Asus P5N7A-VM

DiaboliK

1,296 posts in this topic

If switching cables is what it takes, I'll do it !

5850 doesn't work in osx86 :-(

So basically, what I want is to use the 5850 for Win7 and the 9300m for osx86.

Can I make 9300m primary GPU for osx86 and 5850 primary GPU for Win7 ? Has someone done that yet (I think so) ?

Yes this is very possible.

• 3 weeks later...
You're doing it wrong...

you are a real hero, aren't you

i havn't checked ths thread for a while, but you have written nothing new but telling about a some wonderful dsdt wich isn't public an therefore worthless, no matter what.

usb issues resolved, {censored}, downgrading to 10.6.2 kest does absolutly nothing, usb devces still will be ejected when put to sleep and there is no working hack for that in the {censored} blog that is just a random compilation from what is written here already.

the modded bios is stil the slickest solution, there is no way around reboot beeing broken by using the sleep function beforehand. even your blog states that. and this is what have lead to the questions you have been asked. it was thought that you have an solution, but you haven't.

1. Would you still recommend that board for a hackintosh ? I mean, you guys seem to have some problems running it compatible at 100% or is that jus a false impression ?

Thanks for reading :blink:

At this point I would give a strong recommendation to look into another motherboard.

When it first came out there was a lot of work and community support. However this board hasn't seen perfect compatibility, and the community seems to have dried up due to the extended difficulties.

The above exchange (or lack of exchange) should be warning enough.

Good luck!

@eject

Calm down you freak.

1st of all it's not my blog.

2nd of all you could (any of you) easily send signal64 a PM and ask him to share it...

{censored} none of you even asked me to ask him for you...way to think outside the box.

3rd you're a hero yourself as you posted quite often in this thread.

I've never said I had a perfect dsdt but more work is being done on this board to solve some issues.

I can tell you that modded bioses and disabling ethernet may solve some problems but create others...

Who cares who wins this argument this thread is a huge cluster-f*ck anyway and always has been...always will be...

{censored} none of you even asked me to ask him for you...way to think outside the box.

oh, you hoped for that? like an attention whore? now i'm sorry i gave you any

if someone wants to share something he is always welcome and maybe he get's a thx in revenge maybe not. but more smply can't be expected, no one will beg for something

a modded bios or a modded dsdt, thats the same, the bios is just less hasle. and your right, disabeling ethernet is no solution. there is just one thing that works. buy a cheap usb controller for about 5€, use that for tv sticks an other things that should not get ejected while the system sleeps. and avoid shutting down, just always use sleep.

not a real solution but gets rid of all anoyances as long as you are not restarting

• 3 weeks later...
@eject - USB Fix for detection after sleep...I think this is what you're looking for. It works for me. Now no issues with USB after sleeping (but still with BIOS reset).

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1442649

Hello kramer, and thanx for the input.

Things are getting a little weird here, i just wish everybody calmed down.

I'm no expert and never got into doing anything but download and for that i'm thankfull.

i'm using a modded bios, and reading follow ups to that post, i see there are problems with that.

I've also read that sleepenabler won't work.

I'm running .2 at the moment.

What would anybody recomend as to have that last feature??

The usb pci does not sound that bad.

any new ideas?

Thanx everybody!

Well, it seems as if anyone with information regarding this board is unwilling to help regarding continual problems. So that sucks.

I pm'd signal64, who said

"Do not apply any "fixes" floating around for HPET, TIMR, or RTC to the P5N7A-VM, they have always worked out of box. Leave them as is when you make a DSDT dump.

When you try to replace them with the generic or "fixed" versions you end up with sleep, cmos reset, power off issues, etc. "

Great! Or so I thought. So again I dove into the DSDT, trying both methods of extracting DSDT (through win7 with everest and through BIOS extraction). Using Winmerge to look at the differences between what I had been using and both stock versions, I found VERY LITTLE different, other than the mods listed on the first page, with the exception of Video injection, audio injection, USB fixes. The one area I did think it would matter was under IPIC, where there was an additional IRQNoFlags, but that didn't do a darn thing....

So where are we then...

Restart - For me, only works with EvoReboot or OHR. RestartFix on AbereLN 1.1.9 and RC5 does NOTHING.

Shutdown - Works out of the box.

Sleep - Sleeps, but CMOS reset on next start (doesn't matter if the machine is restarted or shutdown and then restarted)

Everyone else works...but for me those are big things that OTHER PEOPLE CLAIMED TO HAVE FIXED and won't help those of us who still have these problems.

*Sigh*

I've gotta get back to studying.

Keep the dream alive.

So where are we then...

Restart - For me, only works with EvoReboot or OHR. RestartFix on AbereLN 1.1.9 and RC5 does NOTHING.

Shutdown - Works out of the box.

Sleep - Sleeps, but CMOS reset on next start (doesn't matter if the machine is restarted or shutdown and then restarted)

I could live with this. Any chance you could produce an upto date howto for SL (with provisions for quad core cpus)?

Thanks.

I could live with this. Any chance you could produce an upto date howto for SL (with provisions for quad core cpus)?

Thanks.

And 64-bit too!

Well, it seems as if anyone with information regarding this board is unwilling to help regarding continual problems. So that sucks.

Everyone else works...but for me those are big things that OTHER PEOPLE CLAIMED TO HAVE FIXED and won't help those of us who still have these problems.

*Sigh*

The information is all there, it's just a large thread and it's been said a few times already. You don't need any HPET or RTC fixes if you add "Darwin" to method OSYS:

before:

If (_OSI ("Windows 2006")) {
		Store (0x15, Local0)
	}

after:

If (_OSI ("Windows 2006"))
	{
		Store (0x15, Local0)
	}

If (_OSI ("Darwin"))
	{
		Store (0x15, Local0)
	}

Restart needs the restart fix (Cham RC5pre works great here), shutdown and sleep work. No cmos reset issues here. For more details, see the original post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1120201

The one thing I don't have working is USB drives being forcefully ejected after sleep. You posted a fix, but it doesn't work for me. Furthermore, the device address from the fix you posted (Name (_ADR, 0x001D0007)) does not even match the one in the original DSDT (Name (_ADR, 0x00040001)). So either, the EHC part is just taken out and the new code does not do anything, thereby solving the problem, or the original dsdt had the wrong address. In any case, it does not seem to work for me. Does it work for anyone else?

Well, let me be the first to say...

THANK YOU Mr. Frodo...kenny

Having been through this thread countless numbers of times, I must have blown past the post you linked to. I know some of the changes have not been made in my DSDT from scratch, I will try them tonight or in the near future.

I think we need to start a new thread on this board, specifically in the SL sub-forum, with someone who can / will update the first post as new advances are made. Otherwise, things get lost in 29+ pages of a thread. Not only that, but I know there was and still is confusion with the blending of this thread between SL and Leo.

Will report back later...

Thanks again. and again. and again.

Edit: I'll have to check on the USB modification, I think I just added the Apple ID stuff, and didn't change the addresses, as you astutely noted.

Well, here's where I stand so far...

Successful in creating my own DSDT from scratch.

Sleep works, but still with CMOS reset, still with USB not detected on wake. Still requires Evoreboot for restarting, regardless of what version of RC5 I'm running (tried 273 and 284/285)

Find my dsdt attached below for viewing and/or comments...

Can anyone with a working sleep (No CMOS reset) use winmerge or a like program to find any major differences? Thanks...

It's close..I can almost taste it!

Mod6.dsl.zip

Ok, figured it out...when "Wake for Ethernet network access" is selected under System prefs --> Energy Saver, when sleeping, it writes something to the NVRAM, causing corruption and thus..>CMOS reset.

Unticking it results in...are you ready...Full active and working sleep with USB recognized upon wake! Weeeeee!

After some additional investigation, this same issue was driving THe KiNG insane on the Zotac IONITX board as seen here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...516&st=148#

So alas, it's all about one little checkmark.

I've tried enabling Wake on Lan in BIOS and checking to see if there is any difference in the DSDT, which there isn't....So i'm not sure why it's happening or how to fix it. More investigation is needed.

Cheers! YAY!

Unticking it results in...are you ready...Full active and working sleep with USB recognized upon wake! Weeeeee!

is this combined with anything else?

since I always tick this off because i have no use for it

if i compile your dsl there are other strange problems then before.

i have an usb hub in the usb ports next to the ps/2 port.

neither the bluetooth dongle in it will work nor will i get signal on my cinergy tv box (although the hub and both devices show up in system profiler) if bootet up with that dsdt.

the first couple times i thought there was something else wrong, but it only happens with that dsdt. so still no usb fix for me

I think that's your problem...the hub. Try it with the individual components plugged directly to the USB sockets on the motherboard

the components do work in the hub without that dsdt. if the usb would work like it should there would be no problem.

On a side note...does anyone have this motherboard running with an add-on Video card? I cant get it to sucessfully boot with my 9800GT installed. Tried Graphicsenabler, tried injecting with DSDT.

Just can't get it. Thanks

Edit:

Strange that I can't get to the Desktop with my DVI to HDMI cable (DVI side is DVI-D dual link), but my DVI-DVI cable (DVI-D single link) works fine. (see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface ) Weird...