HP 6520s, 6720s, 6820s, 550 SL Install Package

BlackCH

1,448 posts in this topic

Great! I am glad it is working for you BlackCH, and thanks to inspire to me from my beginnings in hackintosh.

Quote: "Nevermind, I got the voltages I wanted by lowering the VID hex value by one until I get the right one..."

Exactly, I did it of that way.

Thanks for the guide Juanerson. I get this message when i try to download your files:

Board Message

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

Sorry, some required files are missing, if you intended to view a topic, it's possible that it's been moved or deleted. Please go back and try again.

Could you upload them again? Thanks.

BTW: BlackCH, did you get good values on your T7250? I get 76º when using two VM's at full speed.

Guys, I'm now helping my friend to get his dv6599en up and running with 10.6.2, and the major problem at the moment is brightness control. Video (8400M GS 128MB) works like a charm with simple GraphicsEnabler=yes in com.apple.Boot.plist, but brightness control hotkeys hang the machine.

I've removed two HPQ000X devices in DSDT for the moment to avoid accidental pressing of brightness hotkeys, but the solution is still needed.

I've also added PNLF device to DSDT, and I the brightness control slider appeared in Display settings, but I can't move it anywhere, it always stays "full on", even though the display is always at what seems to be 50% bright.

BTW: BlackCH, did you get good values on your T7250? I get 76º when using two VM's at full speed.

Im running with 1800Mhz/0.9625v as top speed (by omitting the 2000mhz p-state on the dsdt); I get 70º+ on full load, idle at 50-

Thanks for the guide Juanerson. I get this message when i try to download your files:

Board Message

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was... Please go back and try again.

Please try again my friend, I have reviewed the download link with Safari 4.0.5, and works fine.

I've also added PNLF device to DSDT, and I the brightness control slider appeared in Display settings, but I can't move it anywhere, it always stays "full on", even though the display is always at what seems to be 50% bright.

Hi Silencers, I only have that problem in 64 bit mode, but not in 32 bit (arch=i386), and this problem is due to the Apple stock drivers since it has occurred to know (at least in X3100). BTW, I also restore the bios default settings for recovery of my full brightness.

Well i've been testing it since long ago and x64 kernel is far more stable than 32 bits one. The only thing is that brightness control doesn't work on x64 (on x86 works*).

*It works like a f*********g {censored}, that's turning half the screen dark on level max-1 brightness and so on.

Sleep doens't work either way but it does work the new driver for snow leopard intel 3945 on x32 (and this time it is REALLY working, non encrypted connections).

I'll try native speedstep today, as of velocity i use now (and will use) 2Ghz as the max frequency, basically because i need it. But i'm asking wheter best values are for speedsteps' 2000,1600,1200,800 Mhz (I want 4 p-states at those speeds, well they're that way by default but the voltages... someone has changed them?).

EDIT:

Well i've got speedstep working as expected. I don't know why're you using OSXrestart.kext or whatever because there's actuall y a full y working release of Chamaleon modded to run with restart fix (as posted here i think).

Whatever i'm using VoodooBattery (lastest) without any kernel panics or so (v1.3.2). As for ACPIThermal, it's a pitty i can't get that on x64 but the rest is fine.

BTW: Does this mean we don't need anymore SSDT tables on DSDT? Except of course if we do want to mod the P-states.

EDIT2:

I would like to say that actually i've been able to control brightness in 32 bits. The key is here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...01966&st=40

on post #40.

Basically:

Hi all,

following the idea from idoc, I patched my GMAX3100FB in order use brightness (for now I can only set the value using Reggie SE or a bash script with setpci, please read what cele_82 wrote, no Fn keys working yet).

Please note that it's for SnowLeopard 10.6.2 and ONLY for 32bit (the 64bit part is not present)

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?yuyytykzmnw

Hope this can help, I have a Sony VAIO VGN-FZ19VN.

Enjoy

BTW: We should keep an aye on: http://ipis-osx.wikidot.com/forum/t-220702...cpi#post-728904 They're going to release soon a kext + daemon to monitor all fn keys, maybe we could adapt that to our own laptop and get the keyboard finally solved.

I'll try native speedstep today, as of velocity i use now (and will use) 2Ghz as the max frequency, basically because i need it. But i'm asking wheter best values are for speedsteps' 2000,1600,1200,800 Mhz (I want 4 p-states at those speeds, well they're that way by default but the voltages... someone has changed them?).

EDIT:

Well i've got speedstep working as expected. I don't know why're you using OSXrestart.kext or whatever because there's actuall y a full y working release of Chamaleon modded to run with restart fix (as posted here i think).

Whatever i'm using VoodooBattery (lastest) without any kernel panics or so (v1.3.2). As for ACPIThermal, it's a pitty i can't get that on x64 but the rest is fine.

BTW: Does this mean we don't need anymore SSDT tables on DSDT? Except of course if we do want to mod the P-states.

EDIT2:

I would like to say that actually i've been able to control brightness in 32 bits. The key is here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...01966&st=40

on post #40.

I've changed the default voltages on the PSS tables; makes the CPU to run cooler. It seems to me that voltages work also in steps rather than a absolute value. Take for example this one:

0x0258,

0x2EE0,

0x0A,

0x0A,

0x860B,

0x860B

Thats my 600 mhz p-state; the last two lines regulates the CPU stepping. You have '86' which means multiplier 'x6' and the '8' is the flag for half ratio bus (200x6%2=600). Then you have '0B' which is the VID ID. On my CPU '0B' give me 0.8500 v (I guess the lowest recommended voltage for t7250). If you add one to the value you get the next VID: '0C' = 0.8625 v. Note:It seems the values in the first two lines (freq in mhz and voltage in watts) do not affect the stepping.

Now Im using last juanerson's dsdt which conatins some ssdt tables. I belive this is not necessary; for sure you do need CTS tables to get c-states to work and PSS tables if you want to customize p-states. I belive is a good idea to include at least the lowest p-state aviable (600 in my case) as it will make the machine run much cooler when you are running not-cpu-demanding task.

Brightness control is working smooth now! I downloaded a patched GMAX3100FB from the thread you linked and installed. I tried the reggie_se thing and it didnt work, but when I pressed FN+f7 or FN+f8 brightness goes up/down! Would be nice to know how to patch this kext for future updates.

For me, Fn+F7 and Fn+F8 don't work (they're not the brightness keys) but are pause and scroll lock. Thus when i use those the brightness keeps at the same level. They actually work but you don't get that fancy icon from apple that says your brightness go up or down.

For me, Fn+F7 and Fn+F8 don't work (they're not the brightness keys) but are pause and scroll lock. Thus when i use those the brightness keeps at the same level.

Yeah, I was using pause and scroll lock before. Actually now when I press them I can see the dim icon/bar but brightness stays the same. When I press Fn+F7 and Fn+F8 brightness changes but theres no icon (and no auto-dim); oviously apple's brightness control rutine is bypassed and the control is done purely by ACPI calls (but also notice that the reggie_se method doesnt work for me). I wonder though what makes the difference beetween my machine and yours...

Im using the kext from this post:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1398329

Wierd, also for him Fn+F7/F8 does not work...

They actually work but you don't get that fancy icon from apple that says your brightness go up or down.

Yes, because we are bypassing Apple's brightness rutine, otherwise we dont get a smooth screen dim.

Does the reggie_se method work for you? Which address are you writting to?

@BlackCH

I've tried video kext from the link you are pointing in post 184 and receive reboot problem. At the very end of the starting OS procedure spinning circle stop spinning and nothing happens. I had to reinstall SL. Nothing helps. Is there anything I'm missing?

@BlackCH

I've tried video kext from the link you are pointing in post 184 and receive reboot problem. At the very end of the starting OS procedure spinning circle stop spinning and nothing happens. I had to reinstall SL. Nothing helps. Is there anything I'm missing?

Im sorry you had to reinstall. For me it worked without problems: Install the two kexts (although I dont know if the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext is needed for us) then run kext utility to refresh the kextcache... make sure you are running 32 bit kernel.

Maybe you can try to patch it yourself (I havent try yet): http://ipis-osx.wikidot.com/forum/t-91753/brightness-control

This thread seems to have an amazing concentration of DSDT expertise, so I thought I would ask if someone here could give me insight into why the battery meter on my machine will not work with any kext or combination of kexts. I've had people suggest it's a DSDT problem, but have not found much material on DSDT battery fixes.

If I use a DSDT from the HP Mini 311 project & AppleACPIBattery.kext, I get a battery meter with a permanent black X. If I use the DSDT extracted from my machine in Ubuntu, there is no solution I can find that will give me a battery meter. Snow Leopard 10.6.2 installed, and both DSDTs are attached. Would massively appreciate it if anyone has some insight to share.

HPM_311DSDT.aml.zip

S12_DSDT.aml.zip

Hi BigBeluga, maybe you need try to add this code to Device (ADP1):

Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)

{

0x18,

0x03

})

After, looks like:

Device (ADP1)

{

Name (_HID, "ACPI0003")

Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)

{

0x18,

0x03

})

Method (_PSR, 0, NotSerialized)

{

If (LEqual (ACST, 0xFF))

{

If (ECON)

... The rest of the ADP1 code. You need to use DSDTSE for open, edit and recompile your DSDT. Good Luck.

@juanerson,

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately (for me) I already had that fix in the DSDT I was using. It might simply be impossible to make it work with the S12; 4 months of work on this problem without even a whiff of a solution. Knew I was gambling when I bought I model with no community around it. Appreciate your help!

I've tried advice with DSDT fix for the brightness on dv6599, and it was still very problematic. Every time I try to use Fn+F8 - laptop hangs and stops responding to anything. Fn+F7 works fine though.

I've tried to fix _Qxx DSDT methods and adding/removing PNLF device with not much luck. Pause and ScrollLock buttons also don't work - I can see fancy Apple brightness icon appear on the screen, but brightness doesn't change.

I've tried command line 'brightness' util, but it give me an error.

The most problematic thing is that laptop was booting with the lowest brightness setting, unless you boot to Windows first. Or you can load BIOS settings, and hit 'Load Defaults' there, and then brightness keys began working in BIOS.

I've also noticed, that if you manage to hit Fn+F8 during OSX loading, then both hotkeys would work fine and won't cause any hang ups. In the end I've made a DSDT fix to set maximum brightness from DSDT - repeated 10 times the combination from the _Qxx method responsible for brightness up in one of the _DSM methods for another devices, and it worked.

So now when laptops boots up, brightness is set to maximum level, but unless you hit Fn+F8 during loading, laptop will stop responding if you try to do that with OSX fully loaded. I suppose it has something to do with video drivers, but since I'm using GraphicsEnabler=y there, not much I can check.

... Continuation from post 170:

Some news (goods and bad):

- Update to 10.6.3 just clicking the Combo... loss the native speedstep only, but not for long time jajaja.

- Bye Bye 64 bit for GMA X3100. BTW I am not use it.

- So smooth brightness control now. New 32 bit driver.

- New Legacy_SpeedStep_MacBook31.kext (10.6.3) load from /Extra/Extensions/

- New DSDT.aml (/Extra) optimized, to much less code:

EDITED: Now Individual downloads.

EDITED April 03: All the DSDT code has been updated (rewritten).

AML Output: /Users/juanerson/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/./dsdt.aml - 22831 bytes, 707 named objects, 2028 executable opcodes.

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 798 Optimizations.

Preliminar Conclusion: OS X 10.6.3 is more faster I fell... I like it jejeje.

Good Luck to Everyone.

UPDATE: Really is a Little Update: Please Sorry, for better speedsteping you should use the new individual attached Legacy_SpeedStep_MacBook31.kext, because its structured with complete clean code. Of course is Only for 10.6.3.

EDIT: NOW INDIVIDUAL DOWNLOADS.

New DSDT to post 227...

Continue in post 624 (Mac OS X 10.6.5 support /E/E)...

Legacy_SpeedStep_MacBook31.kext.zip

Hey there again, i was on holidays and i haven't been around here for a while. I see then, they've updated to 10.6.3.

What i'm guessing is why would juanerson see any diference in his brightness vs our one. Well in fact he has got a different screen than ours, but that shouldn't make any difference. Could you assure you are using stock drivers?

I'll try your new dsdt now and also update. Hope it works.

BTW: 64 bit wasn't working fine at all, but i hope they will make some drivers that actually work for it. So far, they haven't released the sources for x64.

As BlackCh said, i get the usually bad dim with apple's stock drivers. Witth the patched kext i get IG: Invalid firmware max brightness (or something like that) but ACPI brightness works. The system boots worse, it takes about twice the time it took before to boot.

Also, temperatures are higher or so it seems.

The system boots worse, it takes about twice the time it took before to boot.

Also, temperatures are higher or so it seems.

Not here;

everything works as before the update for me; furthermore, the system runs little bit faster

Not here;

everything works as before the update for me; furthermore, the system runs little bit faster

+1. And additional my temps down 2-3C since new 10.6.3 Macbook3,1 Treshold (ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext), and the last DSDT (rewritten). Maybe to yushir forgetting the detail to the new Legacy_SpeedStep_MacBook31.kext for 10.6.3. I dont know, maybe that is the problem to think hastily.

This seems weird, now my cpu stays at 55 when doing normal work, 51 at idle (before was 46 at idle, 49 at work).

But it isn't that bad for me, i'll stand this mainly because the next release of voodoo wireless seems that's only for 10.6.3 and will have full cryptographic support.

On the other hand, do you have tapping support? I'm using dong's kext but i do not have tapping support at all, i do have scrolling but not tapping (not even single tapping). Plus, would anyone provide the sources for that kext so i could modify the way < and º keys work (they do not mach the physical key). I saw first this issue on the original voodookeyb kext so that i modified it to work for me, but i this one doesn't have it and i do not want to use a modified language keyboard nor to use ukelele or controllermate to get this to work fine.

Have anyone else saw that our internal pci moden (in a step further to become a real mac) is recognized by VoodooHDA?. I mean, the only thing that seems to be done is to link it as a physical modem PCI device so that we could use the v92 modem script to get it working (i know, i don't use it, but as a real mac does, it'd be great to get it recognized at least).

EDIT: In response to juanerson, i do have the lastest legacy kext (i do have native speedstep), but still do have this problem.

EDIT2: Ok, then i'll wait till the next cold boot to confirm this, thanks.