Final Cut Pro 5.1 Installed and Working now with HD

Wayland

276 posts in this topic

Yes, I repeat, FCP does need QE in order to function, 90% of the crashes people have reported to me have been because they see 5.0 work under rosetta and assume that 5.1 will work the same. It won't! you need QE support. And Yes that saphire card rocks! It really does. and it will work. I have tested it. Keep in mind that different video cards will not change your render speeds. Just FYI

ON ANOTHER NOTE!!!!

I am testing HD video on the osx86, will post with some results as soon as I can!!!!!!

Nah... I have QE and CI definitely enabled using the koverg patch. Hell, I have Quartz 2D Extreme enabled and Beamsync disabled as well.

Hi,

I wish to know the main differences between the "same" cards from different vendors.

Like, what does Powercolor, Sapphire and Connect3d x1600 XT have different?

Also, I have tried contacting different users on theirs platforms - Intel X AMD - and how professional do they think the boxes are (sorry for lousy English!). Could you tell me why Opterons/Pentiums are best? And which mobos? And only the x1600 are fully working or are they the best choice on their price? Thank you all very much!

One last thing:

Is the ADD2 option the only way so far to have dual monitor capabilities?

Do anybody know about pro monitoring for HD using, for instance, Black magic cards or PNY Quadro?

Hi,

I wish to know the main differences between the "same" cards from different vendors.

Like, what does Powercolor, Sapphire and Connect3d x1600 XT have different?

Also, I have tried contacting different users on theirs platforms - Intel X AMD - and how professional do they think the boxes are (sorry for lousy English!). Could you tell me why Opterons/Pentiums are best? And which mobos? And only the x1600 are fully working or are they the best choice on their price? Thank you all very much!

One last thing:

Is the ADD2 option the only way so far to have dual monitor capabilities?

Do anybody know about pro monitoring for HD using, for instance, Black magic cards or PNY Quadro?

Hey old friend, lets go down the list here...

The only card you listed that I have knowledge on is the Saphire. It has on board a controller that lets the card control more than the software. It lets OSX work and be more compatible than most. That may not make much sense, but other cards require more driver support, if that makes sense.

Pentiums seem to be the best because they are the most compatible. Since apple develops Intel based software, typically the Intels are the first to work when the new patches come out, and other software just seems to be more compatible. The Saphire x1600 is the only one I tested... so I knnow that one works. Add2 is the only dual mon available option, and I am testing HD right now, so I will post results when I get some more time. More to come :thanks_speechbubble:

In fact, the HDV video SHOWS UP on FCP 5.0 which is for PPC. It would be great and all except it runs like garbage. We need the 5.1 UB version.

But the 5.1 UB version has the bunk codec for HDV! Argggggg!

Someone help!

You are right and wrong in some ways... There are some formats that DON'T work in hd:

"DVCPRO HD has one "gotcha": It doesn't support the 1080 24p flavor of HD. DVCPRO HD can work in both 720p or 1080i, but if you want 1080 24p (for instance, if you ever want to make a movie that could be theatrically distributed, which the 24p format is best qualified for), you have to bring it into Final Cut as uncompressed HD video. You need an HD capture card and fast RAID drives to work with it, and you don't enjoy real-time previews of many effects. On the bright side, Final Cut does support a 24 frames-per-second version of the 720p HD format, so you can use this as a fallback option if 24 frames-per-second playback is very important to you (though you won't get the super-crisp picture resolution of the 1080i 24p format)."

From: http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-2693.html

I have tested HD video from the HVX200 and was successful.

I am attaching images that have the details. I will run benchmarks to describe the actual speed of rendering, etc...

The format is also listed on one of the pics as well.

The P2 card was read in my Macbook Titanuim. So far the PCMCIA driver for the P2 card will not work on my asus laptop, so I had to import the files from the p2 card and then transfer the .mov file into the osx86 computer. So far it works great! Check it out:

post-15194-1154234946_thumb.png

post-15194-1154235009_thumb.png

You are right and wrong in some ways... There are some formats that DON'T work in hd:

"DVCPRO HD has one "gotcha": It doesn't support the 1080 24p flavor of HD. DVCPRO HD can work in both 720p or 1080i, but if you want 1080 24p (for instance, if you ever want to make a movie that could be theatrically distributed, which the 24p format is best qualified for), you have to bring it into Final Cut as uncompressed HD video. You need an HD capture card and fast RAID drives to work with it, and you don't enjoy real-time previews of many effects. On the bright side, Final Cut does support a 24 frames-per-second version of the 720p HD format, so you can use this as a fallback option if 24 frames-per-second playback is very important to you (though you won't get the super-crisp picture resolution of the 1080i 24p format)."

From: http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-2693.html

I have tested HD video from the HVX200 and was successful.

I am attaching images that have the details. I will run benchmarks to describe the actual speed of rendering, etc...

The format is also listed on one of the pics as well.

The P2 card was read in my Macbook Titanuim. So far the PCMCIA driver for the P2 card will not work on my asus laptop, so I had to import the files from the p2 card and then transfer the .mov file into the osx86 computer. So far it works great! Check it out:

But I'm not talking about bringing "HD" video into FCP on my Hackintosh, I'm talking about bringing HDV into FCP on my hackintosh. The CODEC is "HDV" and is fully supported on my Powerbook G4 Titanium.

The reason I wanted to build a Hackintosh in the first place was to do HDV editing (1920x1080) straight off my Sony HDR High-Def camcorder. The native format for this is HDV, a somewhat compressed? codec from Apple.

There must be a solution!

Here's the item properties screenshot of HDV video clips.

post-35967-1154344843_thumb.jpg

Notice the major difference in Data Rate.

My mistake... I was thinking solely HD in my own mind. I haven't worked with HDV before, so I'm not sure of it's details.

For those who don't know the difference, it's not really native HD, it's recorded onto tapes which have a transfer limitation of 25mbps. Whereas the HD I was working with was uncompressed with a much higher transfer rate of 50 Mbps to 100 Mbps.

One thing I might suggest, that MAY work is Lumiere. It has some tools that may let it work, however I didn't see a trial section to try it out. Check it out here:

http://www.lumierehd.com/

As for more info on Lumiere and HDV here is some more infor from their site:

What exactly is HDV?

HDV is High Definition Video recorded on the same digital videotapes that DV is recorded on today.

HDV can be recorded on regular DV tapes using MPEG-2 compression, which is the same compression used by broadcasters and is the standard for DVD videos.

Is HDV High Definition?

Yes, HDV is High Definition. High definition images appear crisper and more detailed because they possess a higher resolution than Standard Definition.

The HDV products currently on the market are all 720p. This means they have 1280x720 pixels at 30 progressive frames per second. This produces an incredible picture compared to NTSC SD, which has only 720X480 pixels.

How good is the quality of HDV?

The quality of your footage has a lot to do with the camera you use and your skills as a cinematographer. Today, the best camera available to shoot HDV is the JY-HD10U, made by JVC. HDV has the same MPEG-2 compression bitrate (Approx. 19Mbps) than the HD signal sent to HDTV equiped homes today.

Here is an example of footage shot with the JY-HD10U:

MPEG4 Clip (19 MB - Compressed for web viewing) - Requires QuickTime 6.5

CTRL/Click Choose "Download Linked File" for Mac users.

MPEG-2 Transport Stream Clip (60 MB) - Requires VLC Player

If I shoot in HDV, on what format can I give products to my clients?

Today you can deliver the project you shoot in VHS, DVD (SD), DV, or HDV and DVHS.

While High Definition tvs in the United States are getting more popular every day, there are not yet any HD DVD players.

Why is shooting in HDV better than DV?

For the answer to this question, seeing is knowing.

Click here for a real size sample HDV frame.

The inside frame is what a DV camera would record while the total frame is what an HDV camera would record. In short, you get to record a whole lot more.

The other major advantage to shooting in HDV now is that your project and footage will still be usable in the coming years as TV stations, TVs, and DVD players all are made solely for High Definition material. This means the commercial you shoot for a client can be shown on TV now in SD and in a few years in HD.

Similarly, the event video you shoot now will be able to be enjoyed in a HD DVD player in the future, whereas if you shoot the event today is SD, in the future there may not be a way to watch the footage.

guys, an off topic question: where can i get the 5.1 update for FCP? I have the 5.0.Thanks.

From the Apple Store........

Or from some other place, like some sort of bay or demon place........

We are not permitted to discus such things here.

quick question... Do i need the PPC version of the CDs to install 5.1?

Depends if you have the upgrade version or full version of course!

Is anyone running 1920x1200 resolution? My roommate wants to use his Dell 2405 LCD(24" widescreen) with FCP. Right now he has a 9800XT, which i believe will not do 1920x1200 in OSX86. Does anyone know if the x1600 run at 1920x1200? or any other card suggestions?

Thanks.

Okay, heeeeeere's the million-dollar question:

I had 5.1 installed, HDV codec not working, so I moved the Final Cut Pro icon to the trash, re-installed 5.0 (not UB supposedly), and now HDV video shows up.

PROBLEM NOW:

every time I try to PLAY the timeline, the CPU usage goes WAY UP and it gives me the "dropped frames" warning before it even starts playing. That's obviously unacceptable.

What do I do? How do I enable "Rosetta emulation" or whatever, if that's possible. Or, do I re-install OSX, because the 5.1 stuff might be screwing up the 5.0 stuff?

Wayland, I'm lookin' at you- since you had 5.0 working previously. What's the trick?

post-35967-1154475129_thumb.jpg

Is anyone running 1920x1200 resolution? My roommate wants to use his Dell 2405 LCD(24" widescreen) with FCP. Right now he has a 9800XT, which i believe will not do 1920x1200 in OSX86. Does anyone know if the x1600 run at 1920x1200? or any other card suggestions?

Thanks.

Yeah, I'm not too sure on whether that resolution is even supported under OSX, let alone that card.

Okay, heeeeeere's the million-dollar question:

I had 5.1 installed, HDV codec not working, so I moved the Final Cut Pro icon to the trash, re-installed 5.0 (not UB supposedly), and now HDV video shows up.

PROBLEM NOW:

every time I try to PLAY the timeline, the CPU usage goes WAY UP and it gives me the "dropped frames" warning before it even starts playing. That's obviously unacceptable.

What do I do? How do I enable "Rosetta emulation" or whatever, if that's possible. Or, do I re-install OSX, because the 5.1 stuff might be screwing up the 5.0 stuff?

Wayland, I'm lookin' at you- since you had 5.0 working previously. What's the trick?

post-35967-1154475129_thumb.jpg

Ok, 5.0 runs off of the Rosetta emulation, as you know. So it's simulating the powerpc processor wheras the universal version runs it natively off the intel chip. That's why it's working, but very slowly in 5.0.

The codec or portion of FCP is not working for you in HDV, but why that is, I'm not sure, but I have some ways to test it. Can you post a very small (Maybe no more than 2 seconds) of HDV footage so we can test it out and see what we can do with it?

The reason I'm thinking this is because you have an AMD processor. Now I'm not going to get into which is better, yada-yada, but I was curious to see it the reason it's not coming up correctly is because the codec for HDV depends on a piece of the intel architecture that is utilized for HDV. I will do the same and post HD footage to play with as well, once I figure out how to output it correctly and small, because like I said, it's huge!

The codec or portion of FCP is not working for you in HDV, but why that is, I'm not sure, but I have some ways to test it. Can you post a very small (Maybe no more than 2 seconds) of HDV footage so we can test it out and see what we can do with it?

Anything that'll help!

Here's a 4 or 5 second video of a teddy bear:

http://www.ivymedia.ca/anonymous/bear.mov (14 MB)

It's in HDV format.

Thanks again for the help Wayland!

I just did some testing on my HDV problem, and here's the new weirdest thing:

I imported HDV video to my OSx86 Final Cut Pro 5.1.1 timeline, which was, as you saw it above, ALL GREEN, then EXPORTED it as a NEW HDV 1080i quicktime movie, transferred it back to my Powerbook, and lo and behold, it plays normally. (not green, even though it still is on my osx86 box)

SO

The only thing going wrong on the OSx86 box is the PLAYBACK is green. The output is obviously ok. Just the playback.

Any thoughts?

I am downloading your file now and will get back to you asap! In the meanwhile I have been doing some new benches...

HD uncompressed benchmark Kit!

post-15194-1154570810_thumb.png

Click Below For link:

http://rapidshare.de/files/27988062/hdtestfolder.zip.html

Made in FCP Version 5.1.1

I have consolidated a few seconds of HD footage at 1080i60 so people can test and play with it.

I also applied the same filters so that we can do some benchmarking as well. We need to see what kind of engine we have. Since we have limited space, the footage is smaller, so the test is faster. The footage is quite boring, just a guy at a desk. No, that's not me, just some old footage off of the p2 card used in an HVX200.

System Results

Pentium 4, on Asus p5ld2-vm with a 3 GHZ processor, 2 Gig Ram, GMA 950:

Render Time: 00:22:82

Or: 23 Seconds.

I just did some testing on my HDV problem, and here's the new weirdest thing:

I imported HDV video to my OSx86 Final Cut Pro 5.1.1 timeline, which was, as you saw it above, ALL GREEN, then EXPORTED it as a NEW HDV 1080i quicktime movie, transferred it back to my Powerbook, and lo and behold, it plays normally. (not green, even though it still is on my osx86 box)

SO

The only thing going wrong on the OSx86 box is the PLAYBACK is green. The output is obviously ok. Just the playback.

Any thoughts?

Hey there, great news... sorta, I was able to get it running. Which means that it most likely is your processor :happymac:

Sorry for that bit of news. My tech specs are on the intro forum, but it looks like intel is the most compatible for HDV. I have posted a screen cap. As for the RED line, I dropped it into a different format timeline, so it wanted to render there. In viewing it looked great.... well except poor little bear.

If you want to do some more tests, just let me know!

post-15194-1154575082_thumb.png

Wow Wayland nice new sig! (Where'd you get the inspiration? ;) )

Well this is great news. At least there's a cure for the HDV problem. Know anyone on the market for an AMD 3700 with a mobo incl.?

How much was your set of processor/mobo? I'll have to shop around, cuz even though by the end of spending all the money I have on this machine it'll probably be just as expensive as a real mac, I MUST SUCCEED!

Once again thanks again Wayland. I checked out your site, and I like your stuff. Really touching short film (Love Lost). That song by Fisher was my wife and my 2nd song at our wedding, she loves it.

I'll report back once I obtain some Intel stuff

Wow Wayland nice new sig! (Where'd you get the inspiration? :) )

Well this is great news. At least there's a cure for the HDV problem. Know anyone on the market for an AMD 3700 with a mobo incl.?

How much was your set of processor/mobo? I'll have to shop around, cuz even though by the end of spending all the money I have on this machine it'll probably be just as expensive as a real mac, I MUST SUCCEED!

Once again thanks again Wayland. I checked out your site, and I like your stuff. Really touching short film (Love Lost). That song by Fisher was my wife and my 2nd song at our wedding, she loves it.

I'll report back once I obtain some Intel stuff

Just checked on Newegg (which is where I bought my stuff originally) The MB is $104.99, and it looks like my processor is like 85 bucks now. So all in all it was a really good buy. With memory you might be able to get it about $250 or so...

Yeah, I saw your sig on here and I was like... I need one of those! :)

And thanks for you comments about my work, I am constantly working on new projects here and there, so I'll post more when they're done :)