Gigabyte's Nvidia 9400 powered M-ATX MOBO

stellarola

643 posts in this topic

Other than USB not showing up correctly in profiler my flash and usb hard drives did work fine on the P5N7A-VM and E7AUM-DS2H before the usb dsdt change.

If it helps to change it thats good to know. I wasn't aware of that.

Signal64, I was wrong and you are right. It has nothing to do with DSDT modifications. It's indeed the BIOS option. Legacy USB support needs to be OFF. Surprisingly, USB keyboard still works in BIOS screen.

There is a new F2 bios for the E7AUM-DS2H.

Improvements are:

1. Improve dual BIOS compatibility

That's it.

The DSDT is identical to the F1 version.

So no fun (or fix for the ethernet/sleep issue) with the F2 BIOS.

It may fix a "does not recover from failed memory overclock" issue I experienced.

The board would loop in a bios recovery mode never allowing you back in.

Clearing CMOS wasn't enough, had to actually remove the battery and wait 15min to get it going again.

(and yes, power unplugged to the board while doing both).

Have any of you guys used the new iPC distro? It's said to be 10.5.6 and support Intel AMD SSE2 SSE3. I may give that one a shot and see how it goes. My problem is that I'm not sure what to set in the configuration options.

(Still keeping my eyes peeled for that restore disc, though.)

Hey everyone. I've been a long time reader of this thread because I wanted my first hackintosh

to have this board. Even though I was a complete noob and still kinda am, I read a lot about this

topic and all of your posts at least three times just to be sure.

But after two days of trying I just can't get this this stupid thing to work. All the time it ends with

"syncing disks.... killing all processes" in verbose mode. Then it says MACH reboot, but it doesn't

ever bother rebooting ;-)

Just to be sure, I will write everything down. I'd really appreciate it if anyone here would see or

point out a mistake...

My setup: Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DSH2, C2D E7200, 2GB RAM, 120GB Sata HD from my old MBP.

Connected to beamer with HDMI cause I couldn't find a VGA cable.

What I did:

1) Made three partitions with GUID table (I just wanted it to have three)

2) Opened ALU macbook restore disc with Pacifist on ALU macbook.

3) Installed contents on first partition using Pacifist - connected via external USB.

3a) (optionally once) Installed contents of 10.5.6 Update to first partition with Pacifist.

4) Copied mrosxn00b's DSDT.aml to root on first partition.

4a) Tried Signal64's DSDT.aml

4b) Edited and recompiled Signal64's DSDT.aml with two processors.

5) Installed PC EFI v9 (Chameleon v1.0.12) to first partition.

6) Copied decryptor (ds...), IntelCPUPMdisabler, SMBIOSEnabler to extensions folder.

7) Changed com.apple.boot.plist so that I get the 8 seconds timeout.

8) Changed Gigabyte BIOS to AHCI instead of IDE.

8a) Optionally disabled almost every feature this board has to offer.

9) Connected HD to gigabyte board. Fired it up.

10) Tried _every_ option (-x -v -f -s cpus=1....) and still it hangs with

"syncing disks.... killing all processes" blabla "MACH reboot"

Like I said - I'd really appreciate any help from you guys.

thanks,

st

1. I personally stick to 1 GUID partition for testing. I usually put Windows/Linux/whatever on a second drive if I need to.

Just to keep things straight forward, less complicated, and easier to redo if need be. Just until things are stable.

2-3. You should boot the ALU MacBook disk and restore to the target drive. You can do the update just fine after it's running on the giga.

4. You don't need to edit the dsdt for 2 processors.

That's comsetic for IORegistry browsing when using a dual core cpu.

5. Install Chameleon 1.0.12 to the target drive and make sure you replace /boot with the DSDT patched version.

7. ok

8. Change SATA to AHCI and disable IDE onboard. Disable every feature??? Why?

I only disabled IDE, Serial, Parallel and leave the rest alone.

9 Connect drive to port SATA2_0

Thank you so much for taking the time. I will try this later today.

8. Change SATA to AHCI and disable IDE onboard. Disable every feature??? Why?

I only disabled IDE, Serial, Parallel and leave the rest alone.

This was just because it didn't work so I wanted to make sure it's not because

of some BIOS option.

st

OK, so so it worked with doing a real restore on ALU Macbook. Thanks for that.

The only thing I had to do was delete AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement since

that was causing a kernel panic (?!).

I then configured everything and even got graphics running with NVKush.

But then I hit hit the Update button like you said to get 10.5.6. After the update

I did the cosmetic kext changes again but my system just hangs while

booting. I can get a safe boot though.

make sure you replace /boot with the DSDT patched version.

What exactly do you mean by that ? I installed PCEfi v9 (with DSDT Patch) and

thought this would do it. Is there anything else I have to do manually ? I couldn't

find any info about this...

st

Wow, this is weird. I told you that the system is hanging... but when I plug in/out the

network cable it keeps giving me a new "mediaChanged" line.

Have any of you guys used the new iPC distro? It's said to be 10.5.6 and support Intel AMD SSE2 SSE3. I may give that one a shot and see how it goes. My problem is that I'm not sure what to set in the configuration options.

(Still keeping my eyes peeled for that restore disc, though.)

Yes the iPC distro can be used. Kept everything vanilla, PCefi_v9, used SMBIOS efi choice, NVkush and the DSDT.aml from this thead. Boots fine. 1920x1080x60 graphics.

QE says not supported. QuartzGL can be enabled. 100MB Lan :dev:.

I am using the IDE for a drive and DVD because 2 of this boards 5 SATA are AHCI only (manual says chipset limitation) and with AHCI on 3 drives my SATA DVD would not work.

Reboot hangsand I suspect shared memory headaches await but I am out of safe mode with this distro.

Gigabyte e7aum....

A small update on my system. I've got a working dual-boot with win vista 64. I installed from a unibody clone (10.5.5) and used pcwiz install application. Basically I installed a disabler, decrypt, smbiosenabler and nvkush. I didn't even edit any plists. Unfortunately I have only gotten VGA or HDMI working separately. I can not connect both cables as it will go black just when it is supposed finish logging in.. After the graphics installtion I threw in a hdaenabler, again without editing any plists or thowing in a applehda kext. To my surprise I got all options available in system preferenses and I could listen (only tested optical out) to it on my 5.1 amp with full clarity. (there are some minor issues, but I belive that thats related to my quicktime version and is discussed on a few posts in the forum) BUT.. I can only get this if I'm using the VGA. As soon as I boot up with HDMI.. the system prefs goes gray and I says that I dont have any devices. I will try booting with DVI and even checking the bios-settings since I remember some HDMI-audio settings there.. This must wait until tomorrow since I'm laying in bed writing this. :)

Is there anything anyone want me to test?

Well, that was a short summary of my current situation on my first hackintosh adventure.. :D

Gigabyte e7aum....

A small update on my system. I've got a working dual-boot with win vista 64. I installed from a unibody clone (10.5.5) and used pcwiz install application. Basically I installed a disabler, decrypt, smbiosenabler and nvkush. I didn't even edit any plists. Unfortunately I have only gotten VGA or HDMI working separately. I can not connect both cables as it will go black just when it is supposed finish logging in.. After the graphics installtion I threw in a hdaenabler, again without editing any plists or thowing in a applehda kext. To my surprise I got all options available in system preferenses and I could listen (only tested optical out) to it on my 5.1 amp with full clarity. (there are some minor issues, but I belive that thats related to my quicktime version and is discussed on a few posts in the forum) BUT.. I can only get this if I'm using the VGA. As soon as I boot up with HDMI.. the system prefs goes gray and I says that I dont have any devices. I will try booting with DVI and even checking the bios-settings since I remember some HDMI-audio settings there.. This must wait until tomorrow since I'm laying in bed writing this. :P

Is there anything anyone want me to test?

Well, that was a short summary of my current situation on my first hackintosh adventure.. :)

Great job

That exactly the set up I wanna have.

But I just have a couple of questions:

- what options did u check in pcwiz?

- when did u install vista, before or after Osx?

- how did u setup the dual boot?

Thx for any future answers :)

Regards

Bob

Well, that was a short summary of my current situation on my first hackintosh adventure.. :D

Wow, I didn't think it would be possible to get sound working so easily. But I tried every possible

combination of VGA/DVI/HDAEnabler/AppleHDA/HDAPatcher ... and I did not get any positive

results. The thing that changes with HDAEnabler is System-Profiler telling me that my Audio-ID

is "12" instead of not showing that line.

Azalia is giving me stereo but thats boring.

Is there anyone else who has optical or 5.1 out and would like to share some files or thoughts ?

st

EDIT:

Ok, thanks to netcastle I could get rid of my sound issues.

Just for the record... http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=140941

ALC889A_1056_fix.zip made the fat lady sing

But after two days of trying I just can't get this this stupid thing to work. All the time it ends with

"syncing disks.... killing all processes" in verbose mode. Then it says MACH reboot, but it doesn't

ever bother rebooting ;-)

Hay! I'm in same situation of "syncing disks.... killing all processes".

What I did are,

1) Made one partition with GUID table

2) Opened ALU macbook restore disc with Pacifist on my hacintosh or old white macbook.

3) Installed contents on first partition using Pacifist - connected via external USB.

3) Installed 10.5.6 Combo Update.

4) Signal64's DSDT.aml to root (My processor dore2duo is E4500).

5) Installed PC EFI v9 (Chameleon v1.0.12).

6) Copied decryptor , IntelCPUPMdisabler, SMBIOSEnabler and ... to Extra folder.

7) Changed com.apple.boot.plist so that I get the 8 seconds timeout.

8) Set Gigabyte BIOS to AHC.

9) Connected HD to gigabyte board. Fired it up.

10) Tried _every_ option (-x -v -f -s cpus=1....) and still it hangs with

"syncing disks.... killing all processes" blabla "MACH reboot"

any suggestion?

What is difference betwen using ALU macbook and Hackintosh ?

Okubo-show

Now have a semiworking system.. what I did was install Iatkos 5i on a gigabyte ga-g31m-s2l with my hot nvidia 6600, nvkush all on IDE disk, update system to 10.5.6, move disk to ga-e7aum-ds2h. A couple of reboots later it says QC/QE supported, missing is sound and SATA. Any idea on how to get these working?

Now have a semiworking system.. what I did was install Iatkos 5i on a gigabyte ga-g31m-s2l with my hot nvidia 6600, nvkush all on IDE disk, update system to 10.5.6, move disk to ga-e7aum-ds2h. A couple of reboots later it says QC/QE supported, missing is sound and SATA. Any idea on how to get these working?

read my last post for sound issues. can't help you with sata though

This is one of the most interesting threads around at the moment (well I think so). There seems to be so much potential in them for us. One of these boards is just waiting to hit my pocket. However, I do not have access to the ALUbook restore disk. How close are we to having a workaround for this. Full credit to all the contributors so far... your efforts are very much appreciated.

EDIT:

Ok, thanks to netcastle I could get rid of my sound issues.

That only get's you green and black analog out.

HDMI, SPDIF Digital out, and Mic Inputs still don't work.

Didn't test the rest as it also introduced some major instability in the system.

Open up Quicktime as an example to have your system start freaking out.

I seriously don't believe that to be a QT specific issue as with other systems if you don't have your sound right it'll do the same.

Get proper sound working and it behaves itself, but QT is just one example. System locked up for the first time using these kexts.

read my last post for sound issues. can't help you with sata though

Hi, nogo with ALC889A_1056_fix.zip, tried a couple of times. Maybe if there is a way to completely remove previuos audio device settings and let the os rediscover audio devices like in windows??

Hi, nogo with ALC889A_1056_fix.zip, tried a couple of times. Maybe if there is a way to completely remove previuos audio device settings and let the os rediscover audio devices like in windows??

Did you install those two files with with kexthelper ?

Make sure ACLinject or AppleAzaliaAudio aren't in the folder any more.

Boot with "-f" option...

Maybe that will work.

Using the iPC distro 10.5.6/vanilla kernel 9.6.0, vanilla AppleSMBIOS, PCefi_v9, SMBIOSEnabler, genericCPUPowerManagement, dsmos and the DSDT.aml from this thead. A reinstall NVkush brings QE/QuartzGL. ALC889A_1056_fix.zip brings digital optical sound with DVI output. Shows Dolby Digital haven't seen dts yet.

Still 100MB Lan. With high processing I sometimes get the snowing crash. What can I do next? RAM, Processing speed and Bus Speed show correct in profiler. I am also getting the Firewire error about 'defaulting to full secure'. Perhaps a different SMBIOS enabler, or is the secret only to found in the alu restore disk for this chipset?

Processor: Q6600 OC'd at 3GHZ Ram: 8GB DDR2-800 Video: Nvidia Geforce 9400 Onboard Motherboard: GA-E7AUM-DS2h

I am able to stream DD and DTS through spdif using plex. I will try and recreate how I did it next week so that I can post it more accurately. I know what you mean by locking up though. I was only able to make it a few minutes into any given movie before the system dragged to a halt. I have no idea if this is related to sound or not.

I think that if you want a hack workstation there are much better mobo's out there. This board's true worth is in its ability to provide a nice and neat HTPC. But, the drawbacsk and deficiencies at this point make it almost unusable as such. I described them in a previous post, but here again is what I believe needs to happen for this board to become a viable plex platform (plex being my first choice for HTPC):

-Audio over HDMI (so what if you get sound thru spdif - you can get that with any board). Please don't jump on me for this one. I realize that it isn't an option yet.

-an integrated irda hack to take advantage of plex's new Harmony remote integration

-stability with 4 or more gigs of RAM so that you can run other processes in the background such as m2ts to mkv conversion in parallels.

-stability with the SATA bus - I have crashed this thing more than a few times copying large amounts of data from one drive to another. Besides, I can't get the damned icons to shows the drives as internal.

-Better display recognition (EDID) and retention. I would love to hear other peoples experiences with this so that I might know weather or not it is just my system causing this.

I'm going to keep at it, but what we really need is some of these super genius hackers that lurk around here to get a hold of one and put a package together, like an iPC or a Kalyway, so that we can get this whole thing to work the way it should. Maybe Snow Leopard is the answer. Maybe MWSF will change everything for us. I hope so.