PCEFI v9 Installer Raid Edition !

Trauma!

30 posts in this topic

Made a Clone with superduper, and applied your scripts.

Seem to be working.

Xbench starts @ 198, but end @ 89 for the raid set.

IN my message los there a continues message "AppleRAIDMember::synchronizeCacheCallout: failed with e00002ca on 472DC1D2-0B0A-4FAF-AFB5-C23BC57C9876"

Shouild I be worried about this ??

And my system only boots, when i set HDD in BIOs on IDE Enhanced....

bg

VenimK

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the awesome work Trauma!

I should have posted this response way long ago, like when I first got this going at the beginning of the year - sorry for the delayed feedback!

I started with AquaMac's RAID guide (thanks AquaMac!) and then polished it off with your guide and BootMkextUpdater... I have been successfully booting off a 2 disk Raid 0 striped since the beginning of the year, currently on vanilla Leopard 10.5.8, Chameleon 1.0.12 + PC EFI v9.

I did make some modifications to the BookMkextUpdater as shown below. Someone with better know how and patience could probably make this code more modular with further subroutines and variables to shorten the script. Imagine if I were to add a few more disks to the Raid array, this script would get way loooong, albeit with quick cut/paste/edit. Really the only major edit I've made is to edit the Boot.plist file on all of the Boot OSX partitions for each raid slice to account for how disks seem to get randomly assigned everytime you reboot, especially if after adding/removing drives etc.

#!/bin/bash
. /etc/rc.common

# The stop subroutine
StopService() {
   # Insert your stop command(s) below.  
   #1st raid "Boot OSX" partition
diskutil mount 24DD1868-72CD-3094-BCF1-2013305456CA
sudo rm /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/Backup/Extensions.mkext.previous
sudo mv /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/System/Library/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/Backup/Extensions.mkext.previous
sudo cp -R /System/Library/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/System/Library/Extensions.mkext
sudo rm /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/Backup/mach_kernel.previous
sudo mv /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/mach_kernel /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/Backup/mach_kernel.previous
sudo cp -R /mach_kernel /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/mach_kernel
     ##update com.apple.Boot.plist at where it'll actually get read from, during random single BootOSX bootstrap to Raid
sudo cp -p /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/
echo "Fixing new Extensions.mkext Autorisations"
sudo chmod 644 /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/System/Library/Extensions.mkext
sudo chown root:wheel /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/System/Library/Extensions.mkext
echo "Fixing new mach_kernel Autorisations"
echo "Unmounting Boot OSX Partition"
diskutil unmount 24DD1868-72CD-3094-BCF1-2013305456CA
   #2nd raid "Boot OSX" Partition
diskutil mount B7EBEA64-C23C-3036-90BE-28C9BC911D90
sudo mv /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/System/Library/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/Backup/Extensions.mkext.previous
sudo cp -R /System/Library/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/System/Library/Extensions.mkext
sudo mv /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/mach_kernel /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/Backup/mach_kernel.previous
     ##update com.apple.Boot.plist at where it'll actually get read from, during random single BootOSX bootstrap to Raid
       sudo cp -p /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/
diskutil unmount B7EBEA64-C23C-3036-90BE-28C9BC911D90

# End stop command(s).
}

# The restart subroutine
RestartService() {
   # Insert your start command(s) below. 
   #1st raid "Boot OSX" partition
diskutil mount 24DD1868-72CD-3094-BCF1-2013305456CA
diskutil unmount 24DD1868-72CD-3094-BCF1-2013305456CA
   #2nd raid "Boot OSX" partition
diskutil mount B7EBEA64-C23C-3036-90BE-28C9BC911D90
diskutil unmount B7EBEA64-C23C-3036-90BE-28C9BC911D90
  # End start command(s).
}

RunService "$1"

Like I said, it appears to have been working well for many months now. If anybody sees any flaws or a way to modularize this further, that would help keep things tidy for others.

By the way, does anybody know if this method works with or is even 100% needed for Chameleon 2.0 RC3? There was mention that Chameleon 2 RC2/3 now has RAID support, but I'm not sure what that really entails? I've been tinkering with another single drive to run Snow Leopard 10.6.1 with Chameleon 2 RC3 (currently using Netkas' PC EFI 10.3 in addition), and would like to clone this over onto my existing RAID at some point.

Hi Arbor,

My answer is definitely yes ! Since Chameleon RC2 apple raid is REALLY supported. No more need to update anything since chameleon is able to load boot.plist and mkext from native boot OSX file system. It's also support reading the "Boot UUID" key inside the Boot OSX boot.plist and even look for your raid volume name !!!

So go ahead that's working automatically and very very well :unsure:, thanks Zef for this !!!

So consider this installer and Startup items totally depreciated.

To moderators : this topic can be closed if you like so.