PCEFI v9 Installer Raid Edition !

Trauma!

30 posts in this topic

You can use this bundle in order to simply setup an Apple Raid with PCEFI v9 !

Please follow every steps carefully !!! If you do, then your will be able to boot an Apple Raid volume successfully. This toolbox is for PCEFI v9 experimented users only ! (this can also be used as replacement

of Munky's method, this can work from any hfs partition or usb key...)

First of all : PCEFI v9 is not able to boot Apple Raid natively, so we have to provide to the bootloader everything that it needs to boot properly. The idea is to clone your actual setup on an Apple Raid volume and then make it bootable. I wont explain the cloning process since it's really easy to do !! (use carbon copy cloner or Disk utility to do that) What we need is a bootable partition that will point on the Raid volume System.

In the DMG you will find several scripts to help you through the installation of PCEFI v9:

1-FileSystemToInstaller script will copy all the files needed to boot from your existing setup to the installer folder. (Boot Partition Contents) Once you have launched the script please take a look inside "Boot Partition Contents" to see what's needed to boot a system.

2-PasteYourBootUUID script will open com.apple.boot.plist in the text editor so you can add the UUID of partition you want to boot. (basically an Apple Raid Volume) Please use disk utility to find the UUID of you partition. Once edited your com.apple.boot.plist should look like this (this will not affect your current system):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>boot-uuid=1645F326-7460-3D1B-97C2-5578F7C31091</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>3</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Save the file and go to step 3.

3-Please mount your "Boot OSX" partition with diskutil. In terminal type :

diskutil list

You should find two "Boot OSX" hidden partition, chose one and mount it (replace X & Y with the disered one ):

diskutil mount diskXsY

Then launch "PCEFI_v9_Raid_Edition" !!!! Choose the "Boot OSX" volume to install PCEFI v9 on it.

Reboot and select the proper drive to boot (the one you've installed PCEFI on !

4- Once you have booted on the Raid Volume. Mount the dmg and look into the BootMkextToolkit2b folder. Please read the ReadMe file !!! At least you have edit the BootMkextUpdater script with the correct address of your boot partition (Boot OSX). Edit every diskXsY fields inside the script.

To find out X & Y of your Boot partition you have to use terminal. Type in:

diskutil list

you should find again two "Boot OSX" hidden partition, chose the one you've installed PCEFI on and edit the script with the correct informations (disk2s3). Once editing is done, please save the file and launch "3-installStartUpitem" !!

This startupitem script will automatically update your Boot OSX partition at each shutdown/restart !!!! That is the typical behavior of an Apple Raid setup, but done another way which is compatible with PCEFI v9.

And now we're done, Good luck!!!!

Here is the link to the dmg file :

http://www.mediafire.com/?wndyw2gnwzn

http://www.mediafire.com/?yly3zzongjt

Thanks to all Chameleon & OSX86 Developers who make such things possible, especially zef, modbin, DFE, netkas, fassl, mackerintel, ~PCWIZ and kalyway for helping me at any time and share their work and knowledge, keep it up thanks.

Thanks so much.It work for me perfect,really easy setup.

Can we use DSDT on this set up?Thanks

Of Course you can use DSDT with it !!! You have to copy the aml file to the boot partition.

Glad it's ok for you ;)

Bye.

Hy all,

I can actually tell that 30 persons have downloaded this pack, and only two of them gave us feedback !!

I will appreciate that other people let us know what they think of that method.

Cheers.

Should this work with my 3ware 9650SE? I setup the RAID a couple of nights ago and spent an hour fumbling around with PCIEFI v9 before going back. I have it booting with Chameleon 1.0.11 at the moment.

I will give this a try tonight and let you know.

Thanks,

Kevin

YES!!!! :) This works beautifully!!! Much easier than any other method I've seen.

Thanks to your, Trauma! I can now boot off my 2 WD Caviar Black 1TB HDDs that are

attached to my LSI 3442E-R controller using Apple RAID!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

YES!!!! ;) This works beautifully!!! Much easier than any other method I've seen.

Thanks to your, Trauma! I can now boot off my 2 WD Caviar Black 1TB HDDs that are

attached to my LSI 3442E-R controller using Apple RAID!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

All right then !!! Thanks for this positive report :D !

Did you check if the startupitem works fine ? It should but i wanted some feedback about that !

Thanks for the reply anyway, i hope other people will enjoy it while we all waiting for the next chameleon release.

Bye.

ok, i have succsesfully used your script and i'm now on the raid volume.

but i feel abit uncomfortable using the other script with the bootmkext thing. i have to edit the script to fit with my disk3s3, thats not my problem, but when i unplug or plug in a new disk this may change.

is there a way to use the id or something wich won'T change if i alter my disk confiuration?

and what does happen if i don't use ths script at all? i will forever stay with the old mkext? does this matter as long as i don't alter it?

apart from this one your aedvise and scripts are fool prove.

thx

Hy,

Well, you are right about the fact that disk address may change "some times". In the beginning I was using an UUID instead of diskXsY.

The problem is that the two "Boot OSX" partitions have the same UUID. :) So the script was updating randomly the two partitions !!

I wanted it to update always the same partition. I think apple raid is using the same UUID for the two boot partitions in order to have a real

redundancy in case of corruption of the boot partition.

I don't know if it possible to modify the UUID of a partition, but it could be the key ! Another idea could be to use the "efi" partition instead of

the "Boot OSX" one, or a USB stick, see what i mean ? Any HFS partition could do the job, and this time with a real Unique Universal ID !!!

About the update thing : the idea was to update the boot partition dynamically in case of system updates ! (new kernel, updated extensions and so Extensions.mkext) This is not a big issue if you don't use the startupitem script as long as you update manualy the boot partition in case of system modifications.

Thanks for the reply.

Ps : nice signature B)

Ok, i've found a way to generate a new UUID for the boot partition ! So we can get rid of the "twin UUID's" !!! :)

You can use this command to simply generate a new UUID for the partition of your choice :

sudo /System/Library/Filesystems/hfs.fs/hfs.util -s diskXsY

And you can use this command to read the new UUID (diskutil will see the new UUID after reboot only):

sudo /System/Library/Filesystems/hfs.fs/hfs.util -k diskXsY;echo

It will output something like this :

F10388A8-7941-379B-8B64-31645965877B

After what you can paste the new UUID into the startupitem script !! This way you will be sure to always

point in the correct partition. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Hy all,

I can actually tell that 30 persons have downloaded this pack, and only two of them gave us feedback !!

I will appreciate that other people let us know what they think of that method.

Cheers.

Hi!!!

I was trying to boot on apple raid for one week whith chameleon whithout any succes (still ned to keep instal dvd to boot on my Raid).

So, I've tryed your method:

-Create Raid: 2 minutes.

-Clone systhem on raid: 9 minutes

-make my raid bootable: around 10 minutes :D

So I've got my new apple raid full usefful in less of half an hour!!!!!

Only one thing to say: thanks very very much.

instal very easy to follow, even for a newbbie like me :P .

hurra for Trauma!!!!

Cheers :angel::blink:

Rotche, from Reunion Island

Hy rotche,

Thank you for the reply ! I'm happy you've found this method useful.

It's meant to be easy to do and to understand.

If you come from the Réunion Island you are surely speak french !

Take a look at my signature... :)

Bye.

Hy, another success story ! :P

About your hardware growler problem ! This is the action of OS X himself, monting and unmounting the partition to update it ! The "same" process has we do at shutdown. I have noticed that even with chameleon in native mode.

So to me this not a problem. ;)

Does the RAID 10 setup is working ?

Bye

See attached evidence ;)

As always it would be pretty easy to fake this, but trust me it isn't. Disk Utility and the command line tools take a lot longer to start up, but that is the only issue at the minute. For those who say RAID 10 is too expensive... well... it is. Unless of course two of your drives were free ;-)

post-65366-1234914596_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have answered your PM JD Apolo.

Maybe you could explain it to other users, and see if they are experiencing the same problem !

Here i don't have any problems with boot flags (-v, -f, -x)

Bye.

• 2 months later...

Thank you.

I finally got my RAID array working. I couldn't get it to work for a long time since it seemed that I had some bad file somewhere that prevented my from booting. So I restored from a test disk image, which was basically just a clean install, got it bootable, then used Migration Assistant instead of CCC and it works now.

I still don't know what the file was or where it was. I'm pretty sure it was in the system folder somewhere though, because Migration Assistant doesn't copy that. I don't think it was an extension since I went through an exhaustive search in there and even replaced the entire folder with a clean one.

Once bad file I know of was from Sun's Virtual Box (VBox FltSDrv).