HP 6520s, 6720s, 6820s, 550 SL Install Package

BlackCH

1,448 posts in this topic

I'll persevere with 1. for the moment. Anyone have any ideas what might be causing sleep to fail on the restart?

I think both problems are caused by the chipset overclock. I do not know if theres a viable fix for it.

Overclocking it has sometimes unspected behaviors if the chip is not intended for it, for example in my 945GZM rig the PATA wont read properly if I push the FSB beyond 25% and theres nothing I can do except for lowering the FSB....

BTW, did you try a fresh install?

I think both problems are caused by the chipset overclock. I do not know if theres a viable fix for it.

Overclocking it has sometimes unspected behaviors if the chip is not intended for it, for example in my 945GZM rig the PATA wont read properly if I push the FSB beyond 25% and theres nothing I can do except for lowering the FSB....

BTW, did you try a fresh install?

I've not tried the fresh install, its next on the list after I've done a clonezilla on the semi-working version I have now, if it is the FSB issue the re-install wont do much beyond wasting about 5-6 hours of my time.

You are probably correct on the FSB/Overclock issue as being the root cause, if the motherboard is a GL960 one. After a read around over lunch it seems people have had variable success in putting 80Mhz FSB C2Ds into GL960 boards, the most common problem.... graphic display corruption.

GM965: 500MHz core clock/GMA X3100/DDR2-667MHz/533MHz and 800MHz FSB

GL960: 400MHz core/clock/GMA X3100/DDR2-533MHz/533MHz FSB

The Maintenance & service guide I have for the HP550 talks about two different motherboards, one GL960 based and the other GM965 based, should have probably read that before the upgrade :blink:

So the question is...

Is there a way to tell what chipset has been detected?

Is there a way to tell what the FSB has been set to and to force it i.e any hidden bios settings, as the C2D would still operate at the lower FSB.

Such fun... not.

Thanks

Kate

Is there a way to tell what chipset has been detected?

Is there a way to tell what the FSB has been set to and to force it i.e any hidden bios settings, as the C2D would still operate at the lower FSB.

on the osx side DPCIManager should be able to tell what chipset you have (at least dev IDs). Under windows you have Everest.

As for BIOS clock settings, there are non that Im aware of. IMO your best shot is to put a C2D 667 FSB cpu

on the osx side DPCIManager should be able to tell what chipset you have (at least dev IDs). Under windows you have Everest.

As for BIOS clock settings, there are non that Im aware of. IMO your best shot is to put a C2D 667 FSB cpu

LOL, DCPIManager says GME965/GLE960, tells the IDs but not the actual version, it seems the PCI ID doesnt distinguish between the two devices.

Guess I'll have to live with the no-sleep, boot via bios setup until I can be bothered to try the full new install.

Thanks again

Kate

As I said, if you don't do a cold-boot your devices internal RAM won't be erased, that's because they take more time to get to.

Anyways, for what you're saying it's mostr probably a hardware issue, as BlackCH pointed. You might try booting with this BIOS version using the celeron cpu. IF that's fine then it's for sure the FSB.

PD: Googling for the mobo id should point you the chpset id.

Does anybody know if 10.6.7 solves any graphics problem (ie, mirroring).

I found this interesting app, at least it allows to avoid restarting computer when trying mirroring. http://www.fabiancanas.com/Projects/MirrorDisplays/

And this: http://www.screenrecycler.com/ScreenRecycler.html. What i'm trying to find is some app that does a virtual mirroring, that's via software.

PD: It's possible to do via VNC, having both the client and the server on the same machine.

EDIT: Well it's not the best solution, but at least it uses built-in software.

Go to System preferences ==> Sharing and turn on remote administration (i guess that's the name in english). I'd advise only to allow the local user, but it's your choice.

Enable both Observe and Control options in it.

Get a terminal and type: defaults write com.apple.ScreenSharing skipLocalAddressCheck -boolean YES

Now start Screen sharing and connect to localhost. Voilà! You have your mirrored display. Of course this is the same as using a vnc server - client combination, but at least it uses apple-updated software.

Note that it produces a nice effect if started on the main screen. Also, if i did understood correctly it'll only duplicate main screen, so that you just have to put Screen sharing window in the extended one and that's all.

I'd also recommend to select maximum quality, because as it uses internal loop it doesn't matter the connection.

One final note, other clients can connect to you via port 5900 using your user & password so i'd recommend a firewall like little snitch to block that users. That's because they actually can control your display using mouse & keyboard.

Hi guys, Please I want to know your opinion about some randoms kernel panics related to keyboard. Specifically I am talking of THESE REPORTS. I got exactly the same unexpected KPs, even with Andy's VoodooPS2. Now from a couple of days ago I am back to Dong .kexts from /Extra/Extensions (ACPINub and VodooPS2Controller). But today happened again. Just when I am typing (erasing or deleting) or writing something, its very annoying lose information. What do you think? Please HELP.

I just won T8300 processor on ebay bids to upgrade from T5870 and waiting it for a couple weeks.

Blackch, do you have stepping and pstates running correctly on your HP6720s with T8300?

Yes; is working fine. I have custom pstates on the dsdt to get a little undervolt, but native pstates should work too. I can post what I have if you wish

Good luck with the upgrade! you will be very please with the temperatures and the reduced fan noise

Hi guys, Please I want to know your opinion about some randoms kernel panics related to keyboard. Specifically I am talking of THESE REPORTS. I got exactly the same unexpected KPs, even with Andy's VoodooPS2. Now from a couple of days ago I am back to Dong .kexts from /Extra/Extensions (ACPINub and VodooPS2Controller). But today happened again. Just when I am typing (erasing or deleting) or writing something, its very annoying lose information. What do you think? Please HELP.

No problems here. Im using the one kext from Andy's thread on S/L/E (unsure which version right now, but I can check)

Thank You Black, done and now I am testing Andy's last revision posted in his thread (first page) from /S/L/E. BTW, please tell me which extensions are you loading from /E/E, and which you have installed in /S/L/E??

en /E/E tengo:

AnyAppleUSBMouse

AnyCardReader

AppleACPIBatteryManager

AppleACPIThermal

HDAdisabler

BroadcomAppleBluetooth

Legacy_Speedstep

En S/L/E:

FakeSMC (+plugins)

DeviceMergeNub

Intel82566MM

VoodooHDA

VoodooPS2Controller

I have no problems here. I'm using the kext from Andy's thread slightly modified by me...

ls /E*/E*/

AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext
AppleACPIThermal.kext
AppleHDADisabler.kext
Legacy_SpeedStep_MacBook32_1065.kext
VoodooPS2Controller.kext

ls /S*/L*/E*/

ACard6280ATA.kext
ACard62xxM.kext
ACard67162.kext
ACard671xSCSI.kext
ACard6885M.kext
ACard68xxM.kext
ALF.kext
ATI1300Controller.kext
ATI1600Controller.kext
ATI1900Controller.kext
ATI2400Controller.kext
ATI2600Controller.kext
ATI3800Controller.kext
ATI4600Controller.kext
ATI4800Controller.kext
ATI5000Controller.kext
ATIFramebuffer.kext
ATIRadeonX1000.kext
ATIRadeonX1000GA.plugin
ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver.bundle
ATIRadeonX1000VADriver.bundle
ATIRadeonX2000.kext
ATIRadeonX2000GA.plugin
ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle
ATIRadeonX2000VADriver.bundle
ATIRadeonX3000.kext
ATIRadeonX3000GA.plugin
ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle
ATIRadeonX3000VADriver.bundle
ATISupport.kext
ATTOCelerityFC.kext
ATTOCelerityFC8.kext
ATTOExpressPCI4.kext
ATTOExpressSASHBA.kext
ATTOExpressSASHBA2.kext
ATTOExpressSASRAID.kext
Accusys6xxxx.kext
AnyCardReader.kext
Apple16X50Serial.kext
AppleACPIEC.kext
AppleACPIPlatform.kext
AppleAHCIPort.kext
AppleAPIC.kext
AppleBMC.kext
AppleBacklight.kext
AppleBluetoothMultitouch.kext
AppleEFIRuntime.kext
AppleFSCompressionTypeZlib.kext
AppleFWAudio.kext
AppleFileSystemDriver.kext
AppleGraphicsControl.kext
AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext
AppleHDA.kext
AppleHIDKeyboard.kext
AppleHIDMouse.kext
AppleHPET.kext
AppleHWSensor.kext
AppleIRController.kext
AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext
AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext
AppleIntelE1000e.kext
AppleIntelGMA950.kext
AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin
AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle
AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle
AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext
AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext
AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin
AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle
AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle
AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext
AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext
AppleIntelHDGraphicsGA.plugin
AppleIntelHDGraphicsGLDriver.bundle
AppleIntelHDGraphicsVADriver.bundle
AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
AppleKeyswitch.kext
AppleLPC.kext
AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext
AppleMCCSControl.kext
AppleMCEDriver.kext
AppleMCP89RootPortPM.kext
AppleMIDIFWDriver.plugin
AppleMIDIIACDriver.plugin
AppleMIDIRTPDriver.plugin
AppleMIDIUSBDriver.plugin
AppleMatch.kext
AppleMikeyHIDDriver.kext
AppleMobileDevice.kext
AppleMultitouchDriver.kext
AppleOnboardDisplay.kext
ApplePlatformEnabler.kext
AppleProfileFamily.kext
AppleRAID.kext
AppleRAIDCard.kext
AppleRTC.kext
AppleSDXC.kext
AppleSEP.kext
AppleSMBIOS.kext
AppleSMBusController.kext
AppleSMBusPCI.kext
AppleSMC.kext
AppleSMCLMU.kext
AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext
AppleStorageDrivers.kext
AppleTyMCEDriver.kext
AppleUSBAudio.kext
AppleUSBDisplays.kext
AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext
AppleUSBMultitouch.kext
AppleUSBTopCase.kext
AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext
AppleVADriver.bundle
AppleXsanFilter.kext
Apple_iSight.kext
ArcMSR.kext
AudioAUUC.kext
AudioIPCDriver.kext
BootCache.kext
CHUDKernLib.kext
CHUDProf.kext
CHUDUtils.kext
CalDigitHDProDrv.kext
CellPhoneHelper.kext
CoolBook2.kext
DSACL.ppp
DSAuth.ppp
DVFamily.bundle
DeviceMergeNub.kext
DirectIO.kext
Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext
EAP-KRB.ppp
EAP-RSA.ppp
EAP-TLS.ppp
FakeSMC.kext
GeForce.kext
GeForce7xxxGLDriver.bundle
GeForceGA.plugin
GeForceGLDriver.bundle
GeForceVADriver.bundle
HighPointIOP.kext
HighPointRR.kext
ICAFWKodakProDriver.kext
IO80211Family.kext
IOACPIFamily.kext
IOAHCIFamily.kext
IOATAFamily.kext
IOAudioFamily.kext
IOBDStorageFamily.kext
IOBluetoothFamily.kext
IOBluetoothHIDDriver.kext
IOCDStorageFamily.kext
IODVDStorageFamily.kext
IOFireWireAVC.kext
IOFireWireFamily.kext
IOFireWireIP.kext
IOFireWireSBP2.kext
IOFireWireSerialBusProtocolTransport.kext
IOGraphicsFamily.kext
IOHDIXController.kext
IOHIDFamily.kext
IONDRVSupport.kext
IONetworkingFamily.kext
IOPCIFamily.kext
IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext
IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily.kext
IOSCSIParallelFamily.kext
IOSMBusFamily.kext
IOSerialFamily.kext
IOStorageFamily.kext
IOStreamFamily.kext
IOSurface.kext
IOUSBFamily.kext
IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext
IOVideoFamily.kext
ImmersionForceFeedback.kext
JMicronATA.kext
L2TP.ppp
LogitechForceFeedback.kext
LogitechHIDDevices.kext
LogitechUnifying.kext
NVDANV40Hal.kext
NVDANV50Hal.kext
NVDAResman.kext
NVSMU.kext
OSvKernDSPLib.kext
PPP.kext
PPPSerial.ppp
PPPoE.ppp
PPTP.ppp
Quarantine.kext
Radius.ppp
SM56KUSBAudioFamily.kext
SMARTLib.plugin
SMCMotionSensor.kext
Sandbox.kext
SoftRAID.kext
System.kext
TMSafetyNet.kext
VoodooHDA.kext
autofs.kext
cd9660.kext
cddafs.kext
exfat.kext
gdmuwm.kext
iPodDriver.kext
iTunesPhoneDriver.kext
mcxalr.kext
msdosfs.kext
ntfs.kext
smbfs.kext
udf.kext
ufs.kext
webcontentfilter.kext
webdav_fs.kext

Hello! I hope some of the experts about the 6720s can help me here...

I have a SL running system (thanks to BlackCH and his contributions here, along all the other patches made by users...)

but I have one problem!

everytime I make an update... (10.6.5.... 10.6.6 .... online updates...)

I get, during installation, a message saying that the system extension "S/L/E/AppleACPIEC.kext"

is not correctly installed and it can't be used...

Anyone has got the same message?

Should I delete that kext from the S/L/E folder?

or is there any patch i missed to apply?

Thanks in advance!

That optional extension (Embedded Controller injector) is unnecessary in my case, I mean the vanilla one on /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleACPIEC.kext load natively in my retail installation from DSDT. I think you can eliminate it with all confidence permanently, because it does not belong to the system.

profiler.png terminal.png EC.png

Sometimes I have KP in video driver, something like this:

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB GPU parser eroor EIR 0x10 ESR 0x10 Page Table Error 

I am using SL 10.6.6 (the problem was in previous versions too)..

As I can seen in disassembly code of AppleIntelGMAX3100FB KP occurs in "AppleIntelGMAX3100FB::InterruptHandler(OSObject*, IOInterruptEventSource*, int)" routine..

Also there are one more problem with KP - my OS does not save logs about kernel panics.

Any suggestions, how to fix this problems?

Report: Here using vanilla (untouched) X3100 drivers, with 2A02 variant and display monitor 100% native... No problems

I am using Driver with patched device ids for 2a12, and patched Backlight controll method...

It seems that problem is because of difference beetwean 2a02 and 2a12 chipset versions:

I am trying to find out what can be wrong(and need to be fixed) in driver, in "Graphics Controller Programmer’s Reference Manual" and in "Chipset Datasheet" - but no luck yet.

@juanerson :

What about kernel panic logs - does your system saves logs when KP occurs?

Report: Here using vanilla (untouched) X3100 drivers, with 2A02 variant and display monitor 100% native... No problems :)

Thanks for link about EDID override(I have missed your post about this).

It was helpful for me (sometimes, really not often - less than 1/10 boot) on boot I have had not properly working display(and as I understood now - it was because of incorrect loading of EDID). I have done EDID override for my display - and seems, i will not see this bug in the anymore.

Hello all

A little story for those who want to upgrade the processor in their 6720s laptops, about Parallels Desktop, and fan speeds.

Seeing BlackCH's brave move of swapping his Merom T7250 to a Penryn T8300 on his 6720s, and reading about his much cooler 6720s operation, I wanted to do something similar. I found a used T8300 at the other side of the city, and bought and installed it with the help of a technician yesterday. Total cost: around 25 Euros.

Those of you who want to upgrade their processors, you will see in 6720s Maintenance guide, CPUs are interchangeable, all are socket P and ZIF (meaning you take out the old cpu, put the new cpu, and re-assemble the whole laptop). The laptop is a pain to disassemble and there are lots of screws. Make sure you note which goes to where. You will also be shocked how much dirt is around the fan area (esp. if you are smoker like me).

Note that those with Celerons might need to upgrade their system boards as well. The following CPUs can be swapped with each other without system board change (taken from hp 6720s Maintenance and Service Guide):

● T9300 2.50-GHz processor (6-MB L2 cache, 800-MHz FSB)

● T8300 2.40-GHz processor (3-MB L2 cache, 800-MHz FSB) (this is what I have now)

● T8100 2.10-GHz processor (3-MB L2 cache, 800-MHz FSB)

● T7800 2.60-GHz processor (4-MB L2 cache, 800-MHz FSB)

● T7700 2.40-GHz processor (4-MB L2 cache, 800-MHz FSB)

● T7500 2.20-GHz processor (4-MB L2 cache, 800-MHz FSB)

● T7300 2.00-GHz processor (4-MB L2 cache, 800-MHz FSB)

● T7250 2.00-GHz processor (2-MB L2 cache, 800-MHz FSB)

● T7100 1.80-GHz processor (2-MB L2 cache, 800-MHz FSB)

● T5550 1.83-GHz processor (2-MB L2 cache, 800-MHz FSB)

● T5470 1.60-GHz processor (2-MB L2 cache, 800-MHz FSB) (this is what I had two days ago)

● T5450 1.66-GHz processor (2-MB L2 cache, 667-MHz FSB)

● T5270 1.40-GHz processor (2-MB L2 cache, 800-MHz FSB)

And I suspect T9500 2.6 Processor (6-MB L2 cache, 800-MHz FSB) can be included in this list although hp does not list it. Note that T9XXX are harder to find and are more expensive than T8XXX.

Thanks to the hard work of juanerson, the processor states are read directly from the internal DSDT tables built into the laptop's firmware.

My 6720s is like brand new now :-) It is faster and runs a lot cooler. Geekbench score jumped from 2379 to 3335! I can't hear the fan anymore. (This is the result of using Penryn architecture). And I can use Parallels now as T8300 has VT-x (virtualization) whereas T5470 does not. Although I cannot be sure if VT-x is being actually used by Parallels, this is what I am investigating right now on various forums. UPDATE: After upgrading the CPU, the BIOS has Enable Virtualization setting. Set this to YES, cold reboot, and Parallels will have full virtualization support. Check it by the Console log, Parallels hypervisor inited (cpus=2 hvt=VTX hvt status=Enabled etc..)

After a short exhange with BlackCH, he suggested I write something on the forum about further customizing the Processor States for even quiter and less power-hungry operation. He kindly sent me the part of his DSDT but I couldn't figure out how to integrate it to juanerson's DSDT (remember, juanerson's DSDT lets the CPU take care of itself, reading values from the firmware).

So BlackCH, can you please post the PSS customization, or better yet, your own DSDT.aml? :-)

Thanks!

I once again thank all contributors, most especially BlackCH and juanerson, for giving us a smooth Mac OS X experience on an otherwise generic business notebook.

UPDATE 14.02.2011:

BlackCH DSDT has fan speeds as such (at Name C397 on DSDT)

Name (C397, Package (0x06)

{

0x64, /*from 81C will go to 100% F.S.*/

0x50, /*goes to 80% F.S. from 71C, and until it reaches 80C*/

0x41, /*goes to 65% F.S. from 61C, and until it reaches 70C*/

0x32, /*initial Fan Speed until it reaches 60C, where 32 is hexadecimal = 50% of Fan Speed*/

0x20,

Zero

}

I have changed like this for quiter operation and even after stressing the machine, all's fine (YMMV):

Name (C397, Package (0x06)

{

0x64,

0x50,

0x2D,

0x23,

Zero,

Zero

}

@smilenkovski : Thank You :-)