Asus P5N7A-VM

DiaboliK

1,296 posts in this topic

Oh well - change of plans - the Asus P5N7A-VM is out of stock and with the exchange rate for the pound sterling and euro so low it will probably be a while before I can attempt this project - but attempt it I will. Meanwhile good luck to all...

Keyboard re-init after sleep? That's a new one.

I've been using a crummy belkin usb that wasn't recognized on install (with the late 2008 mb aluminum unibody restore dvd with stock untainted apple kexts - enough said if your using anything else) and haven't had that issue.

Signal64,

Where are you looking to solve this shared memory issue? Has anyone tried to manually set the iGPU Frame Buffer Control to 256M rather than "Auto"? Would this give the OS the impression that 256M is all it has to use, no more, no less?

I would suspect something in the apple drivers if it was the same on other mcp79/730i boards, but it isn't so far.

I've been trying to answer my question on where it get's set and looking at updating the vga bios portion with newer versions but haven't been sucessful so far. I've also tried numerous combinations of the various Windows vs. Non-Windows settings in DSDT and they all do the same with the memory allocation (and breaks sleep altogether). Somebody else wanna help chase those parts down please do.

Hard setting the memory to 64 - 512 unfortunately does not make a difference and in reality it shouldn't as that's shared memory for graphics, not necessarily where the displays are being mapped to.

A chunk of memory is being used to put what you see on your display, and the rest for the fancy shtuff like 3d rendering etc.

It's the starting address we are worried about for the display memory and no matter how much memory you allocate in bios it always starts off at 0xc0000000 with 2Gig, 4Gig, or 8Gig. For 2Gig on the macbook and asus p5n7a-vm, it'll start off at 0xc0000000 with 2gig in, with 4gig in it bumps up to 0xe0000000.

My DFI 9400 arrives tomorrow so it'll be interesting to see what happens with video as well as sleep as it has an award bios as well.

BTW - Sound works after sleep on the ASUS as well :)

Should have a sound kext for that soon.

I used diabolik's DSDT for my P5N7A

when i used another one, i didn't boot :(

but that wouldn't explain why i'm only reading 2 cores instead of 4, unless something in the DSDT wasn't set properly

and i just installed some 2x2GB sticks for the system, so it's at 4GB, with 512MB dedicated to VRAM

bootup is now nearly instantaneous!

nvkush and other's still result in software video

Hello people!

Today I bought the Asus P5N7A-VM. I followed the same install method that used with Gigabyte, with only one change: DSDT by Diabolik where in Gigabyte I used Signal64 version.

When trying to boot from my external usb drive (2 partitions, in the first is OS X installed with EFI partition, decrypter, smbiosenabler, disabler and dsdt) in verbose mode, it stop after line "JMicronATA Ultra mode 5" and start to write, very very slowly, the next one: "Still waiting for root device", more or less one time for minute.

I have bios version 404 and set AHCI in bios. Someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Hello people!

Today I bought the Asus P5N7A-VM. I followed the same install method that used with Gigabyte, with only one change: DSDT by Diabolik where in Gigabyte I used Signal64 version.

When trying to boot from my external usb drive (2 partitions, in the first is OS X installed with EFI partition, decrypter, smbiosenabler, disabler and dsdt) in verbose mode, it stop after line "JMicronATA Ultra mode 5" and start to write, very very slowly, the next one: "Still waiting for root device", more or less one time for minute.

I have bios version 404 and set AHCI in bios. Someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Diabolik Dsdt.aml is for Asus board only and signal 64 is for gigabyte.

So use the one from diabolik !

Good day

Bob

Diabolik Dsdt.aml is for Asus board only and signal 64 is for gigabyte.

So use the one from diabolik !

Good day

Bob

His post said that he did use the Diabolik DSDT .

Lokoh - what kind of USB are you trying to boot. Can you try to install direct from a SATA drive.

i managed to get iDeneb 10.5.5 to boot and install successfully with my P5N7A

from there i installed the NoPE disk to another SATA drive

i had AHCI enabled, selected 9.4.0 kernel and ACPI fix

once i installed NoPE 10.5.5, it recognized mostly everything except sound and video.

I tried to install my 7800GT card using nvkush, nvdarwin, and even nvinject, but still no CI/QE

it worked fine on my last hack, so i'm still not sure what the issue is

(and my q6600 is still only showing 2 cores ;) )

Hello again :angel:

Good and bad news. First the good:

I followed martin15s advice and installed it on internal SATA drive, and it worked (only if AHCI was ON in BIOS). Install method was as with Gigabyte: Macbook Unibody Disk + Disabler + Decrypter + AppleSMBios + EFI v9 + NVKush.

The result: All working good (that include CI/QE OK) except sound, which shows 0 devices in "output" zone of audio - system preferences. If you're installing NVKush I don't know why it don't work for you, anitanium :S (It worked for my in the Gigabyte and now in the Asus board. I have to try dual-screen yet in Asus).

And now the bad thing: Am I getting memory crash problems with 4 GB in the Asus board as well??? I run the memtest program and after a few seconds I get a kernel panic which dim the screen and "invite" me to restart my computer. If I only install 2 GB, it doesn't happen. I have 2 modules of 2 GB Kingstom DDR2 800 Mhz Hyper X. Why all of you with Asus don't have problem with +2GB on this board and I'm having? I tried to set iGPU Frame buffer to auto and manual 256 MB and no difference. Please help!!

Well, a last question for Asus's owners: What audio kexts have you installed to get sound? I need optical out working. (Asus onboard audio is Realtek ALC1200, NOT ALC889A like Gigabyte, so I'm guessing I can't use the same kexts as with Giga board).

And now the bad thing: Am I getting memory crash problems with 4 GB in the Asus board as well??? I run the memtest program and after a few seconds I get a kernel panic which dim the screen and "invite" me to restart my computer. If I only install 2 GB, it doesn't happen. I have 2 modules of 2 GB Kingstom DDR2 800 Mhz Hyper X. Why all of you with Asus don't have problem with +2GB on this board and I'm having? I tried to set iGPU Frame buffer to auto and manual 256 MB and no difference. Please help!!

I know you said you are using Kingston memory, but are you absolutely positive that the type you purchased is on the qualified vendor list for the Asus board? List is attached. Also it sounds like your issue is different from the earlier ones posted on this thread. The 2+ GB issue with the Gigabyte board actually causes the display to become corrupted as a result of the OS using the video card's memory. If you have a crystal clear picture (even if it is the kernel panic screen), then I would say that your video memory is still intact. Have you checked the console to see if you have any strange error's that might indicate a different problem?

QVL_DDR2_667_and_800.pdf

anitanium - can you let me know your bios settings? - I selected selected 9.4.0 kernel and ACPI fix in iDeneb options - I still cant boot into it

thanks!

i managed to get iDeneb 10.5.5 to boot and install successfully with my P5N7A

from there i installed the NoPE disk to another SATA drive

i had AHCI enabled, selected 9.4.0 kernel and ACPI fix

once i installed NoPE 10.5.5, it recognized mostly everything except sound and video.

I tried to install my 7800GT card using nvkush, nvdarwin, and even nvinject, but still no CI/QE

it worked fine on my last hack, so i'm still not sure what the issue is

(and my q6600 is still only showing 2 cores :( )

Hello again :(

Good and bad news. First the good:

I followed martin15s advice and installed it on internal SATA drive, and it worked (only if AHCI was ON in BIOS). Install method was as with Gigabyte: Macbook Unibody Disk + Disabler + Decrypter + AppleSMBios + EFI v9 + NVKush.

The result: All working good (that include CI/QE OK) except sound, which shows 0 devices in "output" zone of audio - system preferences. If you're installing NVKush I don't know why it don't work for you, anitanium :S (It worked for my in the Gigabyte and now in the Asus board. I have to try dual-screen yet in Asus).

Well, a last question for Asus's owners: What audio kexts have you installed to get sound? I need optical out working. (Asus onboard audio is Realtek ALC1200, NOT ALC889A like Gigabyte, so I'm guessing I can't use the same kexts as with Giga board).

Try this link for sound -http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=112033&st=100&p=827112entry827112 - have not tried it but searching through the forums this might help - another link ....http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=38324

Look for P45audio.zip or ALC1200.zip......keep us posted

Edit ---for memory these are the 2gig modules from the compatibility list ___DDR2 800 2G Kingston KVR800D2N5/2G N/A Elpida DS E1108ACBG-8E-E ‧ ‧ ‧

DDR2 800 2G Kingston KHX6400D2/2G N/A Kingston DS Heat-Sink Package ‧ ‧

If you have a crystal clear picture (even if it is the kernel panic screen), then I would say that your video memory is still intact. Have you checked the console to see if you have any strange error's that might indicate a different problem?

Yeah, I have a crystal clear picture even when kernel panic occurs. How can I see the console in that situation??

Try this link for sound -http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=112033&st=100&p=827112entry827112 - have not tried it but searching through the forums this might help - another link ....http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=38324

Look for P45audio.zip or ALC1200.zip......keep us posted

Edit ---for memory these are the 2gig modules from the compatibility list ___DDR2 800 2G Kingston KVR800D2N5/2G N/A Elpida DS E1108ACBG-8E-E ‧ ‧ ‧

DDR2 800 2G Kingston KHX6400D2/2G N/A Kingston DS Heat-Sink Package ‧ ‧

None Kexts for audio works :wacko: (nothing shown in output audio device). And my memorys are these: DDR2 800 2G Kingston KHX6400D2/2G, so are compatible.

I'm desperate with the audio... from what I had read, I think that I have to modify AppleHDA and ACLInjector to add my Vendor an Product ID. The problems are:

1) I know that have to edit Info.plist with PropertyPlistEditor, but don't know where to enter values.

2) In about this mac - more info - audio, I only get this:

"Intel High Definition Sound:

ID: 0x104382FE"

And when I launch DPCIManager or OSXTools it tell me almost everything as "Unknown".

What can I do? No one have this board with optical sound working or can guide me to do the modifications? :S

EDIT:

Using windows I get that values: Vendor: 10EC, Device: 0888

I'm following this guide for modify AppleHDA and ACLinjector from p45audio.zip, but nothing for now. Someone can help?

EDIT 2:

I'm following this steps, so in ACLinjector.kext I add the value "pci10EC,0888" and in AppleHDA I add the value "0x088810EC". Install that kexts with Universal OSx86 Installer and restart. And NOTHING !!!!!!. :rolleyes:

the only fix for sound i've found is using azalia kext and adding the devID to the list

it works, but only 2ch

but better than no sound

Lokoh,

and i have no idea why NVkush or anything else doesn't work on my system

maybe you can tell me your bios settings for the igpu

i upgraded to the 407 bios too

(and my q6600 is still only showing 2 cores :) )

my dsdt only has set for 2 cpus :

add in these the the dsdt and u be set :

Processor (CPU3, 0x03, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (CPU4, 0x04, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

-D-

my dsdt only has set for 2 cpus :

add in these the the dsdt and u be set :

Processor (CPU3, 0x03, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (CPU4, 0x04, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

-D-

thanks a lot Diabolik!

now it's showing 4 cores in sys profile and activity monitor

now if only i could solve a problem like video

*UPDATE*

I found out that the Geforce.kext was causing all the problems.

I modified the info.plist to include my devID for the 7800

also set NVDANV40HAL.kext and NVDAResman.kext with the devID

installed NVDarwin (NVinject)

hardware acceleration is now enabled!!

i wanted to get it working with nvkush, but for now this will work for now

now i'll try it without the 7800GT and see if it still works

Simple, reboot and then open Console.app. Read through the system logs up until your kernel panic.

OK, I'll try later to see what happen. I really don't know if my system crash on the long run with 4 GB, but memtest for sure crash it. Did you tried memtest on your system to see what happen, Diabolik? Maybe it's just a problem with that app and nothing happens with normal use.

the only fix for sound i've found is using azalia kext and adding the devID to the list

it works, but only 2ch

but better than no sound

Lokoh,

and i have no idea why NVkush or anything else doesn't work on my system

maybe you can tell me your bios settings for the igpu

i upgraded to the 407 bios too

I see that you've resolved your problem with NVDarwin, but anyway in a matter of seconds I'll show you my iGPU config in the bios so you can compare.

-------

Edit: My MCP7A Chipset Configuration

Hybrid SLI support: Disabled

Primary Graphics Adapter: PCIE VGA Card Firs

iGPU and Ext-VGA Selection: Disable iGPU if Ex

iGPU Frame Buffer Detect: Auto

iGPU Frame Buffer Size: 256 MB

By the way, I'm only running with integrated 9300 graphics.

-------

Please, could you upload your sound kexts so I can try if it work on my mobo aswell? And what should I delete when install it?

For the sound problems when you install the P45 "fix" have you first done this -

"First remove AppleHDA.kext, ALCinject.kext and Azaliaaudio.kext that are there in the extention folder and then install the driver."

Yes, I did. I think that problem is p45audio don't have the device id of Asus Board ALC1200 in the Kext and that's why don't recognise.

Hi,

I like to buy one of these mobo's.

Gigabyte or Asus.

The Gigabyte has the RAM und sleep issue's.

The Asus seems to be ok.

So, it look's like DiaboliK has everything up and running, even sleep and sound.

DiaboliK could you please so kind and give us a hint?

Thanks for all the time you spend on this.

From my experience, Asus will give you less problems, except for audio. I can't get audio working, neither two channels or optical sound.

Gigabyte will give you sleep problems and memory corruption with more than 2 GB, but you install sound in a matter of seconds.

So it's seem that there're no perfect option right now.

Signal64 and Diabolik got audio working in Asus as anitanium, but I don't know if simple 2 channels or optical sound aswell.

If I could get working optical audio in Asus, it would be my perfect mobo...

Help B) Ok so maybe my eyes are going and I missed something.... I got the unibody 10.5.5 restore installed - installed bootloader, Dsdt on root, reboot to new drive and get Couldnt get HPET panic - I know it is something simple I'm missing - to much reading :D