Asus P5N7A-VM

DiaboliK

1,296 posts in this topic

NEWBIE!

Hello to everyone. Right ok never really used a Mac before but from what I have used and seen of it its definitely worth the upgrade. I have the following hardware

Motherboard: Asus P5N7A-VM (stock bios, overclocked), GPU: Zotac Geforce GT 430, Processor: Pentium Dualcore E5200 2.50Ghz O/C 3.45Ghz, Ram: OCZ Platinum 4GB, HDD: 2TB (1.5TB, 500GB)

Will this work with the new Lion OS? (got it ready on ebay to buy)

I have read the install instructions provided at the beginning of this thread and feel it is something I can achieve. I am going to keep my Windows 7 (500GB HDD) just incase of problems and use another 500GB for Mac. Will it interfere with my overclock settings? Can I get all the hardware working?,

I know its so many questions but I would rather it be I try this afew times and get it perfect then come on here whining this don't work/that don't work.

Any input welcome!

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE!...

Ok have successfully installed Lion 10.7.2 via this method ... http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/10/uni...lion-using.html ... and even get internet functionatility, USB, etc straight away without issue. However it then saids I have to run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and select the DSDT for my board which is where I am having troubles. Do I require the DSDT for my dualcore?, what should I be doing to get it boot without the USB Lion install? I know this may sound silly to people but before attempting this I never had anything to do with a Mac but I am prepared to learn. What DSDT's do I need to install?

Please advise someone.

• 3 months later...

I'm having a real tough time getting 10.7.3 to work with this method: http://tonymacx86.bl...lion-using.html. The major issue is I can't get usb devices (mainly my keyboard or mouse) to work during installation or after boot. One time, and I don't know how, I managed to get my mouse but not my keyboard to work during installation, but after I booted a keyboard was not detected so I could not progress. In subsequent attempts to reinstall, I couldn't get the keyboard or mouse to work. I've tried setting the USB to either high speed and full speed in the BIOS. On top of that, if I try to type "-v" before installation, I usually get "still waiting for root device." This happens with both the red and black SATA ports (although the one time I did get the OS to install it was on a red SATA port).

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same issue where keyboard/mouse didn't work. Today, I replaced the IOUSBFamily.kext and IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext on the USB drive (using the versions from 10.6.2, I think). The System folder is hidden on the USB so you need to either use Terminal or some other tool to show invisible files (sorry if this is obvious). Once I copied the older kexts, I used the following Terminal commands for good measure:

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext

This allowed my keyboard to work (not the mouse). So I had to format the hard drive ahead of time and then just navigate the installation procedures using the keyboard only (tab, spacebar, and enter).

Then I was able to boot into the new drive (10.7.3) via ######. The vanilla installation seems OK but obviously graphics/sound are a problem. I literally just started troubleshooting tonight and my first few attempts at using ###### to install the DSDT I had for my 10.5.7 installation are failing miserably (black screen after boot, sometimes can still VNC but sometimes cannot). I'll try Ufdah's suggestion above. There's also another possible solution here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=270123&st=0&p=1759594entry1759594

But I think using ###### to install the DSDT is adding files (such as fakesmc) or patching things that are breaking the install. I haven't narrowed it down yet. I may need to do things more manually (which is a stretch for me since I barely know what I'm doing and haven't messed with my Hackintosh installation in about 2 years or whenever 10.5.7 was released; I never could get 10.6.x working well with this mobo). I've now botched this Lion install pretty bad so I just reinstalled, cloned, and will mess around again tomorrow.

Sorry - I know this isn't very helpful but I'm just waiting for my clone to finish... Will maybe post again tomorrow (I leave town so maybe won't try again until next week).

BTW, I'm using BIOS 519.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just updated my P5n7a-vm to Lion 10.7.3.

I created a [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] USB key using Tony Mac's method. However when I tried to boot from the resulting USB key I got to the first screen and

then could proceed no further as both the USB keyboard and mouse had frozen.

A bit of googling revealed the following :

"Before you use the installer on your USB key, run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] Lion Edition and point it at your USB drive.Under the Kexts and Bootloaders

header, drop down to the Miscellaneous section and tick "IOUSBFamily rollback". Run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and viola! your usb keyboard and mouse work on

the installer and in the resulting lion installation!"

Having completed the install to a fresh partition from the USB key, I then went into [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and installed the following kexts : EvOreboot,

Fakesmc, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector and JMicron36x.

Further googling (Realtek ALC1200 ICH10 working kext) led me to the ALC1200 kext which I installed with the help of Kext Utility.Sound now

works.

So, no DSDT but I still have the following problems :

It doesn't sleep properly, screen goes off but fans still spinning, and it will not wake (this is no problem for me).

I can only get it to boot in 32 bit mode - if I try 64 it panics.

Hope this helps someone,

NWJ

• 2 weeks later...

I've been following this thread since about the end of 2009. I've had a working SL install upgraded to 10.6.8 on a P5N7A-VM/Q9650 with the onboard Nvidia 9300, mostly (but not completely) vanilla with most everything working perfectly. I was never able to have Legacy USB enabled. I used a older 2.0 RC4 Chameleon with a custom DSTD.aml for this board. I also use the EFI partition for the Extra folder rather than the root of the main partition.

I made a CCC backup of my SL install and decided to take the plunge to Lion, or at least try. Since this board is old now, and much less supported than the Gigabyte boards, I figure I would have my work cut out for me, and I did... but I was able to get it working on 10.7.3.

I used my existing DSTD and changed only the NVidia setting to "Parent" to get around the black screen on the 10.7.2 that I started with. I used the ###### app to make a USB stick from the App Store download.

Based on the advice I seen in the forums, I used the IOUSBFamily and IOUSBMassStorage kexts from 10.6.8 after not having a working KB/Mouse. The only other major issues I had post install were Audio and Wake from Sleep.

Audio has been a real treat... after hours (literally) over three days of trying every AppleHDA I could find with or without HDAEnabler, VoodooHDA, LegacyAppleHDA.. and patching/building my own with a HDA Wizard tool.. I finally have some sound output using an old 10.6.3 Kext with HDAEnabler.

On my SL install, I had a LegacyAppleHDA kext in my Extra folder that seemed to somehow work in conjunction with an AppleHDA kext under S/L/E. It doesn't make sense to me, but changing or removing either one would result in no sound or volume control. I have the HDEF patch in the DSDT, and never used the HDAEnabler until now.

My audio has a background sound that seems to be picking up interference from events on the screen. You can hear network traffic, moving the mouse over the dock, etc as a static in the speakers. It's not very loud and is not present over top of music, etc... but it's annoying none the less.

My sleep works as far as sleeping, but wake up will power on the system for a few seconds and shut it back down. I can't find anything in any logs. Not suffering any CMOS resets or anything like that. On SL, my sleep and wakeup worked good, even reconnecting my USB devices without any errors. (which took me a while to perfect)

Anyway, I'm hoping to find someone here who has a AppleHDA.kext that is patched for HDEF on the P5N7A-VM being used with Lion that's not dependant on the HDAEnabler. I've tried everything that I can find, and I haven't hit the right combination. Many show a DSDT patch different than my DSDT but any attempt to modify mine to match (even while substituting in the correct address space) seems to cause a KP. Everything I find seems to be created for the Asus P5Q that also used the ALC1200 audio.

Even people with Apple MACs are having wake from sleep issues with 10.7.3 so I'm not sure where to begin with that.

I'm by no means an expert at this, I just succeed by trial and error and some educated guessing.

I am more than willing to help anyone with this motherboard who are having other issues... just hoping someone can provide me with a magic AppleHDA.kext that will work in Lion properly without the HDAEnabler.

If anyone has sleep/wake working, I'd love to hear about your setup as well.

Thanks in advance!

My sleep works as far as sleeping, but wake up will power on the system for a few seconds and shut it back down. I can't find anything in any logs. Not suffering any CMOS resets or anything like that.

Try adding darkwake=0 to boot.plist

Didn't make a difference, but thank you. The system turns on, CD drive blinks, hard drive light comes on for a few seconds, and then the computer resumes sleep.

No way out of the loop other than the reset key or hard powering off and then turning it back on.

• 6 months later...

Has anybody been able to do a clean install of Mountain Lion 10.8.2 on the P5N7A-VM with integrated graphics? I can install using "PCIRootUID=0" kernel flag easily! Sound is the only thing that does not work. When I run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and use ALC888 audio and reboot to hard drive using "PCIRootUID=0" flag again, MAC os loads up but I have a blank screen. I am sure it is at the login screen because when I press a key on keyboard I hear sounds coming from speaker.

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to get mine running 10.8.2!*This required using an ATI PCI-e video card and disabling the onboard iGPU for the 10.7 -> 10.8 upgrade only*(Anything that loads the NVDA50HAL causes the blank screen issues)Requirements:

• Fair understanding of hackintosh process and debugging if things go {censored} up
  • Working 10.7.x installation with DSDT from ufdah or others in this thread that works w/ your BIOS revision
  • Non-nVidia pci-e video card for use during upgrade (I used an ATI Radeon HD 2400XT)
  • BIOS set to disable iGPU if external pci-e card in place

Upgrade Steps:

• ​MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR MACHINE! This is an upgrade, but it may not go as planned, YMMV, IANAL, etc. I do not take responsibility if you nuke your machine / install!

• Shutdown, and attach your ###### install media to system, and install external pci-e video card
  • boot up attached to new video card and configure your BIOS to set your new boot device disable the iGPU if external pci-e in place. GPU settings found @

Advanced -> MCP7A Configuration -> iGPU and Ext-VGA Selection

• Reboot
  • You should be presented with the ###### bootloader at this point.
  • Enter the following arguments into the bootloader

-v debug=0x100 GraphicsEnabler=Y npci=0x2000

• This should let you boot into the mountain lion installer, and you can proceed to run through the normal ML install process, which will upgrade your existing install
  • When the upgrade completes, your machine will reboot to the ###### bootloader. This time, use the arrow keys to select the disk of your OS installation, and then enter the same arguments as in step 6
  • This should get you all the way to the setup screen for 10.8, which you can proceed through until you get to the desktop. See the post-upgrade steps for process of getting kexts, and updated to 10.8.2

Post-Upgrade Steps:

• Update Security Preferences in System Preferences -> Security to Allow applications downloaded from Anywhere (###### is not signed)
  • Open ######, and select the following:
    • Drivers & Bootloaders
      • Drivers
      • Miscellaneous
      • EvOreboot
      • FakeSMC
      • FakeSMC Plugins
    • Bootloaders
      • Chimera v1.11.1 r1394
  • Customization
    • Boot Options
      • GraphicsEnabler=No
      • Use KernelCache
    • System Definitions
      • Mac mini
    • Themes
      • Chameleon 2.0 Default

[*]Install, then before rebooting, ensure the npci flag is set in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist

-v debug=0x100 GraphicsEnabler=No npci=0x2000 [*]If you have any Extensions sitting around in /Extra/Extensions, you'll need to remove them or migrate them to /System/Library/Extensions as necessary. The only one I've moved is the old AppleHDA patched for this motherboard. [*]You may now use software update to install the latest updates, and you should have no issues.

That's my quick guide. If you have issues, post them up here, and I'll try to help out.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see any options regarding IGPU in your post-upgrade steps. How it suppose to resolve black screen issue?

I've actually tried this on a fresh ML installation and still got black screen. Please, clarify.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see any options regarding IGPU in your post-upgrade steps. How it suppose to resolve black screen issue?

I've actually tried this on a fresh ML installation and still got black screen. Please, clarify.

post-upgrade, when you remove your pci-e video card, the motherboard defaults back to iGPU w/ auto-select of RAM size

Oddly GraphicsEnabler=No with latest Chimera from ###### is what is allowing this to boot for me.

My bad. Totally missed the DSDT part :blush: . The key to the Black Screen problem is a simple DSDT fix and if I wasn't that lazy I've read the previous page of this topic earlier. I was using dgsga's modded BIOS all these years and had forgot that there may be some problems with it. I took DSDT from this post (thanks chris_rock) and all worked like a charm!

On a side note: you do not need any of unwelcomed in this forum fancy "beast" tools to get this board up&running. Just standard vanilla install, Chameleon boot loader, before mentioned DSDT and GraphicEnabler=No option in org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

• 2 months later...

So has anyone gotten sleep to work with Mountain Lion and this motherboard? I have everything else working perfectly, but getting it to sleep is driving me nuts. Whenever I manually select sleep it shuts off the monitor and the hard drives, but fans keep going at full speed and I have to hard reset the computer to get it back to life.

• 1 month later...

• Fair understanding of hackintosh process and debugging if things go {censored} up
  • Working 10.7.x installation with DSDT from ufdah or others in this thread that works w/ your BIOS revision
  • Uni BeastML installer prepped onto media of choice (USB, HDD, etc -- I put Uni BeastML on an SSD for quick installs)
  • Non-nVidia pci-e video card for use during upgrade (I used an ATI Radeon HD 2400XT)
  • BIOS set to disable iGPU if external pci-e card in place

Thanks Cleric. Can you tell me what BIOS version you have and whether or not it is modded?

• 4 months later...

I'm doing a Clone of another MCP79a chipset.. where I successfully set up a Mountain Lion with internal Geforce 9300 GPU here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/163938-guidestudio-zotac-geforce-9300-wifi-ddr2-and-ddr3-snow-ml-test-1082-sleep-795/?p=1142695

and where I've sleep and wake perfect.

I don't wnat to walk the standard path of a setup from scratch.. because it so long.. and boring. And I see your posts.. there' a lot of changes.

I prefer to clone and apply that DSDT. So I've few days before vacation.. it's a good time to stay in the basement..

Ok here you are ML 10.8.2 99% mac up and running

(audio not yet)

important are:

Extra folder: use exactly boot.plist and smbios.plist 

This is NOT mac mini! look to official Apple Store and compare our HW to those.

With my attachment you can SLEEP AND WAKE

this has SSDT and DSDT table modded as standard .. with the good setup to have sleep

S/L/E folder: leave Original invidia kext but ADD mine. You have QE/CI full video with internal CARD. Also the rtc/AICPM fixed for our Mobo.

but ALSO appleintel GPU powermanagement to use well the internal GPU

I left my boot (root folder) binary.. because I tested recend enoch boot.. but those fails!

ATTENTION:

LOOK inside EXTRA/MODULES :

NEVER USE ALL THE MODULES.. use mine or leave exactly what I PUT and remove others.. otherwise -> KP or reboot

bye

nice vacations

ugo

p5n7a-vm ML.zip

• Like 2

• 3 months later...