HP 6520s, 6720s, 6820s, 550 SL Install Package

BlackCH

1,448 posts in this topic

I have modified dsdt to get more correct battery info:

In method "_SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC.C22C"

Removed this:

Store (Local0, Index (DerefOf (Index (C22F, Arg0)), One))

(because at this moment Local0 contains "Last Full Charge Capacity" but not "Design Capacity" which must be )

And changed default value of "Design Capacity" by correct for my notebook(probably we can read it somewhere ... but i didn't know where.. )

Name (C22F, Package (0x02)
                   {
                       Package (0x0D)
                       {
                           One, 
                           0x1130,  // 4400 mAh
                           Ones, 
                           One, 
                           Ones,
                           Zero, 
                           Zero, 
                           0x64, 
                           0x64, 
                           "Primary", 
                           "100000", 
                           "LIon", 
                           "Hewlett-Packard"
                       }, 

Package (0x0D)
                       {
                           One, 
                           0x1130,   // 4400 mAh
                           Ones, 
                           One, 
                           Ones,
                           Zero, 
                           Zero, 
                           0x64, 
                           0x64, 
                           "Travel", 
                           "100000", 
                           "LIon", 
                           "Hewlett-Packard"
                       }
                   })

Result of patching:post-416670-1294220840_thumb.png

I have modified dsdt to get more correct battery info:

In method "_SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC.C22C"

Removed this:

Store (Local0, Index (DerefOf (Index (C22F, Arg0)), One))

Is great that you are fixing this. I´ve been trying for a while but I have very little code experience.

The big probelm I noticed is that the "Full Charge Capacity" fluctuates all the time (in OSX) thus reducing the charge capacity a lot. If I go to Windows and discharge/charge the battery a couple of times it recovers its full capacity (around 2600 mAh for mine), but as soon as I use it in OSX this value starts dropping... I think the dsdt battery section is not very compatible with OSX. Maybe you want to have a look to the macbook 3,1 dsdt to see how is done there:

dsdt_mb3_1.dsl.zip

I´ve been scanning the (EC) registers with RW Tool and this is what I found so far:

offset 0x84 (8 bits) holds the AC/Battery flag

offset 0xA8 (16 bits) holds the current charge value

Maybe this registers could be usefull to implement native battery reading via fakesmc.kext and ACPImonitor.kext

Is great that you are fixing this. I´ve been trying for a while but I have very little code experience.

The big probelm I noticed is that the "Full Charge Capacity" fluctuates all the time (in OSX) thus reducing the charge capacity a lot. If I go to Windows and discharge/charge the battery a couple of times it recovers its full capacity (around 2600 mAh for mine), but as soon as I use it in OSX this value starts dropping... I think the dsdt battery section is not very compatible with OSX. Maybe you want to have a look to the macbook 3,1 dsdt to see how is done there:

dsdt_mb3_1.dsl.zip

About battery, recently I have similar problem ...:

I have used notebook most of time from AC adapter and battery begin loosing "maximum capacity"...

After reading some Li-Ion battery exploitation recommendations,(like this) I has found solution - simply charge/discharge battery more often.

Unfortunately, I am too non ACPI programmer(I am web programmer.. ) ...

But, I have litle bit cleaned up management section and tried to implement Smart battery system (simply coping it definition from mb31 dsdt, because i didn't know how to implement it correctly) - but without result ...

Probably you can find-out some my changes in dsdt useful for future editing, my current version: dsdt_1.zip

Thank you very much ThirdSmile, great job. I think we are now in the same boat with the battery problem, and going in the same direction to solve it. I will post my experimental dsdt and results as soon I can test it during a few days.

And yes, C1C9 = ECOK, and C225 = SMTX (just for reference). Also, maybe this topic can be helpful. Good Luck.

Hooray!!!! I have done work on patch to forget about GenericBrightness.kext for us...

To get work of native brightness control, replace in AppleIntelGMAX3100FB

this bytecode:

8b81541206008b932402000083e0fe39c27413

by this one:

8b932402000069d28400000081ca0000ffff90

this would replace original code:

movl		  0x00061254(%ecx),%eax #give current value to EAX
movl		  0x00000224(%ebx),%edx #give value to set to EDX
andl		  $0xfe,%eax			#remove all gabredge from current value
cmpl		  %eax,%edx			#compare current and "value to set"
je		  0x000016df			#if EDX=EAX jump to end of function(else change it)

by this:

movl		  0x00000224(%ebx),%edx  #give value to set to EDX
imull		  $0x00000084,%edx,%edx  #multiplie it by 0x84
orl		  $0xffff0000,%edx		#give 0xffff<value> format
nop							#do nothing and set patched brightness value =)

About constant 0x84 ...

values to set are:

0xffff01ee,0xffff0170,0xffff0154,0xffff014c,0xffff013c,
0xffff012a,0xffff0118,0xffff0108,0xffff00f6,0xffff00e4,0xffff00d2,
0xffff00c0,0xffff00b0,0xffff009e,0xffff008c,0xffff007c,0xffff0000

after patch them are:

0xfffffeb8,0xffffbdc0,0xffffaf50,0xffffab30,0xffffa2f0,
0xffff99a8,0xffff9060,0xffff8820,0xffff7ed8,0xffff7590,0xffff6c48,
0xffff6300,0xffff5ac0,0xffff5178,0xffff4830,0xffff3ff0,0xffff0000

And them are almost the same as we need =)

Patched files from by me(original already patched for 2a12):AppleIntelGMAX3100FB_brightness_fix_patched_files.zip

Can someone recommend a tool to patch the file on my own. Is the second part of the patch the own brightes steps?

Should I update to 10.6.5 for this to work?? (Currently 10.6.4

Can someone recommend a tool to patch the file on my own. Is the second part of the patch the own brightes steps?

You can use 0xED (or any other hex editor to patch).

Simply find this 8b81541206008b932402000083e0fe39c27413 byte sequence in file AppleIntelGMAX3100FB an replace it by this 8b932402000069d28400000081ca0000ffff90.

Should I update to 10.6.5 for this to work?? (Currently 10.6.4

It is not required I have checked AppleIntelGMAX3100FB from 10.6.4 - the patch would be the same.

BlackCH I was trying BootCD_6720s_Celeron and again it does not work:-( Unsuported CPU: family= 0x6 model= 0x16 stepping= 0x1 "@/Source Cache/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement - 90/pm Processor.c:210.

What do you thing about it?

Thanks in advance:-)

BlackCH I was trying BootCD_6720s_Celeron and again it does not work:-( Unsuported CPU: family= 0x6 model= 0x16 stepping= 0x1 "@/Source Cache/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement - 90/pm Processor.c:210.

What do you thing about it?

Thanks in advance:-)

Try this one:

http://www.mediafire.com/?0a1477vx4070gqp

I have just updated to 10.6.6 - Everything works ok.

Only what is needed for me after update:

- Reapply patch for 2a12 video..

- Reapply my patch for brightness (patch for 10.6.6 are same as for 10.6.5)

I've tried to replace my AppleIntelGmax3100FB with your, but system doesn't boot. Why? I've 2a12 ID

Hey guys, do you know how to fix the invalid firmware backlight setting? I've managed installing SL 10.6.5 on my HP540 (C2Duo) machine and this is the only problem I'm encountering. At boot, it switches to the highest possible brightness but I can eventually adjust it later on after logging it all thanks to the newest patch.

The ones interested on having fan speed percentual on iStat menu will need:

-Fakesmc 3.0 together with x3100 plugin from here. I´ve tryed other versions but I was getting KP on the x3100 plugin. Try at your own risk and have always a rescue pendrive at hand

-IntelCPUmonitor and ACPImonitor from here

Then you need to insert these two codes on your DSDT (as explained a couple of post ago).

Just before Device (PDCR):

Device (SPIO)
			{
				Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C02"))
				Name (_CID, "monitor")
				Name (_STA, 0x0F)

Method (FTN0, 0, NotSerialized) 
				{
					Store (\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC.SFAN, Local1)					  
					Return (Local1)
				}

}

And within Device (EC):

OperationRegion (ECOR, EmbeddedControl, Zero, 0xFF)
				Field (ECOR, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
				{
							Offset (0xD7), 
					SFAN,   8 
				}

and lastly you will need to hack the iStatMenusTemps.menu file (Library/ApplicationSupport/iStatLocal/extras) to show "%" instead of "rpm". This can be done with a hex editor, finding the "rpm" string and replacing it with " % " (take care on the spaces)...

Just for those trying to do so, it's "Device (PDRC)" instead of "Device (PDCR)".

Someone have tried to install an SSD hard drive on an Hp 6720s,like a macbook air? Is it possible?

I guess is like using any other SATA HD; just plug it in, format it and thats it, but the price for a SSD I can use with my audio work (250 GB +) is too much: 440 euros (I could buy another laptop or build a i7 rig with that kind of money). You could use a 64 GB SSD but IMO, less than 100 GB for Snow Leopard is a bit of a pain.

I've doing some tests so far. Extended desktop works perfectly (reached maximum vga resolution 20**x****@60hz and no problems so far). Mirrored display won't even work, it's all driver's fault - though it could be emulated with some sort of program, because as extended works it'd only had to show on the other display the same as what was shown on the main.

I tested ps2 modded driver, i got no result so far with sound fix (still goes up and down by two ). Anyways brightness is working perfectly along with fakesmc plugins (got the same controls as blackch did).

Thank you guys for keeping this alive.

I tested ps2 modded driver, i got no result so far with sound fix (still goes up and down by two ). Anyways brightness is working perfectly along with fakesmc plugins (got the same controls as blackch did).

Try this: VoodooPS2Controller.zip

It is modified kext from this topic http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=240639

This does not need a nub so delete AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext before install (Don't delete on Tiger though).

The nub is built directly into the VoodooPS2Controller.

I'll try and report tomorrow. Now i'm updating both fink and ports, and they'll take a few hours to complete.

Anyways, could someone post the 10.6.6 legacy speedstep kext? Thanks.

I am using same legacy speedstep kext as in 10.6.5 and it works good.