HP 6520s, 6720s, 6820s, 550 SL Install Package

BlackCH

1,448 posts in this topic

OK guys, attached my last DSDT (Please NOT use it, its only for reference, because have SSDT tables). I want you take a look to the native shutdown fix (hack code) courtesy of mm67.

Just, you simply use DSDTSE to open my .dsl and search "Method (\_PTS" (w/o quotes), the hack code is added: one part just above the METHOD, and the other part just under the METHOD, like you can see its very easy, thanks to mm67.

For restart, Im using OSXRestart.kext (V1.5) from /Extra/Extensions courtesy of Master Chief. You need to delete Openhaltrestart or Evoreboot before use the .kext above.

Also, added Method PNOT for better power management accord to p-states and c-states, by Master Chief. Thanks M.C.

The only thing that I can say is that all this options works very well in my laptop, and I am a happy man for that reason. Please comments yours experiences here, and thanks for read to me. Bye

Hi juanerson!

I'm glad you are continuing hacking with same enthusiasm.

I think that it is time to put Final Ultimate thread about HP 6720 s (550) and OSX and you are the right and only person can do that. Just make a combination of several threed from blackch, mardurhack, me and finally your great experience because this notebook comp deserve it.

P.S.

Can you upload your final dsdt without SSDT table specific for your comp.

Update 12-11-2009

New dsdt:

HP6720s_dsdt_3.1.dsl.zip

-PATA fix; no more kernel panic with vanilla IOATAFamily.kext when Native SATA is enabled in BIOS

-Some unused devices removed

Update 25-09-2009

Hi everyone. I wanted to share my last DSDT file.

dsdt.aml.zip (compiled)

HP6720s_dsdt_24_9_09.dsl.zip (uncompiled,in case you want to change something)

The most important thing is that fixes the IRQ conflicts between HPET and USB. Now you can load AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext without loosing USB, therefore you can start using native SpeedStep (yes, it works). For this you need to remove any disabler.kext, nullCPUPM.kext, etc so the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext actually loads. Go to: http://www.osx86.es/?p=563 for more details on how to get SpeedStep working. Nevertheless I found CoolBook2 much better than native speedstep; more cpu speeds (all B/2 half bus speeds), on-the-fly undervolting, temperature/speed monitor....all in one. Probably the performance isnt as good as with native speedstep, but the temperatures are a lot lower.

The file includes all old fixes and some new like SATA, PATA devices, ADP1 fix (now you see AppleACPIACadapter attached to it)... This file DOES NOT contain Cstate or Pstates injection. This is only necessary if you want to add more steps to the ones on the SSDT tables.

The 6720s is very similar to the MacBook 3,1. My 6720 has a T7250 CPU, and some of the SSDT tables are almost the same. It might be possible to even load the macbook DSDT (with some modifications).

I really recommend to switch to Snow Leopard; is way much faster. Leopard was a drag on this computer, but with SL everything is faster, theres less CPU load, GUI is snappier. Only downside is sleep support isnt working anymore, and we can run 32 bit kernel mode only (mainly because the GMAx3100 drivers are 32 bit only; we can still run 64 bit applications anyway)

Here is the compete pack of kexts and files Im using (SNOW LEOPARD ONLY!!):

http://www.mediafire.com/?zqyzneaozl2

These kext will give you:

-Sound (VoodooHDA.kext, prefPane and helper files. Mic, headphones, speakers). You need to add the 'helper' file to your startup items in order to restore headphones and mic levels at boot. Also NEED to REMOVE AppleHDA.kext!

EDIT: with this package: get__rid__the_console_voodoohdahelper.zip you dont need to worry about start items no more. Follow the instructions inside

-Keyboard & trackpad support (VoodooPS2.kext and prefPane, two finger scrolling, etc)

-AHCI SATA support (patched IOATAFamily.kext, otherwise you get a kernel panic if you have AHCI enabled in the BIOS)

-Ethernet (Intel82566MM.kext)

-Battery meter (AppleACPIBatteryManager)

-Fan thermal control (AppleACPIThermal.kext inside provided AppleACPIPlatform.kext)

-Native speedstep (Legacy ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin)

-Mac-like device names on the IO-reg (DSDT.aml file)

post-51637-1253958265_thumb.png

Model is set to Macbook3,1 (thats the most similar Mac)

Update 29-12-2008

I've manage to add quite a lot of fixes on the DSDT.aml file: UHCI, EHCI (proper sleep), backlight control, Ethernet fix (for timemachine, filesharing, etc), GFX (proper x3100 DSDT entry), PWRB (powerbutton device entry)....

Download:

6720s_DSDT_Fixed.zip

Having seen your work I'm sure u r the only one who can help. I attach both my original dsdt and my attempt to modify it from my 6710b lappy. I draw your attention to Devices C098 (my GFX), C294 (HPET) and C291 (TIMR) on both my original and modified dsdt. my pnp0b00 (RTC) is ok for the moment. The problem I'm facing is that I cannot fix my C294 (hpet) so that I can load AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. If you find the time pls have a look and give me some guidelines on fixing my dsdt since mine and your r quite similar. Could you comment on the changes required? Thanks in advance for your help

dsdtoriginal.zip

dsdtmodded.zip

Having seen your work I'm sure u r the only one who can help. I attach both my original dsdt and my attempt to modify it from my 6710b lappy. I draw your attention to Devices C098 (my GFX), C294 (HPET) and C291 (TIMR) on both my original and modified dsdt. my pnp0b00 (RTC) is ok for the moment. The problem I'm facing is that I cannot fix my C294 (hpet) so that I can load AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. If you find the time pls have a look and give me some guidelines on fixing my dsdt since mine and your r quite similar. Could you comment on the changes required? Thanks in advance for your help

First of all you should check if your laptop specification match the ones of 6720s, on second way you should try Juanerson last DSDT (the post on top of your's) without the SSDT tables. Once you've made your way and you get to boot at least without kernel panics (well maybe a pair in an hour but that's not too much) you should get your way into speedstep and copy your SSDT tables in your DSDT (see posts for this, evosx86 also).

Testing New version 1.3.2 of voodoobattery by Superhai. It should be installed in S/L/E with kextutility 2.4.2 (cVaD). Bye.

EDIT: No luck again with 1.3.2 (including Quirck true). Im back to VoodooBattery_121_prev130_Universal_Superhai.kext (sep 6 2009). I think I (we) have a very, very, very bad ACPI guys, what you think about? Because none V1.3 (0,1 and 2) worked for me.

Attached my last dsdt, with some changes. In the .dsl you can see all you need to know about it.

Information:

No more sata and usb hack code, all the old code has been commented for reference, the lines commented starting with "/*" w/o quotes, and ending with "*/" w/o quotes. These commented method has the same effect than to erase code, as resulted in the DSDT.aml. If you want, you can to erase all the commented code in the .dsl.

Changes:

- Our own sata restructured code works (at least in my case I dont need any hack).

- I ported all usb code for usb devices (uhc1,2,3,4,5 ehc1,2) from macbook 3,1 and works excellent too, at least for me. Please search for all ported and restructured usb native code around the .dsl file (is not too much). Note: Obviously the uhc5 device is not available.

- Unnecessary devices are commented too.

- SSDT Tables with custom p-sates are commented for reference.

- Usual Devices has been reorganized accord to MB3,1 code.

Please comment your experiences here. I hope you like it.

Important Note: You can use the DSDT.aml, but is at your own risk.

UPDATE 17/01/2010: DSDT.aml is now with to much less code, the unnecessary device C2B1 has been commented completely. Enjoy.

UPDATE 23/01/2010: Please sorry for the previous DSDT (with SSDT), the new attached now have less code because the unnecessary device ACEL is commented and all his references. Also, the device ADP1 has been corrected for better compatibility with voodoobattery, was my mistake sorry again. Some unused code removed or commented. And of course, all the SSDT code has been removed for everyone that want to use it.

UPDATE 31/01/2010: To much less code DSDT. And I prefer AppleACPIBatteryManager (32 bits) attached from E/E/, instead Voodoobattery.

Continue in post 156...

AppleACPIBatteryManager_1014.kext.zip

Hey Juanerson! Thanks for your constant news updating. I'll be back to this as soon i get some work done - around 20 january, more than less -. I'll upload my DSDT with tables for 6720s and T7250. BTW: How do you configure your own p-state voltage and cpu speed? For T7250 only needs to be changed to 2000/1600/1200/800, instead of 1600/1400/1200/800 ou're using (i think so).

Hey Yushir! I can explain you all about it, all you need, because you speak spanish, right? But if only you back here, and translate all to English for everyone. Its my only condition. I think your English is better than my poor language. Please PM me if you are interested, or someone. Bye.

Attached my last dsdt, with some changes. In the .dsl you can see all you need to know about it.

Information:

No more sata and usb hack code, all the old code has been commented for reference, the lines commented starting with "/*" w/o quotes, and ending with "*/" w/o quotes. These commented method has the same effect than to erase code, as resulted in the DSDT.aml. If you want, you can to erase all the commented code in the .dsl.

Changes:

- Our own sata restructured code works (at least in my case I dont need any hack).

- I ported all usb code for usb devices (uhc1,2,3,4,5 ehc1,2) from macbook 3,1 and works excellent too, at least for me. Please search for all ported and restructured usb native code around the .dsl file (is not too much). Note: Obviously the uhc5 device is not available.

- Unnecessary devices are commented too.

- SSDT Tables with custom p-sates are commented for reference.

- Usual Devices has been reorganized accord to MB3,1 code.

Please comment your experiences here. I hope you like it.

Important Note: You can use the DSDT.aml, but is at your own risk.

UPDATE 17/01/2010: DSDT.aml is now with to much less code, the unnecessary device C2B1 has been commented completely. Enjoy.

Hi Juanerson!

I have the HP 6720s Celeron version(my sign). I tried in weeks make my x3100 works with QE/CI without success. It works perfect in LEOPARD with attached framebuffer. But in SL I can get native resolution but no QE/CI. You can take a look at my dsdt.aml and see if it possible to enable it or any suggestion I will be grateful.

dsdt_FB.zip

Hi calmesal, I have NO Graphics acceleration (Quartz Extreme (QE) and Core Image (CI)) too in S.L., but dont worry because Prasys did posted and discussed about this point, and seems to be only a "cosmetic" thing. Which is your score in geekbench? Mine is 2435. Bye.

Hi calmesal, I have NO Graphics acceleration (Quartz Extreme (QE) and Core Image (CI)) too in S.L., but dont worry because Prasys did posted and discussed about this point, and seems to be only a "cosmetic" thing. Which is your score in geekbench? Mine is 2435. Bye.

Thanks for the reply!

I new about this PRASYS check to se if it work or not. but I am almost desperate to enable the acceleration in SL cause it works very good in LEO.

Bad News guys, from 10.6.3 beta: "There is no longer any 64-bit support for Intel Graphics driver , it seems that Apple has removed support for 64-bit Intel graphics driver. For those who are using Intel onboard graphics and 64-bit Snow Leopard , you’ll have to revert to 32-bit kernel or place the old kexts in your EFI partition". Courtesy: Prasys.

Hello,

I am having trouble getting my DSDT file compiled for my Compaq 610 laptop. I am using the latest F.0C bios and have extracted the dsdt.aml & dsdt.dsl file while in Ubuntu.

I have read pages of info about fixing errors when compiling and am still confused.

All I am after is a dsdt.dsl that will compile.

Thanks, Phillip

Mungos_Compaq610_DSDT.zip

Update 12-11-2009

New dsdt:

HP6720s_dsdt_3.1.dsl.zip

-PATA fix; no more kernel panic with vanilla IOATAFamily.kext when Native SATA is enabled in BIOS

-Some unused devices removed

Update 25-09-2009

Hi everyone. I wanted to share my last DSDT file.

dsdt.aml.zip (compiled)

HP6720s_dsdt_24_9_09.dsl.zip (uncompiled,in case you want to change something)

The most important thing is that fixes the IRQ conflicts between HPET and USB. Now you can load AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext without loosing USB, therefore you can start using native SpeedStep (yes, it works). For this you need to remove any disabler.kext, nullCPUPM.kext, etc so the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext actually loads. Go to: http://www.osx86.es/?p=563 for more details on how to get SpeedStep working. Nevertheless I found CoolBook2 much better than native speedstep; more cpu speeds (all B/2 half bus speeds), on-the-fly undervolting, temperature/speed monitor....all in one. Probably the performance isnt as good as with native speedstep, but the temperatures are a lot lower.

The file includes all old fixes and some new like SATA, PATA devices, ADP1 fix (now you see AppleACPIACadapter attached to it)... This file DOES NOT contain Cstate or Pstates injection. This is only necessary if you want to add more steps to the ones on the SSDT tables.

The 6720s is very similar to the MacBook 3,1. My 6720 has a T7250 CPU, and some of the SSDT tables are almost the same. It might be possible to even load the macbook DSDT (with some modifications).

I really recommend to switch to Snow Leopard; is way much faster. Leopard was a drag on this computer, but with SL everything is faster, theres less CPU load, GUI is snappier. Only downside is sleep support isnt working anymore, and we can run 32 bit kernel mode only (mainly because the GMAx3100 drivers are 32 bit only; we can still run 64 bit applications anyway)

Here is the compete pack of kexts and files Im using (SNOW LEOPARD ONLY!!):

http://www.mediafire.com/?zqyzneaozl2

These kext will give you:

-Sound (VoodooHDA.kext, prefPane and helper files. Mic, headphones, speakers). You need to add the 'helper' file to your startup items in order to restore headphones and mic levels at boot. Also NEED to REMOVE AppleHDA.kext!

EDIT: with this package: get__rid__the_console_voodoohdahelper.zip you dont need to worry about start items no more. Follow the instructions inside

-Keyboard & trackpad support (VoodooPS2.kext and prefPane, two finger scrolling, etc)

-AHCI SATA support (patched IOATAFamily.kext, otherwise you get a kernel panic if you have AHCI enabled in the BIOS)

-Ethernet (Intel82566MM.kext)

-Battery meter (AppleACPIBatteryManager)

-Fan thermal control (AppleACPIThermal.kext inside provided AppleACPIPlatform.kext)

-Native speedstep (Legacy ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin)

-Mac-like device names on the IO-reg (DSDT.aml file)

post-51637-1253958265_thumb.png

Model is set to Macbook3,1 (thats the most similar Mac)

Update 29-12-2008

I've manage to add quite a lot of fixes on the DSDT.aml file: UHCI, EHCI (proper sleep), backlight control, Ethernet fix (for timemachine, filesharing, etc), GFX (proper x3100 DSDT entry), PWRB (powerbutton device entry)....

Download:

6720s_DSDT_Fixed.zip

Thanks a lot, I installed Snow Leopard on my 6720s and used the drivers and dsdt.aml you provided and have everything working except sleep.

Strangely the last aml file you provided (6720s_DSDT_Fixed.zip) results in my system lsoing mouse and it slows down a lot. I am now using the previous dsdt.aml you included in drivers pack.

Did you got full display after using the latest DSDT? I have used my previous modified x3100 drivers for leopard to get full display and kexts are now showing to be loaded by the system (I am not sure if harware acceleration is working smoothly but x3100 kexts and plugins are loaded).

Thanks a lot, I installed Snow Leopard on my 6720s and used the drivers and dsdt.aml you provided and have everything working except sleep.

Strangely the last aml file you provided (6720s_DSDT_Fixed.zip) results in my system lsoing mouse and it slows down a lot. I am now using the previous dsdt.aml you included in drivers pack.

Did you got full display after using the latest DSDT? I have used my previous modified x3100 drivers for leopard to get full display and kexts are now showing to be loaded by the system (I am not sure if harware acceleration is working smoothly but x3100 kexts and plugins are loaded).

NP, but the '6720s_DSDT_Fixed.zip' it the oldest. You should be using the one on the top of the first post (check for the update dates) or use some of the last ones from juanerson; his has a few more enhances. I get full display with no modifications (device id: 0x2a02, only running 32 bit kernel). Graphics are not so smooth (x3100 sucks big time) but acceleration is enabled.

Hi!

What are "stock drivers"? and How do I do patched kexts?. Thanks for all and sorry but I´m newbies and for my bad english (I´m spanish).

'Stock drivers' means the original and unmodified installed by the OSX disk, which only supports the 0x2a02 device.

The files in question are AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext (located at /System/Library/extensions/). You can follow this method to modify them.

Note that kext are actually folders. The files you need to work are inside. You can open them by choosing 'Show Package Content' in the contex menu.

'Stock drivers' means the original and unmodified installed by the OSX disk, which only supports the 0x2a02 device.

The files in question are AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext (located at /System/Library/extensions/). You can follow this method to modify them.

Note that kext are actually folders. The files you need to work are inside. You can open them by choosing 'Show Package Content' in the contex menu.

Thanks for the information.

I´ll try it and I tell us about it.(I think that those files are the "stock drivers" that OSX install in S/L/E, ok?; after modified with the method that you indicate, i suppose there must reinstall those files with kextutility..ok??)

Thanks.

Thanks for the information.

I´ll try it and I tell us about it.(I think that those files are the "stock drivers" that OSX install in S/L/E, ok?; after modified with the method that you indicate, i suppose there must reinstall those files with kextutility..ok??)

Thanks.

Yes and Yes. Good Luck!

Hello, BlackCH! Thanks for your theme, it is very useful!

You posted:

The most important thing is that fixes the IRQ conflicts between HPET and USB. Now you can load AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext without loosing USB, therefore you can start using native SpeedStep (yes, it works).

I can't use your DSDT - Kernel Panic, and I try to create own DSDT. Now I can problem with USB.Can you say: what 's code for solve this problem?

Vlad

Hi there! I have read the thread in hope of solving my issues with nx7300

I might not be in the same boat but at least in the same fleet with You, HP owners.

On nx7300/nx7400 there is a well known issue in L and SL - you have to run it with cpus=1.

With both cores enabled it KPs on boot or after 3-30 minutes.

I wanted to ask You weather you had a similar problem with your HPs and if you have solved it?

In my dsdt I have no aliases for CPUs. iasl gives me 4 warnings, no errors.

The problem was present in iAtkos, and vanilla L and SL

I have tried the "brute - force" approach and tried loading some of the dsdts from this thread (without embedded SSDT). They have al KPd on boot (no wonder). Since nx7300 is quite similar to MacBook 2.1 i have tried loading dsdt from MB - KP on boot.

The other problem is that the CPU is getting hot. It starts on 60 and goes up and oscilates between 70 and 80 (that is when the fans kick in really hard). nocpumanagement kext is installed.

A strange thing is that when it hangs, the keyboard and mouse are not responding (both laptop ps2 keyboard and USB) but when i press the power button a windows appears asking if i want to sleep, reboot, shutdown etc so - the OS must be running. Its just not responding to keyboard/mouse calls?

I am not posting my dsdt here and screaming "PL3A5E HEL5". I would also like to know is if You had similar problems on yor HP6xxxxs and if you have solved it.

Do you think it might be a stepping issue? Would integrating ssdt in dsdt help?

Or does it look like an irq problem?

I just think my dsdt is messed up (no PATA section, no GFX section etc).

my nx7300 specs are: T7400, 4GB, GMA950, AD1981, LAN - Broadcom, Wifi - Broadcom