock 3650 that came with the system (i think it was a 256MB version?). It has 1x DVI and 1x HDMI port on it. I have 1x 19" monitor connected via DVI to the DVI port, and a 23" connected via HDMI.

When the system boots, i get both screens mirroring. But then the graphics kick in, the 19" on DVI goes black, and the 23" is the main monitor, but the system reports only having the 19" connected and thus only gives me 19" resolutions.

Does anyone know a fix for this? I tried a DVI-VGA adapter but that then makes both screens turn blue during the bootup, and it hangs.

Has anyone managed to get dual screens using the same gphx card?

I'm also considering just buying a new card - which ATi card would be the best one to get, giving me dual screens which have the extended image?

Aside from that, everything flies!

i7 & RAM - fully detected

DVA-140 D-Link Wireles - fully working thanks to driver from D-Link website

UA-4FX Sound card - fully working thanks to driver from Roland website

etc etc :D

Congrats on getting your system setup. I don't have any experince with the 3650, but you should go to Netkas' site if you haven't already. There is a lot of ATI support over there. As far as recommending a card, I was say the HD 4850. I have the stock 512mb in my computer and it works very well. Everythingis fully working and I have it pushing a 24" 1920x1200 monitor and my LCD tv with no problems. I haven't tried mirroring but extended desktop works fine. To get it working just took one kext from Netkas. Hope that helps.

Congrats on getting your system setup. I don't have any experince with the 3650, but you should go to Netkas' site if you haven't already. There is a lot of ATI support over there. As far as recommending a card, I was say the HD 4850. I have the stock 512mb in my computer and it works very well. Everythingis fully working and I have it pushing a 24" 1920x1200 monitor and my LCD tv with no problems. I haven't tried mirroring but extended desktop works fine. To get it working just took one kext from Netkas. Hope that helps.

Yeah i've loaded the Netkas installer from the 10.5.7 update that was put up around May-ish.

Interesting about the 4850...what outputs are on the card, and in what order, please? :D Maybe an investment might be coming up!

Are you using any DVI->VGA converters or are you just going natively?

My 4850 has two DVI outputs. I have my 1920 x 1200 monitor connected by DVI and my LCD tv connected using the DVI>HDMI adapter. Everything works perfectly using one kext from Netkas. The only wierd thing about the card is if you need to run only one output, you have to connect a DVI>VGA adapter on the outlet not being used. I am very impressed with this card's performance .

Can anyone explain better how to use ATAPorInjector.kext to work with RAID?

I installed iAtkos v5 following yardie's guide, then I installed vanilla 10.5.7 based on titelio's steps,

both in the same HD, BUT I have Vista installed on ohter HD with RAID set in the BIOS so I have to

change BIOS to SATA if I want to boot with Chameleon.

I'm trying to install ATAPortInjector.kext following perfektpill steps, I just copied it in /Extra/Extensions/ but

I get boo1: error.

Someone in the forum pointed this instructions to make it work:

sudo chown -R 0:0 /Extra/

sudo chmod -R 755 /Extra/

sudo kextcache -a i386 -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions

Deleted those kexts from /System/Library/Extensions.

But I get the same boot1: error.

I have also found someone saying that I must edit the Info.plist to make "OSBundleRequired = root"

Is this necesary? isn't perfektpill's kext ready to use?

please, those who have RAID working can point me to a tutorial explaining how to use ATAPortInjector.kext with Chameleon?

What Chameleon are you running? If its 2 RC1 you need to have the BIOS set to RAID = OFF, Disk = ATA, otherwise it won't work at all.

If you want to use AHCI, use Chameleon 2 RC2 as that has the ataportinjector built in when you install it to the vanilla drive via iATKOS.

I have tried with Chameleon 2 RC2, but still getting boot1: error.

I'm reinstalling 10.5.7 from scratch again to be sure, any advice would be appreciated.

This time I will install Chameleon 2 RC2 but I wont use custom smbios.plist neither ataportinjector.kext

thanks for your response Nick Xero

P.S. Just to clarify, I can boot chameleon but I have to change bios setting every time I switch from vista to leopard.

I actually got Snow Leopard to work on my Dell Studio XPS i7. I followed this guide

http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/how-to-inst...-on-a-pc-t3137/

though I installed

http://cid-8b65993ef55cf014.skydrive.live....IIXATA.kext.zip

also boot up Snow Leopard in -S (single user) first time to run the latest Kext Utility to get rid of mdworker kernel panics.

-v -x32

For now I can only get my Snow Leopard to boot up in 32 bit mode but it still runs the 64 bit programs and so on so no great loss anyways.

EDIT : At first I couldn't get neither Intel82566mm.kext or my wireless usb to work untill I installed this kext also and then somehow both my LAN and WLAN (WG111V3) would work

http://data.fuskbugg.se/skalman01/RTL8187Bt.kext.zip

this dell seems like a lot of problems and work...

or all the problems are not that severe?

would it be easier to go with "fail safe" config like

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 or MSI x58 Platinum or ASUS P6T Deluxe

Processor: Intel Core i7 920

Video: 9800 GTX

Hard Drive: 500GB 7200 rpm + 500 GB 7200 rpm

Memory: 6GB RAM DDR3

Power Supply 750/1000w

DVDRW Serial ATA

this dell seems like a lot of problems and work...

or all the problems are not that severe?

would it be easier to go with "fail safe" config like

Follow Vetters' guide on the previous page and you won't go far wrong at all.

I've now got the 4850 up and running - hell that looks sexy :(

Now, to stay on this, or to attempted Snow...

Follow Vetters' guide on the previous page and you won't go far wrong at all.

I've now got the 4850 up and running - hell that looks sexy ;)

Now, to stay on this, or to attempted Snow...

snow is cool, i am on SL on my macbook..

i am comparing between a g5 case (from ebay) + custom parts) & dell (because of its cool case) and dell outlet has good prices too.

I was thinking of replacing ati wtih nvidia -> gts 260 or 9800 GTX (seems like apple has better support for those)

what do you guys think?

cheers

I did Yardie's method combined with Titelio's and boot time now is 22 seconds flat but still I have problems with sleep, it'll go to sleep but it doesn't wake up. iATKOS for me and the HD3650 was a pain, I had to installed it using an Nvidia card load the Hd3650 drivers and replaced the card, tried at least 6 times because the system would freeze before I could to anything. Chameleon 2RC1 definitely broke RAID but I've been reading the forums and I'm going to try a method to use 2RC1 and RAID suppose to work by installing files inside the EFI partition.

Perfetkpill I think you should try again in another drive using Yardies and Vanilla with Titelios kext, boot time is amazing fast, put Yardies DSDT.aml the first time you reboot. Have you ever Geekbench? my numbers are around 8800 with no RAID and 3Gigs of RAM. I just read you previous thread and I see it was no go for you with Yardies and iATKOS, you may need to start with another card like I did .

Titelio: I think I ask you this question before but Does your computer really come back from sleep? I did exactly your steps and I can't make it happen. Another thing is when I installed dsmos.kext I removed from vanila Appledecrypt.kext I've read it should be only one decrypter in place. Is it a necessary step?

I've also removed AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext.

Have you ever tried to install DSDT or other relevant files inside the EFI partition?

Geez, I just saw this message!!! It's good to see you got times faster. I dread shutting this thing down. I'm going to try what you said. I wonder which part of Titelio's method makes boot faster. Also, still no luck on sleep!!! Anyone get it working with the HD 3650?

I'm using an old GT6600 128Mb just for testing purposes iAtkos detected it QE CI supported.

Well yes sleeps works but like possumcrazy wrote a few threads back the network card always loses the network connection, the funny part I was going nuts try fixing the sleep problem but none mentioned it before he did and for what I was reading is very common with the intel82566. I also found someone is working on the problem and we may have a new fixed driver soon. I'll post a link when I get home. The kext supposed to be here but I can't located it or needs to be compiled http://code.google.com/p/82566mm-osx-driver/updates/list read issue5.

Any luck on getting this Kext? Do you think this will fix the sleep issue even with the ATI 3650?

Geez, I just saw this message!!! It's good to see you got times faster. I dread shutting this thing down. I'm going to try what you said. I wonder which part of Titelio's method makes boot faster. Also, still no luck on sleep!!! Anyone get it working with the HD 3650?

Any luck on getting this Kext? Do you think this will fix the sleep issue even with the ATI 3650?

The author sent it to me and I posted the file on page 8 of this very thread, unfortunately the ATI HD3650 won't recover from sleep, they are a few threads about this problem here is one: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1202684

snow is cool, i am on SL on my macbook..

i am comparing between a g5 case (from ebay) + custom parts) & dell (because of its cool case) and dell outlet has good prices too.

I was thinking of replacing ati wtih nvidia -> gts 260 or 9800 GTX (seems like apple has better support for those)

what do you guys think?

cheers

I'd use the 4850, but i'm more of an ATi fan than a nvidia...

The author sent it to me and I posted the file on page 8 of this very thread, unfortunately the ATI HD3650 won't recover from sleep, they are a few threads about this problem here is one: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1202684

We should try to find a cheap nvidia card that will com back from sleep. I wasn't able to confirm anything searching over this past weekend.

I couldnt get my system (Vanilla 10.5.7) past the boot screen following Vetters guide. Is there any more steps that I am not following? I think it has to do with the 4850 card. I saw a lot of problems with this card in other forums. Should I just replace it with another card? What is a decent card that is easier to install than the 4850? Please help I am sick of trying to get this to work.

I couldnt get my system (Vanilla 10.5.7) past the boot screen following Vetters guide. Is there any more steps that I am not following? I think it has to do with the 4850 card. I saw a lot of problems with this card in other forums. Should I just replace it with another card? What is a decent card that is easier to install than the 4850? Please help I am sick of trying to get this to work.

What's the issue that you're getting? you need to be installing the Netkas patch that was on his site from about June'ish (the one called "this is the golden one" or something like that)

The 4850 works flawlessly for me. i just had to get the right driver installed correctly on the vanilla partition using Vetters' guide...

NO you don't want to replace your 4850, look at the requirement graphics specs for the upcoming Snow for OPEN CL http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html the board is supported natively, for now just find Netkas driver.

I would like to find a retail-install solution (e.g. using Boot-132) followed by setting up Chameleon and the /Extras folder. This guide involves using iAtkos, not retail, and mucking with the System directory. Not the method of choice.

topmanhugo - Thanks! I used your Boot132 CD to get through the install phase. But, I wasn't able to get chameleon to work. It gets stuck on a black screen after the grey apple. Were you able to get Chameleon going?

Also, topmanhugo, I still have to keep the machine on cpu cores = 1 and hyper threading disabled. Were you able to get beyond that making the changes to the dsts.ami file, as this guide indicates?

Finally, I'm toying with the idea of flashing the motherboard so that it has standard Gigabyte (GA-EX58-UD5?) BIOS - enabling more overclocking options. If I did that, would I be able to follow the guide of that motherboard? Dumb idea?

Thanks!

All right. So I switched my radeon 3650 out with the dell provided 4850. My display will go to sleep, the card works great (using the golden kext from netkas's site)! However, when I got to put my computer to sleep, the display goes off, but the computer stays on! Some USB ports get shut off. It stays like this and I can't do anything to bring the display back. Also, like I said, the computer keeps running.

Anyone else have luck with this config and sleep?

I have read through this thread and appreciate what you all have done.

Dell is offering the Studio XPS 435 6GB/640GB/4350 with a 22" 2209 monitor for $999.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/con...s=dhs&cs=19

This seems like a really good deal.

As a noob, would I be better served getting this setup or building my own? Will a custom build with more compatible components be less of a headache?

UPDATE: I just realized this might not be the XPS 435MT you all are talking about

Thanks,

Herb