HP 6520s, 6720s, 6820s, 550 SL Install Package

BlackCH

1,448 posts in this topic

Hi,

Thanks for your work. Things are simplified. When I did this on my dell 1530 2 years before, it took me 2 weeks only to install osx...

I tried to install osx on my friend's 6820s. I did the procedure as described in the 1st page. Everything works except airport. I remember i got an error on acpiec when installed the drivers. Has this something to do with the airport problem?

When I press the wlan button of the laptop it disables/enables the bluetooth.

Thanks a lot

I tried to install osx on my friend's 6820s. I did the procedure as described in the 1st page. Everything works except airport. I remember i got an error on acpiec when installed the drivers. Has this something to do with the airport problem?

No, EC isnt related to airport.

You need a supported Broadcom card

No, EC isnt related to airport.

You need a supported Broadcom card

+1.

I think thanoss43 is talking about the ;) intel 3945ABG, because could be anything in conflict with EC and/or wherever has his problem, related to faulty (experimental) non-native drivers.

Hi juanerson and blackch. I've decided to move on with hardware. I'm thinking to buy this laptop and, of course, to hack it. There is no huge choice here, in Macedonia, on laptops so this one is available. There is another option from HP dv with i7, ati 6570m but it's unavailable in this moment.

I respect your knowledge on hackintoshing and looking forward for your opinion. So, I'm open for suggestions on desktop replacement laptops (high end). I'm traveling a lot these days and I need replacement for my desktop audio workstation. I think that this thread in inasanelymac is the best laptop thread ever but a bit quiet last days because we all have perfect hackintosh so I'm trying to put fresh wind in this post.

I think that this thread in inasanelymac is the best laptop thread ever but a bit quiet last days because we all have perfect hackintosh so I'm trying to put fresh wind in this post.

Sorry this post will be more "noise" than it is "signal", but I just smiled when I read your comment, my Macedonian friend. I could't agree more. The knowledge I gained through this thread and the courage even lead me to install Lion on my 6720s. I thought if something went bad, I always have the wonderful Snow Leo installation files and the help from our 6720s thread :-) So once again, thank you all helpful friends and greetz from Istanbul.

Hi all, long time no see!

This post is for those whose Mac doesn't wake up properly.

I just reinstalled my Macintosh to get it dualboot, and suffered from hanging Mac after waking up. After half a week wandering around, I found out that you can try turn off "Use secure virtual memory" (search in System preferences) and restart your hackintosh. Then, put yours to sleep mode and wake it up. Oops, it fails. Don't worry, hold the power button to turn it off and on again. At this stage, Chameleon will load from sleepimage. Now the sleep works!

Hope it helps! I think the problem is about hard drive I/O.

Note: each time you shutdown and/or restart, you may have to redo the above procedure, unfortunately.

Oradoe

Hi TruongSinh, I can't reproduce your problem. No problems here with sleep (and wake)... even deep sleep (hibernation). BTW, It always had deactivated the "Use secure virtual memory" option.

Note: Maybe the sleepimage is corrupt, you can recreate it (first set to mode 0, and second delete the file):

1) sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

2) sudo rm /private/var/vm/sleepimage

Restart.

Then, set back again:

1) sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3 (or 1 = hibernation)

2) Try go to sleep normally.

Hello guys.

I got T8300 CPU to change from T5870 and as soon as I plugged T8300 I got

Power Management received emergency overtemp signal. Going to sleep

This really suppressed me, seller says T8300 is an engineer CPU item.

Can this be buggy CPU?

It works fine in WINXP.

It shows frequency but does not show model in bios, but everest check is just fine.

P.S. Tried reapplying thermal paste but error persists

Hello guys.

Can this be buggy CPU?

It works fine in WINXP.

It shows frequency but does not show model in bios, but everest check is just fine.

Please clarify "as soon as I plugged..." Can you at least boot into OS X for a while? See the desktop picture?

I'd try several things if I were you:

1. Boot into BIOS, disable one of the cores. See if it helps to at least boot into OS X to do some troubleshooting.

2. Boot in Single User Mode, Repair disk permissions.

3. Boot in Single User mode, repair kext caches. Make sure the Extra/Extensions are loaded, most especially AppleACPIThermal.kext.

TJmax value for T8300 is 105 C. For an over-temp signal the CPU must be lower than that, around 85-90 C? The masters here might know it better than I do.

What happens when you stress-test it under Windows XP? How high can you reach in temperature?

Good luck.

Hi TruongSinh, I can't reproduce your problem. No problems here with sleep (and wake)... even deep sleep (hibernation). BTW, It always had deactivated the "Use secure virtual memory" option.

Note: Maybe the sleepimage is corrupt, you can recreate it (first set to mode 0, and second delete the file):

1) sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

2) sudo rm /private/var/vm/sleepimage

Restart.

Then, set back again:

1) sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3 (or 1 = hibernation)

2) Try go to sleep normally.

Hi Juanerson,

I did try your suggestions several time but end up failed. My 6520s always hang after the first wake up (from RAM). Then I wake it up from sleepimage (ok), put it into sleep again, and wake it up again. From this stage, the hard drive seems to work fine. I utilize dual boot, where Mac OS take the FIRST 90GB, and Windows 7 Professional x64 take the last 30GB. As I recall, before I reinstall to get dual boot, I only have Mac OS for the whole hard drive and the sleep is as good as it should be. Still wonder about hard drive I/O.

Cheers!

Hello guys.

Can this be buggy CPU?

It works fine in WINXP.

I had the same problem. Its a problem with old DSDT files:

Thermal zones are "hardcoded" in the DSDT file instead of loading from SSDT tables. It seems Thermal Zones should change dinamically according to the CPU installed. Oviously Merom CPUs must use different thermal zones than Penryn

You need to update your bios to the last one, F.0D at least (hacked BIOS from 1st post is OK too) , and use the last DSDT we published (juanerson 0.20)

I dont think is the processor! As you can see, Windows works OK

As I recall, before I reinstall to get dual boot, I only have Mac OS for the whole hard drive and the sleep is as good as it should be. Still wonder about hard drive I/O.

I´ve had sleep working in single boot and dual boot setups. No problems at all

I think you have a software problem. I would suggest a clean OSX reinstall using lastest files from the first post

Sorry this post will be more "noise" than it is "signal", but I just smiled when I read your comment, my Macedonian friend. I could't agree more. The knowledge I gained through this thread and the courage even lead me to install Lion on my 6720s. I thought if something went bad, I always have the wonderful Snow Leo installation files and the help from our 6720s thread :-) So once again, thank you all helpful friends and greetz from Istanbul.

Please, can you tell me how behaves the DSDT v0.20 (USB, AirPort, etc) on Lion?

Thermal zones are "hardcoded" in the DSDT file instead of loading from SSDT tables. It seems Thermal Zones should change dinamically according to the CPU installed. Oviously Merom CPUs must use different thermal zones than Penryn

You need to update your bios to the last one, F.0D at least (hacked BIOS from 1st post is OK too) , and use the last DSDT we published (juanerson 0.20)

I think you have a software problem. I would suggest a clean OSX reinstall using lastest files from the first post

Completely agree with BlackCH. Windows itself as those with Linux kernel and BSD (not OSX, obviously) discard the DSDT partially or totally if they can't recognize it and try to recognize each and every device your computer has. Your CPU has a driver on Windows, believe it or not, and so knows how to handle your CPU even if DSDT are bad, that's why it gets to work there.

OSX is done to be only compatible for hardware they selected and using only the software it was designed for it. So it won't auto recognize the hardware devices (it does on some, as they might be generic for similiar systems) but won't do on CPU for instance as each smc is tighly bound to it's compatible models (and thus it's the DSDT).

Just update your BIOS, reset CMOS settings (if it still gives error, as CMOS might be corrupt) and you shouldn't have problems. Otherwise report.

Hmmm.

I tried installing from a scratch with F.0D bios using your HP 6720s boot disc v0.3 which contains latest dsdt.aml. I used cd burned with HP 6720s boot CD.iso and then installed from 8GB flash stick with SL 10.6 retail. So did not catch what went wrong as I am ok on f...g noisy T5870 but just will try co replace T8300 once again)

Hmmm.

I tried installing from a scratch with F.0D bios using your HP 6720s boot disc v0.3 which contains latest dsdt.aml. I used cd burned with HP 6720s boot CD.iso and then installed from 8GB flash stick with SL 10.6 retail. So did not catch what went wrong as I am ok on f...g noisy T5870 but just will try co replace T8300 once again)

You could try it on linux, using the DSDT provided. Should it work fine, it was the OSX installation.

Hmmm.

You could try this DSDT:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1638554

Let me know how it goes.

NOTE:

Sometimes I get that error out of nothing (juanerson too), using the new DSDT. If that is the case, switch off the computer, unplug it from the power supply and take out the battery. Let it rest like that for 5 minutes. Then try to boot again.

Notice that when I upgraded the CPU the above procedure didnt help. The problem was persistent until I upgraded the DSDT file.

Other thing you could try is to boot without DSDT file.

I indeed did 3 times clean OSX reinstall just to make sure the sleep work properly. Soon after I resized my hardisk (so that I can install more OSs), the sleep function worked as I described. I think I 'm not the only person have this problem in this thread

Please, can you tell me how behaves the DSDT v0.20 (USB, AirPort, etc) on Lion?

I uninstalled it after three days (no sleep was the 'dealbreaker' for me, pls see below).

Oh, and I couldn't get custom DSDT working...I think. :-) As I had 4 P-States show up in Lion but 10 P-States in my DSDT v.24 thanks to BlackCH.

As far as I remember:

Sound (with voodoohda)

Airport (sometimes had problems remembering the last successful connection, but worked OK, I have Bcom 4312)

Keyboard and trackpad (Only got these working if I booted into 32-bit kernel)

USB - no problems

Sleep - not working, actually sleeping was working, waking up from sleep was not :-)

I have a Merom-turned-Penryn 6720s, About this Mac showed "Unknown Processor", but ioreg showed PenrynProfile was loaded.

I delayed "beta testing" Lion for a couple of months. At that point, we'll have the GM and someone will find a way to make it work with Chameleon ;-)

You could try this DSDT:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1638554

Let me know how it goes.

NOTE:

Sometimes I get that error out of nothing (juanerson too), using the new DSDT. If that is the case, switch off the computer, unplug it from the power supply and take out the battery. Let it rest like that for 5 minutes. Then try to boot again.

Notice that when I upgraded the CPU the above procedure didnt help. The problem was persistent until I upgraded the DSDT file.

Other thing you could try is to boot without DSDT file.

That was helpfull. I managed to switch to T8300 now using this dsl. So previous dst.aml caused KP by AppleIntelCPUPM.

So after half a day of running applications everything seems smooth and faster. Boot up and shutdowns are faster.

One thing left I do not have sensors to check CPU temperature, used temperature monitor and istat and both sofwares can not see CPU sensors. Other sensors are ok.

Other benefits are great: silent fan and overall system speed became faster. And even if I load cpu cores within

yes >/dev/null

loading 100% of cores the fan spins averagely and not noisy.

I run spectrometr using mic input on my HP6720s, can anyone please tell me whether mic input is stereo or mono?

That was helpfull. I managed to switch to T8300 now using this dsl. So previous dst.aml caused KP by AppleIntelCPUPM.

So after half a day of running applications everything seems smooth and faster. Boot up and shutdowns are faster.

One thing left I do not have sensors to check CPU temperature, used temperature monitor and istat and both sofwares can not see CPU sensors. Other sensors are ok.

Other benefits are great: silent fan and overall system speed became faster. And even if I load cpu cores within

yes >/dev/null

loading 100% of cores the fan spins averagely and not noisy.

I run spectrometr using mic input on my HP6720s, can anyone please tell me whether mic input is stereo or mono?

Glad to here!

For temperatures, try if coolbook can "see" your CPU temps

Enjoy!

BTW, I think the mic input is stereo