RoberT_XeS

Installed Mac OS X Retail Successfully  

736 members have voted

1. 1. Were you able to install Mac OS X Retail Successfully

• Yes
    • No

868 posts in this topic

Hello

I've got it working on my asus p5q pro. I'm using the original osx now.

Currently it is booting up from the usb device. But I want it to boot from the 1gb fat 32 partition that I had created during the start of the installation.

Can you tell me how I would go about doing this or point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Follow Step 11 from this post

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1022273

Thank you very much for your fast reply, Robert. Now I'm trying your steps religiously (I previously used a chameleon for booting that's why I guess it didn't work before).

Sorry but I hate to ask this, should I install Win XP first or Vista before partitioning the HardDrive or I partitioned it first into 5 drives? I want to install Win XP, Windows7, and OS X retail. Please tell me if I'm on the right way or not. I will partitioned it first using GParted into 5 drives. One is for the booting hd (FAT32), 2nd is for the WinXP (NTFS), 3rd is Win7(NTFS), 4th is for Kalyway (HFS), and lastly for Retail OSX image(HFS).

Also, could I format the Retail OSX image partitioned after I successfully convert the Kalyway to Retail Leo so I can have exta space?

I hope my questions won't ruin your day.

Thank you again and more power to you!

Read Step 7 Carefully...

1. The only reason why iDeneb / iATKOS or any other distros is to restore the Mac OS X Retail image to the other partition.

2. In the MAC OS X Retail DVD there is a file named 'OSInstall.mpkg' which needs to be replaced by the patched 'OSInstall.mpkg' if you want to install it on a MBR Partitioned Disk (This OSInstall.mpkg is patched to work with MBR Disk). Otherwise it will ask you to partition the disk with GUID.

I made my sytem perfectly working.

HD2 3 partition.

1 - 32mb FAT 32 (not need have more space) for boot

2 - 70 gb OSX Leopard

3 - 100 gb Dati for Vista

All work perfect, also logic and Iphone program

One tips for graphics setting (if U have a unsupported graphics card like 4850/4870) take form internet:

Permanent

* Boot OS X

* Open the TextEdit program in the Applications folder

* With TextEdit, open the file: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

* Open the file, and add these two lines (right after the <string>Yes</string> line if you are on Tiger or <string></string> line if you are on Leopard)

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

* Replace the 1280x1024x32 with the resolution you want

* Then, in go to File >> Save As..

* Save the file as com.apple.Boot.plist on the Desktop (make sure the .plist part is there!)

* Navigate the the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ folder

* Drag your com.apple.Boot.plist file on the Desktop into the folder window

* When a messages appears, click Authenticate and Replace and enter your password

* You're done! Reboot OS X to see the changes

Here is an example of what the com.Apple.boot.plist file looks like with Leopard:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://

www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Not gone for the retail change yet, but if I create a 1gb FAT32 and installs the BOOT 132 as stated in step 11, will I still reach my boot-menu to access xp and w7 on my now tripleboot-system with vista (w7) bootmenu, or will OSX be the only working os since there are no more entries ?

Thank you very much for your fast reply, Robert. Now I'm trying your steps religiously (I previously used a chameleon for booting that's why I guess it didn't work before).

Sorry but I hate to ask this, should I install Win XP first or Vista before partitioning the HardDrive or I partitioned it first into 5 drives? I want to install Win XP, Windows7, and OS X retail. Please tell me if I'm on the right way or not. I will partitioned it first using GParted into 5 drives. One is for the booting hd (FAT32), 2nd is for the WinXP (NTFS), 3rd is Win7(NTFS), 4th is for Kalyway (HFS), and lastly for Retail OSX image(HFS).

Also, could I format the Retail OSX image partitioned after I successfully convert the Kalyway to Retail Leo so I can have exta space?

I hope my questions won't ruin your day.

Thank you again and more power to you!

Go ahead and do the partition, first Install XP, then Windows 7 and then Mac OS X.

After the installation you can format the Retail Image Partition

Not gone for the retail change yet, but if I create a 1gb FAT32 and installs the BOOT 132 as stated in step 11, will I still reach my boot-menu to access xp and w7 on my now tripleboot-system with vista (w7) bootmenu, or will OSX be the only working os since there are no more entries ?

I have Windows XP and Windows 7 in a separate HDD and MAC OS X Retail on a different partition...

Still I can boot into all the 3 OS using the Bootable USB Flash Drive....

I was able to install iDeneb 1.3 successfully, however I am running into problems when I try to boot into it. I suspect something is wrong with the options I'm selecting under "Customize" (during installation) or possibly my BIOS settings but I'm not sure. This is where the boot freezes:

InterfaceNamer: no network interfaces, could not update platform UUID

Could not establish network configuration: Success!

I've tried booting with the LAN enabled in the BIOS, and I've tried reinstalling with different fixes and drivers, also booting with -f -v. Interestingly enough, booting with -x brought me to the Welcome screen, but I couldn't get past the second or third dialog box. Pressing next took me right back to the Welcome screen.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

My Specifications:

Asus P5Q (Intel P45 Chipset) motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Yorkfield 2.5GhZ

EVGA GeForce 9800GT 512MB

8GB OCZ Reaper DDR2 SDRAM

3 WD Caviar SATA drives

Currently running Vista (64-bit)

Enable Firewire in your Bios this should resolve the issue or you......................

Thanks for the quick response! I already had Firewire enabled in my BIOS settings when I experienced this problem. Is there anything else it could be? I've attached a screenshot of where I get stuck booting OSX -- I hope it helps. Thanks again!

post-292854-1232320317_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the quick response! I already had Firewire enabled in my BIOS settings when I experienced this problem. Is there anything else it could be? I've attached a screenshot of where I get stuck booting OSX -- I hope it helps. Thanks again!

post-292854-1232320317_thumb.jpg

Try to boot with -x -F. If you are able to boot with this option then immediately install proper graphics Driver.

I think your Video Card is not getting detected....... you need to select different graphics option while installing iDeneb..... Moisi had the same issue

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1020880

or try different Distro like iPC OSX86

http://######.com/ipcosx86/?page_id=96

Hi again, Robert. I am having trouble installing the Retail Leo. I restored the retail as you've instructed but when I try to install the Retail I'm getting this error message at the very start of the installation:

can you tell me what steps i missed? thanks again.

post-249742-1232347650_thumb.jpg

Hi again, Robert. I am having trouble installing the Retail Leo. I restored the retail as you've instructed but when I try to install the Retail I'm getting this error message at the very start of the installation:

can you tell me what steps i missed? thanks again.

I think you missed the following steps Under Step 7

7. Once it is done run this zip.gif TinkerTool.zip

post-271572-1232389904_thumb.jpg

8. Select Show Hidden and System Files and then click on Relaunch Finder

post-271572-1232389923_thumb.jpg

9. Now unpack and copy OSInstall.mpkg zip.gif OSInstall.zip

10. Open RETAIL IMAGE Partition > System > Installation > Packages, paste OSInstall.mpkg in here. (Very Important Step if you are installing MAC OS X Retail on a Disk with MBR)

11. It will ask you whether you want to replace the file.... Click on Replace

12. Reboot the machine

Robert on my q660 work great.

I intalled my Logic that I have from my Imac and It works (only a small modify for deactivate controlling like graphics card needed).

Perfect system on my q6600, now I can use it in alternative to my IMac.

:(

Robert on my q660 work great.

I intalled my Logic that I have from my Imac and It works (only a small modify for deactivate controlling like graphics card needed).

Perfect system on my q6600, now I can use it in alternative to my IMac.

:)

Congrats..........

Good to know that...........

I did that too. I think what I missed is that I used a Retail Leo 10.5 only (that won't work right?). I have to look for a copy of a new retail first then.

I think you missed the following steps Under Step 7

7. Once it is done run this zip.gif TinkerTool.zip

post-271572-1232389904_thumb.jpg

8. Select Show Hidden and System Files and then click on Relaunch Finder

post-271572-1232389923_thumb.jpg

9. Now unpack and copy OSInstall.mpkg zip.gif OSInstall.zip

10. Open RETAIL IMAGE Partition > System > Installation > Packages, paste OSInstall.mpkg in here. (Very Important Step if you are installing MAC OS X Retail on a Disk with MBR)

11. It will ask you whether you want to replace the file.... Click on Replace

12. Reboot the machine

Hi, can I buy a network card named CNET PCI Gigabit Ethernet Adapter 32-bit PCI, Realtek RTL8169S?

So far I've been able to install OS X 10.5.4 Retail, but if I try to update to 10.5.5 and install graphic driver, I get an "could not boot network interface" or something. So I guess I have to have a compatable network card to update to 10.5.5?

Great guide by the way. Kudos!!

Hi, can I buy a network card named CNET PCI Gigabit Ethernet Adapter 32-bit PCI, Realtek RTL8169S?

So far I've been able to install OS X 10.5.4 Retail, but if I try to update to 10.5.5 and install graphic driver, I get an "could not boot network interface" or something. So I guess I have to have a compatable network card to update to 10.5.5?

Great guide by the way. Kudos!!

Here you have some details on the Ethernet Card

http://store.psystar.com/opensource/r1000

I did that too. I think what I missed is that I used a Retail Leo 10.5 only (that won't work right?). I have to look for a copy of a new retail first then.

You need to install Mac_OS_X_Leopard_10.5.4_9E25_Retail.dmg (7.01 GB)

Sorry but why i can't install leopard from reatil dvd directly like i did do with my config?

thanks

Read Step 7 Carefully...

1. The only reason why iDeneb / iATKOS or any other distros is to restore the Mac OS X Retail image to the other partition.

2. In the MAC OS X Retail DVD there is a file named 'OSInstall.mpkg' which needs to be replaced by the patched 'OSInstall.mpkg' if you want to install it on a MBR Partitioned Disk (This OSInstall.mpkg is patched to work with MBR Disk). Otherwise it will ask you to partition the disk with GUID.

3. If you partition your HDD with GUID then you can directly install Mac OS X Retail without any problem. (Also you can skip Step 6 and Step 7)

Finally had time to sit down a try this install.

I've re-flashed my bios and made all the required changes as per the guide

Used gparted to create the partitions

created the USB bootable drive as directed.

But when I try to boot off the USBdrive I get "Invalid or Damaged Bootable partition"

I've checked the status of the bootdrive using my XP machine, and it is showing as active and has the correct files listed.

anyone have any ideas?

Hi Robert,

I cannot do step 11 as I don't have windows no more. I only have the retail version of osx. I do have a vm with windows xp but don't know how I can get that to mount the FAT32 drive.

Is there anyway to get it to boot from fixed hard drive rather then the usb boot disk in my case?

Thanks

p.s

Good work on getting this done, the tutorial was easy to follow and I get it up and running in my first attempt

I got ideneb to install successfully but once I go to boot from it, it stays at the apple screen and freezes after a while. any suggestions?

Try to boot with -x -F

If you want to see what is the error message then boot with -v

Hi Robert,

I cannot do step 11 as I don't have windows no more. I only have the retail version of osx. I do have a vm with windows xp but don't know how I can get that to mount the FAT32 drive.

Is there anyway to get it to boot from fixed hard drive rather then the usb boot disk in my case?

Thanks

p.s

Good work on getting this done, the tutorial was easy to follow and I get it up and running in my first attempt

Try this

http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/

I've tried both of those. Still no luck. Does it matter that i'm trying to install it on an IDE hdd?

That is the problem, you need to install it on your SATA HDD.

or you can try to boot with your Flash Drive and then go into Ideneb....