HP 6520s, 6720s, 6820s, 550 SL Install Package

BlackCH

1,448 posts in this topic

COME ON! its the same mine CPU T5470, can you see in my signature... WTF Jajaja... The difference just in voltage (mini volts). Which FakeSMC are you using? Which extensions are you loading/installed from /E/E and /S/L/E??

BTW..., please delete your actual fakesmc in /E/E and plugins (if you have it too), put the fakesmc Im using attached (its the same inside 10.6.5 updated files), then rebuild cache, restart and tell me other history.

OK, we are fine to this point. My last attempt to try to help you, please delete (uninstall) istat widget, using Appcleaner 1.2.2 for that. Because Im thinking maybe your version just have a conflict with the system configuration, specifically the tjmax value from fakesmc... This is a typical very reported issue (conflict) between particulars mobile CPUs. And after restart the system, please install the Im using version (Pro) attached, courtesy Slice... Please report back. Good Luck my Friend.

iStat_pro.wdgt_wBattery.zip

That's it. Temp between 47 - 51. So bad readings from istat widget (non pro version).

Very Good, for most reliable results/readings you can test backing from a "mini" cold boot, just about 20 minutes. In other hands, what about sleep in your 550? I mean, thermal.kext unload/load from SleepWatcher blablabla. Cheers.

Note: Definitely Im agree with BlackCH, S3 (hibernate mode 3) is the best safesleep mode. Reason why coming by default.

I want to know about the battery behavior from other users:

Basically what I notice is that SystemProfiler (under Power) always report different 'Full charge capacity' value (sometimes the value goes up, sometimes down). Also sometimes the battery percentage charge fluctuates (without being disconnected from the AC): 100%, after sleep/wake 99-98 percent.

I had problems with a relatively new battery I purchased on e-bay (together with a burned 6720s, hehe!). Aparently OSX didnt detected it well and it shut down without warning. It seemed it killed the battery (it refused to charge again), but after swapping it with the old one a couple of times I was able to make it work. After calibrate it I get like 1:40 battery time (almost the same as in Windows 7)...

How the battery works for the rest of you? Do you calibrate it often?

Juanerson, Usas los plugins del FakeSMC.kext (para monitorear las temperaturas)?

... Basically what I notice is that SystemProfiler (under Power) always report different 'Full charge capacity' value (sometimes the value goes up, sometimes down). Also sometimes the battery percentage charge fluctuates (without being disconnected from the AC): 100%, after sleep/wake 99-98 percent.

Juanerson, Usas los plugins del FakeSMC.kext (para monitorear las temperaturas)?

My report for you: Basically I notice the same behavior about different full capacity all the time... and the same from Leopard if I have good memory... So, even in windows after some restarts/cold boot, is the same thing. Therefore, at least "in my case" seems to be a "normal" behavior from battery in both systems, like fluctuations, random ignitions of the load light (some unexpected ON), etc. Maybe its normal all this, due to the progressive wearing down of the battery. I don't know.

No, no uso otro fakesmc que no sea el de Netkas, es decir, original (solo unos ajustes al info.plist) y sin plugins. Los demás (las variantes de Slice y mozodojo) no me convencen de algo por lo que realmente valga la pena usarlos. Por cierto, el mensaje de emergency no lo he vuelto a ver desde hace aproximadamente 2 semanas, como te comenté, actualmente mi dsdt tiene movida la sección de la batería dentro de LPCB, justo después de EC... siguiendo una recomendación, y no sé por qué extraña razón noto mejoría en cuanto a consistencia (y confiabilidad) en la duración de la batería... de hecho, he leído un testimonio en projectosx con similares resultados. También debo decir, ahora en español, con respecto al comportamiento, que en mis inicios en el hackintosh con la misma batería, 100% era 100% en ambos sistemas, pero al transcurrir el tiempo 98% era 98% también en ambos sistemas, incluyendo el tema de las fluctuaciones, por lo tanto nada significativo que destacar que marcara una diferencia determinante sobre la duración, como es lógico al principio, hace casi 2 años la batería me duraba 4 hr, luego bajó a 3 hr, y en día todavía me aguanta 2:30 hr (casi cronometrado jejeje), todo en trabajo "normal". Lo digo por si acaso tienes poco tiempo con dual boot (OS X/Win) en la portátil, y en ese aspecto yo pueda aportar algo más de experiencia, pero puedo estar perfectamente equivocado. En fin, sabemos que los drivers no nativos en Mac pueden ser deficientes, y que de seguro por consiguiente pudieran ocasionar inconsistencias, es solo una opinión objetiva y generalizada. Sin embargo, por aquel mensaje, ya sabes que tampoco descarto algún daño en mi batería, aunque últimamente no he tenido nada que reprochar al respecto Amigo mío. Por cierto, como calibro la batería? Saludos.

To calibrate the battery just let it empty until the computer goes to sleep. Leave it like that (unplugged) for at least 5 hours. Plug it back and turn in on. Same for Windows/OSX. Is recommended to do it once a month to maximize the battery charge. Its safer if you empty the battery in Windows and then charge it in OSX

Probe esto que te digo arriba windows porque habia tenido problemas con la bateria en OSX (shut down en 30%), pero al recargarla lo hice en OSX y ahora puedo usar la bateria hasta el final de la carga. He instalado esta utilidad para que la maquina entre en sleep cuando llega a una capacidad designada, porque aunque esto deberia pasar automaticamente (como en un mac) no se si funcionara en mi maquina. Tambien he instalado SmartSleep y UnPlugged que van muy bien. Un saludo

Por cierto, estoy usando el ultimo DSDT que me enviaste. Va muy bien! Le he agregado algunas cositas para mi maquina (control de brillo, etc)...

EDIT:

Lo que me gusta del FakeSMC de slice/mozodojo son la deteccion automatica de tjmax, monitor de temperatura para la x3100 y que puedo usar iStat (pro/widget/menu) para leer temperaturas

post-51637-1291074628_thumb.png

post-51637-1291074678_thumb.png

Y quizas con un poco de trabajo en el dsdt se podria implementar lectura de fan y motherboard temp

Thanks for this package - i've got 10.6.3 working almost perfectly now on my 6720s...I say almost, because the wifi (Intel I believe) is not working. I've been looking online and it seems as though it's simply not supported, and I need to buy a new card. Is that correct? If so, can you recommend a cheap & compatible one? And should I buy a USB or can I install one in the laptop?

Cheers :) this thread has been so helpful to me!

Leigh

Thanks for this package - i've got 10.6.3 working almost perfectly now on my 6720s...I say almost, because the wifi (Intel I believe) is not working. I've been looking online and it seems as though it's simply not supported, and I need to buy a new card. Is that correct? If so, can you recommend a cheap & compatible one? And should I buy a USB or can I install one in the laptop?

Yes, Intel cards do not work under OSX.

Best option is to buy a Broadcom mini-pcie card (no usb). The chips that works natively (without modifying the drivers) are:

BCM94311, BCM94312, BCM94313, BCM94318, BCM94319, BCM9431a, BCM94320, BCM94324, BCM94325, BCM94328, BCM9432b, BCM9432c and BCM9432d.

If you use the normal BIOS provided by HP, any of these cards you buy must be an official HP replacement part as the BIOS will check and if the card is not HP branded it wont boot. That is the reason why some of us are using a hacked BIOS (link on the first post). The hacked BIOS has the 'wifi card check routine' bypassed so you can use any card from any vendor (OEM, dell, Acer, even an original Apple card) without a problem.

4311/4312 (a/b/g 54mbit/sec) cards are really cheap these days on ebay (maybe less than 5 euros) and they work well, but if you want a faster 'n' card you should look for a 4328. USB cards are no option (they are more expensive and usually they need extra drivers to work). Its really easy to replace the mini PCIe card yourself...

Cheerz

Yes, Intel cards do not work under OSX.

Best option is to buy a Broadcom mini-pcie card (no usb). The chips that works natively (without modifying the drivers) are:

BCM94311, BCM94312, BCM94313, BCM94318, BCM94319, BCM9431a, BCM94320, BCM94324, BCM94325, BCM94328, BCM9432b, BCM9432c and BCM9432d.

If you use the normal BIOS provided by HP, any of these cards you buy must be an official HP replacement part as the BIOS will check and if the card is not HP branded it wont boot. That is the reason why some of us are using a hacked BIOS (link on the first post). The hacked BIOS has the 'wifi card check routine' bypassed so you can use any card from any vendor (OEM, dell, Acer, even an original Apple card) without a problem.

4311/4312 (a/b/g 54mbit/sec) cards are really cheap these days on ebay (maybe less than 5 euros) and they work well, but if you want a faster 'n' card you should look for a 4328. USB cards are no option (they are more expensive and usually they need extra drivers to work). Its really easy to replace the mini PCIe card yourself...

Cheerz

OK - I'm going searching on Ebay!

Thanks for the advice dude.

Leigh

I've not had problems with battery measurment since sl 10.6.2. In fact, i've stuck at 2:40 at maximum charge, which is far better than on Windows (1:30).

What i must note is that battery will fluctuate depending on the use you do of the system (running g2 cores, using gpu or heavy i/o operations will make the battery metter recalculate the time last under that conditions, so of course you'll get different values).

What i must note is that battery will fluctuate depending on the use you do of the system (running g2 cores, using gpu or heavy i/o operations will make the battery metter recalculate the time last under that conditions, so of course you'll get different values).

Yes, sure. Time mesurement is relative to the CPU activity. I was talking about charge percentual and mAh charge capacity (those should be absolute values and they dont seem to be, but I guess is AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext limitation)

Guys please take a look to this thread, great job courtesy by Andy. The results seems to be NOT just "cosmetics". Very happy here. P.D. BlackCH my friend, I have done the dsdt for you, very slimed, clean and ready for your additions, also tested in clean installation from boot pendrive 10.6 retail source and PERFECT! I will send you today or tomorrow. Has another reason for to be happy jejeje. Cheers.

Guys please take a look to this thread, great job courtesy by Andy. The results seems to be NOT just "cosmetics". Very happy here. P.D. BlackCH my friend, I have done the dsdt for you, very slimed, clean and ready for your additions, also tested in clean installation from boot pendrive 10.6 retail source and PERFECT! I will send you today or tomorrow. Has another reason for to be happy jejeje. Cheers.

Hello my friend, thanks for the DSDT. I've been testing the last one you sent me (with benchmarks, and also in my real job doing some multitrack recording sessions) and it works very well, very stable. I will do a couple of additions (generic brightness, etc) by myself and if is ok with you I will post it (as a generic version without PSS, etc) in the first page. I think all users will benefit from it. As I told you, later this month I would like to do a new version of the boot CD and I would like to include your DSDT there as well if you dont have a problem with that. Cheers!

oh, by the way, did You have problems with your DVD dive before installing Andy's kext? I been using it for over a week (without scrax's addition, I will add it later) but I havent test the drive functionality yet...

Guys, help me please.

I have problems with brightness control - half of the screen is darker than the other.

I add in DSDT code as advised BlackCH, but I can not compile this file.

Gives an error "Error 4095 - syntax error, unexpected $ end ^".

The third day trying to fix this error, but did not obtain..

Tell me please what I'm doing wrong.

I attach files DSDT, with whom I worked.

dsdt_original.zip

dsdt_errors.zip

Guys, help me please.

I have problems with brightness control - half of the screen is darker than the other.

I add in DSDT code as advised BlackCH, but I can not compile this file.

Gives an error "Error 4095 - syntax error, unexpected $ end ^".

We will post juanerson's lastest DSDT version with all the enhencements (brightness control included) soon.

In the meantime you can try this one:

Thanks for the answer, BlackCH.

Incredible, but the compiler gives an error again ..

Intel ACPI Component Architecture

ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20091214 [Dec 16 2009]

Copyright © 2000 - 2009 Intel Corporation

Supports ACPI Specification Revision 4.0

/Users/alexmer/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl 8005: */

Error 4096 - syntax error, unexpected $end ^

ASL Input: /Users/alexmer/Library/Application Support/EvOSoftware/DSDT/DSDTFiles/dsdt.dsl - 8006 lines, 246751 bytes, 3714 keywords

Compilation complete. 1 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 0 Optimizations

Maybe the problem is in my compiler? Or the OS?

Thanks for the answer, BlackCH.

Incredible, but the compiler gives an error again ..

Maybe the problem is in my compiler? Or the OS?

I think its the compiler version. Which do not complain values as (//) in the beginning of certain commented parts, just works with (/*) at start. So, try the attached compiled one loading from /Extra or root directory (/). Let us know your results.

EDITED: BTW, erased the previous file (same BlackCH above). But the annotation is valid anyway about old compilers.

@yushir

I (finally) recieved the BCM4322 wifi card today. The guy had to send it three times (at least is what he said). The first two times the item got lost in the way. I was lucky the guy didnt want to risk a negative vote on e-bay so finally he sent it as signed mail and I got it today.

Theres nothing special to do for install it, just replace the card and OSX will automatically recognized as airport. Of course you need to be running the hacked BIOS (otherwise the machine wont boot unless you bought an HP branded card)

Now I need to do the Prasys rebranding hack so it gets recognized as genuine Apple card...

Cheerz!