HP 6520s, 6720s, 6820s, 550 SL Install Package

BlackCH

1,448 posts in this topic

P.D. Si te parece bien podemos intercambiar experiencias por msn, ya que obtengo lecturas suficientemente consistentes, distinto a lo que comentas aquí si te entiendo bien, es decir, en mi caso los porcentajes se corresponden (en concordancia) con las revoluciones. Tal vez estoy equivocado o no entienda tu punto, pero es lo que muestra el widget de Istat Pro, puedo ver como suben las rpm a medida que sube la velocidad del ventilador. Espero tu respuesta, Feliz Navidad y Saludos.

In the screenshot, second Fan Speed 65% from 61C until it reaches 70C (1310 rpm), while the reading 1010 rpm is the initial activated (in theory) speed from 45-50C, and the minimal (I think) factory speed reported in my case is 10 rpm (almost OFF below 45C). About top speed (not 100% of F.S.) was 1610 rpm at 72C during intensive CPU test (20 mins - both cores), and never it reaches 80C. So, I think logically the maximum fan speed (100%) maybe is 1010 x 2 = 2020 rpm, but I don't know.

Important note of clarifying: All the readings were taken loading default fan speed settings from DSDT v0.20

I was getting wrong readings on my first attempt because you need to do some math with the register before it passes de value to the ACPIMonitor.kext. As I said in the post on OSXProject, this is because the register holds a speed percentual value and not RPM.

The EC device code in not modified at all, just a few lines added to declare a new register. Actually you could use the already existant C1D2 Operation Region to declare the register so you dont have to add any extra code on EC device

Now I have same readings with the code posted above; But I added one more speed on the fan speed table (the rest are default values).

So I have:

650rpm = 0x20% Fan speed = 32ºc

1010rpm = 0x32% fan speed = 40ºc

1310rpm = 0x41% fan speed = 54ºc

and thats it, because my cpu never passes the 62-63 degrees so the next two thermal zones are never reached. Also, as we can see, thermal zones are adjusted dinamically depending on the CPU.

Remember, this is not real RPM but a calculation made out from the fan speed percentuals. We dont know the actual speed of the fan...

Not perfect, but nice

i´m running 10.6.6 with installed bootcd 0.3 and before installing, I could close the laptop without going sleep. now it goes in sleep, what I don´t want, I tried all settings in smartsleep, even removed smartsleep..

what can I do, to make it not going in sleep?

also I noticed, that express-card isn´t working.. should I reinstall the installer from the bootcd?

what can I do, to make it not going in sleep?

Probably before you didnt have a good dsdt because thats the normal behavior on macs; I dont think you can change it from the OS.

you can try to disable sleep with this utility:

http://semaja2.net/insomniaxinfo

also I noticed, that express-card isn´t working.. should I reinstall the installer from the bootcd?

Its working here (firewire expresscard32); The Icon appears on the menubar when I plug the card, but maybe you need to boot with the card already plugged to make it work

The expresscard32 depend of USB right? From I know is attached to the USB, so is probably that 10.6.5 update broke these functionality because it is known that the update brought important changes (also maybe some bugs) into USB family drivers, even broken some iMacs reported in Apple forums. Otherwise, to discard problems in the DSDT, can anybody test the hot plug capacity with DSDT v0.20 in 10.6.4... Or trying with priors dsdt in 10.6.5. Thanks.

I like it :thumbsup_anim:

P.D. 50% of fan speed is almost all the time here as expected (normal temps), and I just want to comment that my minimal (own custom) speed only is showing a few minutes until reaches 45-50C, which is perfectly acceptable in my 65nm CPU.

I just tested booting with the expresscard plugged in... the card is full functional and can be removed and also be plugged in after booting, but the card must be plugged in while booting with 10.6.5 and 10.6.6

Please, Can you upload your ioreg with Express-card plugged in? Thanks. P.D. Is working fine hot-plug after sleep?

The ones interested on having fan speed percentual on iStat menu will need:

-Fakesmc 3.0 together with x3100 plugin from here. I´ve tryed other versions but I was getting KP on the x3100 plugin. Try at your own risk and have always a rescue pendrive at hand

-IntelCPUmonitor and ACPImonitor from here

Then you need to insert these two codes on your DSDT (as explained a couple of post ago).

Just before Device (PDRC):

Device (SPIO)
			{
				Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C02"))
				Name (_CID, "monitor")
				Name (_STA, 0x0F)

Method (FTN0, 0, NotSerialized) 
				{
					Store (\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC.SFAN, Local1)					  
					Return (Local1)
				}

}

And within Device (EC):

OperationRegion (ECOR, EmbeddedControl, Zero, 0xFF)
				Field (ECOR, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
				{
							Offset (0xD7), 
					SFAN,   8 
				}

and lastly you will need to hack the iStatMenusTemps.menu file (Library/ApplicationSupport/iStatLocal/extras) to show "%" instead of "rpm". This can be done with a hex editor, finding the "rpm" string and replacing it with " % " (take care on the spaces)...

i´ve tested a little bit with the expresscard and what can I say.. after booting one time with the card plugged in, I also can boot without the card...

maybe only one restart was needed to reinstall the kexts after updating to 16.6.5 and 10.6.6.... i only tested this with my umts-expresscard (huawei e870)... maybe someone can test this with an other expresscard...

Edited 11.01.2011: I have done patch to get FB work properly (link to post)

Recently I have disassembled AppleIntelGMAX3100FB (already patched for 2a12), and I found interesting function:

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB::hwSetBacklight(unsigned long)

In this function I have replaced this code:

+90	000016cc  899154120600			  movl		  %edx,0x00061254(%ecx)

by this(register %eax contains current brightness):

+90	000016cc  898154120600			  movl		  %eax,0x00061254(%ecx))

(To patch simply replace this opcode: 899154120600 by this: 898154120600 in 0xED)

And now, my FB doesn't set uncorrect brightness values, but everithing else works as previous(I have slider for brightness and hot kyes works).

This patched driver works realy good with GenericBrightness by Ivik(from first post)

Also I have changed _BCM method in PNLF device(this gives more smooth brightness change for me):

Method (_BCM, 1, Serialized)
		{
			Store (Arg0, C1B1)
			If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x01EE)) { Store (0xFFFFF800, LEVL) }
			If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x01CF)) { Store (0xFFFFF000, LEVL) }
			If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x01B0)) { Store (0xFFFFE000, LEVL) }
			If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x0191)) { Store (0xFFFFD000, LEVL) }
			If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x0173)) { Store (0xFFFFC000, LEVL) }
			If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x0154)) { Store (0xFFFFB000, LEVL) }
			If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x0135)) { Store (0xFFFFA000, LEVL) }
			If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x0116)) { Store (0xFFFF9000, LEVL) }
			If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x00F7)) { Store (0xFFFF8000, LEVL) }
			If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x00D8)) { Store (0xFFFF7000, LEVL) }
			If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x00B9)) { Store (0xFFFF6000, LEVL) }
			If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x009A)) { Store (0xFFFF5000, LEVL) }
			If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x007C)) { Store (0xFFFF4000, LEVL) }
			If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x009A)) { Store (0xFFFF3000, LEVL) }
			If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x007C)) { Store (0xFFFF2800, LEVL) }
			If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x005D)) { Store (0xFFFF2000, LEVL) }
			If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x003E)) { Store (0xFFFF1800, LEVL) }
			If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x001F)) { Store (0xFFFF1000, LEVL) }
			If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x0000)) { Store (0xFFFF0000, LEVL) }
		}

About keys Fn+F7 , Fn+F8 ... - they simply doesn't work, and I can not find-out why:

- I have tried to get scancodes using modified VoodooPS2Keyboard - no result

- I have looked for keyboard port(0x60) in Reggie SE - no result(no changes in port when pressing this keys).

Any ideas about this?

Also I had have one problem with Fn+F11, Fn+F12 (Volume Up/Down) - slider moves for two points(by one key press)...:

By this reason, I have modified VoodooPS2Keyboard from this topic,:

- fix for Volume Up/Down (warning if haven't this problem DON'T USE this)

- Replaced "Application" key by "Right Command"

- fixed key "`~"

VoodooPS2Keyboard.zip

To patch simply replace this opcode: 899154120600 by this: 899154120600 in 0xED)

I think you have a typo mistake (the original and replaced values are the same?) but,

Sounds great! Please, could you post your GMA modified binary so I can diff it? Maybe would be nice to do an auto-patcher script

Did you try without ivik driver?

As for the keyboard FN+F7/F8 seems to be blocked by the GMA driver brightness control function. Maybe Im wrong but I did some testing some time ago and if you bybass the brightness control routine in the GMA framebuffer (patching the binary) the FN+F7/F8 would change the brightness (by ACPI calls). I dont know if they would produce scancodes in this situation.

I will try your PS2keyboard kext as I have the same bug on the volume control.

Would be possible to assign some F keys to control functions (like volume, etc) without having to press the FN key?

Thanks!

I think you have a typo mistake (the original and replaced values are the same?)

Sorry ... my mistake...

Should be this:

replace this opcode: 899154120600 by this: 898154120600 in 0xED

Did you try without ivik driver?

Yes, brightness slider moves but without brightness change.

Probably, this can be useful:

VoodooPS2Keyboard(compiled kext) : VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext.zip

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB patched & original files: AppleIntelGMAX3100FB_files.zip

Would be possible to assign some F keys to control functions (like volume, etc) without having to press the FN key?

I have this:

42d0b71e97b4c750eaa66baf9c2fb759.png

Sorry ... my mistake...

Should be this:

replace this opcode: 899154120600 by this: 898154120600 in 0xED

Works great! No more wierd screens. I will try to do a patcher script (in the fashion of the 2a12 patcher) so we dont have to patch the kext manually after every update...

About your DSDT code, I didnt notice much difference in the brightess change, but I´ve commited it anyways to the "official" DSDT beacause it looks a lot cleaner. Thanks!

Hello again.

I have a big problem with my laptop. I want to install snow leopard on hp 6720s with Intel® Celeron® CPU 550 @ 2.00GHz. Can you give me some hints for proper installation step by step? I've tried few times and always someting was wrong. When I used HP 6720s_BootCD there was an error message "CPU not supported"... Help please...:-)

When I used HP 6720s_BootCD there was an error message "CPU not supported"... Help please...:-)

Thats new to me. As far as I know your CPU should work....could you take a picture of the screen?

Which install disc (not the boot CD) are you using? You need Snow Leopard 10.6 retail

Thats new to me. As far as I know your CPU should work....

Black, "tal vez" su celeron no es soportado porque a partir de tu nuevo boot cd todo el proceso se realiza con speedstep activado, lo cual "en teoría" requiere un C2D o dual core. Con tu anterior cd esto no era posible (speedstep durante la instalación) porque había incoherencia entre el perfil (MB3,2) y el legacy (MB3,1) si no me equivoco, habiéndolo comprobado con el system.log en el perfil del sistema desde el DVD retail. Posible solución: usar el v0.2 temporalmente. Saludos.

Hooray!!!! I have done work on patch to forget about GenericBrightness.kext for us...

To get work of native brightness control, replace in AppleIntelGMAX3100FB

this bytecode:

8b81541206008b932402000083e0fe39c27413

by this one:

8b932402000069d28400000081ca0000ffff90

this would replace original code:

movl		  0x00061254(%ecx),%eax #give current value to EAX
movl		  0x00000224(%ebx),%edx #give value to set to EDX
andl		  $0xfe,%eax			#remove all gabredge from current value
cmpl		  %eax,%edx			#compare current and "value to set"
je		  0x000016df			#if EDX=EAX jump to end of function(else change it)

by this:

movl		  0x00000224(%ebx),%edx  #give value to set to EDX
imull		  $0x00000084,%edx,%edx  #multiplie it by 0x84
orl		  $0xffff0000,%edx		#give 0xffff<value> format
nop							#do nothing and set patched brightness value =)

About constant 0x84 ...

values to set are:

0xffff01ee,0xffff0170,0xffff0154,0xffff014c,0xffff013c,
0xffff012a,0xffff0118,0xffff0108,0xffff00f6,0xffff00e4,0xffff00d2,
0xffff00c0,0xffff00b0,0xffff009e,0xffff008c,0xffff007c,0xffff0000

after patch them are:

0xfffffeb8,0xffffbdc0,0xffffaf50,0xffffab30,0xffffa2f0,
0xffff99a8,0xffff9060,0xffff8820,0xffff7ed8,0xffff7590,0xffff6c48,
0xffff6300,0xffff5ac0,0xffff5178,0xffff4830,0xffff3ff0,0xffff0000

And them are almost the same as we need =)

Patched files from by me(original already patched for 2a12):AppleIntelGMAX3100FB_brightness_fix_patched_files.zip

• Like 1

Hooray!!!! I have done work on patch to forget about GenericBrightness.kext for us...

Amazing mate! Is working great!

Thanks a lot!

BTW: I´ve PMed you about the FN keys

Black, "tal vez" su celeron no es soportado porque a partir de tu nuevo boot cd todo el proceso se realiza con speedstep activado, lo cual "en teoría" requiere un C2D o dual core. Con tu anterior cd esto no era posible (speedstep durante la instalación) porque había incoherencia entre el perfil (MB3,2) y el legacy (MB3,1) si no me equivoco, habiéndolo comprobado con el system.log en el perfil del sistema desde el DVD retail. Posible solución: usar el v0.2 temporalmente. Saludos.

No lo se; hace algunas semanas tube acceso a una 6720s con un celeron 1.7 ghz. Hice una copia exacta de mi disco duro (10.6.4 en ese momento), lo conecte y booteo sin problemas (tuve que pachear la x3100 2a12 solamente y borrar la informacion del cpu en el dsdt)...obviamente speedstep no funcionaba, pero todo lo demas si.

Cuando se carga la informacion de speedstep desde las tablas SSDT, los datos son dinamicos y cambian segun el CPU que este instalado; en el caso de un celeron supongo que no deberia cargar ningun P-state

Thanks:-) I'l try tomorow:-)Tell me please will the Hp 6720s bootdisk v02 install all drivers needed for complete installation and proper functioning of Snow Leo? Or do I have to install some other stuffs? Sorry for my stupid questions but I am totaly newbie in hackintosh world:-).