Asus P5N7A-VM

DiaboliK

1,296 posts in this topic

Hi,

Installing Mavericks is fairly easy. First create a forbidden usb installation key of the uni kind and put chris_rocks DSDT into the Extra folder.

Boot from this - be patient, the installer takes ages to load. Then install as normal.

I am still booting from the usb key while I try to figure out which kexts, extensions, etc are required. One piece of good news, sleep seems to work ootb.

Any help getting this fully working is appreciated - I am just a midget standing on the shoulders of giants,

NWJ

Well, that was fairly easy.

Following installation as above, ran Multibeast6 selecting User DSDT (thanks again chris_rocks) EvOreboot, FakeSMC, FakeSMC Plugins, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector (probably not needed). Let it do its thing, reboot to the Installer, run the Boot0: error fix, restart and it all seems to work (except Audio - next challenge).

So Mavericks on this board - easy !

NWJ

• Like 1

Let it do its thing, reboot to the Installer, run the Boot0: error fix, restart and it all seems to work (except Audio - next challenge).

Thanks for all the hard work.  I'm looking to install Mavericks on my board as well.  I'm not sure I am clear on the Boot0 error fix.  Can you explain what that error is and what exactly you did to resolve it (other than indicating you booted back into the installer)?

• 2 months later...

nowhinjing, I'd like to thank you for your effort in typing how to install mavericks on this board. With your attached files it is indeed really easy. I have 2 harddrives in this build and one drive is now running mavericks very smoothly. I just have one issue before I make mavericks my main OS (now running 10.6.8 as my main) and that is that I can't use 2 screens at a time. When I connect another screen to the dvi port in this board mavericks won't boot. I try to figure out what I did different on 10.6.8 but it's out of my knowledge. Perhaps someone else has some ideas on this? I followed this guide for 10.6.8  ( http://coderazzi.net/osx/p5n7a-vm/index.htm )

i only tested DP + HDMi yet but that works fine (10.9.2) too bad the DP out does not seem to support audio, anyone knows what to use for monitoring clocks of the geforce 9300? Tried some older FakeSMC plugins but i have not yet gotten it to work, however AGPM seems to load fine and so does CUDA, is it normal for this board to use the nvidia.classic.NVDANV50HalTesla  drivers? Because i can no longer remember if it was like that in 10.6 / 10.7 / 10.8  edit: Also suprised to see sleep fully working.. this is without any kext like sleepenabler. This board is gonna make a great HTPC / Media server now.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

If it is of any interest I have just installed Yosemite 10.10.2 with no problems using the modified DSDT and Audio kext that I posted above.

Audio works - have not tested much else yet.

I now have instances of Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion and Yosemite all running on this board. 

It might be old - but it works (a bit like me, I suppose !)

• Like 1

If it is of any interest I have just installed Yosemite 10.10.2 with no problems using the modified DSDT and Audio kext that I posted above.

Audio works - have not tested much else yet.

I now have instances of Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion and Yosemite all running on this board. 

It might be old - but it works (a bit like me, I suppose !)

Wow this is awesome. I still have this board with regular Lion installed from an upgrade of Snow.

I'd love to get it updated to Yosemite. What do you think is the best route? Upgrade of start fresh?

I'd love to compare notes. Do you have any special BIOS flashed on yours? If I remember I had to flash a certain BIOS as well.

If I were you I would start afresh as the DSDT you will need ( posted above ) is not compatible with Lion.

This DSDT should also mean that you don't need to flash the bios - unless you are not using the latest one.

The Uni forbidden and Multi forbidden method is your best bet.

Good Luck

• 1 month later...

Also, FWIW, during the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] install of Yosemite, for whatever reason, I needed to ignore the kextcache (-f) and use:

USBLegacyOff=yes nv_disable=1

In order for the USB bus not to give me a "could not acquire from the bios…" message, or have the monitor go to sleep after booting the kernel, respectively.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi, I just tried to update this old thing to Yosemite. Thought about getting the Server app and playing around a bit.

This machine worked fine for years. Now I am not even getting the panic freeze. It simply restarts.

Anyone who has this running on yosemite might mind sharing his Extra folder and what BIOS he is using?

That would be great.

also just for the record or Google that is:

Installing Yosemite using Clover on P5N7A-VM with BIOS 519 and no external DSDT.

You have to use the I/O BIOS Block option. Executable Bit must be disabled or it will crash the moment XNU tries to say something. I assume I didn't need it before because the flashed Bios i had back then must have blocked that part so I wasn't aware (and it was in 2009 or something!). Drop the whole SSDT table, else crash acpi plattform.

For my CPU, Core2Quad Q8200, generating C and P-states didn't work, although Clover lists them with the right values, it only has 2 of each. Selecting the KernelPM patch enables it. No Null CPU needed. ACPI must be Patched. In regard to USB, it doesn't matter what is set in the Bios, I guess because the table gets dropped. Still not really happy with it (pain from the beginning with this board. I blame Asus.) Having the clock injected lets the System sleep, even in front of the installer. Wake up with power button all fine. But the USB won't work! Only selecting fix USB in the DSDT has USB working (sort of) but sleep and restart is now broken, I need to fix this. It must sleep else this thing uses way to much energy by todays standards.

Graphics is done with injecting nvidia, I only tested it with one Display but all outputs work (it should be able to do any 2 out of 3 if it is working right, I think it is)

Audio? Just use Voodoo. It is far superior to patching. It doesn't pop and it won't break. You even can adjust the amplifier. But the optical doesn't work, well that is a technology gone by anyway.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hey guys, I'm still on Mavericks with Clover rev 2236 (or something like that) and I decided to try installing El Capitan.

The first task obviously is to update Clover to a newer version. But this is where the pain already starts :-/ I went straight ahead to rev 3346 and all I get is an almost black screen with the exception of a single character _ (underscore) in the upper left corner (even before the clover boot menu comes up). Afterwards, all my Bios settings get corrupted. I tried to activate logging in config.plist but I don't get any log file under EFI/CLOVER/misc. In addition I tested a bunch of other revisions with the same behavior.

The newest version I could get to work, however, is revision 3185. This would at least give me support for Yosemite but still I'm far away from El Capitan. I already studied the changelog but I could not find an obvious reason for this behavior. Do you have any idea how to get newer versions to work?

The install options I used for clover:

Legacy boot with MBR (boot0ss)

BiosBlockIO for SATA drives

Update Feb 08

I got it working! My system now runs El Cap 10.11.3 with the "franken" method for Clover. I simply used the installer from latest working Clover (3185) and afterwards copied over the EFI Folder from rev 3346. This and some fine tuning on the config.plist (added the number of memory slots and modules inserted in SMBIOS section -> otherwise kernel panic!) allowed me to boot El Capitan. I'm pretty happy now and so far everything seems to work (although I haven't had much time for extensive testing). Oh and just bought a super cheap ssd (from sands, only 64GB) and built a FusionDrive. Definitely a nice upgrade for this old system :-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Chris hello I read your post and if you can tell me the method used for the installation of el capitan with clover? thank you.

For testing I first did an update directly from App Store (and it worked) but since I also wanted to build a fusion drive I went with a clean install afterwards :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

also just for the record or Google that is:

Installing Yosemite using Clover on P5N7A-VM with BIOS 519 and no external DSDT.

You have to use the I/O BIOS Block option. Executable Bit must be disabled or it will crash the moment XNU tries to say something. I assume I didn't need it before because the flashed Bios i had back then must have blocked that part so I wasn't aware (and it was in 2009 or something!). Drop the whole SSDT table, else crash acpi plattform.

Could you be more specific in how you managed to get clover booting? I don't understand what you disabled and where to disable this. Is it an option in the BIOS or is it a setting in clover?

Edit: ok it was a setting in clover. I managed to boot untill the message came with uptime in nanoseconds. I guess that's kernel panic. I try to set the memory slots in the config file of clover. I've put 2 x 2048 mb of ram in the yellow slots, does anyone know what number they are? I changed the numbers and now I don't even come in the boot screen anymore. Perhaps someone could upload their config.plist (or whole eci folder) with a working clover boot?

• 9 months later...

In case any1 is interested, I had a success installing Sierra on this board. Stock BIOS 519, no custom DSDT, Clover bootloader, vanilla System folder.

My rig: Core 2 Duo E7500, 4 Gb RAM, no external video, SATA disk 80 Gb, IDE DVD-RW drive, cheap CSR USB Bluetooth dongle.

Audio is working with Lilu and AppleALC and IDE DVD need ApplePCIIDE.kext from this post. Everything else is just Clover config.plist.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>ACPI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>ResetAddress</key>
		<string>0x64</string>
		<key>ResetValue</key>
		<string>0xFE</string>
		<key>DSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Debug</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Fixes</key>
			<dict>
				<key>AddDTGP_0001</key>
				<true/>
				<key>AddMCHC_0008</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FakeLPC_0020</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixAirport_4000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixDarwin_0002</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixDisplay_0100</key>
				<false/>
				<key>FixFirewire_0800</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixHDA_8000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixHPET_0010</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixIDE_0200</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixIPIC_0040</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixLAN_2000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixSATA_0400</key>
				<false/>
				<key>FixSBUS_0080</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixShutdown_0004</key>
				<false/>
				<key>FixUSB_1000</key>
				<false/>
				<key>NewWay_80000000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FIX_RTC_20000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FIX_TMR_40000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>AddIMEI_80000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FIX_INTELGFX_100000</key>
				<false/>
				<key>FIX_WAK_200000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>DeleteUnused_400000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FIX_ADP1_800000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>AddPNLF_1000000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FIX_S3D_2000000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FIX_ACST_4000000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>AddHDMI_8000000</key>
				<true/>
				<key>FixRegions_10000000</key>
				<true/>
			</dict>
			<key>Name</key>
			<string>DSDT.aml</string>
		</dict>
		<key>DropTables</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Signature</key>
				<string>DMAR</string>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Signature</key>
				<string>SSDT</string>
				<key>TableId</key>
				<string>CpuPm</string>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Signature</key>
				<string>SSDT</string>
				<key>TableId</key>
				<string>Cpu0Ist</string>
			</dict>
		</array>
		<key>HaltEnabler</key>
		<true/>
		<key>SSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Generate</key>
			<dict>
				<key>CStates</key>
				<true/>
				<key>PStates</key>
				<true/>
			</dict>
			<key>EnableC7</key>
			<false/>
			<key>EnableC6</key>
			<true/>
			<key>EnableC4</key>
			<false/>
			<key>EnableC2</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>Boot</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Arguments</key>
		<string>kext-dev-mode=1 -v</string>
		<key>DefaultVolume</key>
		<string>Disk</string>
		<key>Fast</key>
		<false/>
		<key>Legacy</key>
		<string>PBR</string>
		<key>Log</key>
		<false/>
		<key>Timeout</key>
		<integer>3</integer>
		<key>XMPDetection</key>
		<string>2</string>
	</dict>
	<key>Devices</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Audio</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Inject</key>
			<string>1</string>
			<key>ResetHDA</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
		<key>FakeID</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ATI</key>
			<string>0x0</string>
			<key>IntelGFX</key>
			<string>0x0</string>
			<key>LAN</key>
			<string>0x0</string>
			<key>NVidia</key>
			<string>0x0</string>
			<key>SATA</key>
			<string>0x0</string>
			<key>WIFI</key>
			<string>0x0</string>
			<key>XHCI</key>
			<string>0x0</string>
			<key>IMEI</key>
			<string>0x0</string>
		</dict>
		<key>Inject</key>
		<false/>
		<key>USB</key>
		<dict>
			<key>AddClockID</key>
			<false/>
			<key>FixOwnership</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Inject</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>DisableDrivers</key>
	<array>
		<string>Nothing</string>
	</array>
	<key>GUI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Hide</key>
		<array>
			<string>Windows</string>
			<string>BOOTX64.EFI</string>
		</array>
		<key>Language</key>
		<string>en:0</string>
		<key>Mouse</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Enabled</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Speed</key>
			<integer>8</integer>
		</dict>
		<key>Scan</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Entries</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Legacy</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Tool</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
		<key>TextOnly</key>
		<true/>
		<key>Theme</key>
		<string>metal</string>
	</dict>
	<key>Graphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Inject</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ATI</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Intel</key>
			<false/>
			<key>NVidia</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
		<key>PatchVBios</key>
		<true/>
	</dict>
	<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
	<dict>
		<key>AppleRTC</key>
		<true/>
		<key>AsusAICPUPM</key>
		<true/>
		<key>Debug</key>
		<false/>
		<key>KernelCpu</key>
		<false/>
		<key>KextsToPatch</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>External icons patch</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>RXh0ZXJuYWw=</data>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AppleAHCIPort</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>SW50ZXJuYWw=</data>
			</dict>
		</array>
	</dict>
	<key>RtVariables</key>
	<dict>
		<key>BooterConfig</key>
		<string>0x29</string>
		<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
		<string>0x67</string>
		<key>ROM</key>
		<string>UseMacAddr0</string>
		<key>LogEveryBoot</key>
		<string>10</string>
		<key>LogLineCount</key>
		<integer>3000</integer>
		<key>MountEFI</key>
		<false/>
	</dict>
	<key>SystemParameters</key>
	<dict>
		<key>InjectKexts</key>
		<string>Yes</string>
		<key>InjectSystemID</key>
		<true/>
	</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

post-140032-0-16458000-1505327757_thumb.png

post-140032-0-52734100-1505328056_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

In case any1 is interested, I had a success installing Sierra on this board. Stock BIOS 519, no custom DSDT, Clover bootloader, vanilla System folder.

My rig: Core 2 Duo E7500, 4 Gb RAM, no external video, SATA disk 80 Gb, IDE DVD-RW drive, cheap CSR USB Bluetooth dongle.

Audio is working with Lilu and AppleALC and IDE DVD need ApplePCIIDE.kext from this post. Everything else is just Clover config.plist.

Can you tell me the BIOS settings?

It's blinking an underscore in Clover r4268

(Sorry for my poor English...)