[GUIDE] Installing Leopard on Dell Studio XPS i7

Yardie

267 posts in this topic

igsimon: For iATKOS v7, Bios setting Virtualization=Disabled, Hyperthreading=Disabled, CPU=1. Controller = ATA. Boot DVD with f8 and type " -v cpus=1 busratio=20 ", for i7 920 you need that busratio=20. You should be able to install, after sucess install, it will reboot the system, let it go, at verbose you can type " -v " to see list of detail boot, you can enjoy your Hackint0sh. Remember don't forget to copy that DSDT.aml from Yardie, so Hyperthreading, Virtualization can be enabled, and cpu = ALL.

Today I noticed that Intel NIC gigabit that I used Intel82566MM.kext, not connected. I think may be Voodoo kernel 9.7 may caused that problem. I will try Voodoo kernel 9.5.

can we get a guide for iatkos 7 seems to be quite harder to install than v5

igsimon: For iATKOS v7, Bios setting Virtualization=Disabled, Hyperthreading=Disabled, CPU=1. Controller = ATA. Boot DVD with f8 and type " -v cpus=1 busratio=20 ", for i7 920 you need that busratio=20. You should be able to install, after sucess install, it will reboot the system, let it go, at verbose you can type " -v " to see list of detail boot, you can enjoy your Hackint0sh. Remember don't forget to copy that DSDT.aml from Yardie, so Hyperthreading, Virtualization can be enabled, and cpu = ALL.

Today I noticed that Intel NIC gigabit that I used Intel82566MM.kext, not connected. I think may be Voodoo kernel 9.7 may caused that problem. I will try Voodoo kernel 9.5.

Can you tell me which options you choose at the iATKOS 7 install screen? I was in the iATKOS irc chat and the guys there said that you can use vanilla for core i7

can we get a guide for iatkos 7 seems to be quite harder to install than v5

Can you tell me which options you choose at the iATKOS 7 install screen? I was in the iATKOS irc chat and the guys there said that you can use vanilla for core i7

harder??? is basically the same,

Main system

Chameleon V2

Appledecrypt

Vanilla kernel 9.7

disabler

Graphic driver for Nvidia with EFI String

AHCI

VoodooHDA

Bios= disable HyperThread , CPU=1

boot busratio=20 copy DSDT from Yardie to root and install Network driver from titelio post, I'm still waiting for a 82566mm driver patch to fix losing ethernet after sleep.

harder??? is basically the same,

Main system

Chameleon V2

Appledecrypt

Vanilla kernel 9.7

disabler

AHCI

VoodooHDA

boot busratio=20 copy DSDT from Yardie to root and install Network driver from titelio post, I'm still waiting for a 82566mm driver patch to fix losing ethernet after sleep.

Do u mean Voodoo kernel?? i dont see vanilla on the install options of iatkos??

Nvidia EFI string?? my card is a Ati HD 4850

I was able to boot V7 and load system onto a partition - when I reboot - get "still waiting for root device" and it keeps repeating - I am not sure how to get passed this point to follow instruction to apply DSDT?

Also - I can no longer boot into windows - any idea how to fix this?

I was able to use linux partitioner and change to boot partition and repair using windows disk - ho wdo I make it dual boot with chameleon 2?

Ira

Main system

Chameleon V2

Appledecrypt

Vanilla kernel 9.7

disabler

AHCI

VoodooHDA

boot busratio=20 copy DSDT from Yardie to root and install Network driver from titelio post

topmanhugo: Yes for ATI don't add anything do a post installation of your graphics card. For Vanilla don't select any kernel, it's in the readme file, I think, I don't remember now.

Igsimon: That's the beauty of Chameleon it would take care of your boot, you need to copy Yardies DSDT in your root.

I'll do another installation tomorrow I read the ACHI driver it's not needed the apple driver should work fine.

I'll post exactly what I did also someone gave me the patched ethernet driver hopefully it'd work.

Ok after a lot of installation, i am now understanding how it iATKOS v7 (10.5.7) works. In Bios setting CPU disable everyting and set to 1. I don't use Raid. I set ATA as default.

Boot with option -v cpus=1 busratio=20

First, I install with this customize

iAtkos v7 Main System

Chameleon V2

/Extra

DSDT

dsmos

9.7 voodoo kernel

ACPI

Disabler Kext

OHR

Remove TYMCE

Natit (I have PNY 9600GT 512mb DVI/DVI)

AHCI

Intel SATA/IDE

Voodoo HDA (default)

Intel Gigabit

System restart, run fine, bootup normal, follow instruction. Then copy DSDT.aml from Yardie. Reboot.

Go to Bios, enable everything and cpu=all. Reboot

Everything boot fine I don't have to do anything, click " about this Mac " i have 4 cores, check with Activity Monitor I see 8 hypertheading. 9600GT graphics card with QE support. I use OSX86 tools to enable QuartzGL.

Now weird thing is my Intel NIC not connect. I reinstall with 82566MM.kext that Yardie included, did not help.

Today I reinstall iATKOS v7, in customize I select same as above, but this time I don't select ACPI, and AHCI. I read somewhere, you don't need AHCI for Apple OS.

System Reboot first time, take longer on the mDNSResponder, but it takes me to registration and my NIC connect too. I copied that DSDT.aml from Yardie, reboot. Go back to Bios enable my setting. This time reboot faster and my NIC still connect. I do software update, install some app require reboot, and I still have NIC connection. I am happy now.

I don't like that Intel 82567LF -2 from Dell. I will find new NIC card with PCIE for MAC/Window OOB. If anyone can recommend new NIC I appreciated.

Ok after a lot of installation, i am now understanding how it iATKOS v7 (10.5.7) works. In Bios setting CPU disable everyting and set to 1. I don't use Raid. I set ATA as default.

Boot with option -v cpus=1 busratio=20

First, I install with this customize

iAtkos v7 Main System

Chameleon V2

/Extra

DSDT

dsmos

9.7 voodoo kernel

ACPI

Disabler Kext

OHR

Remove TYMCE

Natit (I have PNY 9600GT 512mb DVI/DVI)

AHCI

Intel SATA/IDE

Voodoo HDA (default)

Intel Gigabit

System restart, run fine, bootup normal, follow instruction. Then copy DSDT.aml from Yardie. Reboot.

Go to Bios, enable everything and cpu=all. Reboot

Everything boot fine I don't have to do anything, click " about this Mac " i have 4 cores, check with Activity Monitor I see 8 hypertheading. 9600GT graphics card with QE support. I use OSX86 tools to enable QuartzGL.

Now weird thing is my Intel NIC not connect. I reinstall with 82566MM.kext that Yardie included, did not help.

Today I reinstall iATKOS v7, in customize I select same as above, but this time I don't select ACPI, and AHCI. I read somewhere, you don't need AHCI for Apple OS.

System Reboot first time, take longer on the mDNSResponder, but it takes me to registration and my NIC connect too. I copied that DSDT.aml from Yardie, reboot. Go back to Bios enable my setting. This time reboot faster and my NIC still connect. I do software update, install some app require reboot, and I still have NIC connection. I am happy now.

I don't like that Intel 82567LF -2 from Dell. I will find new NIC card with PCIE for MAC/Window OOB. If anyone can recommend new NIC I appreciated.

I have tried all of your settings but my system does not finish a reboot - I have the ATI 4670 video card and durring reboot the system pauses long at some spots and the monitor goes to sleep and never recovers. I am not sure what to do as I do not have another graphics card. Any ideas? I tried using a LINUX live CD but it can read OSX partition in read only mode so I cannot copy DSDT file. Is there a way with windows 7?

I have tried all of your settings but my system does not finish a reboot - I have the ATI 4670 video card and durring reboot the system pauses long at some spots and the monitor goes to sleep and never recovers. I am not sure what to do as I do not have another graphics card. Any ideas? I tried using a LINUX live CD but it can read OSX partition in read only mode so I cannot copy DSDT file. Is there a way with windows 7?

macdrive, also try booting in safe mode -x

What's wrong with your built in Ethernet ?

Here is the patched ethernet driver, no more losing connection after sleep:

Download Kext Helper

drag kext into window and type your password click advanced and press Easy Install, run kext permission script and tag cache script, reboot. Enjoy. intel82566mm.zip

mutis: thanks for show me how to fix that loosing connection after sleep. It works...

igsimon: you should try install without graphic driver, that easy to trouble shoot your problem.

mutis: thanks for show me how to fix that loosing connection after sleep. It works...

igsimon: you should try install without graphic driver, that easy to trouble shoot your problem.

Thanks - I got DSDT loaded from WIndows - How do I delete or fix ATI driver? Is there a driver for ATI 4670? where is it stored? I am good at LINUX but totally new to OSX - That is why I am trying to get this up and running is to learn it

Ira

Thanks - I got DSDT loaded from WIndows - How do I delete or fix ATI driver? Is there a driver for ATI 4670? where is it stored? I am good at LINUX but totally new to OSX - That is why I am trying to get this up and running is to learn it

Ira

Unfortunately there isn't any driver for your card, yet. Check Netkas.org

Perfektpill... Thanks for providing the ATAPortInjector kext! I finally got my retail install fully working on 10.5.7.

I ended up using another Hackintosh I made with an Intel e5200 using the Grub.iso and retail Leopard disc, to get my hard drive updated all the way to 10.5.7 (I couldn't get the grub.iso to work with the i7 for some reason so that's why I went with the e5200). I then installed the latest version of Chameleon with the ATAPortInjector kext from Perfektpill and the kexts provided by Yardie for the x58 motherboard. I also used the patched dsdt file from Yardie. Last I installed the ati_init.kext from Netkas to get my 4850 card working. I took my drive and put it in my xps and it booted up. So far, everything seems to be working great. I got a Geekbench score of around 8250, so I'm pretty pleased.

As mentioned before, I was able to setup a Studio XPS 435mt i7 running off of the Vanilla kernel using a Leopard retail DVD for installation. I currently have everything running that I know of from the Ethernet to my 4850 (I haven't tested sound because I am using a usb sound card). I have successfully got it working in two ways; through a previously built Hackintosh and also using my Macbook. I've had some experience with previous Hackintosh installs but am kind of a noob with the i7 and writing guides so I'm sorry if I leave anything out or if this guide sucks. I have included all of the files that I used.

What's needed:

Retail Install DVD for Leopard

PCWiz's Universal Installer

Chameleon V2.0

Yardie's DSDT.aml patch

Yardie's XPS Studio Kexts

Aty_init.kext (Netkas kext for HD 4850)

Intel82566mm.kext (modified Ethernet kext provided by mutis)

Atainjector.kext (from perfektpill; for booting chameleon)

The first step is to have your hard drive connected to either a Mac or Hackintosh so that you can install Leopard and get it updated to 10.5.7. The reason this needs to be done is so that the i7 can natively work in Leopard in the standard vanilla kernel.

Hackintosh method

Step 1a:

I used a Hackintosh with an Intel e5200 processor and booted up using the Grub.iso bootloader (Google it) and then swapped it out with the Leopard retail install DVD. Install leopard to your drive. You'll need to use the Grub.iso bootloader to get into your newly installed Leopard hard drive once you reboot. Once in Leopard, use Universal Installer to select the hard drive that you just installed Leopard to and select apply kext package for OSX86 essentials and the time machine fix. Install. Also install the Chameleon bootloader. Restart. Now go to Software Update and update to 10.5.7. Install and Restart.

Mac method

Step 1b:

I used a Macbook for the installation with this method. Any Mac running Leopard should work just fine. I took the hard drive that I will be using for the XPS Studio and put it in an external enclosure. Insert the Leopard retail install DVD into the Mac and install it onto the external drive. On reboot (if it doesn't naturally go to your external hard drive on boot) hold down option and then select your external drive. Update to 10.5.7 using Software Update and reboot. Next, install the Chameleon bootloader on to the external drive. Not sure if it is necessary or not, but I applied the kext package for OSX86 essentials and time machine fix using the Universal Installer. It is important that you don't shut down the computer until the last step of this guide is complete because the bootloader will make it to where you can't open this installation on you Mac anymore if you were to reboot.

Step 2:

Take Yardie's DSDT.aml file and place it in the Extra folder which is found when you go to Finder and your hard drive. Next, take the ATAPortInjector kext provided by Perfektpill and place it in the Extensions folder found in the Extra folder. Replace and authenticate.

Step 3:

Open Universal Installer and install all of the kexts from kexts folder to your hard drive.

Step 4 (Video):

I couldn't get my install to work properly until I got my video working. I have a HD 4850 dual DVI card, so this may or may not apply to you. Check out Netkas' site for more info for ATI cards. Currently I have the 4850 running dual monitors with full QE and CI (It's worth noting that if you have the 4850, you have to have two separate DVI connections plugged in or a DVI and VGA2DVI dongle for the video to work). Go into Universal Installer and install the ATY_Init.kext to your hard drive.

Step 5:

Go to Disk Utility, select your hard drive and repair permissions. Shut down.

Step 6:

Take the hard drive out and put it in your XPS Studio desktop. Make sure the ATA is selected instead of RAID in the bios, but everything else can remain default. Pray. You should have it booted now. My boot times have been around 1-2 minutes.

I appreciate everybody's input on this forum and hope this can help someone. Good luck!

Install_Pt1.zip

Install_Pt2.zip

Universal_Installer.zip

• 2 weeks later...

10.5.8 upgrade from iATKOS v7

I did a combo update 10.5.8 and everything worked fine, no kext needed to be re-installed.

picture1skk.th.png

picture2zdk.th.png

Well, reading my own post I realize my CPU was showing as unknown, I fixed using OSX86 tools

picture3y.th.png

Follow up: There are reports this update appear to break sleep, since I have a 3650HD video card in mine it's already broken, so a word of caution do a full system backup if you intend to give it a try.

So...

after 80 cigarettes, 55 hours, more caffiene than I like to admit, 4 different tutorials, 3 different bootable CD's, atleast 2 losing arguments with myself, 2 different video cards, rebooting over 60 times, and a 12 pack of beer, I finally got it working.

Part of the problem was the video card. You see my video card is not one that has been discussed here very much. I managed to get a NVidia GTX285 squeezed into our tiny little case. But all in all I am quite pleased with myself. 10.5.7 vanilla kernel, complete hardware funtionality minus the Mic inputs. Luckily my roommates are also huge geeks or they would have wondered why I was dancing around in my room at 11pm last night. The intro video with sound at a full 1920x1080 is pure win.

So ofcourse the first thing I did was shutdown and boot back to a CD to make a backup image of my drive. So here is where my next move comes into play...

I have a 640G drive I want to dual boot to 10.5.7 and Vista using either Thinkboot, or Chameleon. If I hit the power button and do nothing, I want it to boot to OS X. However I want the option of going to Vista. Also I will not be actually "installing" OS X again, just imaging the partition from my backup image. So what is the best plan of attach here? Anyone be able to point me to a walk-thru or anything like that?

BTW, from selecting my drive to boot to, to being active on the desktop...17 seconds.

one small problem I have noticed is that when I go to the system profiler, a bunch of my hardware is saying something like "there was an error gathering info for this device". anyone run into this before?