[GUIDE] Installing Leopard on Dell Studio XPS i7

Yardie

267 posts in this topic

Hi ebox86. The iAtkos install is a failsafe installation. Once it is installed and working you install the retail CD into another partition. On my PC I have 3 partitions (formerly 4) Macintosh HD[retail], iAtkos, and 300GB Data partition.

I haven't updated to 10.5.7 since I haven't had the time nor the inclination.

If you do have a problem with booting into 10.5.7 what you can do is put the voodookernel in the root and the System.kext in the S/L/E, modify the com.apple.Boot.plist to use the voodoo kernel.

So in installing the retail leopard 10.5.6, can i use an iso, from iAtkos or do i have to burn a DVD?

Remove the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

thx! ... i'll give it a try on the weekend with a clean install ... hope this is the hot tip ;)

So in installing the retail leopard 10.5.6, can i use an iso, from iAtkos or do i have to burn a DVD?

you can use an image and mount in iAtkos to start the OSInstall.mpkg ... more infos here: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...071203051319476

Has anyone fixed the long boot after upgrading to 10.5.7? I thought I patched my DSDT again, but maybe I didn't my last time around. Also, the drivers for the dell provided Radeon 3650 don't allow my monitor to go to sleep or my computer to come back from sleep. Anyone have better drivers?

Thanks!

Has anyone fixed the long boot after upgrading to 10.5.7? I thought I patched my DSDT again, but maybe I didn't my last time around. Also, the drivers for the dell provided Radeon 3650 don't allow my monitor to go to sleep or my computer to come back from sleep. Anyone have better drivers?

Thanks!

I have also a Radeon 3650 and I have this problem and I thought it was because I used the XxX distro, but you say the problem is in the video card drivers, may I ask how did you arrive to this conclusion? I was ready to try Yardies method I'm guessing that's what you've used, I think now I would try another video card.

ok im back. THis time i have done all the steps outlined by first yardie, to install iAtkos, and then titeleo to get my retail copy of Leopard 10.5.6 installed onto my first partition from iAtkos and i added all the kexts that he said to put in s/l/e, i updated dsdt.aml etc etc, i followed his steps exatcly, but when i boot into Chameleon and select osx it just sits there at the grey screen with the shiney apple logo (im assuming kernel panic) so then i put all the bios settings back except ATA and then try'd verbose mode -v and it did not help, bassicaly after about 5 minutes of loading it stops at a certain point after mDNSResponder loads, then the i see a quick flash of purple(like the desktop showed for a split second) and then the monitor goes into power save mode and nothing. So then i try'd -v -f, same result, and -x same result. so i don't know if there is something i did wrong, or maybe something i should be watching for..

also, if it helps, i deleted AppleCPUPowerManagement.kext as instructed by titeleo. Also, it would be nice if someone could post or link to the 'normal' natit package that titelo refers to, just so im not getting confused with another pacage on netkas's website.

Before you ask, yes i have repaired permissions, and yes i set the bios settings back before resuming

So are any of you who did titeleo's way having sucess? is there something i should/can do, i still have my iAtkos partition and i can still add/change files

Thanks

hey guys another bootloader came out, i saw it on netkas's sit, there is already a thread for it here on insanelymac http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...168500&st=0 its called boot think and the some ppl on the thread are saying it has traces to apple boot-132.

Any comment on if it will work with out 435mt's?

I decided to do another fresh install of everything again and start over since i was having so many errors, so im going to start from scratch tomorrow and see where i get.

Any info on that new boot loader would be great

ok im back. THis time i have done all the steps outlined by first yardie, to install iAtkos, and then titeleo to get my retail copy of Leopard 10.5.6 installed onto my first partition from iAtkos and i added all the kexts that he said to put in s/l/e, i updated dsdt.aml etc etc, i followed his steps exatcly, but when i boot into Chameleon and select osx it just sits there at the grey screen with the shiney apple logo (im assuming kernel panic) so then i put all the bios settings back except ATA and then try'd verbose mode -v and it did not help, bassicaly after about 5 minutes of loading it stops at a certain point after mDNSResponder loads, then the i see a quick flash of purple(like the desktop showed for a split second) and then the monitor goes into power save mode and nothing. So then i try'd -v -f, same result, and -x same result. so i don't know if there is something i did wrong, or maybe something i should be watching for..

also, if it helps, i deleted AppleCPUPowerManagement.kext as instructed by titeleo. Also, it would be nice if someone could post or link to the 'normal' natit package that titelo refers to, just so im not getting confused with another pacage on netkas's website.

Before you ask, yes i have repaired permissions, and yes i set the bios settings back before resuming

So are any of you who did titeleo's way having sucess? is there something i should/can do, i still have my iAtkos partition and i can still add/change files

Thanks

What is your graphics card?

I have also a Radeon 3650 and I have this problem and I thought it was because I used the XxX distro, but you say the problem is in the video card drivers, may I ask how did you arrive to this conclusion? I was ready to try Yardies method I'm guessing that's what you've used, I think now I would try another video card.

I just have a feeling it's the video card holding it up... You can try other things if you have an idea. Let me know. I did Yardie's method. Now I'm on 10.5.7--I use the drivers I have provided, as yardie's didn't work for me. I've tried other drivers too, none helped out. Also, my boot time is still not the fasted.

One last thing. My computer freezes every two days. I can click on things and get a dock icon to start bouncing like it is going to load the app--but then it just keeps bouncing and I get the pinwheel of death. Nothing opens and I have to shut down from the power button. Sucks. I just repatched my DSDT, boot times are still slower than they should be. I doubt this will fix the pinwheel error also.

1 install iAtkos

( went fine )

2. Install Leopard 10.5.6 and do not add any kext or pcefi or change any files.

( went fine - installation from an image)

3. Install the 10.5.7 upgrade.

( went fine, but which updater is better 2 use? combo-updater or the one from 10.5.6 ???)

4 Install these kexts:

dsmos.kext

intel82566MM.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

IOAHCIFamily.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

AppleAHCIPort.kext

Osx86tools used for this.

Download here: http://######.com/osx86tools/

( went fine I guess ... I use Osx86tools and tell it to install the stuff on the Studio HD which has the virgin os 10.5.7 on it, right?

After installing them all, I did a 'rights repair' on the Studio HD with 10.5.7 from 'disk utility' started in IAtkos)

5. Install Chameleon v2.

Download here: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,233.0.html

( went fine ... did the install on the Studio HD partition with 10.5.7)

6. Patch dsdt with DSDTPatcherGUI_1.0 2

Run and choose Darwin/Mac OS X and Apply DSDT Patch to: (Your installation disk or partition) and finally Run DSDT Patcher

Click to view attachment

Download here: http://######.com/index.php?option=...0&Itemid=48

( went fine , as the installer shows ... did the install also on the Studio HD partition with 10.5.7)

7 Replacing com.apple.Boot.plist. from /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

( just copied that in the folder on the 10.5.7 HD and replaced the old one after puutting in my password)

8 Put smbios.plist in /Extra.

Click to view attachment

( just created a folder 'Extra' on the 10.5.7 HD and put the file in)

( here I once again did a rights repair on on the 10.5.7 HD with "disk utility" )

9 Install the last Natit.pkg for Ati 4850 graphics card.

Download here: http://netkas.org/?p=101

( in the first of my tries ... I installed the normal 'Natit pkg', on the 2nd and 3rd try I didn't do any natit install in the hope I can do that later in the proper booted 10.5.7 - or use the Natit for Quail.pkg ??? )

10 Reboot and run bios setup. Enable all cores, Hyperthreading and choose mode ATA in Advanced Chipset Features.

changed the stuff back in bios and ... didn't work out, got a kernel panic in all tries

the best I got was 10.5.7 boot in safe mode (-x), but this only worked also with just 1 core aktivated and HT disabled.

I guess I'm missing something really important?

thankful for any help, hints or tips

thanks for your tips so far ... I did a clean install on the weekend and after about 6 hrs of try and error I got a proper 10.5.7 running !!!!

here's what did it for me:

i followed titelio's step-by-step guide, used his files and deleted the AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext... (thx again :P ) ... had to put a dvi->vga-thing on the 2nd dvi-port, but that's no prob and so graphics incl. QE is working excellent now.

but still my problem was:

1. 10.5.7 booting was always (!!!) extremely long

2. it was only bootable with 1 core and HT disabled .. even with the deleted kext

so I guessed there has to be a problem with de DSDT patch ... i patched, repatched and even did the 'oldschool' way of deleting the cpu-aliases with compiling myself ... but probably not the right way :angel: still problem 1. + 2.

... after a while I decided just to try the DSDT.aml on my 10.5.7 which Yardie included in his package and guess what: machine booted in about 20 secs from off to desktop ... all cores activated incl. HT, so 8 threats running happily ;)

I'm happy 2 !

two minor things I try to solve:

- when I use 'shut-down' the machine reboots instead of shutting down ... what could help there?

- sound is just working on 1 port in the back - which is shown in soundpanel as 'unknown', but Audio-IN doesn't work. I used an M-Audio Transit USB with their 10.5.7 driver, but also the audio-in function didn't work ... any suggestions?

I just have a feeling it's the video card holding it up... You can try other things if you have an idea. Let me know. I did Yardie's method. Now I'm on 10.5.7--I use the drivers I have provided, as yardie's didn't work for me. I've tried other drivers too, none helped out. Also, my boot time is still not the fasted.

One last thing. My computer freezes every two days. I can click on things and get a dock icon to start bouncing like it is going to load the app--but then it just keeps bouncing and I get the pinwheel of death. Nothing opens and I have to shut down from the power button. Sucks. I just repatched my DSDT, boot times are still slower than they should be. I doubt this will fix the pinwheel error also.

I tried another video card, Nvidia, and I have the same slow boot I used the XxX distro because it was easier, my next step when I have time is using Yardie's guide. My computer runs OK the only issue is the slow boot and sleep, no lockups or freezes.

Did you install any other card or add or replaced RAM? Does Windows run OK?

Thanks everyone for the great thread! I'm happy to report that I was able to follow titelio's guide and get a working 10.5.7 system (with one caveat--see below) running on my Dell Studio XPS 435MT with Radeon 4850 card. I have Windows 7 running on the stock 640GB hard drive, and I installed OS X to a second 320GB hard drive. Right now I'm using the F12 boot menu to select between Windows 7 and Mac OS, but that is easy to fix.

It took me two major attempts to get it right.

1) FAILED: I set iAtkos as partition #1, and Vanilla as partition #2. This may be workable, but it differs from Titelio's setup, particularly in regards to Chameleon installation.

2) SUCCESS: Setup Vanilla as partition #1, iAtkos as partition #2.

A couple of notes:

* iAtkos 5i was completely unstable for me, with random freezes (sometimes even during install), until I installed the DSDT patch as described by teddiesmooth and Yardie

* The display comes up blank for me unless I have the monitor plugged into DVI port #1, and the dvi2vga adapter plugged into port #2

NOW, here's the problem I'm having:

The keyboard and mouse input seems to freeze for 1/2 second every 3-4 seconds. For example, if I move the mouse in circles around the desktop, it will stutter and jerk at a fairly constant 3 second rate. The keyboard does the same thing... The system as a whole does not seem to have any performance issues; the screensavers and graphics run smoothly. Any ideas what could be going on?

I tried another video card, Nvidia, and I have the same slow boot I used the XxX distro because it was easier, my next step when I have time is using Yardie's guide. My computer runs OK the only issue is the slow boot and sleep, no lockups or freezes.

Did you install any other card or add or replaced RAM? Does Windows run OK?

I've only used the Dell stock RAM (6 Gigs Tri-Channel) and Video Card (3650 256MB). I've actually never installed a copy of windows on the machine other than in a virtual machine! Haha. One other thing I've noticed is, the performance I get in Logic using all cores isn't much better than my old Q6600 system. It seems like it should be running better...

I've only used the Dell stock RAM (6 Gigs Tri-Channel) and Video Card (3650 256MB). I've actually never installed a copy of windows on the machine other than in a virtual machine! Haha. One other thing I've noticed is, the performance I get in Logic using all cores isn't much better than my old Q6600 system. It seems like it should be running better...

I did Yardie's method combined with Titelio's and boot time now is 22 seconds flat but still I have problems with sleep, it'll go to sleep but it doesn't wake up. iATKOS for me and the HD3650 was a pain, I had to installed it using an Nvidia card load the Hd3650 drivers and replaced the card, tried at least 6 times because the system would freeze before I could to anything. Chameleon 2RC1 definitely broke RAID but I've been reading the forums and I'm going to try a method to use 2RC1 and RAID suppose to work by installing files inside the EFI partition.

Perfetkpill I think you should try again in another drive using Yardies and Vanilla with Titelios kext, boot time is amazing fast, put Yardies DSDT.aml the first time you reboot. Have you ever Geekbench? my numbers are around 8800 with no RAID and 3Gigs of RAM. I just read you previous thread and I see it was no go for you with Yardies and iATKOS, you may need to start with another card like I did .

Titelio: I think I ask you this question before but Does your computer really come back from sleep? I did exactly your steps and I can't make it happen. Another thing is when I installed dsmos.kext I removed from vanila Appledecrypt.kext I've read it should be only one decrypter in place. Is it a necessary step?

I've also removed AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext.

Have you ever tried to install DSDT or other relevant files inside the EFI partition?

I did Yardie's method combined with Titelio's and boot time now is 22 seconds flat but still I have problems with sleep, it'll go to sleep but it doesn't wake up. iATKOS for me and the HD3650 was a pain, I had to installed it using an Nvidia card load the Hd3650 drivers and replaced the card, tried at least 6 times because the system would freeze before I could to anything. Chameleon 2RC1 definitely broke RAID but I've been reading the forums and I'm going to try a method to use 2RC1 and RAID suppose to work by installing files inside the EFI partition.

Perfetkpill I think you should try again in another drive using Yardies and Vanilla with Titelios kext, boot time is amazing fast, put Yardies DSDT.aml the first time you reboot. Have you ever Geekbench? my numbers are around 8800 with no RAID and 3Gigs of RAM. I just read you previous thread and I see it was no go for you with Yardies and iATKOS, you may need to start with another card like I did .

Titelio: I think I ask you this question before but Does your computer really come back from sleep? I did exactly your steps and I can't make it happen. Another thing is when I installed dsmos.kext I removed from vanila Appledecrypt.kext I've read it should be only one decrypter in place. Is it a necessary step?

I've also removed AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext.

Have you ever tried to install DSDT or other relevant files inside the EFI partition?

I used Titelio's method and got most things to work. Mine comes out of sleep okay, but it always loses the network connection. I have to open a terminal and do a 'sudo ifconfig en0 down; sudo ifconfig en0 up' to restore network access. Also, as I mentioned in a previous post, I had an annoying mouse/keyboard stutter problem that happened every 2-3 seconds. I traced this to netkas's natit.kext.... apparently some people have similar problems with natit but it is very monitor dependent. To fix it, I had to use a dvi2vga adapter and actually connect it to the VGA port on my flatscreen; I couldn't find any other connection method that worked. Also, I've had an occasional system freeze where Finder stops responding, but the mouse still works.

I'm not sure why people are having mixed success with these guides. One possibility is that there are different flavors of these 435MT machines floating around, depending on where you buy them. Mine is from Best Buy and it has a Radeon 4850, 4GB of RAM, and a 640GB HD. It could be possible that Dell is also changing other components.

Hello,

Thank You for the guide,

My dell studio xps 435T works almost perfect, the only problem is shutdown, it does not shutdown , I see CPU halted, but the power stays on and the light on the power button is orange. I tried openhalt restart but no change.

Thanks.

What installer did you use?

I'm trying to install osx86 on my Dell Studio XPS 435T, But with no success...

How did you do it? Can you please be specific?

My specs are:

Intel Core i7 920.

6 GB DRR3

HD RADEON 4850.

Please someone tell me the best disc to use.

I will be eternally grateful.

My specs are:

Intel Core i7 920.

6 GB DRR3

HD RADEON 4850.

Search and ye find, start with yardie on page 1

My specs are:

Intel Core i7 920.

6 GB DRR3

HD RADEON 4850.

I tried a few different installers until I found one that works. Kalyway and iDeneb didn't work. iAtkos v5 worked. I'm not sure iAtkos v7 will work. You'll need to disable all CPU extensions from the BIOS; HT,CPU=1, etc.

Basically, iAtkos uses modbin 10.5.1 kernel and this seems to work. iDeneb uses the 10.5.5 voodoo kernel, which didn't work and I couldn't get it to boot even when I set the kernel flags.

Also read the first post to get started. I'll be upgrading the tutorial soon to include chameleon RC1, Extras, and sound. In the meantime, install the iAtkos using the guide and then follow titelio's guide to install 10.5.7 (my tutorial breaks with the 10.5.7 update)

I tried a few different installers until I found one that works. Kalyway and iDeneb didn't work. iAtkos v5 worked. I'm not sure iAtkos v7 will work. You'll need to disable all CPU extensions from the BIOS; HT,CPU=1, etc.

Basically, iAtkos uses modbin 10.5.1 kernel and this seems to work. iDeneb uses the 10.5.5 voodoo kernel, which didn't work and I couldn't get it to boot even when I set the kernel flags.

Also read the first post to get started. I'll be upgrading the tutorial soon to include chameleon RC1, Extras, and sound. In the meantime, install the iAtkos using the guide and then follow titelio's guide to install 10.5.7 (my tutorial breaks with the 10.5.7 update)

It would be fantastic if you update the tutorial, I'm testing iATKOS v7 right now and so far so good is the first time I see the Welcome animation with sound, the distro includes VoodooHDA kext.

UPDATE-- Everything works, they did a good job on this release, I wonder if it'd do OK Apple updates in the future, time will tell.

Perfektpill: I think you are right about the HD3650 driver, the Nvidia I have now sleeps with this installation but no dice with the ATI. I'm buying another card. All I need to work out is by creating a Raid with Chameleon 2, there are good instructions on the disk. Something I've never notice before is VoodooHDA digital audio is now in Preferences separate from Sound, actually I never tested digital audio.

It would be fantastic if you update the tutorial, I'm testing iATKOS v7 right now and so far so good is the first time I see the Welcome animation with sound, the distro includes VoodooHDA kext.

UPDATE-- Everything works, they did a good job on this release, I wonder if it'd do OK Apple updates in the future, time will tell.

Perfektpill: I think you are right about the HD3650 driver, the Nvidia I have now sleeps with this installation but no dice with the ATI. I'm buying another card. All I need to work out is by creating a Raid with Chameleon 2, there are good instructions on the disk. Something I've never notice before is VoodooHDA digital audio is now in Preferences separate from Sound, actually I never tested digital audio.

I'm glad that you got sleep to work! I may pick up an Nvidia card. Which one are you using? Also, please post if you get Chameleon 2 working with RAID mode on in our BIOS.

To everyone else: Can someone make a tinyurl for the ATAPortInjector file? I guess the one I did is not working anymore, and there are still people who need that file.

Thank you!

I'm glad that you got sleep to work! I may pick up an Nvidia card. Which one are you using? Also, please post if you get Chameleon 2 working with RAID mode on in our BIOS.

To everyone else: Can someone make a tinyurl for the ATAPortInjector file? I guess the one I did is not working anymore, and there are still people who need that file.

Thank you!

I'm using an old GT6600 128Mb just for testing purposes iAtkos detected it QE CI supported.

Well yes sleeps works but like possumcrazy wrote a few threads back the network card always loses the network connection, the funny part I was going nuts try fixing the sleep problem but none mentioned it before he did and for what I was reading is very common with the intel82566. I also found someone is working on the problem and we may have a new fixed driver soon. I'll post a link when I get home. The kext supposed to be here but I can't located it or needs to be compiled http://code.google.com/p/82566mm-osx-driver/updates/list read issue5.

Hi all, I have Dell Studio XPS desktop, installl with iATKOS v7, followed Yardie instruction, everything working, but......my network NIC Intel 82567LF -2 gigabit not connected. I try " sudo ifconfig en0 " it says en0 does not exists. I try Intel 82566MM kext did not help.

If you have Dell Studio XPS with same network NIC, can you share that kext I appreciated.

Thanks

iATKOS v7 does not boot for me - I have tried bios settings HT = Disabled, CPU = 1, both RAID or ata settings? iAKTOS v5 boots but I need to reformat my drive - Is there a way to leave current configuration on drive but format unused partition? - My first time with OSX - I play with LINUX right now and XP before that :P

i7

6 Gig Ram

ATI 4670

latest bios