[GUIDE] Installing Leopard on Dell Studio XPS i7

Yardie

267 posts in this topic

Thanks mutis.

Is this a good enough deal @ $999 with the monitor to forego building my own? I'm assuming, from what little I know, that I won't be able to overclock this machine.

Thanks for any feedback.

Not a good deal, look at this deal last week: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/...p;keyword1=dell same specs plus a mini 10v.

Wait for a better deal or a coupon.

and no you cannot overclock

Has anyone tried updating from 10.5.8 to 10.6? As opposed to just installing it fresh like the guy above.

Has anyone attempted going to Snow at all (update or fresh install) except the dude above at all?

I've given it a shot, had tonnes of KPs, and i'm not the most savvy with kexts n ting so got scared and went back to 10.5.8 :)

Hey guys...

I recently sold my 435mt to a friend, but just wanted to let you guys know that I got a fully working version of SL up and running on it. I did a fresh install instead of trying to install on top of it. I used the Digital Dreamer v4.0 script found at Linky on post 2734. I went all the way through the script to get it working. Keep in mind that you need to install the PCI v10.2 bootloader under the bootloader option. Also, keep in mind that on SL, all of the kexts in the E/E folder have to be included in the Extensions.mkxt, so make sure to rerun the installation of kexts through the script if you add or remove one. And, for any 4850 users, I could never get my card to work using Netkas' ATY_init kext. It would just boot up into a black screen with random colors and white lines. So I removed the ATY kext and added EVOenabler.kext to the E/E folder and added a modified ATI4800Controller.kext to the S/L/E folder (just add it to the DD v4.0 script and install from there; I've included my kexts in case anyone wants to try them). Full QE, CI, and sleep work, plus it shows up as a OpenCL device. I can't remember all of the kexts in the other areas that should be installed, so just play around with it. Hope that helps someone. Good luck!

4850_kexts.zip

Hello,

Ok, so I got 10.5.7 installed and working "perfectly" following titelio's guide. Thanks dude!

A few minor issues though:

- doesn't wake up from sleep... (seems to be tied to the graphics card, cos I can hear the machine itself power back up. I have a radeon HD3650 with natit.kext installed)

- Activity monitor's CPU usage shows 8 graphs, but system profiler shows 1 processor 4 cores

- Did something wrong with OSXtools and messed up "About this mac" text. I didn't use any special characters (as I was warned to not do) though. How do I fix this? All I see now is stuff like ABOUT_BOX_VERSION_FORMAT_STRING and such...

Any help greatly appreciated!

DW

- Activity monitor's CPU usage shows 8 graphs, but system profiler shows 1 processor 4 cores

Any help greatly appreciated!

DW

This is easy - the processor is a quad core, single socket processor - however it supports hyperthreading. Therefore it's reporting everything correctly, as it has 1 processor, 4 physical cores, but each of those cores also report as 2 single threads to the CPU monitor.

Thanks Nick, I should've known that one...

Something else I noticed:

Ever since I installed 10.5.7, I can't boot into my iAtkos v5 partition no more...

Would this have something to do with installing chameleon 2 on the Vanilla partition?

strange...

Reinstall the ATAPortInjector on the iAtkos partition using the OSX86 tool.

• 1 month later...

Can someone post a guide for Installing snow leopard? I've been using the modified SL install disk on a USB method for installing and can't seem to get the installer to recognize my hard drive in the XPS!

Also I don't see the same BIOS options as some of you guys do. I have a mode that can go between "RAID" and "ATA" and the AHCI mode of STR3 or STR1 or something like that.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
I just installed 10.5.8 into my xps410. The only problem I have is that whenever I shut down, the power still on. I tried to repatch with DSDT patcher but didn't work. Is it because I used the 8800gts video card?

Try booting without DSDT (using LegacyAppleRTC)

then patching with this patcher

All attached

DSDT_Patcher_2.zip

LegacyAppleRTC_32bit_Only.kext.zip

All right guys,

I just want to share my experience on getting Snow Leopard running on a Dell i7 435 MT. It is pretty painless, and I have it running the kernel in 64-bit.

First off, I didn't install it from a USB stick, but I would recommend you do it that way if you do not have another OS X partition running. I did however install it from my working Leopard 10.5.8 partition. Since I installed it from another partition, if you're using a USB stick, you can replace and skip my first steps.

You have to make sure you're using Chameleon 2 rc 3 or higher in order for Snow Leopard to boot correctly.

Before you start, you need to have your computer set to ATA mode instead of RAID for Chameleon boot loader to work.

Forgive me if I misrepresent something, as I don't have the computer in front of me to confirm names of kexts and stuff.

Keep in mind that if you install Snow Leopard from Leopard, it will not work 100% (try to repair permissions through disk util). There are people that will tell you ways to fix those problems... I personally wanted to make sure it's right, so I installed Snow Leopard like I'm telling you here on my Fail Safe partition, and then reinstalled it again the same exact way on my real partition from the Fail Safe. You can avoid doing all that if you install from a USB stick using the method described on the myHack site.

1. I formatted my second hard drive using a GUID partition scheme.

2. I ran the /system/installation/packages/OSInstall.mpkg located off the retail DVD, and pointed it to the second hard drive. I did a custom install and deselected all additional languages and printer drivers. After doing this, I get Install Completed Successfully at the end of the install.

3. I ran myHack (version 1 rc4.1 r55) and made sure I pointed it to the new install. Here is the link to download: http://osx86.sojugarden.com/category/myhack-utilities/ (hopefully this forum will let me post that, if not search for myhack in google it is on the sojugarden dot com site).

You must select custom when you are able to, because you need to install special kext for using ATA mode. Once you're in the customize screen, leave everything checked that already is, however, make sure to also select AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext.

4. Run your DSDT patcher on the volume.

5. Place your video card drivers in the appropriate location. I am using a Radeon 4850, so I used the package on netkas's site: http://netkas.org/?p=212. The package puts Evoenabler in the S/L/E folder, and adds the correct device ID to the two appropriate radeon kexts that come with Snow Leopard.

6. Add any extra drivers in the appropriate location (if you put anything in the E/E folder, you need to repair permissions and rebuild the cache, or you can just re-run the myHack installer selecting the same options under customize as earlier, and it will rebuild the cache for you with any additional kexts you added in there)

5. Boot into single user mode (-s).

6. Repair any additional kexts you put in S/L/E -

chown -R root:wheel filename.kext

chmod -R go-w filename.kext

7. Build your kernel cache (this will save you A LOT of time with boot up if you run into issues).

kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

9. Reboot. You might have to wait a little while for the first time. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes. My boot time is around roughly 30 seconds now in 64 bit mode.

10. By default myHack has the arch=i386 flag thrown in the boot.plist in the E/E (extra/extensions) folder. Take that out if if you want to boot with a 64 bit kernel. To see if you are using a 64 bit kernel, go into about this mac and then system profiler, and click on the Software text on the left.

11. You should be good to go (hopefully your video is working, if not check netkas.org for the right packages). When I updated to 10.6.1, Snow Leopard overwrote my video drivers, and I had to reinstall them.

Good luck! I hope I didn't leave anything out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'd like to go ahead and say that I got iAtkos 7i working perfectly on my 435MT; the distro CD has support for ATI Radeon 4850 series built into it which is very useful to say the least.

Yeah It's REALLY easy to do a Snow Leopard usb install after you figure it out. As a simple step by step based on the general usb install guide:

1. Format USB and restore install CD image.

2. Run the myhack utility onto the usb http://osx86.sojugarden.com/category/myhack-utilities/ . Make sure you do a custom install with the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext added.

3. Install from USB.

4. boot the first time from the usb to your hard drive (meaning use the chameleon bootloader on the usb to boot the hard drive).

5. Install myhack on the hard drive.

Now I just need to figure out the ethernet kext I need...

Brian

For everyone who still has trouble getting their 4850 (dual DVI) card to work in 10.5.7, here's how I got it working.

1. removed all kexts starting with ATI*

2. removed Natit.kext

3. reboot

4. graphics work, but only 1024*768

5. follow this guide to the letter: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=155477

I also have netkas' latest natit and ATY_init installed.

The display goes to sleep and wakes up again, but the machine itself doesn't...

Also, I never got sound to work. The headphone jack in the front works fine, but all the audio-ports at the back are dead...

grts,

DW